( search forums )
do miniguns actually power up?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Deleted User
September 6, 2005, 1:16 am
ok i'm not sure but i don't think miniguns power up like they do in soldat, so i propose the minigun at first fires very slowly, then start firing very fast like it does, like so:
! is bullet firing

!...!...!.!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User
September 6, 2005, 2:22 am
It fires at a steady rate, the "spin-up" is the barrels reaching their firing rate until the minigun's slugs are loaded.

There is no !..!..!.!!!!!, otherwise the gun may jam, and it'd be a lot more complex to load bullets at variable firing rates that may depend on the barrel's viscosity and your environment.

Short answer - No.

zyxstand
September 6, 2005, 3:21 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt fires at a steady rate, the "spin-up" is the barrels reaching their firing rate until the minigun's slugs are loaded.

There is no !..!..!.!!!!!, otherwise the gun may jam, and it'd be a lot more complex to load bullets at variable firing rates that may depend on the barrel's viscosity and your environment.

Short answer - No.

...what he said

Zero72
September 6, 2005, 4:07 am
A friend of mine who's into guns and knows a guy who owns at least one real minigun says there's no wind-up time at all. That and they fire like over 5000 rounds per minute.

Deleted User
September 6, 2005, 12:53 pm
...see miniguns dont power up in real life, it should fire slower then start going faster, but if you dont like this idea then dont post in it :)

September 6, 2005, 1:12 pm
But how do you carry a minigun. Bear in mind that miniguns are really heavy and require a lot of power... besides, n00bs would have it too easy.

person
September 6, 2005, 1:38 pm
An infantry minigun was actually made by the US army, kind of like the one in the movie Predator. But alas, it was deemed unwieldy at best and inefficient, leading to the decision for the weapon to never be used.
Also in real life, the bullets should spit out much faster than they do here, and you'd definetly have the ability to hold much more ammo than 100 rounds.

papasurf31
September 6, 2005, 3:30 pm
barrel's viscosity? I think you might mean velocity there...

Actually, I remember reading an article from a while back. The m134 minigun would chew through 100 rounds in less then a second. All the guns in soldat have much slower ROFs than their real life counterparts. It also said that the movie predator was inaacurate as the minigun would be far too heavy for one man to lift and that the recoil would slam him on his back and that the backpack he had on would only be about enough ammo for maybe 10 seconds of continuos firing.

Zero72
September 6, 2005, 4:09 pm
Yeah, the minigun is easily the least realistic gun in the game, I'd say. The idea of carrying one around as a personal weapon is pretty absurd, the ammo count, fire rate, accuracy and actual damage per bullet are all wildly innacurate, and so-on. =P

Real miniguns fire so fast that it makes a loud hum instead of distinct, seperate gunshot sounds.

bond_james_bond
September 7, 2005, 12:19 am
Unforutunately, I know nothing about real weapons...

But what if two players could cooperatively carry one gun!!

totalcommander
September 7, 2005, 2:21 pm
some american miniguns are capable of firering 12000rpm

and imagine a 9X19mm minigun?? that would kick lesser, be lesser bulky, be lighter and so, and i think it would be pretty deadly in cqb

what is the precision of such a beast?? con it compete with rifles??

-Total Commander

Deleted User
September 7, 2005, 4:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by personAn infantry minigun was actually made by the US army, kind of like the one in the movie Predator. But alas, it was deemed unwieldy at best and inefficient, leading to the decision for the weapon to never be used.
Also in real life, the bullets should spit out much faster than they do here, and you'd definetly have the ability to hold much more ammo than 100 rounds.

Not sure if the US ever made one, but the one in predator is completely fiction. I read a report on it, and the force it would make would blow him back, the ammo in his backpack would be used up in a few seconds and the battery required to power it would weigh at least 50 pounds on top of everything else.

Koon
September 8, 2005, 4:15 am
I like it the way it is, it forces people to avoid using it as an assault weapon.

Deleted User
September 8, 2005, 6:37 am
is it just me or is this the wrong forum section to post this in. id say this is more of a suggestion

person
September 8, 2005, 7:56 am
I know the weapon used in the movie is fake, that's why I said "similar". And what I wrote is true, so take it as you will.