( search forums )
How can you not grasp that?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Keron Cyst
September 17, 2005, 3:04 am
After seeing Rambo_6's post in his SUPERMAWD topic upon response to `moo, along with some others in other various threads, I just don't get how you don't see the relationship between speed, damage, and health.

Both speed and damage deduct from health (yes, even if Damage=0 the speed still hurts) when positive #s. Even if a # is negative the other is a high enough positive it will balance it out (and I think explosions have some second, hard-coded damage count). The statistic in weapons.INI is only for -initial- speed upon launch, if you read Marcinkowski's text at the top; therefore it is impossible to calculate how much health a weapon takes away from a soldier because the health-affecting speed is always changing by gravity (very little from fast weapons like the Barret but still)*; that's why some long-distance knife throws don't kill. If both #s are negative or if one is negative and the other isn't positive enough to balance it out (third factor: in the match also if gravity doesn't contribute to its speed enough), then the weapon will heal. I'd almost be willing to bet anything you want that it can never be exactly balanced to the point where it will do nothing to health; it will always either heal or hurt. So, Rambo', if you want your Diarrhea (xD) to hurt just up Damage so much that it covers over the negative speed.
Exempli gratia if you want a non-lethal but still fast LAW keep the speed but put damage in the negative hundreds (forgot exactly how many hundreds). ¡It's that simple!

[/rant about nothing important but which may help future mods :-P]

* - Sure, you can get a rough estimation but that can greatly change from firing at an enemy below you (where the gravity will add to its strength) as to an enemy above you (where gravity will make it injure less).

Famine
September 17, 2005, 3:11 am
"negative" velocity just specifies the direction the bullet will go in. It makes no sense that a negative velocity would do no damage. Of course, your way can make things right.

paramud
September 17, 2005, 6:14 am
There is no Negative velocity, It's impossible. YAAAY RESPONDING BEFORE READING POST!

Vijchtidoodah
September 17, 2005, 6:19 am
This forum needs an ignore button.

frogboy
September 17, 2005, 6:22 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahThis forum needs an ignore button.
Indeed. If only Firefox's phpBB User Hide extension could be used on Snitz Forums...

Famine
September 17, 2005, 3:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by paramudThere is no Negative velocity, It's impossible. YAAAY RESPONDING BEFORE READING POST!

You are a (Please refrain from swearing)ing idiot. It is not impossible. All the negative sign does is indicate direction.

paramud
September 18, 2005, 3:50 am
Yes, but a negitive velocity is impossible in real life, I never said "There is no Negative velocity in soldat".
A velocity can be in any direction, thus there can not be a negative velocity in real life.
You fail.

Famine
September 18, 2005, 4:35 am
You do. I am relating it to real life.

When given a NEGATIVE velocity, it is assumed to be a direction. Of course it will state which was is negative and which way is positive. It is just another "variable" to use for direction, you (Please refrain from swearing)tard. Yes, a VELOCITY can be in an direction, infact it NEEDS direction. That is what seperates it from speed! It is a vector, speed is NOT! - Velocity is possible, just not in the terms you think of it...(Please refrain from swearing).

- ___d2____|___d1___+

Here is the frame of reference
D1=starting point
D2=Ending
D1 = 15 m
D2 = -35 m

V=(delta)D/(delta)t lets make (delta)t = 10s

SO V= -35 - 15/10 this comes out to equal -2 m/s. This is NEGATIVE velocity. All the sign does is SPECIFY direction. I could have easily have put

west ____d1____|_____d2____ east

but, I did not!

Twinkler
September 18, 2005, 5:12 am
Yay for physics.

wormdundee
September 18, 2005, 5:17 am
Famine, you messed up your picture. Seeing as how the + sign is on the right of your picture, why would d2 be negative? Therefore the velocity would be 2 m/s. Unless you just had a typo somewhere.

frogboy
September 18, 2005, 5:26 am
quote:Originally posted by paramudYes, but a negitive velocity is impossible in real life, I never said "There is no Negative velocity in soldat".
A velocity can be in any direction, thus there can not be a negative velocity in real life.
You fail.
NO U

paramud
September 18, 2005, 6:18 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by paramudYes, but a negitive velocity is impossible in real life, I never said "There is no Negative velocity in soldat".
You fail.
NO U

No, you.
Velocity is the rate that an object moves, not which direction.
[IMAGE]
The velocity isn't negative, its just going to the left. Since there is no absolute up or down, left or right, You only assume that it is negative, when really, its just going to the left.
The speed isn't about negative two, since it is moving. Thus it has a POSITIVE speed.
I DARE YOU TO GO SLOWER THAN ZERO MPH NOTHINGNESS!

frogboy
September 18, 2005, 7:21 am
quote:Originally posted by paramud
That's speed, dumbass.
quote:Originally posted here
Question: Is there a negative velocity? if so how is it achieved?
------------------------------------------------
Answer 1: Velocity has two components, speed and direction. Speed can be
measured in whatever units you like, say miles per hour. Direction is defined
by the person doing the measurement. So, if I define one direction to
be positive I will have a positive velocity when travelling in that
direction. I will have a negative velocity when travelling in the
opposite direction.

paramud
September 18, 2005, 8:29 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by paramud
That's speed, dumbass.
quote:Originally posted here
Question: Is there a negative velocity? if so how is it achieved?
------------------------------------------------
Answer 1: Velocity has two components, speed and direction. Speed can be
measured in whatever units you like, say miles per hour. Direction is defined
by the person doing the measurement. So, if I define one direction to
be positive I will have a positive velocity when travelling in that
direction. I will have a negative velocity when travelling in the
opposite direction.

DONT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!
Yes, I realize my mistake, but don't just (Please refrain from swearing)ing change the subject and avoid admitting that you know you made a (Please refrain from swearing)ing mistake!

m00`
September 18, 2005, 8:51 am
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/store/yousaidass.zip

frogboy
September 18, 2005, 9:02 am
quote:Originally posted by paramud
DONT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!
Yes, I realize my mistake, but don't just (Please refrain from swearing)ing change the subject and avoid admitting that you know you made a (Please refrain from swearing)ing mistake!
I haven't changed the subject. The subject was negative velocity, and I quoted someone explaining the simple concept of negative velocity. Surely you don't mean the "mistake" of me saying U instead of YOU.

The Geologist
September 18, 2005, 9:07 am
'tis true. He didn't change the subject, and much like your voyage into self proclaimed racism, you have once again failed.

September 18, 2005, 12:43 pm
negative velocity... gravity maybes?

I dunno, negative velocity could make something collaps on itself

Famine
September 18, 2005, 3:31 pm
Thanks wormdundee, I changed the two values in the middle of writing to make the equation much more simple. It should be fixed now.

Paramud, There are definites within the frame of reference.

To explain it a bit better:

the 2m/s is the speed. The - is the direction, which was defined in my frame of reference.

Keron Cyst
September 19, 2005, 4:48 am

Oh, and strength and health combine into each other; that's how a Ruger bullet can pass through a severely injured soldat; the initial strength of the bullet when hitting the soldat subtracts but the bullet maintains its velocity and so the remainder of the bullet's strength passes through. That's why some bullets (including powerful SG bullets) can go through very thin polygons (colliders, being fat circles, are too thick to penetrate). Just a thought...