( search forums )
What do you guys think of this idea?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 5:49 am
Alright, now bare with me here. I was thinking how in soldat weapon balance could be improved. What if different weapons would effect the sight range of your Soldat? Now, I know this might sound like a bad idea but think about it for a second. Soldat is primarely a close range game in death match. Almost always you arent more than half a viewable screen away from the person you kill. What if we shook things up a little and made say the ruger, AK 47 and Minimi have a wider view of the action, almost like a higher resolution. The desert eagles, shot-gun, M79, and MP5 could have the closest view of the action but the shortest viewing distance.

Im not talking game shattering distance here and this concept would require alot of rebalancing of the weapons but I think it's not bad. If theres ever a Soldat 2 with high resolution sprites and fancy particle effects mabey we would also see something like this implemented :P

Nephilim
September 10, 2005, 5:52 am
I think the idea is pretty cool and it would make sense. Maybe you should post it in the suggestions forum :D

TheRelinquished
September 10, 2005, 6:00 am
Too new school for me. I'm all about the unfair advantage of window viewing. =P

Nice idea for a Soldat 2 implementation though. That I could see*.

*no pun intended

T-Money
September 10, 2005, 6:17 am
I don't know. This would be a huge adjustment. Probably just better to leave it as it is, but it's a good idea anyway. As Relinquished said, it's too new school. You'll freak out all the people who've been around for a few versions.

Vagabond
September 10, 2005, 6:20 am
Yeah mate, a bit too much of a drastic change for me.

But a decent idea nevertheless, as long as it could be toggled on and off.

UGK
September 10, 2005, 6:28 am
woah back up with all this. I am not changing again!

September 10, 2005, 7:40 am
YES WE ARE!!!!!!

I love this concept. Allows more covering fire. Make it so that when crouching, it increases viewrange like a barret and increases accuracy, but when in zoom, ur soldat walks sluggishly.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 8:00 am
Maybe instead of making the screen bigger/ smaller,
why dont make soldats "blind"
long range weapons stays normal while short range weapon users can only spot other soldats ( like in real mode ) in their short ranged FOV. meaning if the other soldat is more than a half screen away he cant see him unless he come into hes FOV of half a screen.

Vagabond
September 10, 2005, 9:48 am
quote:Originally posted by player12345Maybe instead of making the screen bigger/ smaller,
why dont make soldats "blind"
long range weapons stays normal while short range weapon users can only spot other soldats ( like in real mode ) in their short ranged FOV. meaning if the other soldat is more than a half screen away he cant see him unless he come into hes FOV of half a screen.

Gosh, no!

The idea of Soldats suddenly appearing just infront of you, out of nowhere, even where there is no cover or hills or trees for hiding, just puts me off.

But to come and think about it... that idea might work if the fog of war is implemented... but yeah, it might be a bit messy and complicated.

Da cHeeSeMaN
September 10, 2005, 10:15 am
maybe. just maybe.

September 10, 2005, 10:15 am
No... making a limited field would be very hard to play CTF, how do we see the flagger or snipers? They'll take us out before we can even touch them

damnnation
September 10, 2005, 10:19 am
*ring-a-ring*
realistic mode anyone?

September 10, 2005, 11:07 am
Hey, im all for realistic mode. but im still interested in the 'Range of sight' idea.

Zero72
September 10, 2005, 11:10 am
quote:Originally posted by damnnation*ring-a-ring*
realistic mode anyone?
That's what I was thinking. We already have largely-unwanted recoil in regular mode, we don't need limited vision.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 1:13 pm
It may seem a bit radical but it could be good as it would make the minimi feel more like a machine gun rather than a bulky assualt rifle(although i know its not exactly a heavy 12.7mm MG).

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 3:58 pm
...Then Campers/snipers will pretty much own the day.

Michal
September 10, 2005, 5:38 pm
It would be nice if the view range was modifiable. I think the simplest way would be to determine the maximum possible distance (in pixels) between the gostek and the cursor.
I do think this would be good for balancing the weapons.

tRaQs
September 10, 2005, 6:26 pm
if you nailed someone with a deagle, they'd die on the spot. in this game you have to get nailed, 3 or four times.
This would rebalance it order to give it a realistic power, as is for other weapons.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 7:57 pm
Or maybe the weapons could have a kind of lesser barret zoom.

and about soldat 2, making it 3D would be interesting but it may lose it's soldat feel and just turn into a generic FPS.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 8:27 pm
First off I said high resolution sprites ala guilty gear x and x2. I wouldnt play soldat if it was in 3D. Of course this idea would also have to have all the levels rebalanced, and tweaked. I think that the cursor moving farther away from the soldat while the field of view gets larger and more zoomed out from the action is probably a better way of implementing my idea.

The long range weapons would also need to be either crazy inacurate at the ranges where the soldat using a close range weapon couldnt see them or make them weaker in the longer range. The barret could be changed so it's only a 1 hit kill with a head shot.

I dont think this idea could be implemented in the soldat we know now very well. Or it would take a ridiculous amount of work to implement. But it's an idea just the same. Mabey when soldat goes open source in a few years we will see someone do things like this.

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 9:56 pm
There would definitely need to be some weapons re-balancing (Ruger would own against DE, not to mention campers and whatnot), but I think the idea has potential. Instead of a general "now you see me, now you don't" field of view, though, it could be more gradual; soldats that are out of your weapon's field of vision could appear to be increasingly invisible as they get farther away, kinda like a quasi-pred thing... If they get far enough away they could randomly appear and reappear in short intervals, but it'd have to be pretty far away so as to avoid that whole "HOLY CRAP where'd that dude come from!?" thing that keeps me away from realistic servers. You know, enough to tell that someone's coming, but not enough to really aim and fire without a little guestimating on where exactly to point your gun.

In the end, I support this idea, as it would certainly promote the use of different guns, as opposed to everyone grabbing the same handful and ignoring ones like the steyr and minigun, and that it is actually somewhat feasible if done correctly.

September 11, 2005, 1:10 am
Remember, that we're only allowing the view to increase, not the speed. If you have an MP5, it wont do you much good if you can see a target but cant hit it. Eh? EH?

skatardude10
September 11, 2005, 4:50 am
I like this idea.

KiLLeRKloVVn
December 4, 2005, 7:54 pm
I like the idea too. Maybe if bullet speed effected this it would be better. Because if the default for the Spas had a short viewing range and a server had a WM that increased the speed, there wouldn't be much point in the idea. If a bullet will fly farther, like an M79, it would suck if it was landing outside of the viewing range.

Echo_Trail
December 5, 2005, 2:57 pm
c'mon..
if you wanna enlarge your field of view, do the obvious: Buy a bigger screen!!
i mean.. Dur!

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 6:01 pm
I don't think it works that way echo...

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
December 5, 2005, 6:49 pm
its a fuc*ing fast paced shooter not a tactical commando shooter ffs

GARAoftheDESERT
December 6, 2005, 2:57 pm
I would like to see this in Soldat (2?)
It might make the game something more, and take it places (and outdo that korean clone:)

Ok
December 6, 2005, 5:32 pm
Now the general idea of changing views would be great, IF:
1- The weapons balance would PERFECT (Its not)
2- Changing resolutions in the middle of the game would matter to your compy...
3- IF the game itself would be free of bugs and MM would actualy have time to do it.

Other than that, what you said up there is totaly wrong but I guess that's a matter of weapons balance.
Adding more sight to a ruger and AK and minimie (which are already spraying weapons) is a BAD BAD idea.

But again. the general idea, is great just not practical at the moment.