( search forums )
Connected Weapon Pairs
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Keron Cyst
October 5, 2005, 3:37 pm
Connected Weapon Pairs
Say weapon four is an M1A1 but although the actual weapon fires bullets the interface and weapons-gfx have a small grenade tube underneath its barrel. Weapon 7 can be its grenade launcher and once you pick either weapon 4 or 7 from a weapon mod that uses it you automatically select both (the change-weapon .POA animation is different). It seems like unfairly getting two primaries but weapon 4 can be much weaker in Damage (and the grenade launcher could be given a StartupTime and/or a longer ReloadTime). Also when you throw it away you're unarmed for both weapon slots, and if you run over a connected weapon pair while unarmed but with a second weapon your soldat can't pick it up.

This'd be awesome for more weapon modability IMO!

xtishereb
October 5, 2005, 3:57 pm
This is a little awkwardly phrased...Lemmie help you out a little.
Currently:
Weapon 4 |/==o (gun w/ nade launcher) Shoots bullets
Weapon 7 |/==o (gun w/ nade launcher) Shoots nades

Proposal:
If you select 4 or 7, you lose your secondary weapon and it is replaced with 7 or 4, depending on which one you chose.
There will be a new change-weapon .poa to switch between them.
4 would have worse stats (less damage, longer interval, etc.)
7 would have worse stats (start-up time, longer reload, etc.)
When thrown away, would empty both weapon slots.
Needs 2 empty slots to pick up.

It's a nice idea, but I don't really like it. This kinda feels like weapon add-ons.

Keron Cyst
October 5, 2005, 6:05 pm
That's the point. It was supposed to be a more balanced weapon add-on suggestion in that it trashes your secondary.

F3nyx
October 5, 2005, 8:31 pm
Um, M1A1? Didn't we already decide that Soldat will never have vehicles? ;D (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=m1a1)

But on topic, I think that if grenade launchers, etc. were added to Soldat, it would have to be in a way similar to what you're suggesting. However, these "connected pairs" would mean that you couldn't simply use the rifle with a secondary weapon, which would be quite a loss IMO. How about, the weapon menu shows two options, one with grenade launcher and one without... if you choose the one with the grenade launcher, your secondary gets trashed, but if you choose the one without the grenade launcher, you keep your secondary.

I guess that weapons add-on thread was getting kinda off topic so it's good to have a separate one.

Deleted User
October 5, 2005, 10:03 pm
......we all knew what he ment f3nyx you dont need to correct him

Keron Cyst
October 5, 2005, 11:11 pm
Oh, crap; I meant M4! Sorry xP

Actually, I like your idea in that instead of both weapon 4 & 7 being the same one they're different so that'd allow for more weaponry.

F3nyx
October 5, 2005, 11:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascoo......we all knew what he ment f3nyx you dont need to correct him
Yes, you see, I used this thing called an "emoticon" to indicate that I was not in fact serious, and only pointing out the humor in the situation. Also, no, I wasn't sure what he meant, since a rather large amount of military hardware has a designation that begins with "M".

Okay, back on topic... I personally think this could be cool, though I think the chances of it actually getting added are low. What weapons did you want to add grenade launchers to? In real life the AUG can mount an M203 (grenade launcher used on the M16/M4), and the AK74 has a grenade launcher attachment as well... I think those might be the only two.

T-Money
October 6, 2005, 3:21 pm
Excellent idea, much better than the original one.

Keron Cyst
October 6, 2005, 3:43 pm
Not just grenade launchers; like maybe for futuristic mods even more heavily function-shared weapons in which if both bullet types are the same they use the same ammo (like one barrel has a quick FireInterval and high Bink and the second has a longer Fire interval but lower Bink). Stuff like that...

T-Money
October 6, 2005, 5:57 pm
Perhaps there could be some way to use the weapons.ini to create entirely new add-on weaponzors?

Deleted User
October 6, 2005, 8:56 pm
How about, keep the normal weapons and have the add-ons (I'd like shotguns and scopes and maybe torches for the dark maps as well as the nade launcher) in the secondry menu?

Keron Cyst
October 6, 2005, 11:39 pm
"Torches for the dark maps?"... o.O'

Deleted User
October 6, 2005, 11:44 pm
What??? I have a horrible time trying to navigate in maps like undermine and 2forts.

F3nyx
October 7, 2005, 5:13 am
Soldat doesn't have lighting... it's got sprites, polygons and a background color, not much else. "Dark maps" means dark terrain polys and background. Adding a system that would light up various polygons would be a lot more complicated than it sounds.

Keron... changing the weapon's fire rate and bink is more of a simple weapon mod than an actual multi-purpose weapon, you'll just end up with a weapon that fires like an AK instead of one that fires like an MP5. It's not a very interesting or useful change, you'd be better off simply carrying around two different autos. If weapon attachments were added to Soldat, they'd have to be contribute something fairly new... at the same time, they'd have to fit with the general theme of Soldat's weapons. And I don't think all the weapons could have attachments... for instance, the Desert Eagles are simple pistols, there aren't really modifications available.

Keron Cyst
October 7, 2005, 6:09 am
I never said all of them needed extra parts...

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 1:08 pm
it would be a pretty cool idea, but I think it would have to be BETA tested by a lot of different users to see if anyone actually likes what it does, and not just the idea of what it can do