( search forums )
Ambient Sound
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
papasurf31
September 11, 2005, 4:03 pm
This idea has probably been suggested before, but i feel that it is important enough to warrant a revival.

Ambient sounds.

Playing a map while there's water rushing from waterfall, birds cawing and tall grass rustling quietly in the wind.

Walking next to a power generator and hearing the whirring of the turbines.

Running up the beaches of normandy and hearing shells exploding, soldiers yelling, and gunfire hitting against the landing craft.

Running through a forest and listening to the howls of wolves and crack of twigs beneath your feat.

All this could be done. Dymanic sounds are already used in soldat, which get quieter as you leave the source of the sound and louder as you appraoh it. Just create a looping or intermittent repeating sound generator on any point on the map.

To add that idea, imagine different foot step sounds or sounds of bullets colliding with different materials.

Walking on a marble hallway as opposed to crunching leaves beneath your feet opposed to the gentle crushing of snow.

Bullets entering flesh, bullets hitting a chain link fence, bullets hitting the ground, ricocheting off a metal pipe.

I just think that if these were to be added, they could drastically increase the immersiveness of soldat. Especially, with any possibilities of a single player campaign. something like this would almost be a pre-requesite.

What do you think?

reckon
September 12, 2005, 1:35 am
It would take a lot of time to link the sounds to their proper textures.
Ex: For the chain link fence and whatnot, how would the game differentiate that collider/texture from another?
Theyd have to be given their own polys to make this work.

n00bface
September 12, 2005, 1:38 am
ahh this is the only suggestion that i really truly want added above anything else.

Deleted User
September 12, 2005, 1:49 am
Yeppers.

Kyklis
September 12, 2005, 2:02 am
There would be a option below colour and poly type that said: Hit/Ricochet Sound, which would contain things such as: dirt, metal, wood, ect. They wouldn't need their own polys, just a new options for them.

_Mancer_
September 12, 2005, 2:03 am
This would be amazingly realistic and awesomeee...

dustclouds, wind brushs

Kyklis
September 12, 2005, 2:08 am
Combined with ambient lighting, Soldat would be much, much more fun to play.

Leo Da Lunerfox
September 12, 2005, 3:15 am
It would become beatiful and hot!

Being a mapper, I've always wanted more features to add to maps.

3 Things I want more then anything.

Scenary Animation
Ambient Sound
Moveable Polygon

With these 3 things, the possibility of making an extremely beatiful map would be limitless.

vash763
September 12, 2005, 4:06 am
No ambient light?

I love this idea, along with everything else thats being suggested soldat will (hopefully) be awesome

Deleted User
September 12, 2005, 6:41 am
hah, the amount of coding itll take for this to happen would be atronomical.....or at least genormous. althouhg i would still love it.
ambiant lighting, ambiant sound, animateed scenery, custom gosteks online are all things id like to see, though i dont se any happening any time soon

F3nyx
September 14, 2005, 5:23 pm
This is a GREAT idea.

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 9:30 pm
This should be added.

UltraMagnus
September 15, 2005, 9:27 pm
i like it, although i think there should be a option for players to turn them off so soldat can still run on low spec machines

a-4-year-old
September 15, 2005, 10:33 pm
ok... this sounds like a good idea...
*daydream*
in soldat running around hearing the grass and the jungle that your running in...
but wait there is a sprayer... no more sounds than an m79 blows the (Please refrain from swearing) out of the sprayer and a mininoob/sprayer starts spraying,
half the time you won't hear the sounds, not worth it to have in the game

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 8:41 pm
In that case, A-4-Year-Old, you could just have separate volume sliders for general sound and ambient sound. Also, I imagine this kind of thing would see more use for planes dropping bombs in the distance and stuff than crickets chirping in the bushes (although that'd be pretty sweet in ctf_Equinox).

Alamo
September 17, 2005, 8:45 pm
I want I want I want

AdamD
September 17, 2005, 9:37 pm
This would go perfect with moving scenery/moving polygons.

blackdevil0742
September 17, 2005, 10:09 pm
*drewls*
me wants.. the maps would be so beautiful.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:47 am
yeahs cool idea thats can be good improvent

Silent Soldier
September 18, 2005, 8:13 am
Hell yes, all of the other games I know have even a tiny windy ambience sound!

EDIT: Oh, and they would go into Sfx > Modules.

Flying_Dutchman
September 18, 2005, 8:44 am
This is the best suggestion so far. It would really make the game much better.

Da cHeeSeMaN
September 18, 2005, 12:36 pm
that would be really cool!