( search forums )
DM/INF Epic-Lake Town, beta version
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Hedg
September 27, 2005, 2:44 am
HEY THIS IS MY FIRST MAP SOM1 WAYPONT IT!!
Ok, now that I've established a first impression, I'm Big Shwag on Soldat and this is my first map(the first that I actually knew what I was doing, anyways), it's part of a much bigger party map(to be named Epic, but I might change that). I originally planned to have the entire large map to be the sole release, but then I realized that if a noob noobed in and noobed a minigun everywhere, it would cause massive ping. So, I decided to create it as 5 sections(maybe 4, 1 is kind of small), then release the bigass version. So this is the first. Keep in mind it's still in beta; I'll start refining it soon, smoothing out polygons, adding 1 or 2 alternate paths for INF, and some custom scenery(provided my friend ever gets his modem
working again).

Also, I've tried my hand at waypointing and even after a few tutorials, they still hate me, so could someone else do that for me? Also, again, I'm still looking for a waypointer for the final big daddy version.
Screenshots that show just how f'ed up the roll animations are-
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Download:[URL]

Note-Just in case you didn't know, to play as INF, type inf_ in front of the name of the map.

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 2:53 am
I didn't know noob was a verb?
Looks okay-ish I guess, have an overview?

vash763
September 27, 2005, 3:47 am
w00 lake town, i live there!

Looks a bit shadeless.

and harsh.

overview would be nice

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 3:52 am
Hmm it looks OK, but more can't be said without an overview.
A tad undershaded but ok.

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 6:20 am
OKEY?...bah it must be ages the noobs posted maps like these!

only + is...that he put some color on them

Silent Soldier
September 27, 2005, 1:41 pm
Eww! The colors are awful and don't with with the map. Try something better next time.

Raptor
September 27, 2005, 4:27 pm
The bgcolors make me blind.
Also I barely see shading in the map.

Deleted User
September 27, 2005, 4:39 pm
Thats cuz youre blind xD

vash763
September 27, 2005, 11:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Silent SoldierEww! The colors are awful and don't with with the map. Try something better next time.

thats all you ever say. "do it better"

Hedg
September 28, 2005, 2:46 am
I didn't put an overview up because it wouldn't all fit in the shot.
Also, remember it's in beta still; I'll be adding a lot more shading as well as seperate paths, more cover, and smoothing out the polygons.
And what are bgcolors?

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 3:51 am
BackGround clolours
Zoom out in Map Maker (Or whatever your using) and snap. Huzzah! Overview.

EDIT: Meh, I downloaded it. The ideas nice, and the scenery placement is pretty good (Apart from the building to the left which is pretty bare). But the polygon placement and shading could be a lot better :/

Keron Cyst
September 28, 2005, 6:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by HedgI didn't put an overview up because it wouldn't all fit in the shot....
Then just catch all the area that is most detailed...

GAMEOVER
September 28, 2005, 8:46 pm
Theres gotta be someway you can show the whole map overview cant you open it in polyworks or somethin and take a screen?

rabidhamster
September 28, 2005, 9:14 pm
is it me, or does that map not have a texture?

and hedg, to load it as infiltration, voici l'answer: start an inf match, then type in /map laketown or whatever it's called.

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 9:46 pm
He dosen't have polyworks!!! =O

I think u should scrap the project...give us an overwiev with polyworks so we can see if you should scrap it!

Polyworks is in the 'Fan apps' forum

Raptor
September 28, 2005, 10:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by RaptorThe bgcolors make me blind.
Also I barely see shading in the map.

WTF?
Look at a map with a black bgcolor and you'll see shading, but do the same with a white bgcolor and notice the difference xD

Hedg
September 28, 2005, 10:26 pm
quote:He dosen't have polyworks!!! =O

Oh god...*smacks forehead*
He's right. I don't think I'm cut out for the mapmaking part, but most of the people that have posted something constructive thought it was a decent idea/design. So I think I'll join in the map ideas forum from now on.

EDIT: Are there a bunch of inexplicable white squares when you guys play this map?

Keron Cyst
September 29, 2005, 12:33 am
I don't know; I can't play it (my comp. in short is busted).

White squares appear to replace third-party scenery that isn't in the Scenery-gfx folder. Did you put your own scenery in it? Include that in the download, then...

Deleted User
September 29, 2005, 6:46 am
well..he must have his own scenery in that folder..otherwise ha can't put out the scenery =O

Rambo_6
September 29, 2005, 1:47 pm
It looks like it took a while to do, but it doesn't really appeal to the eye. I suppose you could use some scenery tips, as well as some coloring ad poly layout tips.