( search forums )
Mapping contest II - inf on ice - Deadline: Nov. 6
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
DeMonIc
September 25, 2005, 7:28 pm
I remember Vijch starting one in February this year, so I believe it's time for another one, since we have loads of new young mappers :)

Rules are based on Vij's, but I slightly edited them so the flow is better.

Here's how it will work
1. Anybody can enter the contest - there isn't any sign up, you don't even have to post here (though it would be nice to see how many people are interested in participating for the first time).

2. Every two weeks, a new theme will be selected that the contestants will make a map to.

3. The maps must either be made within the time period, or have already been started when the topic was chosen. Please don't submit any maps that you have already created, even if you haven't posted them anywhere else.

4. They will submit either before or on the deadline or they won't be counted (it'll be fairly flexible to be fair to different timezones).

5. The maps will have to be of a specific mode that will be selected like the map theme.

6. Then, by popular vote, we will choose the winner and crown him victorious over all mappers in the contest.

6/b. The voting will be as follows: people will have to rate maps by their looks, loyalty to the theme and gameplay on a 1-5 scale (5 being the best and 1 being the worst.). Rates such as 4.2 will not be accepted.

The first theme will be posted before/on Friday. Please post in this thread if you are interested in entering the contest.

EDIT 1: Slightly toned the rules again. Made it less democratic, but it's for your good, trust me :)

EDIT 2: First round details:

- Infiltration
- Theme is: icelands. Antarctica, tundra, summit of mountains. You get the picture ;)

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 7:34 pm
All though it's been a while as i made a map,
but hey what's a better apportunity to start mapping again
than a contest!

Count me in.

The Geologist
September 25, 2005, 8:06 pm
I'm so in. >:o

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 8:13 pm
I'm in!

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 8:39 pm
I'm in... =/

a-4-year-old
September 25, 2005, 8:58 pm
ill lose but whatever im in :/
edit: when do we start?

Deleted User
September 25, 2005, 9:47 pm
Did you just try to copy the text written by other members,
or did you read the 1st post.
In case you did the second you must know the facts...

i am ahab
September 25, 2005, 10:37 pm
lol ive never even opened the mapping things.

in the interest of science i hereby declare that i shall enter myself into the compatition! yaysors!

i shall refrain from even downloading a map editor until the map contest starts!

and i may even make a topic detailing my day by day trials and tribulations. which i also believe is called a blog. which are things that i thought that other people wrote.

ah well it may be interesting to see how easy it can be to start mapping from scratch.... would anyone read prey tell?

papasurf31
September 25, 2005, 11:37 pm
In, but i don't expect to win. I don't really have much time for soldat anymore :(

mar77a
September 26, 2005, 1:34 am
What about waypoints?

Boxo
September 26, 2005, 1:32 pm
Ah, nifty. I haven't been making maps lately, maybe this'll give me some motivation. I'm in.

Keron Cyst
September 26, 2005, 3:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31In, but i don't expect to win. I don't really have much time for soldat anymore :(

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 4:05 pm
Houh, I'm in too even though my mapping is slow. Looking forward to making a ... 20 texture map ? [xD]

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 4:17 pm
Well usally it isn't 'conditions' on the map like 20 texture!

it can be a theme like.. 'jungle' ..'hell' or even 'Toilet' :D

Keron Cyst
September 26, 2005, 6:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by i am ahab... it may be interesting to see how easy it can be to start mapping from scratch.... would anyone read prey tell?
Tell what? How easy it can be to start mapping from scratch? It depends mainly on how much free time you have and how well you are with experimentation of everything the program can do.

Deleted User
September 26, 2005, 7:06 pm
Uhm, i want to know what about the waypoints etc... but i'm in :P

DeMonIc
September 26, 2005, 7:38 pm
Waypoints are not needed.

Note: I'll post the first theme/mode this Wednesday. (28th!)

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 3:26 pm
so when does it end?
(i need to know how much time i have)

DeMonIc
October 4, 2005, 4:19 pm
On the 12th of October. A round is 2 weeks long.

EDIT: I fail at maths.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 6:25 pm
....Sry i don't have too much time for mapping :S

i maybe join another time..

Unlucky 13
October 5, 2005, 6:40 am
Do you have to be in the first round to be in the second round? 'Cause I'd like to try a hand at mapping, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

DeMonIc
October 5, 2005, 5:38 pm
No, ofcourse not. But there won't be a second round without a first one :P If maps aren't submitted till the deadline, the theme stays for 2 more weeks.

Pyroguy
October 6, 2005, 8:14 pm
Only got 1 week but hey why not. Count me in.

Deleted User
October 28, 2005, 10:34 pm
Where is the 2nd contest??!!

DeMonIc
October 28, 2005, 10:35 pm
Since no maps got entered for the first one, why would I expect the community to enter maps for the second?

The Geologist
October 28, 2005, 10:42 pm
lol..sorry. I actually have a map for this but the past few weeks have been a b*tch in terms of classes. Still, one map isn't much better...

Cookie.
October 28, 2005, 10:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcSince no maps got entered for the first one, why would I expect the community to enter maps for the second?

Because Cookie missed the first one :'(

Deleted User
October 29, 2005, 4:53 am
Ok lemme download a mapmaker, gimme another day or two.

DeMonIc
October 29, 2005, 10:07 am
I'll be away for a few days, so let's say the new deadline is November 6th.

grand_diablo
October 29, 2005, 9:17 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=28783

inf_Messner, here we go :P

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 5:19 am
If you make it more official, and have a larger deadline, people will come

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 5:32 am
I'll enter the next round. I'm in Australia on holiday at the moment ;)

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 6:05 am
I'll see if I can do it tonight.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 6:57 am
I've made my map, now i've just got to test, upload and get screenshots (it would help if I knew how to do the big ones).

rabidhamster
October 31, 2005, 10:28 am
dooble post.

sounds interesting, i'm in. the only problem is that i can never do things on time. for example, a history project is due in about 9 hours, and i haven't even started.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 12:14 pm
Maps don't take long. I started today, and I don't feel like repeating myself.

rabidhamster
October 31, 2005, 9:18 pm
mine usually take 3-16 hours to make, and they almost always suck.

Deleted User
October 31, 2005, 10:22 pm
It took me less than 2 hours of work, less than 24 hours (I had to go to bed). Here is Inf Penguin: http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=28874 :).
So is it actually a contest or just a thing to get us to make a map?

The Geologist
November 1, 2005, 8:52 pm
Here is my entry to the contest, inf_Iceberg:

Overview
Download

Edit: Updated post.

This is my entry to the contest: inf_Iceberg.

Now waypointed, thanks to Keron! Rock on man.

Keron Cyst
November 2, 2005, 5:48 pm
I'll wypt. that, 'Geologist! I already have rainrider's inf_Shrehu practically done; I just need to test the wypts. in-game, and the new jet strength on inf_Messner and I'll get all those released no later than Saturday.

Wow, I'm actually part of something major at the forums now... xP

rainrider
November 2, 2005, 6:19 pm
Keron: we all [ppl needing waypoints] love you :* :D

Keron Cyst
November 2, 2005, 6:24 pm
It's all taking time away from my Null Soldat Mod. I haven't touched it ever since I've been wypting ;-| It'll displease that one guy who hates all the modern weapons mods (forgot your name dude, sorry)!...

@rainrider: I spruced up the map. I added crates on the surface around Alpha spawns (with the 3D shadow in your style), one or two more crates in the Bravo spawn, a support collumn for the left Bravo flag spawn, and I revised some spawn point locations. I hope that's all right with ya...

EDIT I also laid a strip of grass with those two lone trees; kinda looks weird without any other vegetation. And I think I put some more roots.BMP in a corner of the darker areas. I'm not new to mapping; I know how maps work. It's just the polygon colors, texture, and shading that screw me up.

So if anyone wants general map-1337izing I'm also here :-D

The Geologist
November 2, 2005, 7:19 pm
I'd appreciate teh waypoints Keron. I was going to try and do it myself, but I might not have enough time before the deadline. I'll post the DL link up here today or send you a copy of the map to work from.

Soulsnipa
November 2, 2005, 9:53 pm
ill be submitting a map wait for me!

Keron Cyst
November 3, 2005, 3:33 pm
@The Geologist: just PM meh.

So I take it, DeMonIc, the deadline can't be stretched any further?... :-/

DeMonIc
November 3, 2005, 4:04 pm
Maps are coming in nicely I see.

Further? It's already been extended once, how much time do you guys want/need?

Soulsnipa
November 3, 2005, 4:17 pm
well i just figured out that its inf and not any type of map. Therefore I'm back to the drawing board...but no worries, i can pump out a good map in less than a day if i hurry.

The Geologist
November 3, 2005, 5:01 pm
It's only the third...if it takes you less than a day why should it be extended.

Soulsnipa
November 3, 2005, 5:02 pm
did i say to extend it, i just said to wait for me. I didnt really mean it sincerely. Why are you scared?

The Geologist
November 3, 2005, 5:19 pm
Responding to you and Keron, and I have no reason to be scared of anything you have to offer. If you can make a map before the deadline, let's see it. More competition the better.

.Loki
November 5, 2005, 1:53 am
Oh my god! Only 2 days left, and I just found out there was a contest today >.<. Lol, I'll do my best ;). Never made an Ice-themed map, or an inf map for that matter.

BTW, any prizes other than bragging rights?

DeMonIc
November 5, 2005, 9:51 am
I'll advertise the map on IRC, stuff like that. Maybe it'll even get hosted, who knows? ;)

Soulsnipa
November 5, 2005, 11:01 am
idono if mines going to happen, ill wait for the second contest i guess.

Keron Cyst
November 5, 2005, 3:15 pm
What? Oh, I meant buying time to waypoint xD But I'm almost done, at least for my part. I'll PM you the best I was able to do. You can go expand on that if even that's possible to do, I guess...

EDIT Done. Check your PMs Inbox.

The Geologist
November 5, 2005, 6:30 pm
Rock on Keron, j00 rules zee waypoints.

DeMonIc
November 5, 2005, 7:22 pm
I'll make a vote topic with the candidate maps tomorrow in the late afternoon (reasonable time). Try and not make any last-minute entries please.

rainrider
November 6, 2005, 12:32 pm
Here it is, http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=28878

DeMonIc
November 6, 2005, 12:38 pm
Can you make an independent topic for it? Just to make my job easier.

rainrider
November 6, 2005, 12:54 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29061 :*

Keron Cyst
November 6, 2005, 5:01 pm
It's gonna be a public voting? No group of 1337 judges?...

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 12:37 am
so whats the next contest!?!?!?!?!?!!? i wanna try to map again even tho i suck sum serious ass

The Geologist
November 8, 2005, 1:40 am
This round of the contest has to end first. Just wait.

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 10:25 am
Hasn't it already ended?

The Geologist
November 8, 2005, 6:02 pm
Voting doesn't end until Friday. When the votes are in and the counting is done, then the winner of this round will be announced in addition to the new theme and deadline.

Deleted User
November 8, 2005, 11:48 pm
Cool

Deleted User
November 9, 2005, 12:21 am
i got it.....dammit i can't wait

OutofOrder
November 12, 2005, 10:16 pm
a bunch of doubts..
so where did (is this thru already?) voting take place? was there a thread made for this? how do you judge gameplay: by the looks, by trying it out? if you judge gameplay by trial, shouldn't that be done with enough players?
thanks for the answers, even if this has finished already :0

The Geologist
November 12, 2005, 10:21 pm
Since I took over this contest and I cannot edit the title of Demonics topic, I started one in the General discussions section. Pay attention to the general discussions topics? You'll find all of your answers in there. Maps were judged by three criteria 1) looks, 2) gameplay, and 3) overall appeal, and ordered depending on the number of contestants. A rank of 1-4 (if four maps were in the comptition) was used, with 1 being the best and 4 being the worst, and in the end the map with the lowest number of votes is the winner.

There is a second round of competition going on now, just began today, which ends in two weeks time.

Edit: Can a mod please lock this topic? Once again, I cannot change Demonics topic title, and this topic seems to be confusing people a bit.