( search forums )
Alpha
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
NuZZ
October 1, 2005, 9:27 am
Thats right

Alpha in this game, it pretty much only exists client side, well, meaning the client makes all the non-alpha blended BMP files blend into whatever is behind it...
Meaning we cant make light effects, sceneries, weapons, gostek, anything that blends into the backround...

If Soldat had this then it would be absolutely sick!
I mean, the graphics would be able to be improved so well, kind of like the firing graphics for weapons would have light effects.

Not actual "light effects" that react with the polygons, but on that... Light effects that would change the color of the polygons close to it, depending on the files properties, like ingame code making weapon fire graphics give off more light effects on polys then the default weapon graphics wich give 0.
A new .ini file would be needed to modify these, like co-ordinates on where the center of the light would be on the image (Pixles, like 5x20 )and the amount of light created.
To blend from color to color in an image, soldat allready has lime green as a transperent color on most images, what about at 1x1 pixel, that pixel color is the completely transparent color, and all shades of that are a different transperency.
Like if it wer lime, all partialy lime, depending on the hex value of lime on the color (like 40Lime 10Red 50Blue, would be 40% transperent or something)
This would be sweet becuase it would allow the game to get alot better into the graphics, and more people, expanding soldat, and a motive for Michal would be more MUNEY!!!!!!!

I wanna see the light!

Koon
October 1, 2005, 10:27 pm
super.

Deleted User
October 2, 2005, 3:26 am
[IMAGE]

I so wanna see lighting effects in this game. They'd make Soldat so much better it wouldn't even be funny. If MM ever makes another real big addition to Soldat, this should be it.

zyxstand
October 2, 2005, 5:42 am
quote:Originally posted by NuZZThats right

40Lime 10Red 50Blue, would be 40% transperent or something

uhh, so, assuming those color-values are out of 100, you want that the comp should interpret a 40% Lime color as 40% transparent? you know, that would mean that you can only really use blue and red for colors which would look rather stupid. you can't rly mix a lime color with an actual image without distorting the colors - therefore, we can do something awesome!: we can create a separate low-bit image file containing only shade of a color (black-white ie) and that could serve to create transparency overlapped with the actual image!

btw, this has been mentioned b4 so many times (even in this forum) that it'd be esaier to just bring that topic back up instead of making a new one...

NuZZ
October 2, 2005, 6:06 am
Well I dont care about old topics, they might leave out something.

I said as an example 40% lime transperency,
what i mean is, bah. I actually realised that I was talkin bull[CENSORED] :P

What ide really want is a new file support, such as TIFF or targa files.
They support transperency :D
So if soldat supported Photoshop, and other program that could edit those files, and bar off all of the people who dont know howto use Photoshop/etc. and just have Photoshop as 'the' main editor for graphics for soldat!..... And the client actually supporting targa/tiff..
That would be phat!

Ide like 800x600 resolution also O.o
But yeah, been playing soldat since 2002, close to its release, and I really think soldat could use a graphics transformation!

EDIT :p
This is so unlike me to make such a great idea into a not so great and "missleading" prosented topic..
I wanto re-make it, full with screenshots etc.
Ill just wait untill this is deleted
Till then, I will prepair some screenshots, photoshoped, and remake a topic "Alpha,Light Effects"

Meandor
October 2, 2005, 10:45 pm
Don't remake it, edit this one.

Deleted User
October 2, 2005, 10:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by NuZZWhat ide really want is a new file support, such as TIFF or targa files.
They support transperency :D
So if soldat supported Photoshop, and other program that could edit those files, and bar off all of the people who dont know howto use Photoshop/etc. and just have Photoshop as 'the' main editor for graphics for soldat!..... And the client actually supporting targa/tiff..
That would be phat!

Yeah, because Photoshop is the only good image editor that ever existed. Screw all'a those people who like simplicity, who don't like the endless lag Photoshop produces, or who can't pay for it! Let's force 'em to use Photoshop!
JOIN THE REVOLUTION!

On the topic of alpha, judging from my previous experiences, it would lag. Quite badly, at that. I'd go with it if it could be turned off, but otherwise, no.

NuZZ
October 3, 2005, 8:27 am
Hah dont you know how 2 download photoshop...
lol ;o
Nah im not makin it this topic cus i allready got 2 much bull[CENSORED]ters ;D

Meandor
October 3, 2005, 12:40 pm
If there is a bs'er here, that's you. It's not the tools that make someone talented, thankfully. Please, no more posts about graphical editors now.
This is an old idea, but in the interview Michal said bmp was fine. So I 'm not sure if this will ever be considered.

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 8:51 pm
'Course, bitmaps could still be used to do transparency... At least, I don't see why not.

Perhaps one way to do it would be sorta like mask layers in Photoshop, where the mask layer is composed of greyscale values, and when the layer is placed over the image layer, the value of the pixels on the mask determine the trasparency of their corresponding pixels on the image layer.
I don't know how practical it would be, but I suppose you could do the same thing with Soldat; just make a "mask image" for each graphic, which the client would use to determine values of transparency for each pixel in the graphic.

For zyxstand, the hexadecimal values for RGB color are 0 to 255.

For NuZZ, targa/tiff files wouldn't be that great... If another image format were to be used in Soldat (which it won't), 24-bit png files would be best, since they're open source or whatever, and thus are compatible with the widest range of programs while still having partial transparency, and with the smallest file size. Sure, you might not be able to use MS Paint to edit the graphics (it doesn't support 24-bit png), but you could always download the GIMP (or GIMPshop if you want the PS feel of things).

And of course, as I am human, and to err is human, it is entirely possible (and likely, even) that I just spewed a bunch of crap out the wrong hole.

xtishereb
October 4, 2005, 12:43 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you use PolyWorks to simulate lighting using the "blank" image and crazy crazy shading techniques?

And as long as we're talking about different images for Soldat, I recommend whatever's smallest. .bmps are huge.

.Loki
October 29, 2005, 11:44 pm
There should be .GIF files in soldat too, or some other animation-friendly file.