( search forums )
Maybe here someone'll read it....
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Bunford5
September 11, 2005, 11:22 pm
I have a problem and i assume therefore that others are having the same problem so i thought why not post it here where it'll actually be seen. Anyway, the problem is that with a couple of my custom maps people seem to be kicked after about 2 seconds whether they like it or not. Other maps i have made work perfectly but on two of my custom maps this problem occurs. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a known solution? Thanx in advance.

btw, Once again, the reason this is in general discussion is because i feel it's an issue that needs to be resolved quickly and here it'll be seen by more people. I'm sure it's not just me who's affected.

peemonkey
September 11, 2005, 11:27 pm
well even if you feel it belongs here, it doesnt. this is a mapmaker bug, so belongs in the proper, related section. have no clue what's causing it though, but osmetimes maps get buggy....yea

Bunford5
September 11, 2005, 11:35 pm
Thank you for that valuable information Peemonkey. Especially the bit about 'sometimes maps get buggy'. That's a big help. Maybe without any solution to offer you would have been better off just not bothering to post. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

lieroguy
September 11, 2005, 11:49 pm
It's not good form to slam the regulars in this forum. They have friends in high places. If they don't know, not many people else do. Believe me, people here tend to get grumpy about posts about bugs and problems in the General Discussion forum. Be assured your post will be moved to the appropriate section.

The silver lining to this cloud is that it will be moved to the forum where the mapmaker gurus lurk, and if the problem can be resolved, you will most likely get the answer you are looking for.

Good luck finding the anwers, though. I know how frustrating a map bug can be.

Michal
September 12, 2005, 12:00 am
I'm not sure it's an error caused by the map, the same thing happened a while ago to me.
I think it's possible to solve that error by alternating between custom and default maps in the map list for the server.

reckon
September 12, 2005, 12:06 am
Is it a server side fault?
Or something with our maps?

Bunford5
September 12, 2005, 12:18 am
Michal's solution worked. One person was able to join. I think about 3 more people still had the same problem though so there's still something going a bit wrong somewhere. Apologies for my harsh tone earlier. As someone said, this is a frustrating problem even if you know about techie stuff which i don't.

TheRelinquished
September 12, 2005, 1:31 am
It's okay Bunford. You were only "a lil' snappy". I laughed. I think that some of the regulars need to get off their clouds anyway. Lieroguy exaggerates a little. It's not like peemonkey is going to call up some moderator and have him ban you from the forums just because of a trite comment.

All of that aside, I assure you that he just didn't take into account that you weren't used to the forum and its plethora of sections. And I'm sure that your comment was purely one out of frustration. It happens. Share the love.

Now if this isn't moved within a short while from now so that the map gurus can see it, then I suggest you just check out the mapping section and start a new thread with similar subject matter. It might be considered a duplicate thread, but who cares.

Best of luck.

~TheRelinquished

Bunford5
September 12, 2005, 6:50 am
I just tried running a dedicated server with a mix of custom and stock maps. The map i'm having trouble with was in use and i tried to join the server to play. I got kicked after about 3 seconds and when i tried to rejoin it said 'wrong map version detected'. Then i tried to rejoin again and it said 'could not download file' even though i already have the map (i made it). This is probably what everyone else is seeing when they try to join the server. I hope this information helps somebody in the know to find a solution.

Edit : By the way, it also deleted the map from my computer and i don't have a backup copy. Oh well.

The @venger
September 12, 2005, 7:08 am
well, that happens with custom maps too...
bunford, you were so acidly sarcastic earlier, that i actually didnt pick it up (yeah, i thought you was licking butt).
so funny so funny! XD