( search forums )
Minitutorials - Bots movements.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Bot Forum
mar77a
September 6, 2005, 9:49 pm
Are you tired of bots not going where you want? Wondered why bots never fly where you tell them? This minitutorials will help you!

Using some of my experiencie on waypointing, plus MM waypointing skills I wrote this tips.

This first one is based on ctf_Kampf.

[IMAGE]

[A.] Always put more than one "waypoint" where the bot is expected to arrive. Try circling the whole area the bot is most likely to reach when flying towards the desired target. By following this concept, you can be sure the bot will always have one waypoint to "touch".

[B.] There's no need to connect flying waypoints that are just for spawned bots. That is, bots will go flying until their jetpack is over and then fall and follow the first waypoint they find.

[C.] Always put more than one "waypoint" after jumps. Bots are very unpreditable, so rules on [A] apply to jumps.

[D.] Guides, guides, guides. Always assume the bot will not get to the other "waypoint" in a straight line, so put guiding waypoints like shown in the pic.

This other I made, gets a bit into.

[IMAGE]

In this example, I'll show you new variants of the other stuff plus new tricks.

[A.] The best way to make a bot brake when you want him to get into a vertical tunnel and the speed is too fast? The waypoint .a is set to "Right", so the bot will try to reach it and eventually slow down and end hitting the waypoint beside it.

[C.] When a bot comes with a lot of inertia, and you need him to jump a small step, remember always to put the jumping waypoint a bit before the "Up" waypoint. To make sure the bot will always make it, read [B.].

[B.] After following steps on [C], remember to put a waypoint right above the waypoint with the "Up" command (.b). It is recomendable that you set "Wait one second", because if the bot has reached this stage, it means he has probably emptied his jet fuel.

[D.] Remember the "net" (thx Geo.), it's very important to make the bot catch any waypoint when flying.

[E.] Make bots move naturally. This means fast and effinciently as humans, so in every ocasion you have, try and put "Up" plus "Left/Right" (depending on the direction, of course) to make the bot gain speed. If you see the bot will get a lot of inertia when reaching a jump waypoint, always adjust the distance accordingly.

Other stuff: Bot waypoints are always affected by enmies that they may encounter. When a bot locks on an enemy, waypoints are ignored. So put wayppoints in every part of the map, because you never know where a bot may end after an encounter.
A way to get into a kind of debug mode, is setting the "Respawn Time" to 200, and killing yourself so you get to spectate the bots.
Now we are here, remember to use the /kill command. Thanks god it was added.

Some common mistakes:

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

- http://waypoints.enesce.com

Happy Waypoiting.

Deleted User
September 7, 2005, 10:34 am
i have used that tactic for a long time..
i think you should add more bothelp, and make it stickey.

The Geologist
September 7, 2005, 3:25 pm
What are you talking about Sprocket...since when did you make maps? The last map from you I remember was someome elses..consider yourself humiliated.

Good little guide..a bit more depth might be nice, but not totally needed. You mention something similar, but I like to make a type of "net" of waypoints to almost catch my flying bot, ensuring he hits a waypoint that will keep him moving. Also, if a bit is flying particularly high I try and slip in one or two additional fly points just in case the bot begins to head the wrong direction. Trial and error though :/

Deleted User
September 16, 2005, 11:03 pm
i have made like thirty maps you fat brown hobo! they're all at www.soldatshack.tk

Raptor
September 17, 2005, 4:00 pm
I hope you are happy now The Geologist...

About the "mini tutorials", those tactics were posted millions of years ago by Freeze and there's nothing new I learned from it.

Edit: The first pic doesn't work...

Yukwunhang
September 17, 2005, 4:35 pm
This is not for you only. At least he did something but you don't.

mar77a
September 17, 2005, 4:48 pm
Raptor, can you link me to that topic "Freeze" wrote you are saying please?

Raptor
September 20, 2005, 11:17 pm
http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/host/sml/files/The%20Waypoint%20Tutorial%207-21.doc

I hope you are happy now...

mar77a
September 21, 2005, 1:17 am
I was happing until i noticed you reached the 500 posts and i started to swear against you...

Again, thank you.