( search forums )
ASE vs Lobby
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Exile
February 18, 2003, 11:27 pm
Due to popular request from the local users trying to keep my servers a Gringo Free Zone?, I removed my servers from the lobby. However, doing that, I seem to lose support for ASE.

I verified the soldat.ini file and the line ASE had a value of 1 which I assume means activate.

I tested this by registering the servers in the lobby and the servers show up in ASE right away. I disable the lobby and the servers dispear from ASE.

I guess for now it's a situation of register all or register nothing unless I'm missing something.

DNA.styx
February 18, 2003, 11:54 pm
yup, I'm getting the same.

TRSSam
February 21, 2003, 7:44 pm
Don't forget that ASE is shareware (you have to register after 21 days), while lobby is free.

DNA.styx
February 21, 2003, 8:46 pm
You're very protective of your wee lobby huh, TRSSam [:P]

I've got a script that can email you if it goes down if you're interested? (it's built into the one that displays the number of servers and players on the Forum Portal page)

Exile
February 22, 2003, 1:55 pm
The big advantage to ASE and why it is extremely popular outside of the USA is the ability to filter servers by region. Using ASE, Yanks are much less likely to join my Chilean servers and the Chileans don't have to wade through hundreds of servers located thousands of miles away. Until Soldat incorporates a Ping Limit on Logon, the lobby only cuases problems for me.

I personally don't like ASE. Servers appear arbitrarily, it likes to disconnect me from my LAN when I click refresh, etc. Also, I shudder when I think of 10,000 people pressing refresh and sending massive pings to my servers. Can you say, "Denial of Service Attack"?

sanity
February 23, 2003, 6:51 am
TRSSam: can i bribe you to make the lobby server 1.05b compatible? :P

that fuking sniper
February 23, 2003, 6:54 am
Ummm, I'v been looking all over for ASE but I cant seem to find it, and NWA site has a wrong url for the download, can enyone tell me of a site from which I can download it?

DNA.styx
February 23, 2003, 9:26 am
First link

that fuking sniper
February 23, 2003, 10:38 am
Thx