( search forums )
Collectible additives for weaponry. ^_^
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
mooseproduce
September 30, 2005, 9:58 pm
That is to say, an item like a medkit or nade-box. When you pick it up it adds a secondary thing to your weapon. For instance, scopes, grenade launchers, etc. You could grab a scope for your Ruger, or a little grenade launcher attachment for your AK-74. Which leads into:

Weapon secondary attacks. The knife can be sliced or thrown, but other weapons should have secondary attacks too. Go play Perfect Dark, and imagine that in Soldat.

Koon
October 1, 2005, 12:21 am
I dont like the add-ons idea. Dont ask me why, I just dont.

Beren
October 1, 2005, 1:38 am
Um, I won't be surprised if there are very good reasons for why these ideas wouldn't work, but I do like both of them.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:47 am
Soldat is supposed to be a simple game, these just wouldn't work.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 5:40 am
And do we really need an ak-74/m79 or ruger/barret

a-4-year-old
October 1, 2005, 6:12 am
wtf m79 is a seprate gun why would you attach it (or have the ability to) make a gun into 2 guns + a secondary, can you say OVERPOWERED??

T-Money
October 1, 2005, 6:51 am
I think the idea is realism. The M-16 has its M203 mount, the AK-74 its GP30-GP35 mounts, etc. It's feasible but ti wouldn't work in game. Too complicated.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 11:08 am
A: Its a good idea, but the weapons balance would probably have to be worked out again. Also, it would make every weapon a insta-killer. I'd love a ruger with scope though...

B: I like this one, but I doubt it would work.

Meandor
October 1, 2005, 1:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by MuffinSoldat is supposed to be a simple game, these just wouldn't work.

Next person to say that gets a free post fine -_-

Alamo
October 1, 2005, 2:43 pm
Soldat is supposed to be a simple game, these just wouldn't work.

I actually really do like this idea. I'm not sure about which key to bind the sec. attack to, but that's quite cool.
You'd have to think about what to add to the other guns.
Here are my ideas:

Deagles - Hollow Point ammunition for a bigger punch
MP5 - maybe a round magazine, increasing your ammo
AK - gren launcher
Steyr - gren launcher (?) maybe something else
Spas 12 - again, 'better' ammunition, maybe glaser or so
Ruger - scope
Barrett - can't think of any, maybe a bipod which prevents bink when lying down
Minimi - belt fed => more ammunition (?)
Minigun - a gadget which enables you to schoot instantly without speed up time (motor or so)

Those were my ideas, they'd need a lot of tweaking, but I'd like to see something like this in Soldat.

Zegovia
October 1, 2005, 2:48 pm
I would suggest slugs for the spas in that case... :P

numgun
October 1, 2005, 3:29 pm
nice idea, but maybe it will not soldat unless... make more ideas for this!

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 3:51 pm
maybe good maybe bad i say anything

F3nyx
October 1, 2005, 10:15 pm
If these were pick-ups... NO. The gamescape would get far too cluttered with random little attachment crates.

If these were options which you could select in the Weapons menu... well, that wouldn't be so bad, but it would introduce an assload of balance issues.

Beren
October 1, 2005, 11:02 pm
Oh man, I'd get down with some shotgun slugs...As for the overpowered arguement, they don't call it a "powerup" for nothing. Being invisibile is after all a slight advantage over the opposition...

xtishereb
October 2, 2005, 2:12 am
It would be cool to have secondary firing for everything. Right now, only the knife has secondary fire (throw). Maybe it could be another power-up, and it gives you 1 round of a special ammunition:

Deagles: Hollow-point bullets that stop the enemey on impact (good idea, Alamo)
MP5: Clip-unloda function (pumping out 30 rounds in a matter of milliseconds-PWNAGE!)
AK: Grenade launcher (good idea, Alamo)
Styer: Expanded clip
Spas: How 'bout more buckshot in that bad boy? Like, say, 3 times as much?
Ruger: 2X damage, perhaps? Or maybe exploding bullets?
M79: Sticky bomb, you shoot it and it explodes when a person touches it.
Barrett: No recoil (bink) when firing in scope mode for 1 clip.
Minimi: More ammo, it's freakin' belt-fed already! I think.
Minigun: Double speed? Double clip?

And if you (somehow) get the power-up with the flamer,

Flamer: Rapid-fire.

Deleted User
October 2, 2005, 3:19 am
The idea is plausible, as long as the secondary firing modes are kept simple. However, I do believe that it wouldn't be practical as a powerup. You die too fast in soldat for them to be real useful, so they'd have to be an inherent part of the weapon.

Here are my ideas, which include modifications of others':

Desert Eagles: A laser pointer for increased accuracy and power, but slower firing interval. A good mode for when the enemy has you bogged down and you can't simply fire a bunch of shots in succession like you normally would. I got this idea from the Raptor Magnum in 007: The World is Not Enough game for the N64.

HK-MP5: The clip-unload feature sounds neat, but it'd have to have more bink (that'd take effect instantly) though to be used as intended. You know, enough to annihilate someone at a very short range, but still be ineffective at medium-long range.

AK-74: The grenade launcher is neat, but that'd be better suited for something like the Minimi, I think. The AK is known as a popular terrorist/soviet weapon (can you say "Goldeneye"?), so some big fancy grenade-launching mode wouldn't seem right. Instead, I suggest incendiary bullets that fire a short burst at a time.

Steyr AUG: I actually don't know about this one... Sorry :P

SPAS 12: A "sawed-off" mode. Need I say more?

Ruger 77: A scope would make this baby a real asset, but with less firepower or longer firing interval, of course.

M79: An incendiary or acid grenade with less power but splashed burning damage would be neat.

Barret: To be honest, this gun doesn't NEED a secondary mode, but mainly I just can't think of a good one right now :P

Minimi: As stated above, a grenade launcher would be more practical on a big gun like this. Not nearly so strong as the m79, of course, but good for when the enemy gets past your long-range terror.

Minigun: Same situation as the Barret.

Flamer: One word--Fireballs.

Cookie.
October 2, 2005, 5:33 am
" Soldat is supposed to be a simple game, these just wouldn't work."

A simple game for simple people like you!!! :)

Deleted User
October 2, 2005, 5:54 am
quote:Originally posted by Cookie." Soldat is supposed to be a simple game, these just wouldn't work."

A simple game for simple people like you!!! :)

You join a game, and you pick one primary and one secondary. With these weapons, you kill people.

I fail to see the complexity.

Deleted User
October 2, 2005, 5:56 am
quote: I'm not sure about which key to bind the sec. attack to, but that's quite cool.

I'd recommend spacebar.

NuZZ
October 2, 2005, 6:11 am
Ok im sick of you nubs sayin "Omfg Soldat is simple and you are just meant to kill things... "? lol!!!!!!
Soldat being 'this' simple isnt going to make Michal the big bucks, lol, but actually a more complex game would ;o
I mean, I would definently pay $10++ a mounth to play a MMORPG of Soldat, same engine, a hell of alot more complex like an RPG, with ragdoll and all that, I would, and i know alot more people would too.
I guess playing since 2002 makes that of you doesnt it... ?

F3nyx
October 2, 2005, 10:11 pm
YoMammasMamma -- alright, I already mentioned that having weapon powerups all over would clutter up the map annoyingly. But most of your specific suggestions are problematic:

Deagles -- a laser pointer? Have you noticed the bullet drop that affects ALL weapons in Soldat to some degree? Plus, you already HAVE a crosshair that shows exactly where the gun is pointing, so wouldn't that be a little redundant? Hell, change the sniper line to be red and you'd have your laser pointer. Useless.

AK -- Incendiary bullets... does that just mean tracers (which we already have)? As for the AK not having a grenade launcher... you might find this link interesting: http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl05-e.htm

SPAS -- The pellet spread on the SPAS is already exaggerated by at least a factor of 5. A sawed-off mode would be completely useless, you'd not be able to damage anything beyond chainsaw range.

Minimi -- somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure grenade launchers are never, ever mounted on squad machine guns.

I'm not entirely opposed the idea of alternate ammunition for the M79 (incendiary grenades, etc.) and SPAS (shotgun slugs), and maybe a grenade launcher for the AK and AUG (the AUG can mount an M203), which could kill in a direct hit but would have a very small blast radius, and long reload time. But the rest of the weapons don't need alternate ammo types.

Plus, I think that, as Muffin says, this kind of complexity could destroy something fundamental to Soldat. Making changes to the basic formula of Soldat -- it can't be denied that adding multiple firing options for all weapons would be a huge change -- could lead to rampant demand for "innovative", trendy features such as:
- hundreds of guns to choose from, rather than a dozen
- Soldat in 3D
- a complete melee system with combos, finishing moves, etc.
- vehicles
- singleplayer missions
- last but not least, MMO Soldat

I can't believe, NuZZ, that you think a Soldat MMO-anything would be worth playing. What the hell would you do, go around to cities and buy guns so that you could level-up your "Shoot stuff" skill? And we already have ragdolls for god's sake!

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 9:16 pm
Hmmm... You have a good point with the AK, although what I meant by incendiary bullets was something like bullets that would slightly burn the soldat when it hit them. I suppose I should have been more specific. You are right though, and I hadn't thought about what kind of gun the minimi specifically is--I had the image of the Mustang-MAR/GL from The World is not Enough stuck in my head when I was typing that up.

As for the laser pointer, I probably didn't make the first part of my statement clear enough--it wouldn't be about a red line across the screen, it'd be about the DEs having increased accuracy (decreased arc?) and more power than in normal firing mode, but at the cost of being slower. The idea is that you could switch to it when you're on the defensive in a firefight, but it wouldn't be too useful when you're charging at the enemy. It was the best thing I could come up with off the top of my head :P

For the SPAS, you're right; I forgot about that whole bullet spread problem. Of course, if each pellet in the shot did more damage, it would make a good gun for hitting a bunch of people at once... But that'd be abused way too much.

As for complexity, I do agree that too much would ruin Soldat. There's one thing that separates this from the examples you named, though: each of your examples would be time-consuming, unwieldy, and/or complicated when used in practice. However, switching weapon modes would be as simple as pressing the "C" key on your keyboard--then you're all set!

Lastly, I concur that NuZZ is a silly goose.

F3nyx
October 3, 2005, 10:12 pm
Yeah, choosing ammo types in the Weapons menu would be very unwieldy, as you said. I suppose it would have to be implemented sort of like the Rambo Bow already is, where you can switch between arrows and explosive arrows, except not using the "switch weapon" key, but a new "switch ammo" key instead.

Having grenade launchers on the assault rifles, or shotgun slugs is a fairly cool idea. The main problem, I think, is that it would be very hard to come up with a corresponding upgrade for the other weapons. Giving the AUG or AK a mini-grenade launcher would give it much greater versatility as a weapon... what similarly realistic upgrade is there for the Desert Eagles or Minigun?

Just thought of something. How about grenade launchers/alternate ammo types could be chosen in the Weapons menu, but only as a secondary weapon? That way, you'd get a single, very versatile weapon, but at the sacrifice of that trusty ol' knife or chainsaw. I don't think this would have to slow down weapon selection, either, because unless you specifically selected a grenade launcher, you'd simply get your default secondary weapon upon selecting the AUG or AK.

I'm still not sure I like the idea, though. It's sorta Counter-strike-ish.

a-4-year-old
October 3, 2005, 10:34 pm
it can't work because of the balance problems, i mean you already have an overused grinade launcher (m79!!!) that will make secondarys worthless (having basicly 3 total weapons) and make 1 shot kills even more popular (2 backups!) it just can't work
*throws into the ideas that can never work with soldat pile*

additives for weapons"hi! im new here what do you guys do"
veicles"we are the daydreams of many soldaters"
water"our lives are worthless"
ultramode!!!1!11!"speak for yourself water! my brother htf got in!"
veicles"just barely"
gravity"im kinda there..."
water"oh stfu gravity your the reason im here!!!"
ultramode!!!1!11!"now guys lets remember the last time we fought!"
veicles"yeah that knife charge up time argument was pretty bad"
gravity"and pointless"
water"your pointless"
ultramode!!!1!11!"now guys don't start!"

lol

F3nyx
October 4, 2005, 7:07 am
^^ heh, that's a funny mental image

a-4-year-old
October 4, 2005, 5:42 pm
why thank you i was expecting a flamage of people who support veicles water gravity and crappy game mode ideas

ill make a text series!

CRAPPY IDEAS SEASON 4 DVD!

additives for weapons"im board"
water"how can you be bored"
ultramode!!!1!11!"unlike you hes not in most games"
gravity"and some of us here get modded and under-appreciated"
water"everyone in realistic hates you!!"
gravity O_O "take that back!"
water"i speak the truth!"
ultramode!!!1!11!"shut up the two of you!"
veicles"yeah! shaddup!"
ultramode!!!1!11!"nobody asked you veicles"
additives for weapons"ok comon guys lets not start a fight"
stealing enemy's shirt color"no ive been quiet long enough you guys stfu!!!"
kung-foo-moves"omg here we go!"
ti-chi-moves"oh its on!"
karate moves"bring it!!!"
additives for weapons"whos that guy in the corner?"
gravity"oh thats /fart ever since his brother left he just hasnt been the same"
additives for weapons"oh thats so sad :("
gravity"yeah atleast hes not as bad as realistic-as-only-gametype"
veicles"i thought we aggreed we would never speak of him ever again"
gravity"no that was *wispers* mp5-one-shot-kill"
ultramode!!!1!11!"shhhhhhhh! be quiet he might hear you!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

F3nyx
October 4, 2005, 10:22 pm
Okay, you've killed this thread... but it was worth it since that got quite a few chuckles out of me. Well played.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 10:56 pm
Choosing ammo types could be pretty cool, but I doubt we're gonna see it be implemented...

a-4-year-old
October 5, 2005, 12:45 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyxOkay, you've killed this thread... but it was worth it since that got quite a few chuckles out of me. Well played.

its my super-human-power totaly murdering dumb threads, actualy its more like a massacer, very effective, almost like a lock but with spam and jokes about past stupid topics. its a tough job but somebody has to... well not really, the moderators can do the same thing much quicker :/ oh well, glad i know im funneh, i feel so warm inside :)