( search forums )
time control
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
zyxstand
September 16, 2005, 12:30 am
...i believe this is the proper forum for this:
...and this also has been brought up a while ago but i want to revive it:

a server-side, admin option to change time (slow down time)...
by increasing it by like 10%, you can make gameplay faster and more challenging. or, you could decrease it by 10% to make it slo-mo coo'

also very useful for movie-making and recording.

slo-mo bullets flying (esp. the barret). rly cool to see heads fly of in slow motino when getting hit with barret.

Captain Ben
September 16, 2005, 4:11 am
Yeah, it could open up new possibilities, but most will abuse it other thasn putting it to good use.
But but but, an icon or something should be displayed, to show how much faster or slower the time is.

The Geologist
September 16, 2005, 7:08 am
I'd be pretty pissed if things just started slowing down midgame because the admin thinks it looks cool.

blackdevil0742
September 16, 2005, 8:09 am
I don't like it.. I wouldn't like to play on a server that's too fast or too slow it would only get me mad.

Deleted User
September 16, 2005, 9:11 am
i totaly agree.. i have always wanted slowmotion in this game:p

Rambo_6
September 16, 2005, 1:35 pm
Maybe just toggle the amount of bullet time you get.

numgun
September 16, 2005, 6:18 pm
slow mo bullet dodging! fuc.k yeah!

LazehBoi
September 16, 2005, 6:54 pm
I think slow motion and stuff makes a bit of problem with lag. Is it just me or some times during bullet time, everyone warps like hell? It's strange.

papasurf31
September 16, 2005, 7:29 pm
Nope, I think it's just you. I thought that bullet time could be done better as a powerup where everyone ELSE slowed down as well as their bullets, and you remained in normal speed. I though that thsi would be a very fun powerup to use, and yet would still be blanced with the other powerups. Also, being the one with this powerup automatically makes you a primary target by everyone and also immediately noticable.

Keron Cyst
September 17, 2005, 2:38 am
papasurf31's idea is better IMO...

zyxstand
September 17, 2005, 4:58 am
papasurf's idea aint gonna happen fo sho! it'd be very hard to program it so that one person remains normal speed and the rest gets slowed down.... besides, that would be considered futuristic and soldat just doens't [want] to support that!

my idea's just cool slow-motion effect...

The Geologist
September 17, 2005, 5:06 am
I think his idea has as much of a chance as being implimented as your own :/

GAMEOVER
September 17, 2005, 5:36 am
personally i think the games too slow but thats me :/

frogboy
September 17, 2005, 5:53 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandpapasurf's idea aint gonna happen fo sho! it'd be very hard to program it so that one person remains normal speed and the rest gets slowed down.... besides, that would be considered futuristic and soldat just doens't [want] to support that!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall there being a cheat which disables bullet time on any server. Surely if those morons (the cheat creators) can make it do that, then Michal can implement this.

And what's wrong with it being "futuristic"? We already have the existing bullet time, a vest which protects you against weapons designed to go through tanks, a powerup which increases your strength 4x and makes you spurt blood, a powerup that gives you a flamethrower which disappears if you throw it away and makes you invincible for a short time, and a powerup which makes you almost invisible. Not to mention jetboots, a bow which gives you self healing powers, etc.

zyxstand
September 17, 2005, 6:32 pm
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong

ok, i will do just that*

it is easy to change speed of time, but it is extremely difficult to implement coding that let's the server run two different speeds simultaneously in the same game!

also, all those powerups aren't futuristic, however ps's 'slow down time' sounds (at least to me) a bit futuristic...but that's just me...

Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 9:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstand[quote]
also, all those powerups aren't futuristic, however ps's 'slow down time' sounds (at least to me) a bit futuristic...but that's just me...

Sure, as long as you ignore the fact that the pred powerup is inspired by the advanced cloaking technology of a sci-fi alien.

numgun
September 18, 2005, 1:10 am
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERpersonally i think the games too slow but thats me :/

O_O'' omfg! too slow?! i'd suggest u to go into a hot ctf_ server with lots of ppl (especially ctf_kampf)

anyway back to the topic: i would use the slo mo just for offline use coz the speed is ok now. i just would want to have fun dodging bullets like neo in matrix and shooting with deagles at enemies while dodging.(tho i suck with deagles : P)

zyxstand
September 18, 2005, 5:15 am
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaquote:Originally posted by zyxstand[quote]

Sure, as long as you ignore the fact that the pred powerup is inspired by the advanced cloaking technology of a sci-fi alien.

hmm...i guess u got a point there...
still, it'd seem kinda weird if everything else slows down but you...and also, that idea kinda deviates from my initial intent*

Kyklis
September 19, 2005, 10:01 pm
It dosen't deviate from your initial intent, it improves it.

tmtigd
September 19, 2005, 11:32 pm
I could be interesting, as long as the settings can't be changed in game. But like, half the servers will probably be at like, 50%.

zyxstand
September 20, 2005, 9:17 pm
hmm...why not so that in a non-(lobby)-registered u can (so only if you play by yourself or against bot) --- and also, you'd have to be registered! :D

Kyklis
September 20, 2005, 11:46 pm
No. Soldat is pretty much a free game, and making it so some elements of gameplay aren't available unless you play sorta makes it worse in a way. The stuff you get from registrating shouldn't have a effect on gameplay.

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 4:21 am
If you could slow down time on an online server it would reduce lag, would't it?

numgun
September 28, 2005, 12:31 pm
mheheh... ''slo-mo lag'' xD