( search forums )
The "Missing DNAgames" Syndrom
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
October 3, 2005, 7:24 am
I'm not sure how many of these forum member's were actualy here when the DNA games server was in use.
I'm sure most of you atleast heard of it.
So I'll just review, DNAgames supplied a stable 10 slots server for soldat, it was located in England , the center of the soldat world , ping wise.
I'm not sure but I think it was a 10mb server.
The thing that was so great about DNA is that it was passworded and was always full of good players, well most of the time.
You wouldn't have seen someone fragging his own teammates, standing and shooting the ground etc..

Now the thing that was even more great about it back then, is that it was a stable server , that provided 10 slots. and had a great optimal ping in a general outlook of pings.

Today, we have 100mb servers out there being offered for every kid who has a clan and wants a server, yet a quality server like DNA games is not out there.

When I say quality server, I mean CTF server, a place where ppl come to play CTF, not to talk about their imaginary monkey or the reduction in cost of hookers due to hurrican rita (usualy dicussions that can be found on american servers)

Kids, grown ups, pre teens, not matter what the age, all found a common ground there, CTF soldat!
You came in, and did your best to cap as many caps as you can.

Today the Soldat community is 4-5 times bigger, maybe more, maybe less who cares! ITS BIGGER!
YET! there is no such place , all the passworded server are indeed passworded but everything is based on popularity, apperently DM servers are not good enough for the pure purpose of killing and spraying the air with minigun! ppl today have to do it in a CTF SERVER!
Hey, I don't care if you camp, I don't care if you suck at soldat! but if you join a CTF server ! THEN PLAY CTF and stop taking the fun from others!

So many projects tried and failed, which makes sense, giving everyone who wants the pw really doesnt make a good server with good players.

So I miss DNA, true its different today, since DNA back then was availble on ASE which is a GREAT tool , much better then loading soldat inorder to find a good server..
But still with all the servers we've got today can't ANYONE make a proper server availble with proper admining?!
EVEN the admining sucks on those who has admins!
I join a really known server, full of those lovley americans, as usual some very important issues are beign dicussed betwin 2 members from the blue team, I press F1, I see 3 blue players 5 red players 2 spectators AND!! 1 yellow player (WTTFFFF).
I agree, it can be a pretty sight if you're really into traffic lights, but if you're looking for some CTF actions, that's just annoying! here I am spawning over and over by 2 red players, watching the "lovely" discussion betwin 2 of my teammates.
and that was in the presence of admins (how else would someone be YELLOW!!!)

ARRGGGH!!!!

Chakra`
October 3, 2005, 7:54 am
Hmmm...maybe we could see a return to DNA, if only some server pulls up his pants and has a word with our new Soldat Forums admin, Boosta.

All some jerk with a server has to do is get in contact with him, make sure the servers ok and up most the time, then get old b00sta to support it and slap the pass up here every few weeks. Presto.

Yeah sorry about the yellow thing btw...we uhh...just kinda got a bit bored and out of hand ^_^ (i'm very easily influenced)

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 8:32 am
yeah we need a forum members server where a decent game of ctf can be played. im not gonna do anything towards it cause im lazy but it should b done. Chakra why the hell are you never on when im on i want that damn soldat radio intro :P

i am ahab
October 3, 2005, 9:55 am
ok then mr... um Ok :/

i have a clanplanet server based in the UK. 10M connection, 12 slots with teamspeak. it runs on an auto startup script so its on most of the time. as stable as i think you'll find. i'm willing to slap a password on it for ya.

but as you say, its only going to be another server out there in the forest of darkness. there are only a few decent public servers, DoG, SN, selfkill that i can name. i'll put it together for you if its going to be used. i don't mind putting the time in, but i dont want to host a server thats going to be empty most of the time and that sinks into the void. i'll pm boosta, see what he thinks.

but this wont be a hit overnight. ask flab or the host of any of the well visited publics, it takes time and commitment. i tried to set up a publicly administered server a while back. it showed me a few things for sure....

maybe a few of the more colourful forum characters as admins? or not. im open to suggestion. chak is not allowed to be admin if he's going to be powered by vodka ;p

Aquarius
October 3, 2005, 10:22 am
DNAgames was the most popular and the best passworded server ever, the place to play great games with good players, mates from the Soldat Forums. This won't be back. Today the whole Soldat community is different, in many ways worse. The old good times are over. We can close this topic.

SuperKill
October 3, 2005, 10:34 am
i'm sure it was more than 10mb.
no server would be able to match DNAgames' quality nowdays tho, soldat is simply too big right now.
back then, DNAgames was one of the very few non-public servers that offered a stable gameplay with low pings.
today there are many of these.

sure you could open a passworded 100mb forum-dedicated server located in england again, but the same feeling will be missing. noobs will surely come as these forums are just packed with them as of today, and all of the "above average" players will be scattered everywhere on any server that gives them a low ping.

but that's just my opinion. (i'd love to see another DNAgames server up again)

m00`
October 3, 2005, 10:39 am
i remember trying to join dnagames after getting ping kicked after 5 minutes of joining.. good time -_-

SuperKill
October 3, 2005, 10:47 am
someone make a DNAgames memories thread !!! ;o

i am ahab
October 3, 2005, 11:17 am
quote:i'm sure it was more than 10mb.
i just had a trawl though their site, and they don't quote a connection speed. so ive just mailed my network contact, see what he says. they do mention their latency as being top notch :)

-----EDIT-----
according to my network chief at clanplanet:
We are on multiple 100mbps pipes (which provides a high transfer rate), with connections to major ISP's (bt, telewest, level3 etc) which provides low latency or low ping as there is a quick route from users home pc's in the UK and Europe to our servers.

quote:
sure you could open a passworded 100mb forum-dedicated server located in england again, but the same feeling will be missing. noobs will surely come as these forums are just packed with them as of today, and all of the "above average" players will be scattered everywhere on any server that gives them a low ping.

to be honest dude i see the problem differently. i think the experience is what you make of it. the name won't mean a lot to those who don't remember it, the newbs as you say. sure we'll get the forum kids who'll want a piece of the action and then rant about how leet they are, but isn't that the point of admins? trusted people to kick the rotten ones out?

quote:but that's just my opinion. (i'd love to see another DNAgames server up again)
good im glad dude, so would i. i remember it fondly.

but i think its more about the recognition. its a trusted and loved name amongst those of us that remember it. and that counts for a lot.

ok has shown that if he throws his weight behind something then with some help he can get it off the ground. i'm happy to leave the project up to ok? if he wants to do anything with it?

[off topic]
when looking through clanplanet i found this :o
http://www.clanplanet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=317
reminded me of our disco diva
[/off topic]

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 11:48 am
why dont we pass the password on through private message, so like only the liked/ regular forum members get to play on it. that way we ditch the noobs.

T-Money
October 3, 2005, 12:43 pm
Is that really a good idea? That's just following on the "Popular People Only" theory, which seems a bit cruel to me.

b00stA
October 3, 2005, 1:28 pm
You don't need a "approval" by me or anyone. Just run a server, put a password on it, change the password every or every second week and create a new topic about it, containing the password.

The forum users have to agree to play there. If you're going to play, join that server or ask others in IRC to join with you.

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 4:21 pm
Next time you make a post, leave your America bashing out of it.

n00bface
October 3, 2005, 4:24 pm
quote:When I say quality server, I mean CTF server, a place where ppl come to play CTF, not to talk about their imaginary monkey or the reduction in cost of hookers due to hurrican rita (usualy dicussions that can be found on american servers)
ice burn. that never happens on american servers, just in conversations between me and illskillz because there is no one else on irc at midnight to entertain us. if you want to stereotype americans as talkative, then you crazy euros are.....well, they're 10x more talkative!!!!!

i am ahab
October 3, 2005, 4:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAYou don't need a "approval" by me or anyone. Just run a server, put a password on it, change the password every or every second week and create a new topic about it, containing the password.

The forum users have to agree to play there. If you're going to play, join that server or ask others in IRC to join with you.

boosta the point is that DNAgames was the official server of the forums.

it was a focal point. a place that was known.

you're right, we could just start up another server. but then it would be just like any another.

b00stA
October 3, 2005, 4:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by i am ahab
boosta the point is that DNAgames was the official server of the forums.

it was a focal point. a place that was known.

you're right, we could just start up another server. but then it would be just like any another.

If you really want to I can "put my name under it" or something like that but I don't think that will change much. People just have to agree on it themselves.

Deleted User
October 3, 2005, 4:46 pm
i pledge ,if this server ever get off the ground, to forever play in this server in order to avoid talkative americans and 10x as talkative euro's. Australia rox.

Pulp
October 3, 2005, 4:46 pm
Well, DNA was also a 'talkative' server, combined with good playing, no problem with that.

If just some european smart kid with a 100mbit server ( as far as i know DNAgames was only 33mbit ) would make a topic with 'NEW DNAGAMES SERVER' ( + asks a mod to sticky it ) and update the password like the the old dna-way, there'll be no further need to go nostalgic.

Cookie.
October 3, 2005, 5:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by PulpWell, DNA was also a 'talkative' server, combined with good playing, no problem with that.

If just some european smart kid with a 100mbit server ( as far as i know DNAgames was only 33mbit ) would make a topic with 'NEW DNAGAMES SERVER' ( + asks a mod to sticky it ) and update the password like the the old dna-way, there'll be no further need to go nostalgic.

However if you talked to much Superkill would yell at you :'|

T-Money
October 3, 2005, 5:53 pm
Man, I don't even remember this server. When was it around?

n00bface
October 3, 2005, 5:56 pm
i don't think it ever made it past 1.1.5 ??

T-Money
October 3, 2005, 7:51 pm
That explains it. I didn't Enter The Hat until 1.2...and I still remember THAT as old school.
:/

The Geologist
October 3, 2005, 8:21 pm
If this ever starts I'm only going to talk about the reduced cost of hookers in the server. Every time I'm there, it'll be nothing more than talk of hookers, [CENSORED]s, and sluts at discount costs out of me. Just because you were dense enough to say something so...clearly biased and foolish.

Your post and suggestion are noteworthy if you could only manage to keep your own personal bias out of it.

Ok
October 4, 2005, 12:36 am
I can't....
Everytime I go into an american server I see it happening over and over again.
Euro servers are full of noobs who can't play for [CENSORED].
US servers are full of good players who talk alot of [CENSORED].

Very frustrating, its like, you almost manage to have some fun and then BAMM they [CENSORED] it up somehow..

I always have and always will be speaking my mind, I am what I am, I do it in real life and I'll do it anywhere else.
Unlike the other "opinionated" buddies such as yourselfs I actualy try and contribute to Soldat and give back what I've given ... before 1.2.1 that is <_< all the fun I used to had, etc etc..

Back to topic, managing a server is far easier then you think, all you need is an admin in the right place and the right time, to kick that 1 annoying little [CENSORED] who manages to ruin the atmosphere in the server. (very often its actualy me...I BLAME ACCUMILATED FRUSTRATION!!)

At any rate, I shall gather the biggest and most reliable bunch of active players I can get.
Nethertheless, just like any project I made, there will always be those who will try and counter it and ruin it.

You guys need to remember! that this (just like the radio) is a project meant for the public.. as in YOU GUYS!

We finaly have a UK server, which means a very reasonable ping for everyone! (americans, israelis and euros!, screw the australians I SAY! ;) jk)

I'll need to think of a good pw distribution that will screen out the noobs and un desired types.
I'm thinking something in the form of a rule against bashing..
that means even if you hate someone you won't fight with him, and just play the game, which is great!

I'll be happy to get any ideas of how to deal with it better, maybe some good rules , maybe some suggestions to admins (we'll need alot) etc etc.

Expect further updates.

I can assure you this won't be just another password server (I'm way too motivated for that) , this won't be what DNA was either, it will be closer then anything else though.

SuperKill
October 4, 2005, 2:28 am
bias shmias.
dude seriously, americans do chat alot more than europeans.
i dont have a problem with it or anything, but its obvious. ;P

and why go all ape[CENSORED] on him? its not like talking is a bad thing to do, even if he said it is. ;P

The Geologist
October 4, 2005, 2:35 am
Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective...I see just as much chatting in Euro or other servers as I do American. But the chatting isn't a problem as SK says. A trivial issue none the less, I simply don't care for one segment getting an unfair brand when I see something different.

What I do agree with is the need for server free of such frustrations, and I'm behind this concept all the way. Bring back the servers with form based PW topics. There's more than enough of a community here who is 1) willing to play nice and 2) knows the "rules" that go along with a good game.

mar77a
October 4, 2005, 3:12 am
quote:Originally posted by n00bfacei don't think it ever made it past 1.1.5 ??

Nope. I remember playing it when i started, back in 1.1.5. Then it was gone.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 3:13 am
OK hide the password in the soldat forum rules :P and dont tell us where so we have to read it :P, im still gonna go there, therell be lag but ill suck it up. get MM in on it, that will get peoiple motivated

Marbire
October 4, 2005, 3:18 am
DNA was good, but not that great for Americans.

I go further back. Gamespace anyone?

Ok
October 4, 2005, 4:13 am
FACT: americans get an average of 150 ping on a UK server, some americans even get a better ping then I do , you can ask wood for example.(Israel)
I'm looking for optimal in the common sense, its the closest you can have.
Besdides it was full of americans guy , hell u them flooding the gather servers and other euro publics, so this is much better then what you were used too. if u only want to play on US servers then I guess this project won't be good for you.

P.S: the talking part bothers me since they idle and take a spot for someone else who wants to come in and play. then the team player balance goes to [CENSORED].
A Soldat Server is not a place to handle conversations.

Ok
October 4, 2005, 11:00 pm
ERm, there was a missunderstanding.
Please ignore ahab's post untill he deletes it.
ty

i am ahab
October 4, 2005, 11:03 pm
post? what post??

Cookie.
October 5, 2005, 5:30 am
quote:Originally posted by MarbireDNA was good, but not that great for Americans.

I go further back. Gamespace anyone?

It wasn't that bad back then for people near the east coast, but your central right? Also the netcode has improved since 1.15 and it would be much more playable.

Anyways I am in full support of a new Dnagames server, I have noticed an abundant amount of suck on all servers recently, which is probably due to huge growth in players. However I think a forums only password would be great, with no spreading allowed as well as password changes every 2 weeks or as required.

i am ahab
October 5, 2005, 10:22 am
yay for cookie!