( search forums )
Animations
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Svirin Kerath
September 9, 2005, 6:08 pm
I remember, a while ago, there were a few people proposing animated elements in the game. i remember i suggested animating weapons, specifically by implementing the same idea that was never used for the minigun... having multiple pics for each weapon and switching between them rapidly when the weapon was used.

there could be other things animated... parachutes, items, polygons, scenery, etc (tho the latter would probably fall more under map suggestions, it is nonetheless animation). this would make the game more interesting, but it would also make the mod opportunities tremendous.

the trees could sway gently from side to side. the pistols could have the slides move back when they fire, and finally, the minigun would rotate.

but when modded, the knife could become a laser sword that ignites when you swing it. the AK could turn into a pulse rifle that glowed and steamed whenever it was fired. weapons could come to look more like megaman powerups and DBZ powerups. these are just a few possibilities... and these are off the top of my head.

it shouldn't be too hard to implement. if the graphics are changed to GIFs, as some have proposed, it would be even more simple. even without, it's still easy. i dunno how many of you recall the captain underpants book, but all you'd have to do is add a second picture, a 3rd and 4th to be ambitious, and it would work basically the same way, switching them rapidly. like the explosion effect, for instance.

i'd like to open this back up for discussion.

Keron Cyst
September 9, 2005, 6:17 pm
There's already a thread on this but that focuses purely on .GIFs. Multiple .BMPs sounds good.

I'd like a second Chainsaw frame like the Minigun, and weapons.INI should allow you to select how much time you want each frame to show.

GAMEOVER
September 9, 2005, 6:20 pm
Sounds kinda like the frames we have when dealing with explosions not a bad idea imo but im guessing its gonna be a lot of codeing and mad mod time. Full mods will take forever to make really good ones anyway.

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 12:07 am
A second frame on some of the guns wouldn't be too much more trouble, I imagine. You could always just use the same image for both frames if you're making a mod and don't really care that much about what's really a minor detail.

For something like a laser sword though, it'd be a real treat to click and hold the fire button, and see the blade appear, and then disappear again when you turn it off... Or maybe adding the various flashes the various guns make in a Goldeneye mod.

September 11, 2005, 1:36 am
And we slash and slash and slash somemore.

Cool idea, but michal might need some help, if he wants to do everything

Svirin Kerath
September 11, 2005, 2:59 pm
yeah, but even if he didn't wanna actually animate it himself, just leave the option open. so, as GO said, make both frames for the weapons the same, so in game they don't appear animated. i wouldn't demand that he animate them all himself, as it is a lot of work, but for modding, it would open up a lot of opportunities. simply having the ability to do so is all i really want. modders can take care of the rest.