( search forums )
LAN server
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Phoenix_Haze
October 6, 2005, 4:32 am
Hey I need help. I try to play a LAN game between my laptop and my brothers computer, we are using a direct connection between the two. I have my IP and PORTS correct but when I click "request server" it doesn't do anything. PLease help :(

Is it even possible to do what I'm doing or do I need to be connected to the internet?

Cookie.
October 6, 2005, 4:53 am
Are you sure you have local servers checked ;) As well if your doing a direct connection you need to be using a cat-5 crossover cable, a normal network cable just wont work.

Thats the best I can do for you, maybe someone else will have some better ideas.

FliesLikeABrick
October 6, 2005, 5:51 am
not only do you need to use a crossover cable for a direct connection, but you need to have all your ip information set up correctly to work as a direct network connection. use google to find out what settings should be used for a direct crossover connection

Phoenix_Haze
October 6, 2005, 6:09 am
yeah I'm using blue CAT-5 Cables. The network is running I have gotten other multiplayergames to work but Soldat doesn't detect the other player. Do i still need to use "dedicated server" if so how do I make 1 computer the server/host and the other the client
much appreciated

Phoenix_Haze
October 6, 2005, 7:44 am
I need clearer instructions than what the manual has.

1. How do I host a game?
2. How do I get other computers (home offline) to connect to me?

I have the computers networked, they are functional but only this game doesn't work. all my otherones work so its not a problem with my network. "Request Server" doesn't change to "requesting" even when both LAN options are on (on next to the button and the other in the options). I have checked both firewalls on the computers and have turned both off but still no detection.

It's been awhile since I found a decent LAN game lol I really want this to work! :)

Phoenix_Haze
October 6, 2005, 9:19 am
Ok I did the network over again, this time I ran both dedicated server and normal soldat on the same computer, and only soldat on the other.
(Called A and B respectivly)

Computer A held a server and also had a game connecting to it
Computer B couldn't find the server on Computer A

The server had 255 players connected to it out of a maximum of 8
The map was _________ but when ran cam up as "airpirates" map

there were no bots and only the player and items existed. What is wrong

i am ahab
October 6, 2005, 10:04 am
dude use the edit button!

quote:
The server had 255 players connected to it out of a maximum of 8
The map was _________ but when ran cam up as "airpirates" map

right first off i recommend you run the seperate soldatserver 2.3.7 program available on the soldat site. i have no idea why it did that, but the dedicated server can be a cheeky monkey and not play nice. using 237 should help remove that problem and allow us to troubleshoot the issue.

the reason you cannot request servers is because that requires a net connection in order to query the lobby servers which are names in the lobbyservers.txt file.

presuming that you have indeed set up yr networking correctly.... ;)

your best bet is to use the IP of computer A in the join game box in the soldat game you have running on computer B. if you have the IP and ports right then the game will connect!