( search forums )
outlining help
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Modding help
ice_man
September 2, 2005, 10:16 pm
Hi, im a n00b to modding, and I'm a newb here. I just wanted to know, how does Field Marshal do that kind of outlining? I'm confused T.T. Is the black outline better for all parts of the gun, or for just the outside outline? I need help!

- Iceman

Deleted User
September 2, 2005, 10:37 pm
Hey, welcome to the forums :)

Field Marshal does that kind of stuff (^_o) by looking at the gun and outlineing the outside and inside details, then I shade them. So in my opinion its better to outline all parts of the gun and the outside. Hope that helps, and for shading tutorials go Here.

ice_man
September 2, 2005, 10:51 pm
Awesome! Learning from the master. Thanks. Let's see what I can do with my trusty photoshop.

OH and another question -

What's better? Paint or Photoshop? And why?

Thanks,

- Iceman

Deleted User
September 2, 2005, 11:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by ice_manAwesome! Learning from the master. Thanks. Let's see what I can do with my trusty photoshop.

OH and another question -

What's better? Paint or Photoshop? And why?

Thanks,

- Iceman

In my opinion paint is better, I've never used photoshop before though. I like paint because its user friendly and you can do somthing to a specific pixel that you desire

Meandor
September 3, 2005, 2:13 am
I don't reccomend using pure black for internal details, unless you're looking forward to obtaining a cartoonish effect. Depending on the effect you want, you should use a different colour. Dark brown is ideal to create an idea of wood borders, or it can be used to recreate warmness. For metallic surfaces it's often best to use very dark blue though.
Here's the difference (roughly) between a w-interface made with dark red borders/details and one with very dark brown/black.
[IMAGE]

September 3, 2005, 4:29 am
Photoshop is nono unless u have extremely good computer power. Its tedious loadin photoshop, so stick to paint. FM:BMs tip, created a blank .bmp with many palates for different colours, helps instead of choosing new colours each time.

ice_man
September 3, 2005, 8:25 pm
Hey, thanks everyone for the tips, I'm taking them all into account and trying them all out.

- Iceman

-- Edit --

Also, what are the biggest dimensions a gun can be but still look good? 25 seems kinda large for the height...plz answer!

- Iceman

SERIAL KILLeR
September 3, 2005, 10:51 pm
18 pixels is the maximum height so the images wont overlap eachother.
So =< 17 pixels would be the best so there's minimum 1 pixel between each interface weapon.

ice_man
September 4, 2005, 1:05 am
And the result after 45 minutes of hard work, testing, and relaxing:
[IMAGE]
this one was done using the color black for shading and the color white for highlights, both set at 15% opacity.
[IMAGE]
And this one was done using a color palette I did after the Sig 226es.

Which one looks better? comment and critique please.

- Iceman

P.S. For photoshop, u should just save the swatches as a color palette, and it makes life a bit easier instead of opening the palette as a diff. image.

Deleted User
September 4, 2005, 1:16 am
SWEET UZI!!!!

ice_man
September 4, 2005, 1:22 am
ok...not very useful critique, but thanks anyway...

Keron Cyst
September 4, 2005, 2:13 am
I like the pistols better. The Uzi looks a bit fat ACT...

ice_man
September 4, 2005, 2:15 am
[IMAGE]

And after another 20 minutes, here's the replacement for the AK-74 - the HK G3. I used a palette for this one, and I must say it came out nicely. Critique?

- iceman

Keron Cyst
September 8, 2005, 6:55 pm
Again, the handle (clip's all right) and the overall body of the gun look a bit large. But otherwise that's awesome for your third image!

SPARTAN_III
September 9, 2005, 12:08 pm
like the G3, but did you make those bullets yourself...?

meandor those guns kick ass