( search forums )
I Need Help
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
T-Money
September 18, 2005, 3:57 am
The title of this thread is true in more ways than you can know.

I just started up a saw-only server that I put up from time to time called Lithium's House O' Saws. I'm starting to get the hang of it, having fun playing around with the server commands and figuring everything out. I actually had a pretty decent volume of traffic coming through right after I started it up, and I want to try out the Dedicated Server.

Far as I know, this is a thing that lets you run a server without having to actually play in it. Now, I can figure that out fine, but how the hell do I join it? I can get it to run and everything, but I can't get on because when I try to join from the Soldat window, it says something like "cannot join, dedicated server option is on." I tried fixing this by turning off the "dedicated server" option in Soldat.ini, but no dice. If anyone can fill me in on how to poke my head in and actively admin when I'm running dedicated, I'd really appreciate it.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:14 am
You need to run the file called dedicated.bat in the soldat folder, and then run soldat.exe to join it.

the batch file runs soldat.exe -dedicated, so its dedicated. Also open soldat.ini and make sure it says Dedicated=0 (Search for that line)

T-Money
September 18, 2005, 4:17 am
Wait, i'm confused. That's what I've been doing. I run the dedicated server, then I run soldat.exe. But that's not working.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 4:49 am
Also open soldat.ini and make sure it says Dedicated=0 (Search for that line)

T-Money
September 18, 2005, 5:51 am
First off, I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks.

But it's not working. The initial problem is fixed, but now next ot my server I get a ??? for the ping and the dreaded wait-forever-but-never-join thing. Any ideas?

Stealth870
September 19, 2005, 3:02 pm
Did you join via the ip? If your hosting a ded. server on the same machine your playing on, use the IP 127.0.0.1

T-Money
September 19, 2005, 5:50 pm
Got it! Thanks, that was exactly the problem.

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 1:40 am
You can just join from local instead of internt

FliesLikeABrick
September 27, 2005, 12:20 pm
Is he running the actual dedicated server or the built-in "dedicated server"?

if the latter, I would highly reccommend he does not use that, but actually downloads and uses 2.3.7 since it is stable, faster, and more secure.