( search forums )
falling on ur back
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
numgun
September 18, 2005, 4:48 pm
as the title says: u would be able to fall on your back.
can be simply performed by pressing for example the 'z' button (that would the default button for it)
pros & cons:

+new dodging move
+u can fly backwards
+good for suprising ur opponents
+u can shoot

-u cant move until u get up, coz u will be liyng down on ur back.

what da ya think?

Deleted User
September 18, 2005, 10:41 pm
Sounds ok, but i know i'd get it confused with prone.

F3nyx
September 19, 2005, 12:10 am
Hmm. Here's an idea. How about a single "fall down" key -- say X, for simplicity. If you press it while standing still or running/flying forwards, you fall prone. If you press it while running/flying backwards, you fall on your back. Since I almost never see anyone going prone while running/flying backwards, you probably wouldn't fall backwards by accident. Also, having both controlled by a single key would avoid most of the confusion.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 12:54 am
nice, i liek F3nyx's thoughts on the idea

zyxstand
September 19, 2005, 2:19 am
i got a lil problem with F3nyx's idea... i love (when retreating) flying backwards away from enemy and going to reg. prone position and fire my last bullet before covered by poly/sandbag...

however, a way to make this better is to go prone in the direction pressed when pressing 'x'
thta means, while moving right and backwards, you can press left and x quickly and you go to normal prone...and if you press right and x while moving right and backwards, he'd do the new move (and with boosts make yourself fly away and down (like reg. prone flying) while firing at your (following) enemy.

F3nyx
September 19, 2005, 4:04 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandi got a lil problem with F3nyx's idea... i love (when retreating) flying backwards away from enemy and going to reg. prone position and fire my last bullet before covered by poly/sandbag...

however, a way to make this better is to go prone in the direction pressed when pressing 'x'
thta means, while moving right and backwards, you can press left and x quickly and you go to normal prone...and if you press right and x while moving right and backwards, he'd do the new move (and with boosts make yourself fly away and down (like reg. prone flying) while firing at your (following) enemy.
That makes sense. The direction of the fall could depend either on the button currently being pressed, or on the soldier's acceleration, rather than velocity as I initially proposed. This would give most people the same result as my suggestion, but would allow a bit more finesse.

Deleted User
September 19, 2005, 5:46 pm
Oh god...I can see the sick ass possibilities of this - so let me get this straight, this is about an implementation of the ability to prone backwards, like flying with your back facing down and being able to shoot while doing this...

Oh god soldat just gets more and more like the matrix every day. I love it.

zyxstand
September 19, 2005, 9:10 pm
i'd love it if soldat turns out to have like a LOT of possibilities for moves that you can do - it makes the games require more skill to be played to its fullest extent and, as Extacide said, allows it to become more action packed like the matrix.

{ps: for cool scrolling background, go to downloads.com and get 'zmatrix'!!!)

Deleted User
September 20, 2005, 1:00 am
*remembers a moment in the matrix where whats her name flies backwards into a window down a stairway with her guns n stuff....* Oh thats be sick to do in soldat. Hrm. I wonder what the possibility is of making breakable poly's.

Deleted User
September 20, 2005, 1:03 am
omg altering gravity 0_0 that would be awesome like certain maps would have like 11/8 the gravity of earth, and some 1/50...

zyxstand
September 20, 2005, 2:55 am
lol 1/50...then just say 'no grav'
then why not let soldiers be able to turn upside down against polies from the bottom (with such low grav, you could actually walk along an upside down wall for a considerable amount of time...)...

yea extacide, i remember that part...then we could make a 'matrix' the movie in soldat...starring zyxstand as Neo (Woot). and you can be trinity - and you'll fly backwards through the window and then type 'get up trin' 'GET - UP!' and then run.

Deleted User
September 20, 2005, 5:22 am
Why do I have to be teh girl. I shall be morpheus! Michal! I shall add this improvement to my now 292 demands for soldat! :D

numgun
September 21, 2005, 9:50 am
whoa... the topic was about falling on ur back, but now all is talking about gravity! funny thing :P

GAMEOVER
September 21, 2005, 10:07 am
Dont care for it theres enough movement in soldat and the back flip is good enough any more little stuff and well all look like circus clowns with guns :/

zyxstand
September 21, 2005, 9:22 pm
i might have a better idea/improvement to this idea!

what if, when you're flat (prone or on ur back) with your head to the right and feet to the left and mouse left too - and you decide to switch directions... it'd be cool if the player just switches direction like this (from A to B):

[IMAGE]

and you could keep switching between those to positions (depending on where your mouse is - kinda like in Max Payne (during bullet flying bullet time ... if you played it)

Deleted User
September 21, 2005, 9:32 pm
Whoa ! Great idea.
Im starting to love it. <3 <3 <3

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 12:30 am
Gold, zyx youve done it again, this should deffintly be added

zyxstand
September 22, 2005, 12:41 am
o sry - i forgot to mention that with my last posted idea on this topic, you don't need another button to go prone - you just press 'x' and which ever direction you last pressed, that's the direction his head will be aimed - and you can turn around and do whatever in mid air...

and i also wanted to add that to make it more realistic, he shouldn't be able to get up from this position (and can only get to that position at jump-off) until he hits the ground....but after rehtinking that it's a stupid idea - instead, if you decide to stay like that till impact, you should be able to immeditaely get up (through rolling (like in my topic somewhere in thie forum)) and continue running all in one smooth move.

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 1:21 am
yep, lets keep soldat smooth

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 2:14 am
Omg, Zyxtand, your an effing genius. I swear to god this better be implemented.

Some other ideas I came up to tweak this: Mid air proning flips! Basicly, when your proning fowards or backwards, pressing a hotkey like w+d while proning backwards will cause you to fly upwards in a backflip and break out of proning position. Proning forward can do the same thing, except you front flip out of it. To make sure people dont prone flip 200 times, it can be made so like you have to touch the ground and jump back off to do another, i dont know how everyone would want it.

I got bored and drew a quick pic in illustrator its possibilities. Watch as this barret newbie misses this expert deagler as he matrix style back flips over the bullet and takes the bizatch out. :O

[IMAGE]

There are so many other possibilites with proning backwards and being able to flip while in prone position. This is one idea, which basicly simulates backflipping from the ground into the air, except your backflipping higher into the air while proning backwards.

Some other ways it can be done, it will back flip you and put you in the forward prone position facing the original direction you were facing when you were proning backwards. (Uber matrix moves! :D)

Or, it can make the soldat kind of do a spread out back flip which he can fire his guns whilst hes flipping, in this case the flip will be slower.

Id rather have it where you bursted into a backflip and flew higher up and into a standing position, but anyways, if not prone flipping, atleast continue with the proning with your back facing down. Thats gold, michal you MUST add this.

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 2:53 am
nah i dont like that, adding too much. just zyx's idea is good, small easy usable gold

F3nyx
September 22, 2005, 3:33 am
zyx, that is seriously brilliant. I can't believe it didn't occur to me, as when I saw a similar effect in Max Payne I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I would LOVE to see that in Soldat.

As for Extacide's idea -- awesome illustration, but I think that move would kinda be too easy to pull off... it would be such a useful move that it would be absolutely necessary in EVERY fight, and would thus be annoyingly commonplace. Now if there was a way to actually control your own flip, as if you were adjusting the jet angles yourself, rather than having the game do it automatically... THAT would rock. But I can't imagine how it would be done.

zyxstand
September 22, 2005, 1:49 pm
we could take it a step forward to such a point where now it's plain too much - but i'd still like to say that it'd be extremely cool if you could actually go upside down and turn on your boosts and have a quick vertical drop.
i could see this already in ctf_voland, real/survival - you just capped red's flag and are running top gong left. one guy with ruger is chasing you from behind. another red guy has been warned that their efc is up, so he goes up from his bsae and now you got 2 ppl from 2 directions. right mid way (and both on your screen), you make an insanely awesome type of fleip and turn vertical right above the hole and turn on your boosts full power - at that very instance, the two fire their rugers and, barely missing you, hit each other in a double-ko kill...and you cap

ns story but i know it aint gonna happen - what we have so far is, as Taal said, simply Gold.

Zegovia
September 22, 2005, 4:30 pm
Okay this is what ive got so far..

When staying still, when pressing X (prone default), youll prone! duh?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Zegovia/trash/scrap.jpg
And when running facing forward and pressing X, youll prone too, but faster.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Zegovia/trash/scrap2.jpg

These two are no new deal....

And the new deal youve suggested is that when you run facing BACKWARDS and press X, youll prone backwards too...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Zegovia/trash/scrap3.jpg

I like this idea, you could make some nifty stunts with it..

numgun
September 22, 2005, 6:03 pm
i dont get it... did zyxstand steal my idea? or did he add sumthing to it? or he mixed all an made sumthing different...
(im being confused)

also... when flying backwards, u can only fly downwards(like prone flying)

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 8:09 pm
Wow Zegovia, nice drawings!
I support this idea 100 percent, but you shouldn't be able to use the barrett's scope while lying on your back. Just a thought.

Deleted User
September 22, 2005, 8:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by numguni dont get it... did zyxstand steal my idea? or did he add sumthing to it? or he mixed all an made sumthing different...
(im being confused)

also... when flying backwards, u can only fly downwards(like prone flying)

No, he took your idea and made it 200x better. And no one has decided on that yet, but imho you should be able to fly in both directiosn both up and down, however I guess it would be logical to fly downwards.

Anyways, prone flips or no prone flips this idea rocks. Period.

xtishereb
September 22, 2005, 10:14 pm
This is probably the best idea I've ever seen. It would be totally awesome to go prone on your back, especially while flying. Think of all the showboating in inf_Fortress!
I don't think being able to switch between prone and lying on your back would work, because when you move the cursor behind you when prone, you automatily get up.
But, what would work is automaticly switching between prone and lying on your back when you move the cursor behind you. This would also make more breakdancing moves in Soldat possilbe. I mean, we've already got moonwalking, flips, the worm, and dives. It would be totally awesome to get rolls in there! XD

zyxstand
September 23, 2005, 12:11 am
sry for making it seem as if i'm stealing your topic numgun - and all i'm doing is, as Extacide said, making it 200x better...
but rly, we couldn't have done it without your help.

quote:Originally posted by xtisherebThis is probably the best idea I've ever seen. It would be totally awesome to go prone on your back, especially while flying. Think of all the showboating in inf_Fortress!
I don't think being able to switch between prone and lying on your back would work, because when you move the cursor behind you when prone, you automatily get up.
But, what would work is automaticly switching between prone and lying on your back when you move the cursor behind you. This would also make more breakdancing moves in Soldat possilbe. I mean, we've already got moonwalking, flips, the worm, and dives. It would be totally awesome to get rolls in there! XD

LMAO
now i dunno wtf's going on but either you just totally contradicted yourself or i'm just not getting it.
also, a RLY important factor you guys have to remember is that while proning or lying on your back, assuming you can switch between them they wouldn't switch according to mouse being left of player or right of him - instead, it should switch when mouse is above or below (it actually is still RELATIVE left and right).

...now all we'd need to do is magically (in a cool way) incorporate slow motion while doing so (again, like in Max Payne)... but that'd be unreasonable to slo-mo whenever you want.

F3nyx
September 23, 2005, 12:21 am
Are you sure it would work that way, with the switch being up vs. down rather than left vs. right? As currently implemented, the prone position allows you to fire through a full 180 degrees either left or right. Of course, it looks a little silly to have them holding their guns behind their head and firing.

Just pointing out that this would be a significant (but logical) change for the angles at which you can fire from the prone position.

As for the slo-mo, hadn't you noticed we've already got it? I already love pulling off sweet moves when the bullet-time goes on. Imagine the new possibilities.

zyxstand
September 23, 2005, 1:22 am
well problem is the bullet time doesn't go off when you rly need it. it's cooler to kill someone while in bullet time then to get bullet time after someone gets killed. play Max Payne for the experience to get a better understanding of what i'm trying to get across.

Deleted User
September 23, 2005, 3:13 am
zegs idea should be added as well as zyx's there both gold

Deleted User
September 23, 2005, 4:06 am
Meh, I still want prone flipping. Anything that adds more depth to movement in soldat to make dodging bullets funner and cooler would never hurt. Of course to counter this michal might have to pump some more power into each gun, but that would be fun. 1v1's would be uber interesting.

Now to get michals attention so he can implement this idea. :D

Zegovia
September 23, 2005, 3:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockWow Zegovia, nice drawings!
I support this idea 100 percent, but you shouldn't be able to use the barrett's scope while lying on your back. Just a thought.

Meh.... The deagles in it is just about the only things worth mentioning.... the rest is just crappy sticks...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Zegovia/Guns/deagles.jpg

And i thought further into it, many people likes to just prone forwards when they are running backwards, but with my idea, youll flip onto the back. that is easy solved, all you have to do is to let go of the "running back" button and then press "prone"...

zyxstand
September 23, 2005, 9:15 pm
and what if you don't wanna go lying on your bakc while you're running backwards?
what if you wanna go to prone positiong and right-click to stop moving. very useful in ctf_voland when escaping top and you're running real fast (facing backwards or w.e) and you wanna as fast as possible escape through the middle hole by going prone (against the direction your running) and turn on ur boosts to cancel your movement and go down.

with what zegovia said, you can have more ability for moves...

i like the idea of having a game with a lot of complicated buttons to be pressed as long as they are reasonable for their purpose (and making it a bit more complicated to play tot he fullest extent) unlike those tekken games where you have to like memorize button-combinations to pull off some good moves.

also really important which i forgot to mention is that michal should change the defualt prone button to like the space bar (i know you can change it manually) because pressing pressing 'd' and 'x' just isn't most comfortable for me. and your thumb just sits there over the space button for nothing anyways.

numgun
October 26, 2005, 6:12 pm
*topic revival*
Michal must see this 1!!!
: D

afly
October 26, 2005, 7:02 pm
Definitly Implement what zyxs said. 100% support. (and great work coming up with the idea numgun)

F3nyx
October 26, 2005, 8:04 pm
I just remembered, if you're prone and flip over, that position is called "supine." A vote for me is a vote for prone/supine twisting! ... or something. Anyway, this idea still rocks and deserves more attention than it's getting.

Swarmer
October 26, 2005, 9:06 pm
landing on your back should also be auto-death in realistic mode.

Stern
October 26, 2005, 9:20 pm
It shouldn't kill you, but should take away 40% of your health. Otherwise, it would be really hard to use because you would often forget to get out of it in time. You should get penalized for it (so noobs don't overuse it) but you shouldn't get killed. That's just too harsh.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 7:11 am
no instant death is good, next time your twisting in the air land on your back, if you dont die or recieve extensive injuries ill buy you a e-drink

numgun
October 28, 2005, 1:37 pm
u guys talking about when ur falling from high on ur back?
if yes, then I think it should be the same as if u were standing normally while falling.

Alamo
October 28, 2005, 2:07 pm
I would rather like this to be more or less random. Falling on your back is not what you want to do when in a firefight. You won't be able to stand up quickly and are more or less a sitting duck. Plus, you can't just jump on your feet like Max Payne does... You're geared up with who knows what weights.
So my suggestion is to have explosions or similar throw you on the back. Maybe the pushing effect should be stronger and you could be blown away by the explosion. So you could continue to shoot when lying on the back but you can't really move. I hope you understand my suggestion :)

... yay for realism :D

numgun
October 28, 2005, 6:24 pm
slow get up? no its not... u just roll backwards and stand up when ur lying on ur back. thats all

October 29, 2005, 5:37 am
Yeah, you can do the prone, and when u hit the ground, it instantly rolls and u come upright again

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 6:52 am
holy hell. NICE

This would be so DAMN COOL.

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 8:59 am
Wow, I remember this topic, and I think people forget its mainly about proning backwards in midair so you flew backwards on your back and could shoot. If not, ignore me.

@117

Yes, another contribution, and you have just furthured the genius of this idea even further.

IMPLEMENT IT DAMN YOU.

numgun
October 29, 2005, 9:12 am
quote:Originally posted by ExtacideWow, I remember this topic, and I think people forget its mainly about proning backwards in midair so you flew backwards on your back and could shoot. If not, ignore me.

yes, thats what i want. this idea could be very useful in this situation:
ctf_run, u have the enemy flag and ur flying to ur base with 1-2 enemy on ur tail. they shoot at u and u do the backward proning, doging the bullets and giving u a nice chance to take em while they r surprised!
: D

October 29, 2005, 10:37 am
We can't put bullet time though... it would be too hard to prone bakcwards... right now my opinion is that the current bullettime is a bit too slow.. and if everytime a person went prone while flying backwards... it would make the game too slow... destroying all the cool bits and making this idea plain annoying.

numgun
October 29, 2005, 6:26 pm
bullet time? why the hell should we even put it there in the 1st place? ; /
backward proning (falling on ur back) works the same way as the forward prone.
and bullet time isnt needed in making moves... just in the ''near-death'' situations >: /

October 29, 2005, 7:28 pm
In the matrix.. ya know... bullet time?

F3nyx
October 29, 2005, 7:45 pm
I don't think people should get knocked on their back by explosions, that would basically make any nearby explosion a one-hit-kill because they'd easily switch to a SOCOM and gun you down while you're lying there.

numgun
October 30, 2005, 2:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117In the matrix.. ya know... bullet time?

dude? how do u read my posts? with ur eyes closed? xD

October 30, 2005, 3:09 pm
Yeah, i also turn off my monitor, and type random crap.

It's just that in the matrix, every time the guy does that, it goes bullet time... which will obviously not be the case for this

EDIT: Make it like in gunz online, you boost/jump to get up

a-4-year-old
October 30, 2005, 8:10 pm
methinks it would be a great improvement! oh yeah i forgot... SOLDAT IS NOT THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Tek -
October 30, 2005, 8:20 pm
quote:[i]Originally posted by zyxstand
[IMAGE]

I agree with this, it would make things so much cooler.

Another problem with this is when you are reloading in prone, and you press x, your guy won't get up, the animations get stuck. You end up having to move your mouse behind your character, so he stands up. If we were going to allow prone to be in all directions then this glitch would need to be fixed.

I rather like the idea where each move is two seperate keys.
And when you are laying on your back, your guy could just roll back out of it?

Now, all we need to do is add a cartwheel move, mamawmawmw. (you could probably jsut edit the roll animation)

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 12:18 am
Well, for right now, we need a backwards prone, this would rock for escaping enemy bases with the flag.

*dreams of himself pwning with deagles, and a backward prone was implemented*

:F

numgun
October 31, 2005, 4:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117Yeah, i also turn off my monitor, and type random crap.

It's just that in the matrix, every time the guy does that, it goes bullet time... which will obviously not be the case for this

EDIT: Make it like in gunz online, you boost/jump to get up

umm... it would look quite stupid if u get bullet time each time u do the movement... so my word is a big NO.

Deleted User
November 1, 2005, 12:16 am
No no no no no no no nononononononononononononono.

Backwards prone, thats all it is. You can fly up, if you're facing the opposite direction that you're going and prone, you'll lean backwards with your guns still pointed in that direction and fly backwards with your back facing downards at an angle. When you land, you'll roll backwards and back on your feet.

NO BULLET TIME.

Gawd i wish this idea would be implemented. :F

numgun
November 1, 2005, 2:04 pm
aah... same here. *dreams of the possibilities*

man... i post like a crazy! : S

zyxstand
November 1, 2005, 4:11 pm
sry for not having been here in a while*... stupid hurricane made me lose internet and power for a week...grr

back to topic: NO BULLET TIME
you can't have it come up everytime somebody decides to go into bullet time.

secondly, while flying backwards in mid-air, pressing prone to get back up won't work well - a much better way to do this is as follow:
while your flying on your back to left (facing right), all you'll have to do to make a backward roll and continue running is just HOLD left (a default) and as soon as you land, if you're holding left then he'll do a roll - as simple as that!

if Michal could just incorporate all those things i've said then together, they'll work out perfectly.

Echo_Trail
November 1, 2005, 7:28 pm
it's a good idea, but i think it should be handelt with great care.. it will easy be crap.! But if hadelt right, i think it could get cool!

zyxstand
November 5, 2005, 7:01 pm
well if it's done it's not too difficultly done wrong. besides, michal and his testers will be sure to check for any problems (such as glitches or difficult to use effectively).

Kaider
November 9, 2005, 6:06 am
This is a great idea.It reminds me alot about The Matrix.The Matrix rocks! The back-prone would open up a whole new selection of how you can manuever your Soldat around.

Yuth
November 11, 2005, 8:05 am
Sounds like a plan. *Thumb Up*

zyxstand
November 11, 2005, 11:02 pm
i wish we could hear michal's opinion...
Donde está Michal?

.Loki
November 12, 2005, 12:09 am
This would be awesome. Pretty much a reverse prone. I'm all for it.

- Tek -
November 12, 2005, 8:10 am
K here's another one that's even more ridiculous.

Upside down?

What if you could go upside down and dive while using jets? I suppose this wouldn't work unless we had certain maps, but it would be intense.

I suppose there would need to be an extra option, like how there's real and normal mode, what about special jets mode, and regular jets mode?

Serisouly diving down head first while firing would be awesome, but I think it would screw you aim, since you'd go so fast.

Then we'd have jets in all 4 directions id the back prone was implemented.

numgun
December 9, 2005, 1:15 pm
special jets mode? nah...
and if u go jet proning normally, u u dont fly too fast :P
and ur aim is normal (movement accuracy only)

Deleted User
December 9, 2005, 1:41 pm
Lol, I love your idea zyx on 1st page. Would make soldat so much cooler :D

numgun
December 9, 2005, 10:12 pm
o_O what? damn u zyx!!!!1

zyxstand
December 10, 2005, 1:05 am
dude numbgun - don't try to post ideas to get you more credit here. this is a place where our creativities join together to compile the best possible idea - i simply just built off your topic - you're still the one that holds the keystone here - think of it this way: without you, all this wouldn't even be here!