( search forums )
What is considered a noob?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 2:39 am
Is a barretard/m79er a noob?

Is a spawner a noob?

Is a camper a noob?

Or is it just that because people get mad that their killed by some other person..?

I believe that people just get mad/jealous, is this true?

Today I was playing, and I made a nice curved hit with m79 to some other player. He called me an m79 noob. But didnt he just get owned? I mean... if hes so good, shouldnt he had killed me first? Kinda silly.

mar77a
September 25, 2005, 3:39 am
Well, I am sorry, but you posted in the wrong forum. Regarding the topic, "n00b" is teh """""cool""""" way of writing "noob", which is a shortened version of "newbie" which means "New starter" or "Begginner". So, you (or we?) associate "n00b" with players that do things a begginner would do. Please correct me.

Yukwunhang
September 25, 2005, 3:56 am
This might help.

Silent Soldier
September 25, 2005, 8:44 am
Hmph, someone called me a noob and I said that I'm not because for a few years experience (so I can't be a newbie :P) and he said that "noob/n00b" and "newb" aren't the same thing. Ehh..?

numgun
September 25, 2005, 11:05 am
quote:Originally posted by DrivenUnderIs a barretard/m79er a noob?

Is a spawner a noob?

Is a camper a noob?

Or is it just that because people get mad that their killed by some other person..?

Today I was playing, and I made a nice curved hit with m79 to some other player. He called me an m79 noob. But didnt he just get owned? I mean... if hes so good, shouldnt he had killed me first? Kinda silly.

Jelous? yes indeed!
i myself am a barret user and i'm not a camping one, i like to run and shoot with it. (off course camping is also fun some times : P)
and often when i meet a noob and i keep pwning him he calls me noob and votes a kick on me. and sadly some times i get actually get banned from the server and that just sucks!

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 12:22 pm
one say me n00b because i camped i time he was jelous

lastpatriot
September 25, 2005, 12:49 pm
Look, it's just a name they use when they're pissed.

blackdevil0742
September 25, 2005, 1:17 pm
I don't understand why ppl say n00b or other bad words in a game... I just don't get it. When I get killed and get mad I only curse loudly in front of the computer but never type it in the game. What's the point? You only make other ppl to think that you are stupid and 10y old.

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 1:58 pm
Lol, helps yukwunghan ;)

_Mancer_
September 25, 2005, 4:02 pm
Prone in mid air to dodge bullets (also known as worming) = noob

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 4:47 pm
Well WTF are we supposed to do? Let the most powerful bullets hit us? GREAT IDEA!

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 5:12 pm
Yes, ill just run into them, im sure it will be OK. xD

EDIT: Do you guys think m79 boosting is noobish?

_Mancer_
September 25, 2005, 6:11 pm
There ARE ways to dodge it without worming...

a noob wouldnt know that XD

Kazuki
September 25, 2005, 7:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_Prone in mid air to dodge bullets (also known as worming) = noob

Me = n00b ^_^

I can't really say what I think the word noob means. I never use it myself. I know that newb means newbie, but its supposedly completely different from noob. Either way, I have different adjectives in my head for certain people. People who say noob = noob. Except not.

tRaQs
September 25, 2005, 7:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by DrivenUnderYes, ill just run into them, im sure it will be OK. xD

EDIT: Do you guys think m79 boosting is noobish?

Of course.

and worming isn't noobish imo, it's a good dodge when pulled off quickly, plus, you make yourself an immobile target for precious seconds where someone else could shoot you, and youre also a wider target when being shot at from above.

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 7:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_There ARE ways to dodge it without worming...

a noob wouldnt know that XD

Yeah, Mancer is right, why should one do it the easy way when there are so many harder ways, where one can fully enjoy all the obstacles!

C'mon.. there is a way to kill players without firing bullets / throwing knives - using one's fists! Let me guess then, using weapons = noob, harhar!

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 7:25 pm
A newb is a new player. A noob is an idiot. Noobness is defined by your speech, whereas newbness is defined by your play.

Dark_Noddy
September 25, 2005, 7:56 pm
a n00b is a retard who whines about things he do himself and U dont do :P

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 8:20 pm
A noob is generally any player whose sole intention is to aggravate other players.

Aquarius
September 25, 2005, 8:24 pm
A n00b is someone who can't dodge M79 shots and whine about M79ers.

i am ahab
September 25, 2005, 8:46 pm
christ this is easy. i'm not even going to read everyone else's responces.

a 'n00b' is a fabricated word that insecure morons use to vent their frustration when they do not get things their own way.

they often try to insinuate that the person who they are aiming their abuse at is retarded or doesn't know what they're doing. often, this can be the case, however the actual use of the word indicates that it is the person who said it who has the problem. not the other way round.

its' use is an attempt at being 'leet', itself an abused term. as originality is rare in this world and people try to hop on bandwagons to grasp at a sense of belonging; such that the 'pwner' is in fact nothing more that slightly above average, or having a good game.

GAMEOVER
September 25, 2005, 9:36 pm

Is a spawner a noob?

Is a camper a noob?

This post makes you a n00b xD

TheRelinquished
September 25, 2005, 9:43 pm
See the real trick is that n00bs don't actually exist. The word "n00b" simply has no meaning anymore because it's been taken so far out of context. It used to mean someone who was actually new to the game who didn't know much about it. But now it's some overglorified insult that people will use against anyone who they're angry/annoyed with. It's ludicrous, I say.

It's all just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

"Wrong! You're a rebel without a clue!"

~TheRelinquished

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 9:57 pm
Whoever made up the word "noob" should rot in hell. Most retarded word ever.

The Geologist
September 25, 2005, 10:59 pm
^^ A noob is someone who makes an "I'm quitting Soldat" topic every time a new version is released or they find something that makes then not happy :(

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 11:02 pm
Hum, a noob is someone who says they can own you in 1v1 then pussy out of it..

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 11:13 pm
Hmm, well a noob is...Uh...well...

You know the times when I'm in a bad mood? Yep that's pretty much what a noob is like.

Michal
September 25, 2005, 11:19 pm
A noob/n00b is a person who calls someone else a noob/n00b.

a-4-year-old
September 26, 2005, 12:17 am
noob:
-1-somone that is new to what they are doing at the time they are called a noob EXP: i iS A nOob aT SpEalIg (aka jebus hunter) meaning i am new at spelling
-2-a person whith little or no skill at what they are doing at the time they are called a noob EXP: nO i CaN sPeaL GooDeR ThaN U U tEh NoOb!11!!!1!!1!!!1!!!!!1
-3-an insult used to annoy a person who really does have skill at what they are doing at the time they are called a noob EXP: Geologist you suck you are such a noob you have 1394 posts i have a total of five (sorry about the example, you know its not true :) )
-4-an imiture (for lack of a better word) tard who seemingly never shuts up EXP: [yourself]omg barretard camper!!!!!1!11!!1!!1!1!111!
[a-4-year-old]im using ruger dumbass
*vote kick*
*vote kick back*
Major has been voted to leave the game
nOOb:
see noob
newbie:
same (Please refrain from swearing)ing thing as a noob and nOOb

Elephant_Hunter
September 26, 2005, 12:47 am
quote:Originally posted by AquariusA n00b is someone who can't dodge M79 shots and whine about M79ers.

Totally agree :D

I love Opera now. It's all your fault.

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 1:27 am
Hrm. 'n00b' eh?

By my definition, a noob is a term used by players. frustrated to the point, that insulting the other player as a noob is their only way to not get pissed.

You can call me a noob, I dont care. I dont say noob or newb or any other variation as often as I did, im making progress. Instead ill just say lame, because in reality how lame is it like (Example:)*swooshes in, hits a guy with 2 ruger shots, flys down and knives a guy incoming, reloads and takes out 2 more guys and runs for a health kit and reheals, captures the flag and fli - *BANG* A newbie kills you with a barret*

The fact the newbie was using a barret was most likely the only way you could of ever died. m79 he still could of had a chance. You can never see it coming either. Unfortanately, a newbie can unload 1 bullet faster than you can unload 3-4 bullets. Now if you were facing some one without a barret or m79, you could just fly in and take them out, or die if they're better. The thing about the 1 hit kill primary's is that unlike any other gun, newbies have about a 75% better chance of killing you.

Now, if im killed by a good player using an m79 or barret, ill consider them good if thats not their only skillful weapon. Lets say a pro is running around with a barret, never misses a shot, dies and switches to another weapon. Barrets ill accept when they're not overused, or used by everyone in the damn, effing game.

My distorted definition of a noob is someone with skill focused in 1 shot kill guns. If they can use other guns proficiently, then they're good. If they use only 1 constantly, and whorishly, they're a (Please refrain from swearing). If thats all they can use, they're a noob. If anyone says i (Please refrain from swearing) a gun such as a ruger or minimi, they can pick another weapon for me to use, because im confident my proficiency in every weapon will still own them. If not, then I have to practice that weapon some more, only to be called a (Please refrain from swearing) once again and out do them with another....

Anyways, call me a noob, i expect everyone to make controversial points to my opinions, so by all means go ahead, these will forever be my opinions, just as the following above is yours.

LazehBoi
September 26, 2005, 1:35 am
I stopped caring about people using whatever weapon ages ago. That isn't to say I don't think less of the trend(Please refrain from swearing)s that jump from the 'Weapon Flavour of the Month' to the next, it's just a lot easier that way. After all, versions come and go, as do overpowered weapons.

quote:Originally posted by MichalA noob/n00b is a person who calls someone else a noob/n00b.

You are profound, good sir. Pretty much the same way I think.

silly Suasag3
September 26, 2005, 2:08 am
a noob/n00b is me

Elephant_Hunter
September 26, 2005, 2:18 am
Aren't we all, Suasag3, aren't we all...

Meh, we need a noobs anonymous group.

TheRelinquished
September 26, 2005, 3:32 am
Oh, Extacide. Will you ever make piece with that lovable-hatable tube of death we call the Barret?

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 3:49 am
As has been said before, "noobs" are people who actually use the term "noob". And yeah, I don't get why people say it, or really any kind of derogatory language. When I make like a sailor, it's because I mean it.

That being said, I do have criteria that separates "novice," "average," and "experienced" players. In fact, it's kind of a theory of mine regarding the evolution of a player's "status" as a player in Soldat:

Novice players use instakill weapons exclusively, regardless of map, opponents, whatever. They are constants, a coefficient in a function that has no variables. My theory regarding the majority of these players is that they believe the "best" weapons overall are the ones that kill in one shot, simply because everything else takes more than one shot (and thus must be better by default), and/or they lack the creativity and sensibility to identify a situation as being better handled with a different weapon. Since they don't know any better, they generally keep on using their one choice over, and over, and over.
This happens to many, many players (especially casual ones, most likely), and once the numbers swell large enough, you end up with them comprising the majority of the population in many public servers. This ultimately creates a gameplay nightmare that consists of players rarely accomplishing more than spawning, firing one or two shots (that don't necessarily hit, of course), and then being killed in one hit, only to respawn and repeat the process. The process often doesn't take as long as ten seconds to cycle through. This is what I consider to be the Instakiller Loop that is the bane of Soldat. Thus, while generally not a real threat to higher level players when encountered alone, in numbers Novice players are capable of effectively ruining the gameplay experience through the Instakiller Loop.
Beginners at Soldat typically start at this level (myself included), and so the number of people entering this level generally exceeds the number of people ascending to the next step.

Average players are those who come to realize for themselves that, in one way or another, the Novice style of play is an inferior way to play the game; I myself graduated to this level when I realized I was trapped in the Instakiller Loop. It is at this point that the player starts to experiment with the other weapons, until they become accustomed enough to one of them to use it with some accuracy; not as easily done as said, considering the exclusiveness of weapons in the Novice level means that they are not accustomed to using the autos or other non-instakillers. However, although the scope of the weaponry utilized by the player widens, it is not by a truly considerable amount; the habit of exclusively working with one gun almost all the time still remains, but the instakilling factor has been removed, effectively ending the player's contribution to the Instakiller Loop. I myself used the ruger almost exclusively when I was at this level.

Experienced players are those who personally come to realize and accept the idea that no weapon is truly suitable to be used exclusively. At this point, the player begins experimenting again, this time taking note of what maps and situations are best for certain weapons when combined with their personal style of play. Embracing all the weapons, the Experienced player becomes far more versatile and dynamic than than players in lower levels, making them generally better players overall.
However, this does not mean that the Experienced player is a "pro" or "leet" soldat. Due to the very wide scope of weaponry used, in addition to varying play styles and overall amount of time spent playing and how it is played (clan member or not, casual or hardcore, etc), the range in skill among Experienced players can vary greatly. I consider myself to be at this level.

It is by these criteria and these alone that I categorize players by. Camping (which I happen to condone) and other strategies/tactics that are considered controversial have nothing to do with it.
Lastly, my theory is one I constructed from my personal experiences as a soldat player, which consists of playing entirely on public servers, and going as far back as when the USSOCOM was the only secondary (whatever that version number was).

Finally, if you actually read all of that, I sincerely thank you for putting forth the time to do so. This thing took me around an hour to type up and revise to my liking, so along with my thanks you can at least be assured that you didn't waste as much time on it as I did.

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 5:20 am
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaAs has been said before, "noobs" are people who actually use the term "noob". And yeah, I don't get why people say it, or really any kind of derogatory language. When I make like a sailor, it's because I mean it.

That being said, I do have criteria that separates "novice," "average," and "experienced" players. In fact, it's kind of a theory of mine regarding the evolution of a player's "status" as a player in Soldat:

Novice players use instakill weapons exclusively, regardless of map, opponents, whatever. They are constants, a coefficient in a function that has no variables. My theory regarding the majority of these players is that they believe the "best" weapons overall are the ones that kill in one shot, simply because everything else takes more than one shot (and thus must be better by default), and/or they lack the creativity and sensibility to identify a situation as being better handled with a different weapon. Since they don't know any better, they generally keep on using their one choice over, and over, and over.
This happens to many, many players (especially casual ones, most likely), and once the numbers swell large enough, you end up with them comprising the majority of the population in many public servers. This ultimately creates a gameplay nightmare that consists of players rarely accomplishing more than spawning, firing one or two shots (that don't necessarily hit, of course), and then being killed in one hit, only to respawn and repeat the process. The process often doesn't take as long as ten seconds to cycle through. This is what I consider to be the Instakiller Loop that is the bane of Soldat. Thus, while generally not a real threat to higher level players when encountered alone, in numbers Novice players are capable of effectively ruining the gameplay experience through the Instakiller Loop.
Beginners at Soldat typically start at this level (myself included), and so the number of people entering this level generally exceeds the number of people ascending to the next step.

Average players are those who come to realize for themselves that, in one way or another, the Novice style of play is an inferior way to play the game; I myself graduated to this level when I realized I was trapped in the Instakiller Loop. It is at this point that the player starts to experiment with the other weapons, until they become accustomed enough to one of them to use it with some accuracy; not as easily done as said, considering the exclusiveness of weapons in the Novice level means that they are not accustomed to using the autos or other non-instakillers. However, although the scope of the weaponry utilized by the player widens, it is not by a truly considerable amount; the habit of exclusively working with one gun almost all the time still remains, but the instakilling factor has been removed, effectively ending the player's contribution to the Instakiller Loop. I myself used the ruger almost exclusively when I was at this level.

Experienced players are those who personally come to realize and accept the idea that no weapon is truly suitable to be used exclusively. At this point, the player begins experimenting again, this time taking note of what maps and situations are best for certain weapons when combined with their personal style of play. Embracing all the weapons, the Experienced player becomes far more versatile and dynamic than than players in lower levels, making them generally better players overall.
However, this does not mean that the Experienced player is a "pro" or "leet" soldat. Due to the very wide scope of weaponry used, in addition to varying play styles and overall amount of time spent playing and how it is played (clan member or not, casual or hardcore, etc), the range in skill among Experienced players can vary greatly. I consider myself to be at this level.

It is by these criteria and these alone that I categorize players by. Camping (which I happen to condone) and other strategies/tactics that are considered controversial have nothing to do with it.
Lastly, my theory is one I constructed from my personal experiences as a soldat player, which consists of playing entirely on public servers, and going as far back as when the USSOCOM was the only secondary (whatever that version number was).

Finally, if you actually read all of that, I sincerely thank you for putting forth the time to do so. This thing took me around an hour to type up and revise to my liking, so along with my thanks you can at least be assured that you didn't waste as much time on it as I did.

Well, you just about nailed my history on the head. Although, when I used barret, I was told before I ever even started playing not to camp, which I didnt. I used barret as an assault in combination of LAW. I have to admit, thats (Please refrain from swearing)ing hard to win dm's with a barret lol.

The @venger
September 26, 2005, 11:21 am
a noob is a person who hack.
a noob is a person that pointlessly whines.
a noob is a person that cant use any of the weapons efficiently.
a noob is a person who call people for (insert weapon)tard.
a noob is a person who is being an asshat all the time or almost all the time.

Boxo
September 26, 2005, 1:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalA noob/n00b is a person who calls someone else a noob/n00b.

Amen to that, brother.

Scooter_X
September 26, 2005, 6:02 pm
quote:In an effort to reduce a huge quote:
What YoMammasMamma said.

A work of art. You nailed it.

Keron Cyst
September 26, 2005, 6:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Scooter_X... quote:In an effort to reduce a huge quote:
What YoMammasMamma said....

If that is true then I have never been a "novice player." I in fact started using one-hit-kill weapons more since 1.3 than when I first played Soldat, in which I always used the Steyr.

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 6:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaAs has been said before, "noobs" are people who actually use the term "noob". And yeah, I don't get why people say it, or really any kind of derogatory language. When I make like a sailor, it's because I mean it.

I think that's exactly right.
But in this new version it's pointless to learn a secondary primary other than a 1shot. Because now: Auto's take skill, deagles are nearly worse than socom. Only unchanged usage is ruger and 1shots..
Spas owns though. close(r) range.
and oneshots are the only absolutely unchanged.

TheRelinquished
September 27, 2005, 3:27 am
I like what YoMammasMamma has to say about player levels, and I think that on the whole, that is entirely true. Though for myself I think my novice and average levels were reversed. I actually started out as a religious shotgun user, then evolved into a deadly camper, then realized that barret had a good running game, and then really began to experiment. Funny enough, I ended up back at the shotgun with the knife as a secondary. But I did manage to reach the versatility level of an experienced player in the mean time. ^_^

Excellent work Yo.

~TheRelinquished

Kazuki
September 27, 2005, 4:49 am
Actually, I'm not quite sure if what YoMammasMamma said applies to everyone. In no way do I I disagree with it. I want to agree, but no matter how hard I try, I don't remember using one-hit-kill weapons for more than 5 deaths in a row. When I first started out, I had a very hard time with the physics and layout of the game. The least of my concerns were the weapons. I just kind of tried different weapons. None of them worked very well because I couldn't navigate around the terrain well at all. I never got the idea of "Wow, this weapon makes me play better" in my head. However, at first I chose the HK MP5. This was during early 1.1.5. I spent about a month or so with the HK MP5.

At about that time Hiei and I created a clan of our own and I started using Desert Eagles, just because I wanted a change. After about 3 clanwars in the clan, we disbanded due to inactivity and ... sucking. XD Funny thing is that by that time I already had somewhat a reputation. As soon as I went into a pub without my tag on, I was offered a spot on .Phoenix, which became [PC] later that day. Anybody from that era in Soldat probably remembers the glory of PC. ;)

Main point is: I never really stuck with one-shot-weapons, with exception to the knife ( I still use it now ). I had different tastes. :P

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 5:30 am

Is a spawner a noob?

Is a camper a noob?

i beleave some one that is un-sportsman like is noob
so most of the time ppl calling other ppl a noob is the real noob

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 8:29 am
quote:Originally posted by ZamorakA noob is generally any player whose sole intention is to aggravate other players.

That would make a lot of kids in SL noobs.
Oh wait... most of them are... never mind.

GAMEOVER
September 27, 2005, 1:09 pm
quote:

That would make a lot of kids in SL noobs.
Oh wait... most of them are... never mind.

Yeah all the "SL noobs" will destroy you in a DM no doubt about it but your too weak to even attempt it when called out, I hand you your ass every time I see you in every game so then you "attempt" to make what you "think" are insults get some skills and stop whining. As far as the kid thing goes have you even hit puberty yet? I OWN my own place have a beautiful woman and son, am independant on my own at 22, and have been for a few years. Hows living with mommy treatin ya? She still wash your whitey tightys for ya? Be sure to take your vitamins little boy.

TheFunktopus
September 27, 2005, 1:32 pm
Haha, feel the anger!

I've alway believed that a noob is someone who is new and not willing to accept help from experienced players, and a newbie is someone who is new and is open to help. I never call people who overuse certain weapons "noobs".

MOFO NOFO
September 28, 2005, 8:17 pm
I agree with funktopus.

UGK
September 29, 2005, 5:19 am
quote:Originally posted by TheFunktopusHaha, feel the anger!

I've alway believed that a noob is someone who is new and not willing to accept help from experienced players, and a newbie is someone who is new and is open to help. I never call people who overuse certain weapons "noobs".

Yeah like I kill people with barrets and they call me a noob. But when the kill me alot of times I jsut say NS when the do a good shot. I know that some people consider me a noob, but i just don't call anyone noobs unless they are cocky and piss me off.