( search forums )
Windows vs Macintosh
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Hitman
September 8, 2005, 7:06 pm
I'm going to film school in November and I was thinking of getting one of these babies as Mac is renowned (supposedly) for its' film making capabilities. Plus, the film school also uses Macs and Final Cut Pro. Getting your own Laptop is not a requirement, but I've got enough money saved up to get one.

Now, I've seen a lot of people claiming that Mac's are really s**t, and I'd like to know why. What does Windows have over Mac? I'd like sensible answers though, not "Omg, leik, Windows has more games!" - I couldn't give two s**ts about the games. I've watched the Quick Tour (QuickTime required) for the new operating system, Tiger, and quite frankly it looks absolutely amazing.

I've had non-stop problems with Windows. Even my current Pentium 4, 2,80 Ghz laptop with 512 Mb of Ram struggles with making a film in Windows Movie Maker. From what I've seen Mac does seem to be better, hardware and software wise.

Let the fight begin.

Nephilim
September 8, 2005, 7:46 pm
Mac's are definitely a lot cooler. My school has some and they are absolutely amazing. What are the differences between windows and mac? What programs CAN'T mac run that windows can?

b00stA
September 8, 2005, 7:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanNow, I've seen a lot of people claiming that Mac's are really s**t, and I'd like to know why.

Won't happen.
I've never used a Mac before, so I can't tell you anything either.

UltraMagnus
September 8, 2005, 8:42 pm
so, windows and osx/tiger are the only operating systems in existance now?

Kazuki
September 8, 2005, 9:21 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't creating a video require the same amount of hardware power no matter what operating system you're using? If that is the case, then a Windows laptop is definately the way to go, because Macs use a lot less RAM and don't need as much processing speed, I believe, looking at Mac specs. That being said, you'd have a much better time making a film with a Windows laptop than you would with a Mac laptop based on the specs.

That's what I think, anyway. If that is not that case, then a Mac would be better for compability reasons with your school. That's my input.

Hitman
September 8, 2005, 10:24 pm
Kazuki, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that a operating system that doesn't require as much RAM to run is bad?

I can't remember where I heard/read this from but apparently Macs are faster because they don't use Dos. I have no idea what this has to do with the price of tea in China, but if somebody could clarify this for me it would be much appreciated.

Kazuki
September 8, 2005, 11:18 pm
No, I'm not saying that, I'm saying that since it uses less RAM to run, and the video-making process uses just as much RAM in Mac OS as it does in Windows, then it will be at a large decrease in performance.

Rambo_6
September 8, 2005, 11:29 pm
He's saying the quadrapular defibilator conjugates with the polar flux-magnet which, in turn, triangulates the RAM. This means your OS needs to be rebooted and ejected into the quadrant parrallell to the X-coordinate of your Hard-drive.

Deleted User
September 9, 2005, 12:07 am
you forgot about the triangular diracti......now how theh ell did you ferget that?

vash763
September 9, 2005, 12:14 am
Idk, i would suggest mac, it literally never crashes.

That and i like how integrated the software and hardware is.

I wanted a Powerbook, but im stuck with the 14 in ibook

Deleted User
September 9, 2005, 12:54 am
Sadly, im on a mac right now... and I can tell you it is completely (Please refrain from swearing), it can run CHESS!!11 but cant even run age of empires or e-messenger...

but yeah, eMacs are very good for film editing with iMovie and digital photos. iMacs are just crap.

Aquarius
September 9, 2005, 1:04 am
quote:Idk, i would suggest mac, it literally never crashes.

I have worked on _many_ Macs and it crashed as often as modern PC with OS >= Windows2000 (rarely but Macs DO crash).

Rambo_6
September 9, 2005, 1:08 am
Saying macs don't crash is like saying George bush hasn't gotten p1ss drunk and worn a lampshade on his head.

My school had a whole computer lab full of faulty crapMacs. We had to return them all because they kept crashing.

vash763
September 9, 2005, 1:25 am
Well, mine literally never crashes.

are the macs public computers?

EDIT: but yes, emacs blow, and i bet imacs do too. and i just realized im captain

Hitman
September 9, 2005, 1:44 am
Hold on, you guys are talking about the new Macs with the newest operating system that keep crashing right?

Deleted User
September 9, 2005, 1:57 am
Mac OSX doesnt crash O.o

_Mancer_
September 9, 2005, 2:05 am
Macs and PC's both have their ups and downs.

Macs +:

Great for visual editing (Photoshop, film making, photos)
Easy navigation
Top of the line graphics
runs smoothly with a good internet connection

Macs -:

It like it isnt compatable with ANYTHING..
Has been known to lock up accasionally and screw up backfiles

Well I mean if your going for gaming get a PC, but if you want to edit,manipulate and create film or files, go with the mac.

(Oh and I also heard theres no right click for mac ._.)

Elephant_Hunter
September 9, 2005, 2:37 am
quote:Originally posted by UltraMagnusso, windows and osx/tiger are the only operating systems in existance now?

Cookie.
September 9, 2005, 3:57 am
"(Oh and I also heard theres no right click for mac ._.)"

P433r the one button mouse :'(

Kazuki
September 9, 2005, 4:27 am
Yeah, you have to hold down the button in order to execute a function similar to right-clicking in Windows. It's really quite retarded, but I suppose you get used to it if you use Macs enough. :P

n00bface
September 9, 2005, 5:25 am
They're good for film editing I guess. I don't know for a fact because Mac's are crap for anything I'd ever use them for, but like in movies, you always see the actors using Macs, 'cos they all belong to the directors who don't want to buy a computer just to use as a prop. yup. true story that i pulled right out of my ass.

vash763
September 9, 2005, 6:02 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_

(Oh and I also heard theres no right click for mac ._.)

Mac mouses=no right click

Non-Mac mous=yes right click (atleast this brand called kensington, i love there super small mouse)

Deleted User
September 9, 2005, 6:29 am
quote:Originally posted by HitmanI'm going to film school in November and I was thinking of getting one of these babies as Mac is renowned (supposedly) for its' film making capabilities. Plus, the film school also uses Macs and Final Cut Pro. Getting your own Laptop is not a requirement, but I've got enough money saved up to get one.

Now, I've seen a lot of people claiming that Mac's are really s**t, and I'd like to know why. What does Windows have over Mac? I'd like sensible answers though, not "Omg, leik, Windows has more games!" - I couldn't give two s**ts about the games. I've watched the Quick Tour (QuickTime required) for the new operating system, Tiger, and quite frankly it looks absolutely amazing.

I've had non-stop problems with Windows. Even my current Pentium 4, 2,80 Ghz laptop with 512 Mb of Ram struggles with making a film in Windows Movie Maker. From what I've seen Mac does seem to be better, hardware and software wise.

Let the fight begin.

the big promblem with macs are that nuffing works with them and it has a bad interface but the machine is better that most pc and there video card are like on speed but its hard to find games for them and stuff but i think if your just going to use it for a film maker then hell ya buy the damm thing but then again if you want to use it for fun like games and everyday stuff buy a other pc

edit=hmmmmmm it looks like i just said what everybody else is saying
but the macs video cards are insane vs pc's but you can only ONLY!!!! use the video card on a damm film /// i think linnest migth run more programs

vash763
September 9, 2005, 8:04 am
The interface is GREAT, its so simple.

Idk, games aren't my huge thing so I don't really worry about them not working for Macs (i just play at my dads). But things do work for it... Microsoft Products, Adobe, Macromedia etc. that's just off the top of my head.

[IMAGE]

That's pretty cool too, makes things alot easier (I'm still on Panther).

And I know it's no where near the Windows following, [URL]

m00`
September 9, 2005, 8:07 am
macs are shyt and f*cked up, the ones at our school crash every 5 minutes, screw how the interface looks, who ever made macs think curved edges make a good operating system, in short macs are f*cken pathetic

vash763
September 9, 2005, 8:48 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`macs are shyt and f*cked up, the ones at our school crash every 5 minutes, screw how the interface looks, who ever made macs think curved edges make a good operating system, in short macs are f*cken pathetic

dude any computer I've ever had at school (PC's) is a POS

SPARTAN_III
September 9, 2005, 2:54 pm
in my opinion macs suck, because they have no soldat. end of story, case closed, guilty as charged.

Denacke
September 9, 2005, 3:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIin my opinion macs suck, because they have no soldat. end of story, case closed, guilty as charged.

Ah I was wondering when someone would make a retarted comment like this :)

m00`
September 10, 2005, 3:03 am
btw i read the first post now, and Hitman, those powerbook G4 THINGS ARE SHYT AS HELL, we have like 200 of them in our school, they are shyt just like any other mac product, ITS PATHETIC!111, we make movies at school all the time and it freezes all the time, its pathetic, seriously, YOU've GOTTA BELIVE MEEE

frogboy
September 10, 2005, 3:25 am
Macs are good for Multimedia, but that's about it. They're terrible for servers, they're terrible for gaming...

mar77a
September 10, 2005, 3:28 am
What about MS Office?

m00`
September 10, 2005, 3:32 am
yah their also pathetic with that, they freeze for 5 seconds every time i type in a letter in word and when i click the minimise button it takes 5 minutes to minimise and you cant load more than 1 prgram at the same time without it crashing

vash763
September 10, 2005, 3:48 am
Well I'm running word, itunes ichat Safari and a ton of (Please refrain from swearing) in the background

OMG NO CRASH

guess what, its just an ibook

SPARTAN_III
September 10, 2005, 2:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by Denackequote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIin my opinion macs suck, because they have no soldat. end of story, case closed, guilty as charged.

Ah I was wondering when someone would make a retarted comment like this :)

Ah i was wondering when some asshat would quote my retarded comment :P

i hate macs, almost no compatibility. and white casing? come on, get some real designers. and wtfs with teh stupid crappy one button mouse?

frogboy
September 10, 2005, 2:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIand wtfs with teh stupid crappy one button mouse?
Yeah, even Microsoft, who are renowned for their terrible support for standards, have had mice with two buttons + scrollwheel for years.

lastpatriot
September 10, 2005, 7:27 pm
As much as I despise Microsoft, they make a decent operating system.

VodkaZombie
September 11, 2005, 2:14 am
Mac has a cleaner interface, and overall Macs have more security than windows. Its nearly impossible having a virus on a mac.

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 2:17 am
Im forced to use windows, Bill Gates said he'd shoot me if I switched.

m00`
September 11, 2005, 2:53 am
quote:Originally posted by VodkaZombieMac has a cleaner interface, and overall Macs have more security than windows. Its nearly impossible having a virus on a mac.

its not the security, its the fact that, NO ONE USES MACS

frogboy
September 11, 2005, 3:58 am
quote:Originally posted by VodkaZombieand overall Macs have more security than windows. Its nearly impossible having a virus on a mac.
It's the same with any UNIX variant - BSD, Darwin(which OSX is based on), Linux, etc. because:
1. It's not used as much as Windows
2. The design focuses more on security than on user-friendliness.

vash763
September 11, 2005, 4:06 am
I have to agree, I've never had a virus.

Hell I havn't even restarted this thing in a few months.