( search forums )
Server names? What 'bout descriptions?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Keron Cyst
September 15, 2005, 6:24 am
Since the names have to be short enough so that they don't take up too much space what about having descriptions for servers so server admins can put more details about their server which pop up in a box when you hover the cursor over a server's name? I'm sure many would definitely find that handy.

Kyklis
September 19, 2005, 10:16 pm
It would be neat. Heck, it would be awesome. This should be implemented, although it wouldn't be that big of a change.

a-4-year-old
September 20, 2005, 12:26 am
well that would help with the "133tsrvernohaxors!!!" servers that end up as a realistic non-deticated with lots of "haxors" and barretards with uber-ping and totally uneven teams. not that im pissed at those servers *hates servers*

Michal
September 20, 2005, 1:12 am
It's a good idea, I would like to see it.
It would be good for putting in useful URLs, like where to get the servers map-pack or something like that.

i am ahab
September 20, 2005, 11:56 am
like on the lobby server page....

yes agreed. although... if its a long string (sentence in non programming speak) then this could increase the time it takes to request servers by a fair old bit. think about it. 500 character per string x 300 servers = a lot more info than is currently being sent to your in game lobby screen.
and the idea of the in game lobby is to get a game quick right? not sit around reading....

which is probably why it has not yet been implemented....

possibly it may be better if you could select a server, and then click another button to request that servers' description? this way you only have 500 characters x 1 = a lot less information to transmit and recive + a more streamlined lobby screen?

thoughts?

Keron Cyst
September 20, 2005, 6:25 pm
To counter i am ahab's lag thoughts: maybe when you Request Servers it just picks up what it normally does, and when you hover it then retrieves the description while conveniently refreshing ping (and maybe it can auto-load descriptions for favorite servers). In fact, keeping a particular server refreshing ping & etc. that the cursor hovers over should be implemented on its own as well.

a-4-year-old
September 20, 2005, 9:02 pm
well if you narrow down to servers that are not full and not empty, ctf, and deticated and not passworded, you should get like 10-20 servers, if you play deathmatch <10 pointmatch 0 (for me) rambo <10 teammatch <10 htf <10 inf <5 wow huge issue...

Kyklis
September 21, 2005, 12:03 am
Hm. A suggestion that Michal made me think of. Maybe it would show the complete Map List. That way you could figure out what maps you needed if for some reason it wouldn't let you download it from the server.

blackdevil0742
September 21, 2005, 2:52 pm
I like it, Something that could be useful.