( search forums )
NR-Service ? No thanks
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
Leo
October 4, 2005, 9:18 am
Now, here is an interesting story I have for you, my server was registered at NR-Service. Not anymore though. Why ? Sometime ago a player with the nick "EnEsCe" and an IP from Australia joined my server. Everything was nice and cool, no problems there. After a few days the same player, same IP, tried to join again but my server was full. It seems that this "unknown" player got pissed off because he could not join and decided to go the easy way. He joined like an admin, suprise suprise, he knew the server's password, and he started teleporting all over the place. I banned him several times but he always unbanned himself and came back after a few seconds with different nicknames. He finally kicked everyone out and shutted down my server. After that I immediately changed the password and restarted the server. This "unknown" player tried to join again like an admin but, of course, he couldn'd since the password had changed. I leave the conclusions to you. My advice ? If your server is registered at NR-Service, your server is NOT safe.

p.s I have all the logs to proove my words.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 9:45 am
WTF do you have against me? I dont play in your server and never have/will... If you have a problem with me take it out with me instead of putting up some stupid bull[CENSORED] topic like this...
and logs cant really prove much, if the logs were encrypted then yes...

NR-Service is as secure as it always has been and will remain that way.

Leo
October 4, 2005, 9:53 am
I have nothing against you, I just report the facts.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 9:58 am
I smell bullsh!t.

Leo
October 4, 2005, 10:11 am
Not really, why I should do something like that ? I don't know you neither do I have any reason not to like you. If you are not personally responsible for this you should check who has access to your database. Either way I am not gonna use your service never again.

FliesLikeABrick
October 4, 2005, 12:25 pm
I'd like to have the logs. e-mail them to flieslikeabrick@gmail.com

Leo
October 4, 2005, 1:06 pm
You have them.

FliesLikeABrick
October 4, 2005, 2:25 pm
I have recieved your logs and looked through them.

I am very disappointed to acknowledge that what Leo says is true, it would be very hard for these logs to be faked. Very, very hard.

Since I host NR-serv, I have logs of everything that you could imagine, not surprisingly including FTP and HTTP access logs, as well as access to any logs from NR, and also all of the IP information collected from logins on my site.

Over at least a 10 day period around the time that this all happened, enesce had the same IP, and it matches exactly the IP that Leo posted.

If you look at the logs, you would see that there is a lot to it, and there are a couple reasons that I am inclined to believe this happened.

1) it would take a very long time to fake those logs
2) to fake them, you would have to know that that is his IP at the exact time you would have theoretically made the logs
3) you would have had no idea how long he had that IP,whether it was only for an hour or was for multiple days

I am a strong supporter of enesce and the NR service, hence me hosting it. It is very unfortunate that this happened and I will have to give serious reconsideration to my affiliation with him.

edit: EnEsCe also connected to the FTP and downloaded the file with the server admin passwords right before connecting to Leo's server as admin

edit: thanks a ton enesce, for making me look like an ass after everything i've done for you. I convinced the people here that we could trust you, but apparently I was wrong

Yukwunhang
October 4, 2005, 2:37 pm
Oh my god.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 3:25 pm
this stinks...

T-Money
October 4, 2005, 3:25 pm
He's back...

FliesLikeABrick
October 4, 2005, 3:30 pm
just because he may have been irresponsible with some information doesn't mean he is hacking again, nor does it mean that he ever will again

Leo
October 4, 2005, 4:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickjust because he may have been irresponsible with some information doesn't mean he is hacking again, nor does it mean that he ever will again

Well, he was hacking nicely on my server. My admin, who was playing at the moment, told me that he was teleporting all over the place:

[code]05-09-20 11:58:33 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:33 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! scores for Alpha Team
05-09-20 11:58:34 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:34 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! scores for Alpha Team
05-09-20 11:58:34 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:35 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! scores for Alpha Team
05-09-20 11:58:35 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:35 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:36 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:36 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! scores for Alpha Team
05-09-20 11:58:36 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag
05-09-20 11:58:37 GET TO THE GOOD MAPS! captured the Blue Flag[/code]

It's sad. I am 40 years old and running game servers since 1996, that's the first time someone abuses my trust like that. Too bad because the registration service is a very good and useful idea.

FliesLikeABrick
October 4, 2005, 4:34 pm
whats sad, the fact that he hacked or the fact that you're 40 years old and running game servers?

just kidding... all bad jokes aside, hopefully we'll get to hear what his motivation/logic was

Leo
October 4, 2005, 4:35 pm
I have it like a hobby ;)(running game servers I mean) :P

T-Money
October 4, 2005, 5:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickjust kidding... all bad jokes aside, hopefully we'll get to hear what his motivation/logic was

Ahm...yeah? Maybe we should all just write him off permanently.

Hoodlum
October 4, 2005, 11:17 pm
lmao busted.

Deleted User
October 4, 2005, 11:19 pm
what the hell, i am still going to deny this... as I said; unless soldat logs are encryped you can never be telling the truth...

05-09-20 11:58:36 Leo joining game (69.69.69.299)

zomg you joined my game with a fake IP zomg now everyone must beleive me..
What I am saying is, you just forking got my IP of irc or somthing and found that hacker and replaced his IP with mine...

Jwc
October 5, 2005, 12:46 am
Im just here to confirm what Leo sayd, because i was on the server when this happend.
I gotta say, this was quite a surprise..

And EnEsce, why should Leo or i want to replace someone elses ip with yours?

I think the fact that u downloaded the file with the server admin passwords, right before u connected to Leos might be a little bit hard to explain.

Of course it would be possible that someone else was hacking on Leos server, but it would be a pretty weird coincidence that this happend just a short time after u have been downloading the server admin-passwords.

Next thing u could say would be "u just faked the time too!" ... it would be possible, yes.
Then we would need to know at wich time uve been downloading the files, to make sure the times fit.
But how the hell should we have known at wich time u download server passwords?!?..

So.. the alibi just doesnt work out.
This case is airtight, u got busted.

mar77a
October 5, 2005, 2:42 am
Enesce, the guy who got you again in the forums is saying you did it.

Rambo_6
October 5, 2005, 3:50 am
I know EnEsCe, and i know he wouldn't do something so childish.

Honestly, why would he bother joining a server and making an ass of himself? He's seem to have gotten much more mature since he's shut down his hacks database. eh wouldn't go about practicing random acts of mischief. Not at this point in time.

This whole thing just stinks.

It could have even been some guy from Australia who wanted to get Enesce in trouble. For example, one of those chaps affiliated with, erm, another 'soldat hax site' (i ain't posting the links or anything)...

Enesce has made a lot of enemies since he shut his database down. Keep that in consideration.

Leo
October 5, 2005, 6:16 am
He did this "childish" action. Now, why he did it you should ask him. I had never heard of EnEsCe before neither I have any reason to hurt him in any way. I had registered my server to his service, trusted him and that's the result. My opinion is that for some weird reason he just lost control, he was trying long time to join but he couldn't cause my server is usually full. He got pissed off, maybe he was drunk or something. I have no idea neither do I care.

Deleted User
October 5, 2005, 10:41 am
Well well well; who just joined my server and then got auto-banned by NR-Service for hacking?

Mr. "{X}Leo[TW]", with an IP of 61.228.50.xx + A screenshot to accompany it

Correct me if im wrong; but is this not you? :\

i am ahab
October 5, 2005, 11:20 am
hmmm.

Leo
October 5, 2005, 11:24 am
Not really. You act like a kid, you got busted. Take it like a man and accept it.
p.s The moderators here can check if this IP belongs to me. Never cheated in an online game, unlike some others. But really I don't have to proove that I am no elephant.

Deleted User
October 5, 2005, 11:36 am
Ummm... EnEsCe, you oughta edit that screenie. It has the address for the hack in it....

Yukwunhang
October 5, 2005, 11:37 am
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeWell well well; who just joined my server and then got auto-banned by NR-Service for hacking?

Mr. "{X}Leo[TW]", with an IP of 61.228.50.xx + A screenshot to accompany it

Correct me if im wrong; but is this not you? :
TW stands for Taiwan, and I'm pretty sure the IP 61.xxx is from Asia.

Edit: Done

Deleted User
October 5, 2005, 11:46 am
kk, I wasnt sure; hence why I said "correct me if im wrong"

and I edited the link to screenie since its no longer needed; you should do the same yukwunhang.

PureGrain
October 5, 2005, 1:12 pm
People have bad days and people make bad decisions. Unfortunatly this has happened. Now I think it be best if someone come to a conclusion of some sorts. No since dragging along if we are not looing for an end result.

EnEsCe has helped me on more than one occasion and seems to me to be fit as a mature person, to hear of such things about him has me in aww. I have been in online gaming communities long enough to know that frustration can sometimes lead to kiddie actions.

Can we attempt some sort of resolution for this matter so both parties can go on without beating each other up any longer?

As long as there is animosity there will be dramatic posts about these types of issues.

This has been a post from the National Resolution Team via USA office. :P

Sechs
October 5, 2005, 1:32 pm
Leo, you own the Leo's realistic inf server, right?

I'm sure there is more to the story than this. Accusing people of cheating isn't the whole picture.

FliesLikeABrick
October 5, 2005, 6:00 pm
I looked in the forums info, that IP definately isn't his.

but moving on, it isn't really worth sitting around and fighting over this if there is no concrete proof. As zenji proved, there are people out to make enesce look bad, so maybe thats just what it is.

Enesce has done far more good than harm since he came back to the forums, so if Leo isn't horribly offended by the fact that this might have been Enesce, why don't we just move on?

Leo
October 5, 2005, 8:42 pm
Heh, if the server's logs isn't a proof what else is ? Maybe to go at his home and take a photo of him when he hacks into my server ? Anyway, I don't need anything from anyone. The members of this forum can think of themselves. This story is finished for me. Too bad though, the service is a pretty good idea to be spoiled by "admins" like this one.
Leo over and out...

PureGrain
October 5, 2005, 11:32 pm
Maybe we should just remake the NR service to avoid any admins all together.

FliesLikeABrick
October 6, 2005, 3:41 am
we have one in place already, and one mishap shouldn't be enough to kill it..

even without admins, there would have to be at least one person with access to the passwords. right now there's two people with access, and one person really wouldnt make a difference

Rambo_6
October 6, 2005, 3:51 am
I had a sort of idea that involved servers sharing their banlists. We could create one huge banlist.

Sorta like that Steam Anti-Cheat service taht was made a while back.

FliesLikeABrick
October 6, 2005, 5:51 am
Enesce was actually gonna work on something like that before for any server owners who wanted to share a banlist

m00`
October 6, 2005, 6:18 am
a shared ban list would be a good idea but it could be abused, i mean what if an admin bans somone because they hate them, they would then be banned on the other servers.

Deleted User
October 6, 2005, 6:42 am
If people still want this I could wip it up in a matter of minutes.

Melba
October 6, 2005, 12:51 pm
Go for it

i am ahab
October 6, 2005, 12:57 pm
well this little c script im writing could help.

ultimately it could update a global banned list automatically and run alongside the soldatserver...

that would do away with the need for anyone to log in or out. unless errors were made or you wanted to unban people....

im just doing a simple one first though.

thoughts?

FliesLikeABrick
October 6, 2005, 3:03 pm
enesce can probably use the same server that he already has coded for NR, just modify it to act as a global ban thing, but if you could do it in C, that would be cool since it could then be hosted on linux

Deleted User
October 6, 2005, 11:16 pm
Im using delphi+Kylix at the moment; so I could do a linux one aswell ^_^

Dj-SAGI
November 19, 2005, 8:11 pm
hahaha i knew its going to happen!
this is the reason i didn't singup my server to this [CENSORED]y service
you know why?!
he is anti-soldat man and he will never change!
all his tools are following by same [CENSORED]
( GIVE ME ADMIN PASSWORDS )
dude you suxs!
and you know why?
you are using your coding powers to destroy something!

Hoodlum
November 19, 2005, 8:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Dj-SAGIhahaha i knew its going to happen!
this is the reason i didn't singup my server to this [CENSORED]y service
you know why?!
he is anti-soldat man and he will never change!
all his tools are following by same [CENSORED]
( GIVE ME ADMIN PASSWORDS )
dude you suxs!
and you know why?
you are using your coding powers to destroy something!
I declare shananagins!

b00stA
November 19, 2005, 10:56 pm
I declare this topic DEAD.