( search forums )
Another whining topic..
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 9:54 am
Hello. Those who know me a bit would tell you I've always hated barret users.. not only those who camp in the bushes all the time, but simply all of them.

However, people kept telling me how difficult it is to really master the barret and how cheap and lame it is to whine about a weapon, which is perfectly ballanced by all means.

So, there I was sitting by my computer on one rainy day, I was bored and had nothing to do.. so I decided I would try using barret for a while, to get some idea about a life of a common barretard.

And since I didn't want to have any advantage as an experienced knife user, I chose soccom to be my secondary. And here is my story..

Day 1:
I couldn't hit anything.. no matter how hard I tried, my shot never met it's target while I was moving.
It was the 'animal farm' serer, when everyone uses only barret even though the full scale of weaps is availible, so I didn't have to deal with bink..
I tried crouching before shooting, which helped a bit and I also tried true camping, which enabled me to have K:D like 1:3 ( I had 1:5 without camping :p ). But most of my kills were done by the soccom, anyway.
After 2 hours of playing I was really pissed off and I left.

Day 4:
Before I joined the tln server, where people sometimes use other guns apart from the barret, I had been training for 2 days ( every day for about 2-3 hours ) on the animal farm, trying to improve my aim and to learn how to move on various CTF maps.
So, on the 4th Day, I joined the tln server.. I was really surprised, that auto/semi-auto users caused me much less trouble, than I had expected.. of course, when an auto user managed to hit me, I had to kill him with my soccom, but most of the time I was lucky enough to kill him before he even noticed me.
I also had several double/tripple kills with my soccom. I realised, that pressing the 'move up' button or the 'jet' button solved most of my troubles with knifers, that I usually managed to kill with one clip before they switched to their primary ( after they failed their throw ).
I left after 3 hours of playing. My K/D was 1:2 at the beginning and 1:1 at the end.

Day 6:
After another 2 days I became really good. I was able to hit even quite dificult, fast moving targets and to safely evade other barretards. My K:D was usually around 2-3:1, people started to call me 'f*cking barretard' and attempted to kick me several times.
I realised that it's a waste of bullet to kill non-auto users with the barret, since it's more effective to hunt them down with the soccom. Soccom also proved to be very useful even for long distances, to chase enemy flag carriers eg. on ct_run and similar maps.

Today:
Another 2 days passed, so this is my 8th day of being a barretard. I happen to be the one with the best score very often ( depends on the number of caps ) and I usually have the most kills. I miss only about 20% of my barret shots, but I don't really care tbh, because I easily kill those missed targets with my soccom.
I even played on a server where I had ping over 160 ( I usually play only with ping below 80 ) and I still rocked.

Summary:

It takes about a week of playing about 3hrs/day to become an experienced barretard. If you try a bit and if you use the poor soccom instead of the overpowered knife, you should be able to own deaglers, ruger and spas users and most of the auto users.
I know I was playing only on publics, but still I hope this topic will make some 'responsible' people think about the barret.
I would also like to point out that knife is a piece of sh*t compared to the soccom and there's no way to deny it :p

P.S.: When I think about it again, it's not a whining topic at all. I'm a happy barretard now :p

Jap_man
September 18, 2005, 10:22 am
You learn something everyday don't you?
But this will most definately vary amongst other players.
Some players (who never use the Barret) could choose the Barret and have a 70~90% accuracy rate and totally kick arse with it, but others would never hit a target and get killed easily.

Obviously it takes a fair bit of time to become "experienced" with the Barret but really the fact that the Barret is a "point and click" weapon still makes it a much easier weapon to handle than other weapons.

.alex.oner.
September 18, 2005, 11:28 am
rugger is a point and hit weapon aswell, OMG LAME RUGGGEEERR!!!!

..no, but i use to dislike barret aswell, then trying it out myself i found it pretty hard, but its usefull to learn with if you need to take alt routes, or to return the flag (from what i've found)..

anyway i have a gather now, so, err.. brb?

DeMonIc
September 18, 2005, 11:52 am
A week of playing 3 hours a day? Let's see, that's 21 hours, and you become a nice-shot with a barret.

I'll admit, the weapon balance is more clan-war friendly than public friendly. There's one more step on the barret-using ladder: and that's being able to use it really effectively against players on your skill level or higher. And I'd wager that takes way more time to learn, since you can only learn that in clan wars / gathers, but not in publics.

21 hours.. is that a small amount of time? It's a simple 2D game with 10 primaries.. how much does it take to learn to use other weapons on higher-than-average level? It varies, because it's subjective. Some people are more used to clicking only once, and some people are more comfortable holding down the mouse button for longer periods. But how long does it take? I bet it goes from 10 hours of play to 25 hours of excessive playing with the weapon you choose to master.

Interesting experiment you've done here, but as Scapegoat of 1.3, I still fail to see serious balance problems. (Serious: barret in 1.2.0, DE and spraying in 1.2.1)

Mielos
September 18, 2005, 1:05 pm
Soccom is only usefull for weapons with a long reload, or barret. It does deal a lot of damage tough, too much maybe. Anyway barret takes some time to get used to yes, like any other weapon. But once you're used to it, you're pretty much unstoppable unless you're outnumbered. I think for new users, barret is of the easyest weapons to get used to. Because it barely has an arc, and I believe that the arc is the most difficult thing to get used to for new players.

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 1:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lao Wu TenHello. Those who know me a bit would tell you I've always hated barret users.. not only those who camp in the bushes all the time, but simply all of them.

However, people kept telling me how difficult it is to really master the barret and how cheap and lame it is to whine about a weapon, which is perfectly ballanced by all means.

So, there I was sitting by my computer on one rainy day, I was bored and had nothing to do.. so I decided I would try using barret for a while, to get some idea about a life of a common barretard.

And since I didn't want to have any advantage as an experienced knife user, I chose soccom to be my secondary. And here is my story..

Day 1:
I couldn't hit anything.. no matter how hard I tried, my shot never met it's target while I was moving.
It was the 'animal farm' serer, when everyone uses only barret even though the full scale of weaps is availible, so I didn't have to deal with bink..
I tried crouching before shooting, which helped a bit and I also tried true camping, which enabled me to have K:D like 1:3 ( I had 1:5 without camping :p ). But most of my kills were done by the soccom, anyway.
After 2 hours of playing I was really pissed off and I left.

Day 4:
Before I joined the tln server, where people sometimes use other guns apart from the barret, I had been training for 2 days ( every day for about 2-3 hours ) on the animal farm, trying to improve my aim and to learn how to move on various CTF maps.
So, on the 4th Day, I joined the tln server.. I was really surprised, that auto/semi-auto users caused me much less trouble, than I had expected.. of course, when an auto user managed to hit me, I had to kill him with my soccom, but most of the time I was lucky enough to kill him before he even noticed me.
I also had several double/tripple kills with my soccom. I realised, that pressing the 'move up' button or the 'jet' button solved most of my troubles with knifers, that I usually managed to kill with one clip before they switched to their primary ( after they failed their throw ).
I left after 3 hours of playing. My K/D was 1:2 at the beginning and 1:1 at the end.

Day 6:
After another 2 days I became really good. I was able to hit even quite dificult, fast moving targets and to safely evade other barretards. My K:D was usually around 2-3:1, people started to call me 'f*cking barretard' and attempted to kick me several times.
I realised that it's a waste of bullet to kill non-auto users with the barret, since it's more effective to hunt them down with the soccom. Soccom also proved to be very useful even for long distances, to chase enemy flag carriers eg. on ct_run and similar maps.

Today:
Another 2 days passed, so this is my 8th day of being a barretard. I happen to be the one with the best score very often ( depends on the number of caps ) and I usually have the most kills. I miss only about 20% of my barret shots, but I don't really care tbh, because I easily kill those missed targets with my soccom.
I even played on a server where I had ping over 160 ( I usually play only with ping below 80 ) and I still rocked.

Summary:

It takes about a week of playing about 3hrs/day to become an experienced barretard. If you try a bit and if you use the poor soccom instead of the overpowered knife, you should be able to own deaglers, ruger and spas users and most of the auto users.
I know I was playing only on publics, but still I hope this topic will make some 'responsible' people think about the barret.
I would also like to point out that knife is a piece of sh*t compared to the soccom and there's no way to deny it :p

P.S.: When I think about it again, it's not a whining topic at all. I'm a happy barretard now :p

all i see is: fartfartfartfartfartfart

Edit by b00stA: removed HHH's brainfart.

frogboy
September 18, 2005, 1:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by HHH
all i see is:
ALL I SEE IS SPAM.

Thanks for the scrollbar.

Captain Ben
September 18, 2005, 1:30 pm
Egads! The only time I ever resort to using a barret, is when I pick one up after knifing someone. Then it gets dropped once used, even if I didn't hit what I was aiming at, which is about fifty percent of the time.

UGK
September 18, 2005, 5:39 pm
yeah all i see is spam too. Freakin hate scroll bars.

Tai223236
September 18, 2005, 5:49 pm
Deagles and SOCOM are very fatal when I use them. :-)

.alex.oner.
September 18, 2005, 5:56 pm
HHH seems to be an offical, twat!

Kazuki
September 18, 2005, 5:58 pm
Oh, dear Lord. :( Another one bites the barret-filled dustbunny. Though the barret is balanced, it is still extremely annoying when the barret seems to hit every target. I despise those types of barreters (*ahem*Superkill) .

Off-topic, HHH, after posting that thread in the Bash Pit, you continue to be an idiot and an ass-O simultaneously. My God, some people just need a good beating.

ThaD
September 18, 2005, 9:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lao Wu TenSummary:

It takes about a week of playing about 3hrs/day to become an experienced barretard.

It takes about 5 minutes to become an experienced autos user

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 12:39 am
Yet again, another barretard has been unleashed into the soldat world...If you want a real challenge, try playing 21 hours of soldat total without dying to a barretard in pub servers.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 12:45 am
I like Barret, I just think it's annoying when an enemy spots you in the air, and has to stand still to actually hit you.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 5:55 am
Extacide> God, no.. my life would lie in ruins soon, if I remained a barretard.. I was just testing.. I was.. please -///

ThaD> Autos aren't IK weapons..

Demonic> I know, I know.. the mighty gathers and CWs, yes yes yes.. but still, I don't like the way experienced players approach newbies and people from the publics in general..

There are many soldat players, now.. but keep in mind that anyone may leave any day.. it's natural, old ones leave, new ones come.. the problem is, that with this 'balance' and attitude, the newcomers will be mostly wildly lol-ing and wtf-ing barretards :p

Well, former Q3A freeze mod elite would surely tell you how quickly can community die -)

vash763
September 19, 2005, 6:17 am
I can't shoot (Please refrain from swearing) with barret now, now 1.2.1 i was alot better

now i use deagles/knife!

SAW

ThaD
September 19, 2005, 9:15 am
"ThaD> Autos aren't IK weapons.." - my point is i'd rather play against a newbe who is using Barret, at least he spent some time learning how to use it

frogboy
September 19, 2005, 9:25 am
quote:Originally posted by ThaD"ThaD> Autos aren't IK weapons.." - my point is i'd rather play against a newbe who is using Barret, at least he spent some time learning how to use it
I almost always use autos, Ruger or Deagles, but whenever I try using one-hit-kill weapons I find them ridiculously easy. At least with autos you have to get used to self-bink.

m00`
September 19, 2005, 10:08 am
i think this experiment is pretty pathetic, you dont need skill to learn barret, you just need to know how to move the cursor and shoot in a straight line, your not supposed to be jumping around with a barret unless your a die hard barret noob that thinks hes elite

frogboy
September 19, 2005, 10:37 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`i think this experiment is pretty pathetic, you dont need skill to learn barret, you just need to know how to move the cursor and shoot in a straight line, your not supposed to be jumping around with a barret unless your a die hard barret noob that thinks hes elite
I agree, somewhat. While Soldat isn't supposed to be entirely realistic, I don't exactly think people are jumping around in real life with a 13kg sniper rifle. That being said, whenever I use Barret, I tend to attack. And hit, easily.

ThaD
September 19, 2005, 11:55 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by ThaD"ThaD> Autos aren't IK weapons.." - my point is i'd rather play against a newbe who is using Barret, at least he spent some time learning how to use it
I almost always use autos, Ruger or Deagles, but whenever I try using one-hit-kill weapons I find them ridiculously easy. At least with autos you have to get used to self-bink.

hehe that's because you're an experienced player, we should ask some noobs which weapon is easier to use ;)

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 5:34 pm
Yes, lets go around interveiwing every newbie. What weapon do you find easiest to kill with? "o um....barret, that or m79" Guarentee you EVERY newbie would say that. Unlike any other gun, with a barret or m79 the worst of players can kill the best of players, which is why they annoy me..

Well, similar to your experiment I conducted my own...well, i didnt have an experiment but ive been noticing. Have you ever gone into a public server, where theres like 2-3 newbies running around with a 1-shot kill gun, and you for example own them at every turn hardcore with deagles, so they pick them up and try to kill like you. Then, after failing every single time they go back to the 1 shot kill gun because they cant kill with the guns your using? Just something I realized.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 6:59 pm
Hmm, once I picked up a barret from the ground, got 5 consecutive kills with it.... I hardly have ever used it.
I guess the avoid bink just jump and when you're at the peak of your jump fire, because I think it calculates bink by how fast you are moving...

Mielos
September 19, 2005, 9:20 pm
I think it's movementacc and not bink that you mean. Bink is the inaccuracy when you get hit.