( search forums )
How do you get people coming to your server
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 1:46 am
I have my server running often ((WM) Cool Mods) but nobody seems to come. It is dedicated, not passworded, no bots and weapons moded, but still nobody seems to come. How would I fix this?

- Tek -
September 28, 2005, 2:21 am
Usually people's WM's are so ridiculous there server is not playable or enjoyable.

Also I think there many be too many servers, its seems most server never go past 12 players, and they are usually with 5-8 people in them. That's not enough for CTF! Oh and for the other modes, its seems there's mostlyu just DM, the rest if also barren.

I just want Kine's San Jose 24 slot CTF back.

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 3:07 am
Occasionly people do come but when they do they seem to enjoy it. I nowadays allways play on my modded server and its heaps better. Is there a game type that seems to atract more people?

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 1:14 pm
Personally I run CTF WM server for 6/8 players with std maps.
At first not to many were coming, but people used to like the mod and server, so they started adding it to favs.
Now I have several regulars, and when there are some players on server, rest is more likely to join (empty WM server looks really bad on list).

WM has to be good. In other way people will leave fast and you'll have no regulars. Good bandwith is also important. Too bad that my upload is so poor. If you ahve bad upload as me, keep in mind that there's close to square porportion between number of players in game and upload used. So 8-player server will use close to twice bandwith of 6 players. 256kbit UL seem to limit number of players to max 8, with 6 comfortable.
So there's my suggestion of absolute max players in game, depending on upload:
<192kbit - no way to have acceptable server
192kbit - 6
256kbit - 6/8
384kbit - 8
512kbit - 10
768kbit - 12
1024kbit - 14/16
>1mbit - 16+

If you add custom maps, there might be problems with upload. Notice that on 1mbit you can have 1 16players game or 4 for 8 players, but one huge seems to be better.

Deleted User
September 28, 2005, 11:39 pm
Okay, I'm confused. My internet speed says 10.00mps. Its ADSL so what would that allow?

i am ahab
September 29, 2005, 9:58 am
according to venom:
quote:
>1mbit - 16+

so anything greater than 1 Mega bits / sec should be 16 or more players

you have 10 Mega bits / sec. go figure. by venoms slightly optimistic (IMO) scaling method you should be able to support...
(um an increase of 2 players every say... 256 gives...)
56 players o0

although lets be fair and note that you need a decent upstream as well as your isp's quoted downstream of 10mbps.

and that theres something that stops a server being set up with more than a certain limit of people....

if i were you. i'd run a 10 slot. see how that goes.

Deleted User
September 29, 2005, 6:51 pm
I have a 2.0~ mbs down.
I can get like 8 players and lag :/
It depends on your CPU usage, too.
If I am not playing soldat while my server is on, people report better pings.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 10:33 am
Zamorak - bandwith down isn't too important, more important is how much goes up, as in this direction you send way more data.
Then, if players have lag problems when you play, it looks rather like computer speed problem. What's your upload speed and CPU?

And that my calcus - it isn't too accurate, but it looks like you need upload of 4 * (number of players)^2 kbits for so-so gameplay, instead of 4, use multiplier of 5-6 for less lags / custom maps. It's based on what traffic I observed on network monitor.

hock3y
October 8, 2005, 6:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by DezonusOkay, I'm confused. My internet speed says 10.00mps. Its ADSL so what would that allow?

you need to figure out your upload, and if your upload is 10 mbs then you could probably host 32 players.

skatardude10
October 11, 2005, 11:09 pm
Hello everyone!

I am {CB}Dance! from the {CB}Ownage Spree server. I run a weapon mod, and have quite a few regulars. I would suggest making your weapon mod fun for everyone, and take in any advice that you get. So far, everyone that I ask, including the regulars, can't think of anything to make the server, or weapon mod better. Just work on it. Make sure you have a good connection with no lag- People love that.

-Dane Carder
{CB}Dance!

some_random_loser
October 16, 2005, 5:44 am
10/Mps seems a little high for ADSL :p
Maybe that's your LAN speed?

Anyway, I run a WM server in Australia ((WM) UrT Servizzle) with a six player limit, it usually takes about 4-5 minutes to completely fill. The mod is a realistic wep mod (ie, high damage, high speed bullets, every gun will pwn every other gun) and a low respawn time, so it's very fast paced.

If you have a mod that is very unbalanced, you are in a country with only a few players, you have a long respawn time, or your mod is just plain silly (omg mi Barret h45 0 r3l0ad 4nd 255 bullets!!11!!eleven ir t3h 1337 h4><0r!!1!222!), then you will get very few players.

XAVALOONX
October 19, 2005, 4:46 am
Some random loser i know this is off topic but how did u get the picture in your text box the one with the animated girl??

Deleted User
November 4, 2005, 9:53 pm
Well I was running a pretty laggy non dedicated server, and few people kept coming because of the EXPLOSION and ZOMBIE mod. It was laggy like hell, but everyone had fun. If you want a serious server, it has to have good ping, good wm or even better - no wm. Make a hold the flag server or something.

Algernon
November 15, 2005, 1:50 am
quote:Originally posted by - Tek -Usually people's WM's are so ridiculous there server is not playable or enjoyable.

Also I think there many be too many servers, its seems most server never go past 12 players, and they are usually with 5-8 people in them. That's not enough for CTF! Oh and for the other modes, its seems there's mostlyu just DM, the rest if also barren.

I just want Kine's San Jose 24 slot CTF back.

you used to play at kines? that was a good ol' server, at least 'till it lagged to hell and died. i found that hosting a non-dedicated server seems to attract more players. face it, what's more welcoming, a 0/20 or a 1/20, 2/20, 10/20 ect? also, the (WM)cool mod server always says "server is full" when it's 5/12. i think that's your problem.

i used to host a fairly popular 1.2.1 server, "Algernon's CTF". i've never really had a problem maxing out my server to 20 or more players. it seems like any fairly large non-dedicated CTF server will do fairly well if it has a decent ping.

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 2:16 am
Server is full??? I've never had more than 6 players/bots in my server.

Algernon
November 15, 2005, 2:41 am
that's what it says... 5/12 and "server is full". if it's not yours then it must be some other "cool mod" server. what is your max # of players ALLOWED and the most you've ever had in there? if the #s don't match then something is up becuse i know i have gotten "server is full" every time i've tried to join.

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 2:47 am
Mines 12. Try joining now. If it says server is full, I have no idea cause it's empty.

Algernon
November 15, 2005, 6:39 am
i'll join it here in a few (around 1:00am central US)

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 7:23 am
Ok, it's fired up.

Algernon
November 15, 2005, 10:20 am
is your server the RS deathmatch or the CTF? there's another server out there called cool modded weapons or something to that affect. if yours was/is the DM server then i can join no problem. i didn't stick around because:

a) i don't like DM

b) i don't like RS mode

also i got a ping of ??? from that server a few times. perhaps the RS mode and ??? ping are your problems?

Deleted User
November 15, 2005, 10:38 am
Its not realistic, and mines Cool Mods not Cool modded server

Algernon
November 16, 2005, 6:49 am
i went to a "cool mods" server and it was DM and RS mode. there was also a "cool moded weapons" CTF server and it is the server that says 5/12 "server is full". no offence, but i think you need a better server name, "cool mod ect" is waaay to generic IMO.

Deleted User
November 18, 2005, 6:21 am
It's a server with cool mods. But I supose, maybe Dezonus's Modded server. And it was in survival, but that was because I forgot to uncheck the box. And do you remember if some of the weapons had a custom name? If they did, thats good.

Vostok 4
November 18, 2005, 10:40 pm
I run a basic DM server, and it was down a while before but now its pretty packed again. Its a 21 slot server, its been up 1 day and already I wake up and there are 14-15 people on there hehe. It's low ping, dedicated server that doesn't go down, it has a stats website, and maybe people just like to deathmatch on a no BS server?

As long as you have good pings, try running a higher client amount because sometimes people want to join 2/20 more than 2/6 ?

Optik
February 3, 2006, 8:40 pm
first of all you need a unique name that people could rememebr easy if they ever wanted to come back
my server was down for liek a month and after i put it up ia had 6+ people within 5 mins because everyone knows it but of course i've been running my servers for years but you just need a good enjoyable server and try to play in it yourself and wait until people come no one wil lcome if it's empty so get it started and if people liek it they will just come

thekingkitty
March 6, 2006, 10:38 am
Weird thing is for my server is that is almost always full at certain times (full of korean dudes) of the day and barren at other times> If you want lots of people to get to your server, well DO NOT MAKE IT R/S thats for sure...

Swarmer
March 7, 2006, 4:35 am
 Quote:Originally posted by skatardude10Hello everyone!

I am {CB}Dance! from the {CB}Ownage Spree server. I run a weapon mod, and have quite a few regulars. I would suggest making your weapon mod fun for everyone, and take in any advice that you get. So far, everyone that I ask, including the regulars, can't think of anything to make the server, or weapon mod better. Just work on it. Make sure you have a good connection with no lag- People love that.

-Dane Carder
{CB}Dance!

omg I love Ownage Spree. I haven't played there in a while though. It's the mod where weapons are the same except extra ammo, and insanely fast firing rates, right? I love it. Minigun is the funnest: empties the whole clip in half a second, miss anyone far, rape anyone near, spend forever reloading.