( search forums )
Minigun suggestion ;)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
September 30, 2005, 10:02 pm
Hi everyone! Just an idea that popped into my head ;P
At the moment, the minigun "warms up" and then you can fire for as long as you want. You can use up the whole of your clip if you wanted.
My little random idea is this: Remove the "warm up", but in its place put in a special meter. As you fire, the meter goes down, and the lower the meter is, the slower the minigun fires. The meter would slowly (Or not so slowly) go up when you're not firing. Kind of like a recharging battery ;) It would stop spraying at least, and give a new angle on the mnigun.

As I said, just a random idea that popped into my head...

Meandor
October 1, 2005, 12:05 am
hm.. this isn't bad, though it's have it the other way - the minigun starts off really slow, and progressively reaches it's standard rate of fire. Or: the start-up time could be removed, and the warm up (like stat-guns) introduced to minigun.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:34 am
Sounds like an superly awesome idea.
It would've been better in 1.2.1 now.
But it's a great idea.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:37 am
Wow, nice idea. I thought of the bulletspeed getting a bit slower every bullet or so.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:46 am
Nice idea Officer Bulbock, and Nice Idea Meandor also.

I think that the bullets starting off slowly and then slowly increasing is a awesome idea, because it makes perfect sense with selfbink also. As you shoot slowly, the bullets are more accurate and shoot more straight, however as the minigun warms up, the bullets become sporadic and the mingun starts shooting all over the place. Awesome ideas guys

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:56 am
Thats sounds good Poop, when you start firing its kinda accurate but slow firing, but as it "warms up" and fires faster it becomes what is is now: a medium range shredding machine.
Deciding between accurate bursts or more deadly but ammo-consuming spraying would give the minigun a bit of charm and effectiveniss. At the moment the minigun is only effective very occasionly...

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 3:07 am
I support this idea! Weapons are each supposed to have times when they rock and times they don't, and right now the minigun is an example of when a weapon doesn't rock enough. This'll give the minigun the versatility to be a respectable primary.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 3:56 am
Perfect! This might just make minigun a force to be reckoned with, rather then be laughed at and looked at as a noob tube. =3 Soo many good ideas, so little implemented. :(

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 1:55 pm
hmm not bad good idea i trough ^^

Mielos
October 1, 2005, 2:33 pm
nice idea, hope it get's implemented ;)

tRaQs
October 1, 2005, 4:08 pm
Sorry, I just can't say I like it though, Miniguns are good enough to me right now, the start up time shouldnt be a problem if you know how to use one.

UnRadiant
October 1, 2005, 6:13 pm
Not a bad idea, it would certainly make it more interesting.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 8:17 pm
@ tRaQs I've been playing with the minigun for a couple of weeks and I can tell you that's overall unbalanced compared to the other guns.

Twinkler
October 1, 2005, 8:40 pm
I'd have to disagree there. If you learn how to use it properly, and are on a decent server, then you're pretty much unstoppable.

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 8:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_Bulbock@ tRaQs I've been playing with the minigun for a couple of weeks and I can tell you that's overall unbalanced compared to the other guns.

Its definetly unbalanced. The start up time combined with the super bink pretty much forces you to spray the living hell out of who you're killing. The minigun should be able to shoot in bursts without a start up time like any other gun.

F3nyx
October 1, 2005, 10:09 pm
Meandor's idea is great... I think real-life miniguns can't work like that, but it's a good suggestion regardless.

Another suggestion for the minigun: in addition to the already present "spin up" time, add a "spin down" time as well. The way the minigun currently works, it takes about a half second to get the barrel spinning at the correct speed, but the INSTANT you stop firing, the barrel stops spinning and you have to start all over again.

Why not make it so when you stop firing, the barrel takes another half second to stop spinning? That way, you could stop firing for an instant so that you'd stop self-binkiing, but the barrel would only partially slow down and you'd be able to resume fire more quickly.

Also, the minigun's self-bink pattern is messed up... at full self-bink, it fires bullets only at the extreme top and bottom of the arc of fire... it fires NO bullets directly forward. It's supposed to be random!

Deleted User
October 1, 2005, 11:18 pm
Uh... Ok I just took some stupid pills 5 minutes ago, exactly how does this work? Is this suppose to be almost like the "Reaper" from Perfect Dark? (think back now...)

xtishereb
October 2, 2005, 2:20 am
F3nyx, I'm fairly sure that's the way it works now. At least, I assume so. If it isn't then I've probably been n00bish running around trying to keep the minigun at half-charge-up time. That'd work great.
The idea of the minigun shooting slowly at first then normally was already suggested, but hey, it's a good idea. The idea of the battery bar isn't that great, so let's just stick with the slow-quick rotation. Or at least having the minigun keep spinning for a second.

F3nyx
October 2, 2005, 9:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by xtisherebF3nyx, I'm fairly sure that's the way it works now. At least, I assume so. If it isn't then I've probably been n00bish running around trying to keep the minigun at half-charge-up time. That'd work great.
The idea of the minigun shooting slowly at first then normally was already suggested, but hey, it's a good idea. The idea of the battery bar isn't that great, so let's just stick with the slow-quick rotation. Or at least having the minigun keep spinning for a second.
Nope. I just went and tested it to make sure. No matter how short the release time, the spin-up time is still the same... though I'm not trying to imply that you're "n00bish", since most people aren't even interested enough in the minigun to discover this.

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 10:04 pm
Itty bitty bump ;)
How about this:
As you hold down the trigger the minigun spins faster and faster, firing faster and faster until it reaches certain speed. When you let go of the trigger the gun winds down slowly, but if you fire before its "warmed down" the minigun will reach it's top speed faster.
If this is added, the minigun should be more popular than it is now...

F3nyx
October 3, 2005, 10:17 pm
^^ That sounds good to me, as long as the minigun doesn't start firing as soon as you pull the trigger. The increasing rate of fire would certainly make for some interesting battles (and ammo shortages).

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 4:10 am
hm, i was thinking something different.
how about, the minigun aims slightly straighter, but it has an over heat bar instead? the speed stays the same, but once it has been fired for a while, it actually reaches a point where it will stop shooting and cause burn damage to yourself :-p

i dunno, i was just thinking a minigun is alot like an uzi, and they get pretty hot pretty quick, sooo yeah.

maybe a combo of both ideas? or maybe reaching a certain speed/slowing down would just be easier to do :-p

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 5:46 am
Minis (I assume) wouldn't heat up to much because of the multiple barrels. Correct me if I'm wrong though ;)

F3nyx
October 4, 2005, 7:10 am
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockMinis (I assume) wouldn't heat up to much because of the multiple barrels. Correct me if I'm wrong though ;)
You're correct. Lower risk of overheating is one of the main principles behind modern miniguns (in addition to the insane rate of fire!).

Zegovia
October 4, 2005, 10:48 am
Sounds like when youre firering a water gun while pumping it up at the same time...

F3nyx
October 5, 2005, 1:48 am
^^ Care to explain that? I used to fire a Super Soaker while pumping it, and it just squirted water further in the middle of a pump.

tRaQs
October 6, 2005, 10:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Extacidequote:Originally posted by Officer_Bulbock@ tRaQs I've been playing with the minigun for a couple of weeks and I can tell you that's overall unbalanced compared to the other guns.

Its definetly unbalanced. The start up time combined with the super bink pretty much forces you to spray the living hell out of who you're killing. The minigun should be able to shoot in bursts without a start up time like any other gun.

Not really, seeing as it binks after about 20 shots(a guess) if you can nail em with even half, a bit of spraying will knock off that last bit of health, not to mention how you'd throw off their aim(barret douches) with it, besides, let go of click button for slightest second for another concentrated blast.

Bulbock I've seen you play, you really don't need your minigun to be any better.(compliment)

@ f3nyx, he means it keeps going i believe, not that it's range increases, but that he can keep a rate of fire(i think)

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 11:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by tRaQsquote:Originally posted by Extacidequote:Originally posted by Officer_Bulbock@ tRaQs I've been playing with the minigun for a couple of weeks and I can tell you that's overall unbalanced compared to the other guns.

Not really, seeing as it binks after about 20 shots(a guess) if you can nail em with even half, a bit of spraying will knock off that last bit of health, not to mention how you'd throw off their aim(barret douches) with it, besides, let go of click button for slightest second for another concentrated blast.

Bulbock I've seen you play, you really don't need your minigun to be any better.(compliment)

@ f3nyx, he means it keeps going i believe, not that it's range increases, but that he can keep a rate of fire(i think)

I just got out of a game, and I do exactly as you state, i know how to use a minigun to its best capabilities. -_- My strategy is, use the minigun to keep your opponents at a distance, and to push them and mess their aim. Ill usually fire in intervals of 10-20 bullets at a time hitting them directyl and pushing until i pull out a socom to finish them off.

The problem is, the minigun doesnt stand a chance against 2 persons at once, unless you can spray it so it hits 100% head shots, and even with a secondary that kills in 1 hit, itd take too long to kill the other.

IMO, minigun needs more strength, smaller start up time. :)

tRaQs
October 8, 2005, 12:10 am
Isn't anyone screwed when two(good) players are shooting at them? In this case lets make the ruger a 1 hitter....

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 5:46 am
quote:Originally posted by tRaQsIsn't anyone screwed when two(good) players are shooting at them? In this case lets make the ruger a 1 hitter....

Not neccesarily, because a ruger can kill 2 people quickly with the right aim, any gun could quickly, or have a knife to back it up. Its been done, too many times to count.

But the minigun, can barely go toe to toe with another gun other than barret which it still can give it a hard time in terms of being able to run away. Poor minigun, weak. :(

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 8:33 am
Thanks traqs ;)
The minigun is good if used properly, but it should be slightly better, so that its slightly more effective.
But yeah, it can kick ass if you know how...

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 8:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockThanks traqs ;)
The minigun is good if used properly, but it should be slightly better, so that its slightly more effective.
But yeah, it can kick ass if you know how...

I know how, problem is it doesnt kick enough ass or doesnt kick fast enough. You might as well go with an mp5. The only real weapon the minigun can counter is a barret, which any other auto can do with the same effect or better. I mean, its only good for surfing now. =\ Or getting around to places on maps which you dont need to be going to.

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 9:27 pm
Not neccissarily (Bad spelling), I lost count of how many people I pissed of on kampf with realistic mode on xD
The minigun is useful, but only on team games. It pretty much sucks on death match.
And thats the crux of the problem: The minigun is very useful in certain situations, but sucks total ass in others. I know weapons work better in certain situations, but the minigun is way too polarised at the moment. But if it is improved in some way, then it better not be removing the warm-up. Once your good with the minigun then the warm-up is dealt with ease, except on realistic. If your going to improve the minigun, then the suggested "warm-down" effect would probably be best.
But then, the minigun being less useful at least stops loads of people using it and turning a server ionto a lag fest ;)

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 4:00 am
The minigun can be alright in deathmatches... I've won using it before.

And yeah, the warm-down thing would do the trick, as the startup is an obstacle when you're having to take down a quick-moving target in bursts.

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 4:34 am
The Minigun isn't worthless but right now, it can't compete with ANY of the other autos.

WARM-DOWN PLZ

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 10:35 pm
Its actually not the start up time i have a problem with, I actually just go trigger happy with the left click and always hold it down but let go before it begins ripping bullets. It can be a gamble sometimes, but it helps when you fly right into someone and can begin ripping a bead on them right on the get go.

It just needs to be more effective for a 1 v 1 situation. Yes, in team games this gun fits PERFECTLY for providing support fire for a rugerhead on your team or a deagler, but this gun alone just doesnt cut it. Infact, now that I think about it, a warm down would especially help in being able to fire off accurate rounds faster~

nfsjunkie91
October 16, 2005, 2:34 am
here is my idea for minigun (kinda building off other ideas):
when u press fire, it will increase the rotation speed, and then when the rotation number reached a certain value it would fire a bullet, and it would eventually get t o max speed so somethign like (and i am going to use blitz basic code here sry):
quote:
if mousedown(1)
minigunrotspeed=minigunrotspeed+0.5
endif
if not mousedown(1)
minigunrotspeed=minigunrotspeed-0.3
endif
if minigunrotspeed>6
minigunrotspeed=6
endif
if minigunrotspeed<0
minigunrotspeed=0
endif
minigunrotation=minigunrotation+minigunrotspeed
if minigunrotation=6
(fire a bullet)
endif

ok so basically what i said there was, when the mouse is down, it increases the speed at which the minigun rotates, and when the minigun rotation value = 6, it will fire a bullet, and it caps the minigun rotation speed at 1 bullet per second in this case, and prevents it from going below 0. it is rough, but that is the general idea.

rafterman
October 20, 2005, 6:28 am
the minigun should be the mounted gun it would be good for a kinda King of the Hill map.