( search forums )
RIP - M72 Law
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Anti-mff
September 10, 2005, 1:39 am
No more stylish long shots. No more rockets from the sky. No more switching to secondary and blasting people away.

Version 1.3 killed the Law.. and to what purpose?

Rest in peace.

N1nj@
September 10, 2005, 1:48 am
go to hell

Meandor
September 10, 2005, 1:54 am
NO U

frogboy
September 10, 2005, 1:55 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@go to hell
Well said.

LAW is fine. It's still capable of killing people. 0.4 seconds is nothing

GunPowder
September 10, 2005, 1:56 am
Specimen : Subject is in deep coma, Several mental distortions detected.
Main Diagnosis : General retardness and mental disability.

Dude, go get a life.

mar77a
September 10, 2005, 2:01 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by N1nj@go to hell
Well said.

Isn't that 0,3?

frogboy
September 10, 2005, 2:08 am
quote:Originally posted by mar77a
Isn't that 0,3?
It's 0.38333..., which is closer to 0.4

m00`
September 10, 2005, 2:19 am
its okey mar77a, frogboy helps me with my maths too!

The Geologist
September 10, 2005, 2:21 am
Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Maybe I should call the wambulance?

Or did you just eat a wamburger and some cries?

mickle89
September 10, 2005, 2:36 am
This goes out to all the LAW/WEAPON BALANCE COMPLAINERS OUT THERE --

SHUT THE (Please refrain from swearing) UP

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 3:48 am
lock :D

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 5:41 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by N1nj@go to hell
Well said.

do u use the law i didnt think so

~and if you do go tuck yourself

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 8:02 am
look on the bright side u can always use it as a 1 shot rocket spray
:P

_Mancer_
September 10, 2005, 8:42 am
It may be true that it can still kill quick even with the .3 second addon.... but it is also true that nobody uses it anymore. I used to use it all the time, and I use to see people use it all the time. Worthless to me now.

DeMonIc
September 10, 2005, 9:33 am
Ah come on. I use it on alt route, and it still gets great kills.

Zuppilo
September 10, 2005, 9:35 am
law is useless in 1.3

Vagabond
September 10, 2005, 9:51 am
Still fairly effective as a throwaway support weapon I think. Fire it into the opposing team's distant stronghold, then dump it and charge.

Da cHeeSeMaN
September 10, 2005, 10:13 am
omg this topic is useless

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 10:16 am
I agree, law has infact been killed in 1.3

I used to always use law and get atleast 2 kills per death with it; now I cant even get one.
I even killed somone with chainsaw while they waited for the LAW to shoot...

damnnation
September 10, 2005, 10:24 am
NO, law needs just more skill now, you all just suck >:1

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 10:41 am
C'mon, its not even a whole second, man.

STEELIX
September 10, 2005, 11:53 am
A second can be the difference b'tween life 'n death in soldat, matey. ;)

Mielos
September 10, 2005, 11:55 am
The 0.4 seconds delay just needs some time to get used to it. I mostly use the LAW now in 1.3 and its really effective, not as effective as a knife tough...

lastpatriot
September 10, 2005, 12:47 pm
Knives are for circus performers.

The LAW still works, by the way.

Keron Cyst
September 10, 2005, 3:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by lastpatriotKnives are for circus performers....

Ha ha, nice one :-D

I'm with EnEsCe here; I can't prone in mid-air, hold left-click, and BAM! anymore ;-(

tRaQs
September 10, 2005, 6:30 pm
i simply move with the law, then fire once i see someone, it its a miss, or damages somewhat hitting near them, I then proceed to rain on them with my hk mp5, so no, it isn't under powered, you just have to learn to consider a pre primary weapon.

solohan50
September 10, 2005, 6:50 pm
well, if the LAW's only problem was that .4 second delay, it would still be good. however, i found that after trying to use it for more than a week when i switched to 1.3, it was a helluva lot more buggy than that .4 seconds leads you to believe. i'd find myself holding the trigger for 2+ seconds without it even firing, and that's the reason i stopped using it. it just doesn't seem reliable enough anymore. sometimes i could land and fire the shot with the delay, other times i'd land, hold the trigger forever, then finally get tired of waiting and change my weapons again. so don't give me that "It's only .4 seconds". for me, it's the fact that it's far too buggy with that delay. now i'm just an avid socom user.

GAMEOVER
September 10, 2005, 6:58 pm
I dont use the law and fall victim to it still, yet the time thing I dont care for but more then that is the invisible law that gets on my nerves you die outta no where.

a-4-year-old
September 10, 2005, 7:29 pm
i hate that invisible bullets
*random death*
WTF?????
*respawns*
*random death*
WTF?????
it's even worse in those (Please refrain from swearing)ing (Please refrain from swearing) (Please refrain from swearing) mods
*hate mods!* (i know we covered the mods already but i still hate them!)

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 8:26 pm
although it's still usable,the 0.4 delay gives you a chance to jump up and shoot the LAW user in the head while he is crouching if it is at short range :(

grand_diablo
September 10, 2005, 8:41 pm
At first all the law users kinda disappeared, but recently it seems theyre returning. The delay could be a bit shorter maybe, but besides that the LAW is fine. The only problem I see (or actually dont see) are invisible LAW shots, which are about 99% :x

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 8:56 pm
Ever since 1.3 came out, I've only seen about seven or eight LAW users, and I can't blame people for not using it.

Cookie.
September 10, 2005, 9:00 pm
Soccom > Knife > No Wep > Chainsaw > Law

Kekeke ^__^

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 9:36 pm
I can tell you're a silly one, Cookie.

EDIT: That's not in a bad way.

In terms of apparent general usefulness, my line-up would be:

Knife > Chainsaw = SOCOM > LAW > Fists

I've seen LAW usage go down a lot since 1.3 started, and knife usage has gone way up. Also, although I have never really used it much, the few times I have used the LAW, I didn't experience any real problems with its firing rate. Once again though, I haven't used it much at all, so I can't really be a judge of that.

I think the main thing that happened here was everyone was scared off by the delay time, and by the time they had adjusted to automatics' binking they had all gotten comfy with another secondary (namely knife, and chainsaw to an extent), and stuck with it instead of trying to adjust to the LAW.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 9:40 pm
Knife > Socom > Chainsaw + Law + No wep

And all these people saying "Omg law requires skill now", I want you to try using it. I tried using law, im still trying to use it, but its simply ineffective. In clanwars I get around 1-3 kills per round with LAW(50% of law kills being lucky or blind shots), and in pubs getting a kill with law is basically impossible. THe problem is you are usually dead before law even fires, I mean if people actually had a chance to fire, eventually they can practice accuracy and get somewhat used to the Law, but its hard when you die before you fire :P.

Even these beta testers who said they still use law, I saw a few of them in servers using knife, and not even touching law while I was playing. Im not gonna say any names. I wont point any fingers, but right now it seems like the beta testers were biased about this issue of law being overpowered in last version, even though knife was used more than it. I honestly never saw any real complaints or big whine threads about law being overpowered, Nor did too many people complain in servers or clanwars about Law being "Lame or overpowered". Law/Socom and Knife were all pretty balanced in the last version, with each one being used for its own purposes and doing so effectively, Now it seems like Knife is way more usable and can be used for better rewards than all the other secondaries in every situation pretty much.

And just to defend my argument more, I am objective and I used mostly socom/m79 combo last version anyways.'

[Edit]
The biggest complaint I saw last version was about the "Law Runners", who just ran with law and shot anyone they saw, prettty much using no other weapon/no primaries either. It seems like that may be the best way to use Law this version, since switching to law, then getting on the floor, and then shooting takes even more time then simply running with it.

Anti-mff
September 11, 2005, 12:02 am
One can only laugh at some of the posts in this thread. You don't have to belive me but I am pretty skilled with Law and even though I'm completely useless with knife I get way more kills with it on 1.3. Both Socom and Chainsaw also gets me in a much better position than my former specialty and that really sucks since I'm not all that good with Socom, while chainsaw is simply not all that a good weapon.
Those who talk down on the 0.4 secs (if that's really what it is) should really try and put it into perspective since that is A LOT of time in the blink of an eye where you see the perfect shot coming. A good player will not only move away from the dangerous position in that time but also cause you a great deal of damage! Therefore, even if you perfectly use the weapon to its full extent it simply won't do when you're facing somebody with equal skills and another weapon.

Why do you think everybody's suddenly stopped using Law?

lastpatriot
September 11, 2005, 1:36 am
Think of this: Is a LAW really the right weapon for bull-charging into an enemy position, while they're firing?

No, it's not. That's what the MP5/Grenade combo is for: Going into close quarters and taking chunks out of the oppositions manpower, then getting the hell out of Dodge.

Shouldn't a LAW be used in a set area, and fire into the other team where they WON'T shoot you?

Jap_man
September 11, 2005, 8:46 am
The LAW has had some dramatic changes in 1.3.0, but still I find the LAW effective. Sure it's harder to kill opponents with it, but it's just a matter of getting used to it and knowing how to use it properly.

The trick with the LAW is to find some clear space and to try to predict your target's next movements and aim to your target's destination. Sure it is harder to use than the good ol' LAW from 1.2.1 but let's face it, thank god that it actually takes skill to use now, and that public servers are no longer littered with idiots firing LAW's blinly and whiners saying stuff like "omfg LAW is n00b" or some crap like that.
quote:Originally posted by Anti-mff
Why do you think everybody's suddenly stopped using Law?

Well, it's pretty obvious isn't it? Most player's stopped using the LAW because they found it too hard to adjust to the new changes, they would rather use something much more simpler to use such as the Knife or the Socom than try to re-learn how to use the LAW properly in 1.3. And really that's what usually happens with any weapon that gets slightly down-graded in Soldat.

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 9:20 am
i think i migth start using law but using it in a way like ~kill then drop law and pick up the guys wp that i just killed~

crazymonkey
September 11, 2005, 9:22 am
Despite everyone saying the law is fine, I hardly see anyone use one these days. Mostly just people running with knives. :X

UGK
September 11, 2005, 9:46 am
LAW is really useful to me in Real. in Laos when im playing on Bravo, i would get up that thing at the begging and shoot law from there. I shot a blind Law once and hit a guy in mid air (and tked my teammate)

tRaQs
September 11, 2005, 5:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by lastpatriotThink of this: Is a LAW really the right weapon for bull-charging into an enemy position, while they're firing?

No, it's not. That's what the MP5/Grenade combo is for: Going into close quarters and taking chunks out of the oppositions manpower, then getting the hell out of Dodge.

Exactly, personally I hate kniving, but not because I suck At it, But you have to be so up close, and if you don't kill them, you might be toast before weapons are switched.

Plus, A law can kill from virtually any length of the field, they are so powerful. I can blast a campers area with a blind shot, and even though it will probably not kill them, it will send them flying, campers usually can't aim when they are thrown off like that.

So although M79s, despite their power, aren't nescesarily a killing machine, they are more of a strategic swiss army knife to me, I still get alot of kills with them though, to a knifes what? short range kill, plus are they going to pick that knife up in the heat of a battle. knives, with good aim, can only solve a one dimensional problem.

Scooter_X
September 11, 2005, 5:49 pm
Me personally, I dont mind the changes too much with the law. Although when I first picked it up in 1.3, it felt more like 4 whole seconds. not 0.4! But I've gotten used to it now, and it doesnt bother me. Sometimes I do get pasted before it actually fires, but what the heck. It would just give me an opportunity to change my law strategy around a tad. And besides, I think it was originally supposed to be more like a mortar anyway.

I think I would've switched to the knife though had I ever been in the least bit effective with it. I agree with tRaQs, where if you dont kill them with the knife in that few precious seconds you have to stab the enemy, you (or me, rather) wind up dead. And I cant throw it worth a darn.

Anti-mff
September 11, 2005, 10:57 pm
I'd be pretty comfortable with a mortar too but the problem is that the blast is far too small for that, why it's all to unlikely that you'd actually hit people by chance.

I mean "I shot a blind Law once and hit a guy in mid air (and tked my teammate)".. do you consider this impressing?

Scooter_X
September 12, 2005, 1:02 am
Well yeah, the blast is too small. I just meant it was more an artillery than a quick-kill weap. Which is why I dont really mind the 0.4 second delay too much...

The @venger
September 12, 2005, 7:18 am
why not keep the dmg and splash the same, but make the delay 0.1 or 0.05 secs?
this would balance things up...
also to make the chainsaw work during animations...