( search forums )
spas tips
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
A papercut
September 13, 2005, 10:54 pm
Spas-12 is the only weapon i can't seem to kill anyone with...... Sooo... any tips?

UGK
September 13, 2005, 11:17 pm
just aim at their head and dont shoot up. Always stay above their head and shoot or shoot close range for an accurate shot.
Practive that

Famine
September 13, 2005, 11:23 pm
Grenades are almost mandatory for this weapon.

F3nyx
September 13, 2005, 11:34 pm
As UGK said, having a height advantage is one of the most important things when using the SPAS. I would say that, except at point-blank range, aim for the torso rather than the head in order to maximize the amount of buckshot that hits the enemy. You'll also often have to aim well above your target, in order to deal with the weapon's unique "arc", i.e. the curve that the projectiles travel along when fired at a given angle (it's NOT a parabola). As if that weren't enough, you'll also need to "lead" your target substantially, since the cloud of buckshot moves rather slowly. Don't bother trying to use this weapon at long range unless you're a) extremely competent and b) fighting a very predictable enemy.

One of the SPAS's most useful and unique characteristics is partial reloading. With all other guns, when the clip or magazine runs out, you've gotta reload the whole thing. With the SPAS, you can pause reloading at any time by tapping the "Throw Grenade" key. So if you run out of shells, and only need one more to finish off that pesky enemy -- load the first shell, tap "E", take careful aim and fire. Reloading only one shell is so fast that once you've practiced it, you'll hardly ever need a backup weapon.

As for particular situations: the SPAS really shines when the enemy is attacking head-on, since it'll slow them down or knock them backwards. However, you absolutely do NOT want to use this weapon when chasing an enemy flag carrier, because it can give them a huge speed boost without doing much damage.

Keron Cyst
September 13, 2005, 11:56 pm
I use the SPAS almost all the time, except when my team's losing and am frantically switching among the different weapons to see if any can give a better advantage :-P

I use it so much the trajectory is almost second nature to me. It has an odd arc, easily slower than a Steyr or even an MP5. I use it to fire at SGners on the other side of the hill on ctf_Kampf, like artillery xD

You don't have to always struggle to be at a height advantage if you can get used to the trajectory where as many pellets from each shell hit as often as possible. You want to try to get very close to the enemy, tho' (but not too close so that moving the cursor a tiny bit will make you miss, unless you plan on whacking 'im with the gun).

The recoil is very strong. You can propel yourself up to the top of ctf_Crashed (I've never played on that map online since 1.3 :-/ Was it removed?) using it, as well as ctf_Voland from the respawn area. You can during a match get small speed boosts by firing backwards when moving towards the enemy (but you want to keep the cursor right in front of you so you can see if an enemy's in the direction you're going).

Basically, get used to the trajectory, tap your throw-grenade key when you have to fire while reloading (to adjust the aim), don't try to fire at far-away enemies too much, and use the recoil as a third jet boot.

(That didn't sound right.) And don't be a shotgun n00b and camp in bushes, firing when enemies come right to you :-P

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 12:32 am
when your near someone, alway crouch and shoot there penis XD

mar77a
September 14, 2005, 12:48 am
Set the reload key in "Player" options, to Left-Mouse-Button.

UGK
September 14, 2005, 1:00 am
quote:Originally posted by mar77aSet the reload key in "Player" options, to Left-Mouse-Button.

One question: WHy?

yeah shootem in the penis and no more children for them!

A papercut
September 14, 2005, 1:15 am
Thx, some of these tips are very helpfull. Am not very sure making reload to the left-mouse-button am already use to "Q". What really challanges me is shooting medium-far while dealing a good amount of damage. The bullets just seem to spread to much :|

Keron Cyst
September 14, 2005, 1:38 am
They do distribute more depending on the fire angle. And I think it's better if a few pellets hit them rather than none, unless it helps them (in this case, F3nyx's FC example).

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 1:45 am
Use the standard military accuracy guide:

Always aim for center of mass.

silly Suasag3
September 14, 2005, 5:02 am
lol even though i dont tend to use spas heres a tip.......

while there walking(running) jump over them and fire like mad it makes them slower and since its from above takes a lil extra damage off

never ever use spas in ctfs cos if an enemy gets flag and ur the one that ever1 is depending on well ur f*cked...

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 5:22 am
the AUG is good for killing

Unlucky 13
September 14, 2005, 6:18 am
I use the SPAS a lot, and I always (ALWAYS) back it up with a SOCOM, and every now-and-then a LAW.
My tip: when approaching someone, always make sure you can get at least one pellet to hit before firing. The SPAS can be hard to use, so use the SOCOM to weaken them and then when you get closer, change weapon and attack.
I always seem to crouch when I get closer, so you could try it too.

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 8:06 am
totaly off topic but i wonder if you can geta shotty with a scope that would be gold!!
on topic, spas is pretty simple keep reloading, get us to the bullet arc and youll do fine

GAMEOVER
September 14, 2005, 11:32 am
quote:Originally posted by Taaltotaly off topic but i wonder if you can geta shotty with a scope that would be gold!!

How so? The spas dont have any range game in it what good would a scope do.

Keron Cyst
September 14, 2005, 5:44 pm
True, true; the pellets' trajectory wouldn't even follow where the scope is looking anyways. And yeah, I'm with Unlucky 13: try not to fire unless you're sure you'll hit the enemy (doesn't apply to all weapon :-D).

Deleted User
September 14, 2005, 8:41 pm
Shotgun with a scope? Pointless... If any gun needs a scope it'd be the AUG, because it actually does have a scope.
Anyway, SPAZ TIPS:
Line up your shots correctly, don't just blast another shell right when you're able to. Take your time on lining up your shots at the beginning, then you'll get more used to it and be comfortable going "full auto" with the shotty.

Masta
September 17, 2005, 7:03 pm
Why would u shoot thm in the penis... retarded -.-

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 7:40 pm
God gave man both a penis and a brain, unfortunately he didn't give enough blood supply to run to both at the same time.

Hoodlum
September 17, 2005, 10:03 pm
You should use spas when you are playing on a map and there is a small space like Voland (mid) or Laos (low) as the person can't run anywhere so you just have to burst out with shots.. or maybe even spray ;o

STEELIX
September 18, 2005, 9:51 am
pfff, I never use any other gun than spas. It sure as hell is a good use in CTF.

i am ahab
September 19, 2005, 3:18 pm
i'm trying to brush up with the spas. it has a few different enviable characteristics over the other guns, but they also make it totally different and thus harder to figure.

from what ive gathered:

don't
- get into a slugging match with an auto, or especially a ruger. you WILL lose.
- chase people and fire, as keron says try not to fire unless you're fairly sure of a hit. especially when chasing people, you'll just push them away and inflcit a minimum of damage

do
- change your game.
- for instance, intead of running forward and firing, stalk areas of the map. hang around an alt route area of the map within 1/3 of the maps' length of your base and try to run towards or intercept any enemy flag carriers trying to escape your base. this way they carry all of their momentum into any of your shots that connect. which slows them down and does more damage. use this with the height tip to your advantadge.
- or if assaulting, as cyst says, nades are possibly best used with a spas. as it has a large area of fire. it can cause an enemy to dodge if used correctly. using this with nades can get all his attention thus making him an easy kill for a teammate.

bascically the spas is a different gun. it can easily be used effectivly as a team players gun. there was a neat lil guide that a dude callled the relinquished did that covered most of the guns i think. and theres plenty of tips and guide knocking around if you search a little....

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 5:58 pm
Some other things i like doing with the spas:

- I usually always use spas in close up maps like in ctf_nuubia. Chainsaw is usually my secondary with my spas to slow them down to make for some easy saw kills.
- Never hurts to ditch your secondary for the weapon of some guy you just killed. Definetly will increase your efficiency both in upclose combat and distance combat.
- When chasing down efc's, another tactic that works like if for example the efc is running high and you get a tip from your teamate hes running high, etc...Take the low route. Use the spas like as a minigun to speed up, fly up there and beat him to his flag, and spas him to death. You'll either a) kill him or b) slow him down long enough for assistance to arrive (or for the efc's assistance). Plus, if hes a barretard, the bink will most assurely (Please refrain from swearing) him up.
- One last thing I got is that it has a nice arc. Use it to keep your enemies standing by, its suicide to run into a spas barrage, you'll be slowed down and beaten to a pulp - socom works perfectly to rush in and finish the guy off.

Keron Cyst
September 19, 2005, 6:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by i am ahab... as keron says try not to fire unless you're fairly sure of a hit....
Wow, I'm recognized :-D

Basically the SPAS is powerful in small areas where the Chainsaw would be (like ctf_Equinox tunnels), and if you can get used long-range arcs it's very useful especially if you raid with allies. And yeah, if you find an auto- or rifleman on the other side of the monitor and he's not running to you try to back off (or charge prone-jet xD) unless he's a n00b; if he's not he'll wisely keep his distance and pwn you.

F3nyx
September 19, 2005, 8:02 pm
Extacide's comment about picking up other secondaries reminded me of another SPAS technique... the Barret is the absolute best secondary for the SPAS. It complements the SPAS perfectly, allowing you to dish out the pain at any range. The Minimi also works pretty well as a long-range secondary weapon. Using chainsaw with SPAS has a certain appeal, but it's a little redundant since they both excel at very short range.

Deleted User
September 20, 2005, 12:58 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyxExtacide's comment about picking up other secondaries reminded me of another SPAS technique... the Barret is the absolute best secondary for the SPAS. It complements the SPAS perfectly, allowing you to dish out the pain at any range. The Minimi also works pretty well as a long-range secondary weapon. Using chainsaw with SPAS has a certain appeal, but it's a little redundant since they both excel at very short range.

Thats why I said I use that combo in close up maps for some close combat pwnzage.

F3nyx
September 20, 2005, 1:47 am
quote:Originally posted by Extacide
Thats why I said I use that combo in close up maps for some close combat pwnzage.
Oops, didn't see that. Still, I always prefer to load another shell, rather than gamble on being able to switch to chainsaw and get within effective range before being killed. Though come to think of it, most of the good SPAS users I've seen carry a chainsaw... maybe it's just me.