( search forums )
The Mid-Air Jump!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
September 17, 2005, 2:42 am
Remember games such as Super Smash Bros. Melee or Unreal Torunament 2004? Those two games are examples of using the ability to do a mid-air jump, or double jump.

I thought It would be nice to have an extra dodging techinque. By pressing the jump button once more while airborn will cause you to do one more small flip in the air, thus giving you an extra upward boost. However, The double jump can only be done once per jump, so if you want to do another one, you must touch the ground first and jump again. Oh and, Just like the backflip, you cannot shoot in the middle of the flip animation (OR you can remain shooting to avoid possible fustraton, you decide...)

If this was somehow added into Soldat, It may help aganist dodging Snipers, Campers, M79 Shots and maybe Law rockets. Furthermore, it can help chainsaw users In getting flying enemies trying to boost themselves away from you.

zoldat
September 18, 2005, 3:52 pm
i have thougt on this too, it could be fun ;D
hmm u could make it an option like sniper-line

TheFunktopus
September 18, 2005, 4:11 pm
Well, we have jet already, which can be used for the same purpose.

numgun
September 18, 2005, 4:15 pm
what about lagrange?(no jet fuel there)

TheFunktopus
September 18, 2005, 4:29 pm
Well, it would probably be useful in no jet maps - but only for getting into high places, and lagrange has none. I know it's supposed to be an evading move, but, well, if you think about it, proning in mid-air would probably be as effective.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:31 pm
As for proning mid-air, That hardly ever helps me, I still get shot >_<

And using the jet to dodge is a tad bit too slow...

EDIT:....And you cant jump off of nothing in Unreal Torunament, SSBM, Almost any platforming games -_-. I hate too much realism, it makes me feel restricted

F3nyx
September 18, 2005, 6:18 pm
I dunno... I don't really like this idea. Different kinds of jet mobility would be good, but you can't just jump off of nothing... Soldat movement is pretty consistently realistic.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 8:08 pm
A mid-air dodging move akin to the one in Super Smash Bros: Melee would be nice though. You could probably even replace the backflip with it, which in the end would give you that much more control over your soldat.

blackdevil0742
September 18, 2005, 10:28 pm
:O
This would be so fun on no jet maps.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 12:52 am
maybe, we do have jet. if this was added the jet would have to be put down on alo of levels

zoldat
September 21, 2005, 1:57 pm
still it could be cool, and maby some new tricks would come up too

zyxstand
September 21, 2005, 9:08 pm
...but i love the predictability of ppl!

CottonTheMoth
September 21, 2005, 11:52 pm
This may cause difficulty for run jumping.....jumping right before u hit the ground would get all annoyingish..unless you jump the exact same height for the second jump. This'll prolly never be implemented, becuase so many maps have been made to the slightest detail for height, and this would make already made climb/training maps too easy. Nice idea, but this isnt SSBM. (Although it pwns. SHEIK PWNS ALL!)

numgun
September 22, 2005, 7:26 pm
2x jump would be still good even in maps with jets coz u get extra high... this could be really useful in training maps and stuff.

DeMonIc
September 22, 2005, 7:28 pm
Actually, if you do a leap-jump backwards, and press up+back+jet while in mid-air right after your jump, you'll do a mid-air jump. In other words, Soldat already has a double jump, and it's hard but real nifty.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 3:09 pm
Oh, yes, this would be quite nice, I think you should make it so you can do backflips and frontflips by pressing the crouch button in air.

Keron Cyst
November 3, 2005, 3:30 pm
I think TradeMAAK's idea is the best, although backflip is already covered.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 6:37 pm
Isn't this called using your jets?

Social Poison
November 3, 2005, 7:21 pm
This idea's been brought up before, primarily as a way to throw off a barreter's aim. The additional idea was that the midair jump would take some further chunk out of your jet fuel supplies

.Loki
November 3, 2005, 7:54 pm
Maybe instead of a second jump, you could Double-click the jet button and it would boost you up a bit.

I think it would be cool if you could do that however many times you wanted, but it would obviously have to consume more fuel than normally jetting would. So using the jumper would only be practical to dodge, and using the jet would be practical for getting to high places.

Chonoryoku
November 3, 2005, 8:56 pm
This would be great in combination with a "Dash" button. <:

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 1:14 am
Yeah, then you got Gunz.

Lets stick with the double jump.

At first I didnt like it, but I think that a chunk of your jet fuel being burned up for mid air jumping would do fine. Good idea.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 3:50 am
I can see the chainsaw's main weakness (air-borne combat) being greatly diminished by a double jump. I still think a mid-air dodge move would work best for on-the-fly evasion, probably activated by the crouch button, or by having it replace mid-air proning (which doesn't make that much sense anyway).

EDIT: By "greatly diminished" I mean "made possibly too good."

.Loki
November 4, 2005, 5:46 am
chainsaw made too good with jump jets - doubtful.
chainsaw made good with jump jets - yes.

this is a bad thing? - no.

Kaider
November 4, 2005, 5:51 am
I agree with Extacide, that if it takes away some of your jet fuel, then it could work. And maybe if you have a slight amount of fuel left means a smaller,less hight backflip? Just a thought.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 6:51 am
Chainsaws what? They need some special moves as it is. They are the most unused secondary by my knowledge and are definetly the hardest to use. Any break for them wouldnt hurt anyone, except for the unfortanate people being sawed. >:P

I just got the idea of just having general burn outs, where you can blow half a fuel tank to use a burst of fuel to shoot out in 1 direction in 1 quick instance. Bleh, double jumping though, ill stick with that.

Kaider
November 4, 2005, 6:58 am
I'm actually surprised Michal hasn't improved the chainsaw so that you can throw it or something,he appreciates the chainsaw alot,and even uses it himself.

It would be cool if you could juggle chainsaws........Ha,I'm a juggler,and on my way to juggling chainsaws myself.....

Echo_Trail
November 4, 2005, 8:48 am
i'll say.. it's kindo primitive.. then again, u wouldn't be able to throw a chainsaw in real life.. and the throw-weapon-and-do-damage-feature is allready being used on knife.. i think it would be a mess to do the same to chainsaw..

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 9:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by .LokiMaybe instead of a second jump, you could Double-click the jet button and it would boost you up a bit.

I think it would be cool if you could do that however many times you wanted, but it would obviously have to consume more fuel than normally jetting would. So using the jumper would only be practical to dodge, and using the jet would be practical for getting to high places.

*gasp* I thought this thread died...

Anywhoo...I really like how this sounds.

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 9:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI think TradeMAAK's idea is the best, although backflip is already covered.

Backflip? Can you do it in the air? Springy polys don't count. I mean - jump up, press crouch and backflip arrow (crouch backwards) and do a nice backflip in the air. Or jump up and press frontflip arrow (crouch forward) and do a frontflip. It would look kind of cool to jump in the distance, press crouch button and make your soldat land in a nice frontflip which would look like he is trying to land softly. You know what I mean.