( search forums )
Bot control
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Boer
September 20, 2005, 10:17 pm
Im sure somebody has suggested to allow bot to b e controlled:

Why can't bots follow orders? Why don't they play more strategic(hide in ditches , be less predictable , ? Why can't they stay in groups (team games) and support each other?

If a menu could be implemented to gain a user these controls i suggest:

1. take cover -> bots go to nearest collition object , or try to put some maparea between him and the enemy .
2. stay together
3. cover me - > shoots others that shoot me.
4. goto flag }ctf
5. return to base}
press ctrl+1..5^?
basically the functions in some cs bot programs.

maby they should have an extra property in the .bot file that stated how often the gain control over each other , perhaps based on kills/points!

Kyklis
September 20, 2005, 11:47 pm
This would be a bit hard to implement, and pretty useless. If you want to have a more strategic game, play ONLINE.

Jap_man
September 21, 2005, 5:25 am
Kyklis, it's a bit mean to just throw back Boer's suggestions in his face saying that they are useless and teling him to play online, don't bother posting these kinds of things into other people's topics.

Anyways back on topic, the main reason why bots are not able to move freely around is based on the fact that bots can only go to certain waypoints in certain fashions, the better the map has been waypointed the more freely bots are able to move around.

Boer, I like your suggestions on the bots, it would be better to see smarter bots in action, that way new players who are gaining experience will get better faster, not to mention it will mean much more enjoyable offline play etc. To make bots better, move around more freely etc. this whole process way take a little while, Michal might be able to make the bots smarter add bot commands and controls etc. in the next version of soldat but after that you will need to re-waypoint existing maps to make them more flexible for bots etc.

There is no doubt that this is a good idea, and it is possible, but the whole process of raising the current standards of bots may take a little while.

Deleted User
September 21, 2005, 6:28 am
hah you make bots move just like human player if you have a map, good experience on map maker and a damn lot of free time on your hands :P

Boer
September 21, 2005, 7:44 am
I just thought of this because -> since not all of us can have <100ms ping multiplayer games since not all of us live in the EU or mighty USA ! ,actually in some countries you have to pay to make a local call. so we have to either LAN or play against bots ot pay to have laggy online games! that said , who has friends they can lan with 24 hours a day?

Even if the bots can have a extra function or two it wont hurt!

Koon
September 23, 2005, 11:58 pm
Since bots move by waypoints this would be very difficult.

Deleted User
September 24, 2005, 3:45 pm
...how long did it take you do download soldat?

numgun
September 24, 2005, 8:08 pm
lol... this idea would turn soldat into a command & conquer game : P

Kyklis
September 25, 2005, 4:56 am
Wow. I need to think a bit more than I did o.o.

Anyways, yea, I guess if you had a crappy internet, or even NO internet, this would really make games funner. Cept', would be hard to implement :-/.

a-4-year-old
September 25, 2005, 6:41 pm
[a-4-year-old](taunt) get down you retard, your gonna get shot!
[bot] yes master
[a-4-year-old]wtf?!?!?!
[bot] (pixilated voice) omg you uber noob!
[a-4-year-old] omg
[a-4-year-old] has left the game

tRaQs
September 25, 2005, 7:36 pm
that could become very neat, imagine being a spec, picking a bot that best suits your strategy, and implement, this would also allow spectators to talk to the rest of team, allowing them to work together, catch my drift?

xtishereb
September 25, 2005, 9:54 pm
Well, this is a really cool idea. Bots already follow the friendly flag carrier, but it would be great if you could hit a key and have nearby bots follow you until they die, or you die or tell them to stop following you, in which case bots follow the most recent waypoint they hit. Or maybe if bots were given an agression level, like in Unreal Torunament, which decides whether they run up into your face or try to attack from as far away as possible.
Already, bots go get the flag unless they stop to camp, and follow the same path when someone gets the flag, so a "Return to base" command wouldn't be good. But I like the other ideas.

i am ahab
September 25, 2005, 10:47 pm
yes.

as someone who has coded before i can say the following without talking too much outta my rafters:

issueing orders as such would be tricky.

but

if you think a bit about what currently happens, namely bots either run forwards to get the flag, or run back to the base with the flag. firing or not firing depending on stuff. now stuff also dictates lying down, firing continuously etc etc.

so i dont think it would be too hard to flip that behaviour switch from go to enemies base, to go to our base (@xtisherb this would be a good idea as it would encourage them to follow you and fire at the enemy-> thus covering). possibly through a shortcut.

of course i wouldn't know as its not my code ;)

also it'd be cool if there were multiple behaviour toggles. maybe like go to centre of map, or to proritise the upper route? or if it were advanced you could assign each soldat a number and then issue individual commands rather than per team....

surely mikey m has thought of this before? have you mr m sir?? was it a bit unfeasable?

VireX
September 26, 2005, 2:28 am
bots r useless, they should just be removed from the game completely

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 2:41 am
What would we do with Raptor and Mar77a then? Toss them in the trash? ;)
Personaly, I think orders would be more trouble than they are worth...

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 4:18 am
There's also the whole issue of who gives the orders. There'd have to be a team captain who can switch between bots and give commands, but can't actually enter combat.

In the end, this'd work best as a game mode like Realistic, Survival, or Advance... Maybe it can be called Command. It'd probably be popular in clan wars, although it wouldn't be seen as much on public servers... Starting a small 2-man server or something for your friend to connect to so you can both command armies of bots would be neat too, I guess.