( search forums )
(moved) If bots could throw knives...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Bot Forum
Bunford5
September 3, 2005, 10:47 pm
This might be a very unrealistic request but does anyone know how to make the bots throw knives?

AWH_ReApEr
September 3, 2005, 10:56 pm
They simply don't. Michal hasn't programmed them to do so, therefore they don't.

Bunford5
September 5, 2005, 11:55 pm
I just assumed, having recently been introduced to the idea of all these bot creators/weapon editors and all that, that it would be possible to make a mod that adds the code needed (i have no idea what i'm talking about here) to make the bots throw knives.

If it's impossible to add as a mod then i'll just leave this as a request for the high priest of soldat himself Mr. 'M' to add it as a feature of a future version.

Norris Scott
September 19, 2005, 10:42 pm
Technically, I think it COULD be possible if there was a command able to be given to get the bots to drop their weapons. The only problem is that the knife wouldn't be thrown in the direction of the player--rather, the direction that the bot is facing.

vash763
September 19, 2005, 11:30 pm
if they were following the player (as usual) it would. just it would go low due to the arc.

bolhy
January 7, 2006, 9:45 am
yea but it would be fun if they'd throw em

Deleted User
January 7, 2006, 8:16 pm
heres something i have done u can make a gun shoot punchers when u are punched u can lose your weppon try shooting it at a bot with knife the knife will get thron

Keron Cyst
January 7, 2006, 9:01 pm
BaD SPLeR, he's trying to achieve realism here :-P

MM said bot programming was never of any high-priority on his to-do list, sadly. They "drop" their weapons in RamboMatch to pick up the bow, but that's all I know...

rabidhamster
January 7, 2006, 9:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by vash763if they were following the player (as usual) it would. just it would go low due to the arc.
actually no. i believe that bots calculate the arc of the bullet/knife, thus allowing them to get an accurate shot, even in weapon mods.

back on topic, this is entirely possible, and i would love to see it implemented, as long as the bot wouldn't throw the knife too early, like what they do with grenades. to see the early grenade throwing problem, make a bot with a 100% grenade throwing frequency. oh the horror, a bot trying to throw a grenade at me all the way from the other side of the screen!

Keron Cyst
January 8, 2006, 3:16 am
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamster... bots calculate the arc of the bullet/knife, thus allowing them to get an accurate shot, even in weapon mods....
That is true. The only problem is that they don't try to overshoot you, but they're hard enough ;-)

peemonkey
January 8, 2006, 3:35 am
michal could easily program them to do whatever he wants, he's god. i just wish he would.

vash763
January 8, 2006, 5:28 am
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterquote:Originally posted by vash763if they were following the player (as usual) it would. just it would go low due to the arc.
actually no. i believe that bots calculate the arc of the bullet/knife, thus allowing them to get an accurate shot, even in weapon mods.

back on topic, this is entirely possible, and i would love to see it implemented, as long as the bot wouldn't throw the knife too early, like what they do with grenades. to see the early grenade throwing problem, make a bot with a 100% grenade throwing frequency. oh the horror, a bot trying to throw a grenade at me all the way from the other side of the screen!

I didn't know about the auto arcy thing.

bolhy
January 17, 2006, 1:58 pm
I wish that too cuz it'd be fun like hell =)

UltraMagnus
April 17, 2006, 8:39 pm
the only way i could think to make them do it would be to mod the knife to "fire" knifes instead of be a normal knife, but thats not what you want.....

the only other possibility is to bug MM to get off his ass and do it....

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 9:01 pm
I'd like to see the bot throw the knife, as of the new version the knife has a "delay".
We don't want the bots to only "scratch" us, do we?

DB_Diablo
April 26, 2006, 9:09 pm
Bots 'can' throw their knives.

I was playing in a zombie server two days ago when a knife zombie had a stroke of genius (or maybe a coding error) to throw his knife and kill someone, and then picked up another knife and continued stabbing the air.

It's a conspiracy! >:O