( search forums )
Physical props
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Jorourke92
September 10, 2005, 1:59 pm
what about props that move and interact with the environment (aka. rockslides, tipping over table for cover)
that might add an element to the game, and if it's computed on client side the will be no need to upgrade servers

Kyklis
September 10, 2005, 5:40 pm
Well, things like sandbags or tables that are tipped over have polygons behind them that let bullets colide. Meaning that if you wanted to tip a table over and have bullets hit it, and not you, the polygon would have to move unless Michael did some new coding.

Keron Cyst
September 10, 2005, 6:48 pm
How could it not be computed on server side? If you tip a table over for cover then obviously the collider moves and if the server doesn't register that it'll have been useless. And a moving collider is impossible anyways.

Kyklis
September 10, 2005, 6:57 pm
I am very lost at what you just said Keron. I know the collider would have to move; thats what I said ( I just refered to it as a polygon ). Another problem is with physical props, you could push the table EVERYWHERES, meaning the collider would be moving around like crazy.

Zegovia
September 10, 2005, 8:26 pm
I had an idea simillar to this one, about adding doors, elevators, teleports and light and door switches...

Deleted User
September 10, 2005, 10:13 pm
Doors, elevators, and teleports would be nice to have.

As for interactive scenery like what's being described, I'd have to say it's for the most part too fancy and not practical enough. It'd also give a reason for waves of people to make countless posts asking for gravity guns.

zyxstand
September 11, 2005, 5:44 am
...i like the idea of moving colliders, though ii'd have to say that i think that it'd be really hard to implement.... ask MM

September 11, 2005, 7:10 am
Gawd, think of the possibilities...

Switch off the lights and have ur vision limited, or flash lights. Kick down doors or blow them open. Ride elevators, bring sliding doors crashing down on top of ppl's heads. The table idea is the best, duck and cover. Pillboxes.

Deleted User
September 11, 2005, 7:24 am
it would be nice, but as keron is right, moving coliders=impossibli

Keron Cyst
September 11, 2005, 3:40 pm
Actually, 117 might be on to something; I would like lighting effects that make everything absolutely pitch-black and the only things you can see are your own soldaten and whatever his helmet flashlight illuminates. That's true line-of-sight for ya (I never really liked being able to see all the polygons in front of you in Realistic Mode; they should fade out or something).

Deleted User
September 12, 2005, 6:44 am
actualy thtas not too bad. having polygons that are blocked by other polygons invisable in realistic. that wopuld be a good move for the next version

Koon
September 13, 2005, 12:01 am
Vending Machines!

peemonkey
September 13, 2005, 12:24 am
search function would yield results. it's been suggested before.

F3nyx
September 13, 2005, 11:17 pm
I don't see why this is impossible. It's already possible to have grenade crates and health crates bouncing around from bullet impacts. Whether it's a good idea is quite another question... the kind of implementation the original post is talking about doesn't really lend itself to a 2D shooter, as it would be very hard, with the coarse controls and all, to knock over anything at precisely the right angle to make it useful for cover.

quote:Actually, 117 might be on to something; I would like lighting effects that make everything absolutely pitch-black and the only things you can see are your own soldaten and whatever his helmet flashlight illuminates. That's true line-of-sight for ya (I never really liked being able to see all the polygons in front of you in Realistic Mode; they should fade out or something).I actually made a thread about that, quite a long time ago: http://soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18562

Nothing really came of it, but some people were positive about the idea and BManx2000 made a pretty cool concept pic. I still think it's a good idea. Perhaps that thread is due for a redux sometime soon...