( search forums )
Slipping to the Darkside...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 2:38 am
Lately I've been annoyed with the increase with one hit kill weapons, mainly the Barret. Well I have been thinking... Should I increase the population of one hit kill weapon users and use the weapon I hated the most? I just can't enjoy Soldat as much as I used to because I'm sick of trying to takedown a team of 5 reds with barrets. Not even my Minigun's effect to bink helps much.

But what if I begin to use it...what if the effects of the weapon suck me in like crack? I know If I use this darned thing the urge to hide in bushes and camp with latch on to my brain. I just feel it...the pain in my stomach...everytime I have a barret in my little invisible soldat hands. Makes me wanna chuck it off a cliff. But...pfft...I have no choice I just see Darth Vater holding the barret, Beckoning me over Shouting "Angry, Come to the Dark side of lameness"

What do you guys think I should do... Just give up on my strict "No Barret Religion" or just F--k it and use the damned thing because Its only a game and who give's a crap about what you do?

By the way, excuse any damn errors you come across my post, this keyboard is starting to hate me again.

UGK
September 18, 2005, 2:42 am
quote:Originally posted by Mister AngryLately I've been annoyed with the increase with one hit kill weapons, mainly the Barret. Well I have been thinking... Should I increase the population of one hit kill weapon users and use the weapon I hated the most? I just can't enjoy Soldat as much as I used to because I'm sick of trying to takedown a team of 5 reds with barrets. Not even my Minigun's effect to bink helps much.

But what if I begin to use it...what if the effects of the weapon suck me in like crack? I know If I use this darned thing the urge to hide in bushes and camp with latch on to my brain. I just feel it...the pain in my stomach...everytime I have a barret in my little invisible soldat hands. Makes me wanna chuck it off a cliff. But...pfft...I have no choice I just see Darth Vater holding the barret, Beckoning me over Shouting "Angry, Come to the Dark side of lameness"

What do you guys think I should do... Just give up on my strict "No Barret Religion" or just F--k it and use the damned thing because Its only a game and who give's a crap about what you do?

By the way, excuse any damn errors you come across my post, this keyboard is starting to hate me again.

Come to the Wonderful(but dark)side of the barret and m79...(dontforget to equip a socom if you miss...Once in a while you will have the craving to use the autos. No worries,but once you come,You well never go back. MWAHAHAHAHAAH

Scooter_X
September 18, 2005, 3:28 am
NOOOOO!!!

He may be your father, but that doesnt mean you have to walk the same path as him!! LUUUUKE!

mar77a
September 18, 2005, 3:52 am
Well, good players know how to handle barrets, so there's no need to get your hands on the barret, get better on another auto or anything...

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:02 am
quote:Originally posted by mar77aWell, good players know how to handle barrets, so there's no need to get your hands on the barret, get better on another auto or anything...

I knew someone would give a small hint that I suck =
I might stick around with my faithful Minigun and hope the bink shall save my life. otherwise its gonna be to the Darkside... =(

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:45 am
The barret is like smoking. "Oh, just one game with barret won't hurt." "Hey! I'm not a barretwhore! I can quit any day!" "Stop using those newb weapons, switch to barret!" "SERVE BARRET." "THE BARRET IS MY ONLY FRIEND"

Do it, and it will consume your soul. You have a choice, my friend.
Become a mindless servant of the barret, or fight for all that is good in life.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:51 am
use rugar, its like the nicotine patches for barrets :P

Michal
September 18, 2005, 5:01 am
You think the temptation is strong now!? Did you play 1.2?
Now it is child's play ;|

Kazuki
September 18, 2005, 5:09 am
Actually, I've been noticing that a lot of the NA players I know have been using Barrets in public games. I don't know why. Maybe they just enjoy it, though I don't see why. They probably don't use the barrets in clanwars because they have more trust in their primary weapon, but those barreters are getting quite annoying, simply because there are too many of them.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 5:19 am
Indeed, public servers are no fun anymore. Obvious solution is to go to a private server but what fun is it if thats your only resort to get away from them? In 1.2 youd never see more then 1-2 barretards and 1-2 m79ers, and alot of autos and 1 shot guns. Id rather live with 1.2.1 then have tobe barraged with 10 barret and m79 shots.

Well, the upside of this is if you have 3% health, you dont even NEED medikits, youd die even if you had 100% health. =\ Btw, you're better off learning how to fight them. Spas can really bink their aim if you're accurate and its a quick kill - autos you spray where you think they are, then fly in for the kill. Thats all what I do anyways~

vash763
September 18, 2005, 5:27 am
It's real simple; whip out a saw. No need for aim, no one tells you you suck, and it's ALOT more rewarding.

UGK
September 18, 2005, 5:30 am
quote:Originally posted by Mister Angryquote:Originally posted by mar77aWell, good players know how to handle barrets, so there's no need to get your hands on the barret, get better on another auto or anything...

I knew someone would give a small hint that I suck =
I might stick around with my faithful Minigun and hope the bink shall save my life. otherwise its gonna be to the Darkside... =(

*whispers* come,come, you will have a great time

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 5:30 am
quote:Originally posted by vash763It's real simple; whip out a saw. No need for aim, no one tells you you suck, and it's ALOT more rewarding.

Yeah, dying every 3 seconds and not getting kills sure will be rewarding.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 5:37 am
quote:Originally posted by fuvekiquote:Originally posted by vash763It's real simple; whip out a saw. No need for aim, no one tells you you suck, and it's ALOT more rewarding.

If you've ever seen a *good* saw-tard, youd know they usually rack up some mean points and kills, they may make an open target but the typical strategy is to fly in like a bullet and kill anything unfortanate enough to fly in your path. I'll sometimes go all out saw and have the least deaths. :O

vash763
September 18, 2005, 5:49 am
quote:Originally posted by Extacidequote:Originally posted by fuvekiquote:Originally posted by vash763It's real simple; whip out a saw. No need for aim, no one tells you you suck, and it's ALOT more rewarding.

If you've ever seen a *good* saw-tard, youd know they usually rack up some mean points and kills, they may make an open target but the typical strategy is to fly in like a bullet and kill anything unfortanate enough to fly in your path. I'll sometimes go all out saw and have the least deaths. :O

Thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth! :D

Ya, real men (aka saw-tards) are crazy good. It's basically a bunch of air proning, and getting the spawn-switch weapon down.

Trust me, the funnest thing I've ever done in soldat is become a bullet and fly into a camper hidden in a bush, then sending thier guts all over the place haha.

im Spicy
September 18, 2005, 5:53 am
saw=muck skill. i know that the use of the saw improved my movement 10x. its also sw33t wen u r goin in soperman an takin out ppl an everybody goes "DAMN!"

reckon
September 18, 2005, 6:43 am
Youre better than this Angry, and I wont stand for it!
Gather your senses and regain the gumption to take out those (Please refrain from swearing)s, the way <3 does!

Leo
September 18, 2005, 8:21 am
Why I never listen complaints about the barret in my realistic server ? Is it because the barret is more hard to use or because you die easier from all weapons ? I wonder sometimes... :)

Chakra`
September 18, 2005, 9:54 am
REAL MODE ROCKS!! \m/

F3nyx
September 18, 2005, 10:48 am
If you're much good with other weapons, I don't think you'll have to worry about getting addicted to the Barret. It's so boring that you'll soon be longing to use a more interesting weapon.

GAMEOVER
September 18, 2005, 11:33 am
I really cant stand that gun even when it does no damage and they miss 90% of em look like idiots running away and to you that do this, you still die anyway idiots.

Captain Ben
September 18, 2005, 1:36 pm
I'd have to say, the barret and m79's are tempting, because of their seemingly-infinte power. One hit = One kill. Many new players (me included) haved flocked and will alwayd flock to the one shots.

But yeah, I hate it when they run away.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 8:00 pm
With these kinds of things, you have to remember: Although you alone taking a certain action or inaction that is derogatory to situation as a whole may have minimal effect, there are many people out there, a large portion of whom are thinking the same thing. By rejecting the urge to "join the dark side," you are not only taking things one step in the right direction overall, but it encourages those who are like-minded to do the same.

That being said, I find barret useful for things like sniping that pesky enemy flagger that's hiding up in the b2b bravo base, but for the love of all that is sacred, don't go assaulting with the thing. If I had my way you'd have to kneel or go prone to fire the gun.

TheRelinquished
September 18, 2005, 9:18 pm
Okay, a few things. First of all, I'm sick and tired of people bashing weapons for no good reason. They seem to think that if someone can use a weapon effectively against them, and consistently so, then it's overpowered/wh*re-ish/tarded. This is folly. Every weapon has unique qualities and can be used effectively against any other weapon given the skill level of the player. For instance. If you have a pro using a mini, versus a cockeyed nub on the barret who can't hit the broad side of barn, then the mini will very likely win using a superior technique, strategy, etc.

Now given that, I don't mean to defend barrets alone. I've been called a "saw-tard" so many times now that it's ridiculous. I can tell the good players from the bad ones because the former tends to chuckle when they and three teammates get slaughtered by my wayfaring saw, while the latter will cry out in indignation at my kicking his arse with a point-blank-only weapon. Would they rather I did it unarmed? So that I disarm them and then punch them in the groin till they're dead? I don't know. But I like my more efficient solution of the saw. I've also been called a "spaz-tard" and even a "knife wh*re". How is that not just a player's excuse for getting his arse handed to him?

Last of all, in specific reference to the barret and m79, they are both legitimate weapons. And they both have strategies that make them work very well. And even the barret can have an intimidating running game. Especially on large maps. Whether or not you like the wepaons is a different cup of tea altogether. I hate the m79, but I still use it on occaison, and I don't call out people for using it. I might say, "I hate m79s," but I almost always add, "not for good reason, I just do."

It just bothers me that people can only feel better about themselves by blaming others' choices in weapons. It really shows a lack of integrity. I think it would improve the community if people would consider these issues in a different light, and actually make some realistic conclusions.

~TheRelinquished

Post Scriptum:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Then beat 'em.

Trust me, it's fun.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 9:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by Mister AngryLately I've been annoyed with the increase with one hit kill weapons, mainly the Barret. Well I have been thinking... Should I increase the population of one hit kill weapon users and use the weapon I hated the most? I just can't enjoy Soldat as much as I used to because I'm sick of trying to takedown a team of 5 reds with barrets. Not even my Minigun's effect to bink helps much.

dont fall to the dark side as i did oh lordly i use to use barret and be really good but i find that its a waste full wp rate of fire is slow but i made up for it by using soccom and i used to come in the top 4 but now with my auto i come in ,in the top 2 and i never get beaten by barret becuase i used to be one so i know almost every move there going to make and its not hard to dodge them but once in a while when everyone esle is using barrets it dose suck if your playing and owning one guy and then get sniped in the back and stuff sooo....DONT FALL TO THE DARK SIDE

giff
September 18, 2005, 10:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by ExtacideIndeed, public servers are no fun anymore. Obvious solution is to go to a private server but what fun is it if thats your only resort to get away from them? In 1.2 youd never see more then 1-2 barretards and 1-2 m79ers, and alot of autos and 1 shot guns. Id rather live with 1.2.1 then have tobe barraged with 10 barret and m79 shots.

I totally disagree... back in 1.2 EVERYONE used Barret's because it was so incredibly easy to get kills with them. I remember playing most games and each team would have 3-5 barretteers, 2-4 M79's, and a Deagle or Spas-er. When I'd see someone using an AK I'd be kind of suprised and impressed.
The only clan I remember actually having good weapon spread was 2wai... they had a SICK AK-er, I forget his name.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 11:31 pm
Well, TheRelinquished...overpowered? Maybe not...But when you're playing INF on the red team for example...Just think about a 5 vs 5 match with every blue using a barret, and they are all modertaly skilled or a pro with it. Always happen to me...Except I'm on blue and I have to put up with a team of elite snipers...Then again does what I'm saying matters. We only heard somethng like what I said only five billion times now.

Anyways Like I said before, I probably won't head to the Darkside....yet....

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 12:30 am
quote:Originally posted by giffquote:Originally posted by ExtacideIndeed, public servers are no fun anymore. Obvious solution is to go to a private server but what fun is it if thats your only resort to get away from them? In 1.2 youd never see more then 1-2 barretards and 1-2 m79ers, and alot of autos and 1 shot guns. Id rather live with 1.2.1 then have tobe barraged with 10 barret and m79 shots.

I totally disagree... back in 1.2 EVERYONE used Barret's because it was so incredibly easy to get kills with them. I remember playing most games and each team would have 3-5 barretteers, 2-4 M79's, and a Deagle or Spas-er. When I'd see someone using an AK I'd be kind of suprised and impressed.
The only clan I remember actually having good weapon spread was 2wai... they had a SICK AK-er, I forget his name.

Heh, back in 1.2.1 (Thats as far back as I go unfortanately =3) id only see about 1-2 of each weapon except for spas and mp5 and sometimes ruger, not sure about you guys but i never seen any of them too often. In ctf's there would be just a bit more m79s and barrets but theres definetly not as many m79ers and barretards in 1.2.1 then there is in 1.3, plus in 1.3 all the weapons were uber nerfed, they're now harder to kill.

Btw, spas-tard or saw-tard? Never heard those comments before? O.o; Maybe knife (Please refrain from swearing) some times but never those.

tRaQs
September 19, 2005, 1:02 am
@ relinquished

It's not a matter of people just complainin about barret, but when you play a ctf and 2-5 people are by flag barreting you, No matter how good you are with the wep, you will get killed 99.99% of the time.

a base with 5 campers

2 n00b campers- 20% hit ratio
1 super good sniper-85% hit ratio
2 ok snipers-65% hit ratio

Do the numbers, even if the top three players miss, the two n00bs combined percentage still leaves you at a 6:4 live probability,not to mention they still have nades to throw. and then when you running back, a friggin camper snipes/nades you.

It's so abused, I mean I admit I enjoy using the barret, for it's sheer power and range, but I would stick with my hks any day over that thing.

TheRelinquished
September 19, 2005, 1:44 am
To tRaQs:
You have a valid point. However, I still press the issue. For one, it's a tough gig to kill five soldats wielding any weapon. Not saying it couldn't be done, but still, that's no fair match for one soldier. But there are solutions to these situations. The first and most obvious solution is TEAMWORK. A little known concept these days. Mind you this requires two things: good communication and good players. Not an easy thing to shake, but when you think about it, where are the campers going while you type? Yeah, they'll be there.

Weapon choice is another factor as well. You need something that "scrambles" well. Shotgun, minimi, and nades are fine examples of scrambling weapons. All of them are potent, versatile, and best of all, binking. This is actually my favorite strategy since I would rather clear the base then capture the flag. This requires ridiculous mobility on the player's part, however. It is a very direct solution and if you don't know how to dodge barrets (yes, even the good one) then you may as well m79 your way to a 1:1 K:D and call it a day.

(Also to Angry about Inf)
But if it's five on five, then the campers are already screwed. Without a running game they can easily be broken up every time with a four-man scramble strategy with a crowd control backup (i.e. barret, m79, ruger, etc.). And if one guy is willing to play decoy he can run in Leroy Jenkins style and set 2-5 of the barrets to firing unnecessarily, leaving an open field of sitting ducks for the other four guys.

Mind you that this is idealistic in that you would have to come across some very high class players to execute this strategy so effectively, but those should be the type of players that Inf games attract anyway. So I guess until we find out a way to implement a culling system into the community we'll just have to hope for a lucky draw of servers.

....MM really needs to get cracking on the culling system....

~TheRelinquished

MOFO NOFO
September 19, 2005, 2:09 pm
Woah who are most of you people?

GAMEOVER
September 19, 2005, 2:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMamma

That being said, I find barret useful for things like sniping that pesky enemy flagger that's hiding up in the b2b bravo base, but for the love of all that is sacred, don't go assaulting with the thing. If I had my way you'd have to kneel or go prone to fire the gun.

You got it all wrong barreters NEED to go assaulting with the thing to get any kind of respect at all campers get no respect what so ever period. I dont care if you just stop for a few and sit for a few then take a shot and move to the next spot and wait your still camping and your still lame. Whenever I snatch this weapon off a nub camper I assault with it fire then ditch it.

On a side note im really disappointed that 1.3 nerfed all weapons aside from the barret wheres the weapon balance in this? I seriously hope MM dont nerf these same weapons anymore and that he does something with the barret like making it a mandatory head shot or at the very least above the waste 1 shot kill thatd force campers to learn how to aim instead of just blasting at a large target. Id also like to see the bullet speed swaped between the barret and the ruger. But my 1st suggestion is more important.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 5:38 pm
(GO you need some punctuation in those sentances) My ideas for really bring barret to balancing is that any shot below the chest kills instantly, and anything below just damages the soldat critically. Theres so many things you could do but for gods sake nerf the damn thing.