( search forums )
Pot heads...
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 3:03 am
98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this into your signature.

Ohh you people really ruin the point of that being in my sig. >.>; *cough*Yomommas, zambino, traqs, and anyone else I may not have seen. *cough*

The Geologist
October 7, 2005, 3:22 am
So what?

_Mancer_
October 7, 2005, 3:26 am
I don't smoke, never have never will, but I don't give a [CENSORED] if a friend next to me is.

n00bface
October 7, 2005, 3:28 am
pot is cool

Milkman Dan
October 7, 2005, 3:31 am
Damn straight-edgers!

Rambo_6
October 7, 2005, 3:33 am
Pot is less harmful than booze...

Do you ever hear of high driving?

I THOUGHT SO.

karmazon
October 7, 2005, 3:41 am
guess im one of the 2%

AerialAssault
October 7, 2005, 4:04 am
i doubt the validity of that statistic. was there a survey i wasnt aware of?

UGK
October 7, 2005, 4:39 am

<----2% right here

wormdundee
October 7, 2005, 4:53 am
closest ive gotten to pot is smelling it, which isnt exactly rare since im in british columbia

Vijchtidoodah
October 7, 2005, 4:55 am
quote:Originally posted by Milkman DanDamn straight-edgers!

Straight-edgers are people who don't do anything, not just pot.

m00`
October 7, 2005, 5:03 am
i doubt its 2%, more like 80%, i dont know anyone that has tried or does smoke pot (in real life)

FliesLikeABrick
October 7, 2005, 5:21 am
have fun smoking pot, 1) its bad for you
2) there have been a lot of things going around saying that osama is going to have some people lace up a ton of pot with [CENSORED] thatll kill you in a couple hits

have fun wondering if your pot is gonna kill you

peemonkey
October 7, 2005, 5:24 am
damn eyic where the [CENSORED] are you from?
brick's #2: and they also say pot funds terrorism.

vash763
October 7, 2005, 5:52 am
ya, its dumb. never touched the stuff.

and it pisses me off when my girlfriend gives in to other people and goes and gets high

idk, i guess its just the way i am

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 6:00 am
quote:Originally posted by Extacide98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this into your signature.

Ohh you people really ruin the point of that being in my sig. >.>; *cough*Yomommas, zambino, traqs, and anyone else I may not have seen. *cough*

where would this be in the world

i know that dose not apply for the us sence its about 30% of the teen age pop smoke or have smoke

Cookie.
October 7, 2005, 6:20 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`i doubt its 2%, more like 80%, i dont know anyone that has tried or does smoke pot (in real life)

Maybe because your so young. Most of the people I know have smoked pot, but maybe thats because I'm Canadian :P Also I have a few friends that do alot more harder drugs than pot >.<

n00bface
October 7, 2005, 6:47 am
quote:Originally posted by vash763ya, its dumb. never touched the stuff.

and it pisses me off when my girlfriend gives in to other people and goes and gets high

idk, i guess its just the way i am

tenbux says she sleeps with all the people who give her pot.

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 6:55 am
she gets really horny too i know ^_^ jk

AH ya, this one time. I was going to get high with these to girls ~<SLUTS>~ and there got high and really horny and started frenching each other. It was kick ass

Milkman Dan
October 7, 2005, 7:00 am
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodahquote:Originally posted by Milkman DanDamn straight-edgers!

Straight-edgers are people who don't do anything, not just pot.

I'm fully aware of that

Captain Ben
October 7, 2005, 7:15 am
I don't smoke pot, never have, and never will, I just don't want that crap in my signature.

frogboy
October 7, 2005, 7:37 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenI just don't want that crap in my signature.
Agreed. I'd rather put crap that I choose in my sig.

EDIT: oops.

The Geologist
October 7, 2005, 8:02 am
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickhave fun smoking pot, 1) its bad for you
2) there have been a lot of things going around saying that osama is going to have some people lace up a ton of pot with [CENSORED] thatll kill you in a couple hits

I'm suprised you'd say something like this. That rumor has been out for years now. Buying into propaganda isn't something I'd call you out on. At least concerning the latter portion of your reply...

Captain Ben
October 7, 2005, 9:41 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by Captain BenI just don't want that crap in my signature.
Agreed. I'd rather put crap that I choose in my sig.

EDIT: oops.

I FEEL YOU, BROTHER.

SuperKill
October 7, 2005, 10:01 am
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick

that doesnt scream ANTI-DRUG PROPOGANDA at all.

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 12:19 pm
The first time I saw Exta's sig, I thought to put my signature in; I've been seeing that stupid sig for some time now, and even a "corrected" one that said 70% or something like that.

It came out of nowhere, and without any statistic integrity... Yet people embrace it.

As for actually smoking pot, I've never done it and never will.
Or any other illegal drug.
Or alcohol.
Or cigarettes.
Hell, I've never had a soft drink.

FliesLikeABrick
October 7, 2005, 12:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillquote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick

I'm just telling you what i heard.

the fact is that even if it is anti-drug propoganda, i'd still tell it to you guys, hoping that at least one person heard it.

for those of you who don't know, I had cancer when i was younger. therefore, I do my best to try and convince other people to stay away from drugs and cigarettes, because you never want to go through what i went through

edit: and it isnt a couple years old, this came out in the beginning of summer.

Hoodlum
October 7, 2005, 1:19 pm
I love pots.

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 3:46 pm
first time my friend tried pot he said the trees were talking to him and his garage door tried to eat him, i tried it and nothing happened....

System_Decay
October 7, 2005, 8:22 pm
I'm at an alternative school and you can't see anyone outside of that school without a joint.

AerialAssault
October 7, 2005, 9:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickquote:Originally posted by SuperKillquote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick

I'm just telling you what i heard.

the fact is that even if it is anti-drug propoganda, i'd still tell it to you guys, hoping that at least one person heard it.

for those of you who don't know, I had cancer when i was younger. therefore, I do my best to try and convince other people to stay away from drugs and cigarettes, because you never want to go through what i went through

edit: and it isnt a couple years old, this came out in the beginning of summer.
ok, so what do you think about people eating hash brownies?

n00bface
October 7, 2005, 10:06 pm
quote:Hell, I've never had a soft drink.
What? Explain how you have lived this long without trying a soft drink pls.

peemonkey
October 7, 2005, 10:20 pm
how will osama poison sonoma county's pot when we're the ones who grow the [CENSORED]? we're safe here :P

T-Money
October 7, 2005, 10:42 pm
If he was poisoning the opium, mebbe we'd have something to worry about. But pot, nah. All the pot in the world is grown by all-american hicks.

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 10:53 pm
Well for one thing pot now is super pot, compared to back in the 70's.

Michal
October 7, 2005, 11:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`i doubt its 2%, more like 80%, i dont know anyone that has tried or does smoke pot (in real life)

When I was in middle school (grades 7-8) I thought the same, no one I knew tried it.
But now in high school at least 98% of the kids I know smoke/have smoked weed, I have ditched friends because I didn't want to be dragged down with them. It's a school full of rich brats, they have no honour or dignity but they do have lots of money to spend on the [CENSORED].
I guarantee you most people try weed because they are weak. Either they are too afraid of being rejected by their "friends" if they don't smoke it. Or they are too weak to deal with reality, as with other substance abusers.

The Geologist
October 7, 2005, 11:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal
I guarantee you most people try weed because they are weak. Either they are too afraid of being rejected by their "friends" if they don't smoke it. Or they are too weak to deal with reality, as with other substance abusers.

You, sir, have a very biased and backwards understanding of the drug. I smoke pot, are you going to try and tell me I'm afraid of being rejected, or that I can't handle reality? Maybe you'd like to tell that to the many people I know not only following their education for a real world career while smoking pot, but who are already graduated and are out there in the real world. Those are among the weakest, highly skewed generalizations to describe people who smoke pot.

You need to learn the difference between those with dependant/addictive personalities and those who partake in a substance for purely recreational and pleasurable means. People with addiction problems can get hooked on anything (substances, sex, addrenaline, to the point where it ruins their life. They are too weak to deal with things on their own, and it's oftentimes a result of family history and the nature of ones upbringing. This isn't saying that things like peer pressure at a young age don't exist..they very much do, and there are people out there who cave and try it from too much chiding or coersion. Certainly not characteristic of the whole demographic that's tried the drug. But saying people who smoke pot are like every other substance user is both uneducated and flat out wrong. Please save your guarantees.

On a related note..I'm glad Peemonkey knows enough to not buy into ridiculous propaganda which has been around for years, ever since a little thing called the War on Terror began.

T-Money
October 7, 2005, 11:36 pm
There is a difference between a recreational and a habitual user, as you pointed out. However, it is quite possible for a recreational user to shift towards begin a habitual user. I've seen many friends go along this path, and it's not impossible even for people who have a strong will against such things. You don't have to be weak to get addicted.

lastpatriot
October 8, 2005, 12:01 am
I like my signature.

Vijchtidoodah
October 8, 2005, 12:11 am
Although I've never heard the term "Pot Heads" used to refer to my kind of people, I'll say that I am thoroughly addicted to pottery. Yes, you can be a recreational user, but you'll find that the more kitchen utensils you make, the more you want to make them -- leading to a downward spiral of bowls, cutlery, and intimate sexual encounters with Patrick Swayze.

You will also find adverse side-effects such as yellow-stained fingernails, dirty clothes, and equestrian side-kicks.

It's a difficult drug to break free from, but the only way to stay drug free is to educate children about the evils of mankind before the street pushers get them hooked at a young age.

Michal
October 8, 2005, 12:49 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist
You, sir, have a very biased and backwards understanding of the drug. I smoke pot, are you going to try and tell me I'm afraid of being rejected, or that I can't handle reality? Maybe you'd like to tell that to the many people I know not only following their education for a real world career while smoking pot, but who are already graduated and are out there in the real world. Those are among the weakest, highly skewed generalizations to describe people who smoke pot.

You need to learn the difference between those with dependant/addictive personalities and those who partake in a substance for purely recreational and pleasurable means. People with addiction problems can get hooked on anything (substances, sex, addrenaline, to the point where it ruins their life. They are too weak to deal with things on their own, and it's oftentimes a result of family history and the nature of ones upbringing. This isn't saying that things like peer pressure at a young age don't exist..they very much do, and there are people out there who cave and try it from too much chiding or coersion. Certainly not characteristic of the whole demographic that's tried the drug. But saying people who smoke pot are like every other substance user is both uneducated and flat out wrong. Please save your guarantees.

So the first time you tried it, that day you got up and decided, "I'm going to smoke weed today", right?
Probably not. Someone most likely handed you a joint, for whatever reason, you tried it.
This is the situation most pot users are faced with, they never would have done it if they were not presented with that situation in the first place.

I'm not saying that pot users are all failures, academic or otherwise, but they are people who weren't strong enough to resist it in the first place.

And yes, users of any drug are too weak to face reality. The reality is that in life you don't get high from inhaling some [CENSORED], you get high from hard work and being good to people. You have to earn it.

Simply put, it's a waste of money, time, and health.

System_Decay
October 8, 2005, 12:51 am
People
Often
Think
Heaven
Exists
After
Ddeath

Yep....

karmazon
October 8, 2005, 12:56 am
pot is for kids that get teabagged in the school showers

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 1:09 am
people get funny when they smoke pot, nothing happens to me for some reason?

Vijchtidoodah
October 8, 2005, 2:22 am
There are certain people who don't get high for the first time or so...

quote:I'm not saying that pot users are all failures, academic or otherwise, but they are people who weren't strong enough to resist it in the first place.

Just like you weren't strong enough to resist all those presents you got on your multiple birthdays throughout the years, eh?

Seriously, that's a [CENSORED] argument. "Not strong enough to resist it" assumes that a person wants to resist it, like you probably do -- and that's just you projecting your ideals onto other people. And the only reason you "resist" it is probably because you've been told that it's a terrible thing.

Harmful? It's really not all that bad for you. Alcohol damages your body more than weed does.

Addictive? Cheese is more addictive than weed. And that wasn't a joke at all.

Only for depressed people? Then maybe we should ban emo music...actually, that's not such a bad idea.

The Geologist
October 8, 2005, 2:31 am
So the first time you tried it, that day you got up and decided, "I'm going to smoke weed today", right?
Probably not. Someone most likely handed you a joint, for whatever reason, you tried it.
This is the situation most pot users are faced with, they never would have done it if they were not presented with that situation in the first place.

I'm not saying that pot users are all failures, academic or otherwise, but they are people who weren't strong enough to resist it in the first place.

And yes, users of any drug are too weak to face reality. The reality is that in life you don't get high from inhaling some [CENSORED], you get high from hard work and being good to people. You have to earn it.

Simply put, it's a waste of money, time, and health.

Before I begin...just know that there are no hard feelings in this. ;D

There's a difference between trying something voluntarily or out of interest and lacking the strength to say no to it. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you. This whole "you tried it so you're automatically weak" reasoning is just garbage. How am I weak if I'm trying something I don't view in a negative light? It'd be like calling me weak for eating a tastey cup cake for the first time. Personally, I was curious, I wanted to try it, and I did. That's how I've lived my life and I've never done anything less. If people were fed a little less BS and told the honest truth about pot instead of getting a bunch of propoganda like "Osama is poisoning the crops", then perhaps they'd have a better means with which to determine if they will or won't take that first hit, and perhaps they wouldn't need to be curious. Knowing the truth would go a long way to strengthen ones resolve in the decision making process. But no...people get fed a stream of crap, propoganda, and lies...businesses sell drugs that are many more times as lethal and deadly every day of the week. Anyone else see how backwards this is?

You even said you've tried it in your first post, so do you include yourself among the weak? You should. I mean, it'd just be hypocritical of you to smoke pot and then call everyone else but yourself who smoked it weak willed. You also better never drink or smoke, because you'll be even weaker. And please...don't lecture me on how to earn highs, I do it every day with or without pot, and I'm a good person. It's just blanket statements such as the ones you've been making that annoy me to no end, because they're not correct. You can believe it all you want to, but not everyone who uses/tries a drug has problems with reality or lacks some kind of will power. There are definately weak willed users, but that is not every user. It's a personal insult to be told you're weak willed when you know you're more than that. I enjoy putting down the pipe for months at time and clearing myself out, and see little difference between the high I get climbing and that I get from friends and a pipe.

Never have I said that pot was 100% good, no ills, no side effects. Of course it has it's draw backs...not good for the lungs, obviously. Eats up the cash. But compare it to some of the most perfectly legal and highly profitable drugs sold world wide. Cigs have killed millions, alcohol millions, but pot? How many deaths from pot do you ever hear about? Not a single death from overdosing on pot, but just last week the town I live in saw nine girls in the hospital for drinking too much. Pot isn't like heroine, it's not like alcohol, or cocaine. These are the drugs that strip away peoples will and strength, that shatter lives and kill people - pot leaves you sitting on the couch eating brownies all afternoon.

Please don't get me wrong mere my friend..I do not mean to flame or insult. But this is something feel very strongly about. If ever there was a substance or people that did not deserve such a bad rap, it's pot and "potheads". Pot was a life changing experience for me, in a very profound and good way. It pulled the stick out of my ass (some people might not buy that one lol :p) and turned me on to life itself. It helped turn me on to nature, to art, to music, to things I had once been interested in but lacked the esteem and push to really get into them. Kinda helped me to just laugh and roll along with life to truely enjoy it. So you see...I feel as though I wouldn't be doing this plant justice if I didn't try and stick up for it.

Since this post is getting way too long..I'll end with this. Trying things as they come along is part of life. Choosing to say no is also a part of it, but leads you down a different path. If you choose not to smoke it, that's great...I'm all the happier for you or whomever else makes the choice. All I ask is that the same degree of respect is leveled to those who do smoke it, because not everyone who does so is weak willed or deserving of such a bum rap. It's unfortunate that I can only speak for a portion of the pot culture, and not the whole. To do so would be an obvious mistake and overgeneralization.

In short, there's a time and place for everything...it's called college.

Thank you.

Edit: Damn you Vijch, being more sussinct than me >:(

Vijchtidoodah
October 8, 2005, 5:33 am
Hahaha! You should've learned by now that the people who frequent these forums won't read much more than a paragraph per post anyway...

The Geologist
October 8, 2005, 8:07 am
I know that...but I shant let my message be degraded by tiny posts.

Captain Ben
October 8, 2005, 8:20 am
I just read it, and my eyes are bleeding.
I've never smoked weed, smoked ciggies, or done any kind of drug. The only thing I do is drinking, and that's not something I'm proud of. Apparently, I'm an episodic alcoholic or something, meaning that when I drink, I have to get drunk.
But frogboy and Jap Man know the story.

.alex.oner.
October 8, 2005, 11:27 am
eh.. i've skim read through this thread, didn't see it earlyer.. i saw someone saying on how one could get addicted to weed, well that is completely un-true, to become physically dependent on weed is like a 0.2% chance of happening.. i myself am a heavy user of 'pot' and other drugs, in some cases alot harder drugs, but i dont go around looking like a skag-head in ripped jeans and a dirty stained t-shirt, which i think the stereotypical apperance is of a 'drug user'.. oh, and when i was little, say around 10 years old, i said i was never going to drink, smoke, or use drugs, almost 6 years later on alot of things have changed.. i never saw anyone smoking weed when i was little, just like someone said more like 80% dont smoke it, but when you get older and hang out with different groups, you will notice almost everyone smokes it.. even my dad, step mum, and sister smoke it, all of my friends, all of my dads friends, and probably a lot more people.. but still if you really want to believe its the other way around with only 80% not smoking it.. take a trip to amsterdam and blaze up for 420!

edit:
ps/ i think the sig thing your trying to do is real ghey, and you're only doing it to show off to everyone on this site cause you got saves on a joint, and now you think you're a hardcore smoker.. IMO

Michal
October 8, 2005, 4:35 pm
quote:Seriously, that's a [CENSORED] argument. "Not strong enough to resist it" assumes that a person wants to resist it, like you probably do -- and that's just you projecting your ideals onto other people. And the only reason you "resist" it is probably because you've been told that it's a terrible thing.
You should want to resist it, because it is a stupid thing to do, these are not my ideals it is fact.
I am a fairly logical person, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want smoke weed.
If you weigh the costs and benefits it looks something like this:
Costs: health, money, time, (not to mention legality)
Benefits: feels good.
Lots of things feel good, but they are not worth doing if the costs heavily outweigh the benefit.
And spare me the "lesser evil" crap. It may not be as bad as other things, but it doesn't mean you should do it.

Geo, you have a wonderful ability to use many words, but say very little. It's good for English class, but it's annoying for other forumers to read... but I'll try to counter your points as best as I can.

quote:There's a difference between trying something voluntarily or out of interest and lacking the strength to say no to it. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you. This whole "you tried it so you're automatically weak" reasoning is just garbage. How am I weak if I'm trying something I don't view in a negative light? It'd be like calling me weak for eating a tastey cup cake for the first time. Personally, I was curious, I wanted to try it, and I did. That's how I've lived my life and I've never done anything less. If people were fed a little less BS and told the honest truth about pot instead of getting a bunch of propoganda like "Osama is poisoning the crops", then perhaps they'd have a better means with which to determine if they will or won't take that first hit, and perhaps they wouldn't need to be curious. Knowing the truth would go a long way to strengthen ones resolve in the decision making process. But no...people get fed a stream of crap, propoganda, and lies...businesses sell drugs that are many more times as lethal and deadly every day of the week. Anyone else see how backwards this is?

Like I said above, you should have not wanted to do it because it is a stupid thing to do. Maybe you are an exception, but all of the smokers I know had no intention of doing weed before others pressured them into it.
And yes, it's the lesser of many evils, but it's still an evil.
I agree, the "Osama is poisoning the crops" thing is bull[CENSORED], i've heard the same story for other drugs. I'm sure Osama (who's actually dead, but that's a different story...) has better things to do then try to take care of America's drug problems.
The fact is, it is unhealthy. I could go into all the negative health effects but I don't want to write a god-damn essay.

quote:You even said you've tried it in your first post, so do you include yourself among the weak? You should. I mean, it'd just be hypocritical of you to smoke pot and then call everyone else but yourself who smoked it weak willed. You also better never drink or smoke, because you'll be even weaker. And please...don't lecture me on how to earn highs, I do it every day with or without pot, and I'm a good person. It's just blanket statements such as the ones you've been making that annoy me to no end, because they're not correct. You can believe it all you want to, but not everyone who uses/tries a drug has problems with reality or lacks some kind of will power. There are definately weak willed users, but that is not every user. It's a personal insult to be told you're weak willed when you know you're more than that. I enjoy putting down the pipe for months at time and clearing myself out, and see little difference between the high I get climbing and that I get from friends and a pipe.
I think you misinterpreted my post. I never have smoked anything and never will.

Ok, sorry. I should clarify: people try pot out of weakness and/or stupidity.
quote:Never have I said that pot was 100% good, no ills, no side effects. Of course it has it's draw backs...not good for the lungs, obviously. Eats up the cash. But compare it to some of the most perfectly legal and highly profitable drugs sold world wide. Cigs have killed millions, alcohol millions, but pot? How many deaths from pot do you ever hear about? Not a single death from overdosing on pot, but just last week the town I live in saw nine girls in the hospital for drinking too much. Pot isn't like heroine, it's not like alcohol, or cocaine. These are the drugs that strip away peoples will and strength, that shatter lives and kill people - pot leaves you sitting on the couch eating brownies all afternoon.
Again with the "lesser evil" argument... It's surprisingly popular among "pot heads" ;P

I know the smokers here really want to justify why they do it, but it is simply a stupid thing to do. It's not worth the superficial, temporary high.
I'm not preaching to convince current uses to stop, I just want to give my opinion to those who have not done it.

LazehBoi
October 8, 2005, 4:58 pm
Remember guys. Pot enhances your creativity!
lawl

SuperKill
October 8, 2005, 5:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by T-MoneyAll the pot in the world is grown by all-american hicks.

yeah, just like everyone in the world can speak flawless english.

Hitman
October 8, 2005, 6:26 pm
Michal, most of your arguments aren't making any sense. I acknowledge its negative affect on your health, which is obvious, as with any other substances such as alcohol and cigarettes; and yet people still choose to do them. Many things we do today have health risks but have nothing to do with us being stupid. It's just part of everyday life. However, health issues aside, why is it stupid?

I was never pressured into trying weed. Although over time I finally decided to try it, I had always been curious about it. As you grow older your opinions regarding certain things change.

Your claim that people 'do it cause they can't face reality' is complete bull[CENSORED]. Pot is just a silly, fun little drug, but in no way is it some substitute for some people's lack of confidence. It's awful speaking to people who are not stoned when you are, for example the cashiers at shops, etc. You always mumble and take ages to decide on anything. What my friends (those that do pot) and I always find ourselves in is a 10 min discussion outside the shop about whether or not we can 'face it'. It's pretty funny actually. Pot is defiantly not a confidence booster.

However, if I were to build on from your "point" about people doing it 'cause they can't face reality', I could say it's another way of relaxing. How do you relax? People read books, watch movies and tv shows and through these media they escape reality, live someone else's life for however long the duration of the show/movie. When the cinema became a popular media in the 1920's it was seen as "The great escape from reality", especially during the depression. To my main point, pot is just a way of relaxing, it's fun and makes you laugh. If you want to see it as an escape from reality, then it's about as much as watching a film.

SuperKill
October 8, 2005, 6:27 pm
i thought people turn emo cause they cant face reality.

Alamo
October 8, 2005, 6:42 pm
I'm so sorry, to have ruined your sig :( (Was I the first to do that? :)

?
October 8, 2005, 7:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by System_DecayPeople
Often
Think
Heaven
Exists
After
Ddeath

Yep....

Wow a religious joke... original...

Anyway I don't smoke but I would say 98% of the people are Arby's do. One guy that got fired is hooked on cociane I heard. Seeing a dude that gets high at work really makes me want to stay away from it as much as ai can, guess he looks like a total idiot when he is high.

Vijchtidoodah
October 8, 2005, 9:07 pm
Once again, Hitman hits the argument dead on...

Michal, you misunderstood part of my post. I wasn't talking about any "lesser evil crap," I was illustrating the point that many accepted things you do are just the same as other "normal" activities you do or substances you ingest.

By your logic, we should ban everything that's harmful. But what you don't understand is that almost everything you do is harmful to your body -- that's a part of living. Hell, you can't even eat a cheeseburger without clogging your arteries and absorbing an ounce of carcinogens.

"You should want to resist it, because it is a stupid thing to do, these are not my ideals it is fact."

You're absolutely right. Smoking weed is a stupid thing to do. But so is believing in something so strongly that you won't even consider any alternative views on it.

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 12:16 am
When I was in middle school (grades 7-8) I thought the same, no one I knew tried it.

Forgive me...but perhaps you should phrase your posts more clearly if you don't want people thinking you've tried something? When it says you've tried it? Anyhow...please, have the common sense to keep it above petty comments and stay on topic. If it annoys you, don't bother.

There's little use discussing it with you...like talking to a brick wall in a way, perhaps you feel somewhat similar? You think it's an evil, I don't. You're arguement regarding "you shouldn't have tried it because it's still stupid", aside from being groundless, just tells me you havn't even considered what myself or others have said, but that's your choice. My arguement was never completly focused on the lesser of two/three evils stance..it's only a part of the arguement, which is truth. But in all reality you don't know what most smokers here want to do, because you're so passionately not one of them, so please don't try to talk for both sides. It's not just a "stupid, superficial high" to all those that choose to try it. I'd just as easily refer you to what Hitman said in this topic and stop wasting my time. You'd just as soon pick up a stance against any other way to escape reality.

Edit: Not saying I don't see your opinion ;D

Michal
October 9, 2005, 1:07 am
Sorry if I was unclear, English isn't my first language after all ;p

Ah well, it seems the discussion is going nowhere and I don't want to get too repetitive, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 1:30 am
S'okay...I know plenty of people like yourself actually. Some good friends. You can't always convince everyone of your views, but you can still enjoy their company none the less. :D

Famine
October 9, 2005, 2:03 am
quote:Please don't get me wrong mere my friend..I do not mean to flame or insult. But this is something feel very strongly about. If ever there was a substance or people that did not deserve such a bad rap, it's pot and "potheads". Pot was a life changing experience for me, in a very profound and good way. It pulled the stick out of my ass (some people might not buy that one lol :p) and turned me on to life itself. It helped turn me on to nature, to art, to music, to things I had once been interested in but lacked the esteem and push to really get into them. Kinda helped me to just laugh and roll along with life to truely enjoy it. So you see...I feel as though I wouldn't be doing this plant justice if I didn't try and stick up for it.

Isn't this a sign of weakness. I am all for legalizing weed, get high if you want to, but I find this hypocritical. You are not weak, but you needed weed to spark real interest into your life. In comparison to someone who doesn't need weed to realize nature and such, you are weaker. You needed a stimulant that others had naturally. Smoke pot if you want to, but if it was beneficial to realize something that is a given to another person, then you are weaker.

quote:They are too weak to deal with things on their own, and it's oftentimes a result of family history and the nature of ones upbringing.

I believe you brought into "propaganda" here as well. Isn't it a weakness to blame society for one's ills? We need to have self-responsibility in order to overcome our weaknesses. It is easy to point fingers, but hardly gets a damn thing done. As well, there is no evidence linking nurture to habits. I feel it is a mixture of nature and nurture that ultimately make us who we are, but I don't, atleast try not to, point fingers. We are only human though.

quote:Anyhow...please, have the common sense to keep it above petty comments and stay on topic. If it annoys you, don't bother.

Isn't it petty to point out his syntax errors on the internet, especially when you are grammatically incorrect as well with a few spelling errors. Hell, everyone is! No one is going to review their internet posts to perfection.

quote:But so is believing in something so strongly that you won't even consider any alternative views on it.

Since when is having conviction stupid? I'd rather argue with the most extreme liberal who actually believes in his views than argue with a indecisive [CENSORED] who says "You may be right" all the time. It takes more sense to stand by your morals than detracting from them. In fact, this statement is inherently hypocritical. All "tolerance" statements are. We have to look past other people's views if they conflict with ours. Logic like this would turn the would into a bunch of "tolerant" nuts blowing each other.

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 2:28 am
1) Read over my posts again..you missed a few points.
2) I was talking about the nature of his comment, not if it was correct or free of errors. There's a difference. There was no mention of any errors..were you even reading my post? If you want a post about errors, then I'll tell you I don't know what incorrent means and tell you to try again.
3) You'd be suprised how many of our actions stem from family history and upbringing. Some people have no choice when it comes to their addictive, alcoholic, or sexual habits. They're screwed by genetics or prior abuse and they get the short end of the stick. Learning about your problem is the key to overcoming it, and I never said anything to the contrary. It's not propoganda, it's from the lips of trained medical addiction specialists who see this sort of behavior on a day to day basis.
4) I didn't "need" weed to spark my interest in the areas..it was one of a couple catalysts that spurned me on to them though, and that I do not deny. I've been in nature/the great outdoors since my earliest memories...perhaps that's why I didn't see it as anything that grand. But a few nights around the camp fire with some good friends, a pipe, a drink, or whatever else and miles of emptyness in every direction turned me onto things I've never thought of before. Yeah..that sounds real weak to me. :/

Edit: Apparently people do review their internet posts to perfection, since your "incorrent" became "incorrect" in the minutes after you posted.

Edit 2: Talk to anyone who deals with abused individuals and them come back to me and tell me there's no link between nurture to habits.

Famine
October 9, 2005, 2:38 am
1. Read over MY posts, you didn't understand everything. Ahh, cop outs are great!
2. As I stated, I was not perfect. I did not correct you or Michal. If you convey something through the english language, and it comes out wrong it is usually a syntax error.
3. And doctors with diplomas remove "alien objects". They have no proof, but I suppose since they have a PhD, they are correct. Even if you had a quote from the specialist, it does not make him right. Extraordinary claims take extraordinary evidence. Unless this trained professional plans on buying a few fetuses and subjecting them into controlled family environments, I say he has no proof.
4. quote:I didn't "need" weed to spark my interest in the areas..it was one of a couple catalysts that spurned me on to them though, and that I do not deny.

So, you did need it to gain this knowledge at a faster rate. A knowledge which some humans are born with or come upon without drugs. I still think it qualifies as a weakness. Oh well, your parents and DNA are to blame because a doctor said it!

quote:Edit: Apparently people do review their Internet posts to perfection, since your "incorrent" became "incorrect" in the minutes after you posted.

I didn't REVIEW, I corrected. You pointed out an error and I fixed it. I did not revise it before I posted. Even if I did, I do not see the harm in that, I just do not expect everyone to.

quote:
Edit 2: Talk to anyone who deals with abused individuals and them come back to me and tell me there's no link between nurture to habits.

These "professionals" are looking at each case at a time without any constant or variables. No truth can be defined from personal opinion. I stated that I felt nurture did effect individuals, but it was not solely that. There are other variables that come into play. How does blaming a source help overcome struggles?

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 3:08 am
Bull[CENSORED]. These "professionals" treat people every day to the point where they can predict to a "T" what kind of abusive history these individuals have had based upon their current addictions and problems. It's not rocket science, but it is (for the most part) a proven fact that the things which hurt an individual in childhood become sources of interest and attraction later on in life. I can't say it's 100% because there are people out there who demonstrate behaviors of abused individuals who weren't actually abused. But that proportion of society isn't enough to turn the tables or make these trends any less realistic. The fact they have a PhD isn't what makes them right, it is the constant influx of f*cked up people who share common trends in their family upbringing and history, and in turn common problems of addiction and compulsion, that do so. These "constants or variables" are very well defined. The constants include (but are not limited to) abusive/neglectful parents, divorce and the loss of a parent figure at an early age, molestation by nearly anyone, and a host of other problems which, if identified, can point to a clear path of problems down the road. Addiction medicine and treatment clinics wouldn't exist if we cound't recognize common links between past history and current behavior.

If you've read what I've said then you should know that I don't so simply blame it all on upbringing and family history and say "Oh, there's nothing I can do!". But both are key in what you become, and if you have problems you have to look at those things to know what you need to do to get over the problem. You have to achknowledge their importance to undersand the nature of your problem.

You've only made two posts (now)..I read 'em both, no cop outs there. Just wanted you to at least understand what I said and not respond based off a skewed conception of my opinion. I know you've got a good head on your shoulders, but I do hold you up to a certian standard buddy ;D

There are plenty of people who don't like nature, who don't like to camp, who don't like this that and the other. This "faster rate" talk is nothing applicable...I've already said it was one of a couple reasons for my increased interest, how much more clearly do I have to break it down? I believe I would have reached the same outcome without weed over time, especially with the friends I've made. As I've said, it helped..it lended a hand..made my smile and laugh that much more..it's not that hard. In my experience it is undeniable that the presence of pot made my experiences that much more pleasurable. Whether or not it was the cause for creating a "faster rate" of interest..possibly..but that's no weaker than if I admitted I got into geology becaus I liked to look at crystals. Or if I were to say that John Q. Public got into bullriding because he/she likes the attention. Heck, if we came down on everyone who developed an interest in a certain area through their experiences leading up to that point, we would have no ground with which to try out anything new.

Famine
October 9, 2005, 3:58 am
The only way to get a true constant in studying human behavior is almost impossible. Society would not even agree with this social experiment. Psychologists don't have one answer for every tragic event. Raped victims may have similar symptoms but aren't all the same. Isn't this proof enough that events do shape us, but they don't make up 100 percent of us!

quote:The constants include (but are not limited to) abusive/neglectful parents, divorce and the loss of a parent figure at an early age, molestation by nearly anyone, and a host of other problems which, if identified, can point to a clear path of problems down the road. Addiction medicine and treatment clinics wouldn't exist if we couldn't recognize common links between past history and current behavior.

Do you KNOW what constants are? If you did, you certainly wouldn't have listed these. These are variables! To ascribe these as constants is foolish. The constant would have to be a child, but since no human is the same, we cannot have a constant. People react different to certain situations, even as babies. Humans are not empty entities waiting to be assigned traits by their parents. Yes, we are "assigned" them by are parents, but not directly. These traits that we are born with show us that we react different to the same situation. To have a true constant, we would have to clone two kids so and set two controls in a "normal" environment. Then insert the other sets of clones into willing families. Psychology can only give us so much insight, but no proof. We can look at statistics and symptoms, but we cannot dictate how a person will turn out solely on traumatic events.

Vijchtidoodah
October 9, 2005, 4:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Famine
Isn't this a sign of weakness....I find this hypocritical. You are not weak, but you needed weed to spark real interest into your life. In comparison to someone who doesn't need weed to realize nature and such, you are weaker. You needed a stimulant that others had naturally. Smoke pot if you want to, but if it was beneficial to realize something that is a given to another person, then you are weaker.

A weak person is one who is too afraid to go out and experience things. Geologist's "stimulant" is weed as well as rock climbing and studying geology.

In case that wasn't clear enough, I'm highlighting the fact that you use "stimulants" all the time. Whether it's the food you eat, the trip out into the country so that you can hike around, or sitting online arguing with people -- it's all the same.

It's impossible to go through life without the things that make you happy (your "stimulants") for the very reason that you're wired to love the things that keep you alive.

quote:Originally posted by Faminequote:Originally posted by VijchtiDoodahBut so is believing in something so strongly that you won't even consider any alternative views on it.

Since when is having conviction stupid? I'd rather argue with the most extreme liberal who actually believes in his views than argue with a indecisive [CENSORED] who says "You may be right" all the time.

There is something wrong with a person when they lock out the rest of the world -- in any case. But let's delve into this a bit deeper:

It's fine to have moral views on things that you don't want changed. But not even considering any other perspective while attempting to force those views on other people is wrong. You could say something about how I'm trying to force my ideals on other people -- and I am -- but I've taken the time to listen to other people and reassess my stance on the point throughout the years.

And it's not indecisive to change your opinion. Indecisive is not knowing which side of an argument to choose when the subject comes up. Changing your opinion deals with considering all alternatives and, if you happen to agree with an opposing side at that point in time, you decide which point of view you want and you take it.

You might be right. Perhaps believing in something "just because" is the way that it should be. But you make a [CENSORED] argument for it, and I've decided to keep my ideals.

By the way, there isn't a liberal anywhere who fits your description of one -- a liberal, by definition, is someone who is open to other people's opinions.

quote:We have to look past other people's views if they conflict with ours.

There is an inherent problem with that statement and that's that people often act upon their views. In fact, there are very few beliefs that people don't act on.

So what if your neighbor is a cannibal and thinks that it's perfectly normal to eat everyone in the neighborhood. Are you just going to pretend that nothing is going on?

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 5:14 am
Fair enough...I'd rather not argue so much with people whos company I have taken a liking to. Was fun at first, but it's getting old. Psychology is not my domain...just heard plenty of things to make me believe in those constants over variablity. Good game, thanks, buh bye.

Edit: quote:It's not rocket science, but it is (for the most part) a proven fact that the things which hurt an individual in childhood become sources of interest and attraction later on in life. I can't say it's 100% because there are people out there who demonstrate behaviors of abused individuals who weren't actually abused. But that proportion of society isn't enough to turn the tables or make these trends any less realistic.

Perhaps I should have used a better word than constant..heat of the moment sort of thing. My own amount of experience in the matter is somewhat moot if I lack the "official" say, I think, and I can only attest to such things in an empirical sense.

Haro1121
October 9, 2005, 5:49 am
People think that everyone who smokes weed is like some hypocritical white trash 24/7 pot smoker its not a addictive drug. its a "gateway drug" its used to get away and not think about the problems at hand or just to relax. I my Self Smoke Pot but not so much as to get away from problems just to get away in general. Im not dependant on it but hey got it want it Blaze it up

-DJ_Fade-

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 6:02 am
I think I need to do more research! Does anyone have a copy of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle?

kylerlandry
October 9, 2005, 7:03 am
I'm pretty sure my good friend Limewire has one on hold for you kind sir.

KiKAzz
October 9, 2005, 7:25 am
quote:Originally posted by Haro1121People think that everyone who smokes weed is like some hypocritical white trash 24/7 pot smoker its not a addictive drug. its a "gateway drug" its used to get away and not think about the problems at hand or just to relax. I my Self Smoke Pot but not so much as to get away from problems just to get away in general. Im not dependant on it but hey got it want it Blaze it up

-DJ_Fade-

Well it can be used to releive pain and bad things in your body but that is for medical use and you need a perscription. But if you think about using it, you shouldn't leave your home (obviously), unless you want a ride to the station by the cops since your all bloodshot and all.

You can be addicted too it, because i've seen no person try it and stopped all of a sudden, they'll just keep going, and going, and going, just like the energizer bunny but more like energizer pothead.

Recently the the newspapers, i've always seen articles of grow-ops or weed selling and that knid of stuff. Alot of people must like that stuff, counting if you see most car crimes, their drug addicts that need money.

Me myself, don't want to get near that stuff. The only thing that is bad that I want to get near is beer. Anyways, i'm off to bed.

Vijchtidoodah
October 9, 2005, 9:51 am
Haro, "gateway drug" refers to the idea that, if you begin using weed, you'll suddenly be more likely to try other more harmful drugs. It's a gateway into hardcore drugdom, in a sense. Propaganda for most of the people I know, truth for a few.

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 5:19 pm
In the end, the truth is that there just isn't enough information on the effects of marijuana use. Even when an experiment or study is given governmental approval to be conducted, the cannibus supplied has very low levels of THC, which is the chemical that causes all the fuss in the first place.

I for one am personally against use of marijuana for recreational purposes, as there are plenty of better ways to indulge oneself. However, I also believe that the "war on drugs" needs to be focused more upon other, more dangerous drugs. I also acknowledge that cigarrettes are more addictive (addiction can actually be harder to break than cocaine addiction) and have more blatant health risks, as does alcohol.
The thing is, though, it's pretty much too late to do anything about tobacco and alcohol--the Prohibition years that gave birth to American organized crime are proof of that. The only way that their use can even be reduced is through effective education of upcoming youths; an inherently daunting task in a society based upon the idea of natural-born human rights.
This is why I believe that, until marijuana is given a true, objective clearance for use, it should remain an illegal substance. The consequences would not be pretty if pot were legalized, only for severe problems to be identified down the road, when it's too late to contain its use in any degree. It's a simple matter of "better safe than sorry."

As for an earlier comment about how I'm able to go through life without ever drinking a soda... It's pretty easy to resist any temptation to do something when there is no temptation to begin with. Soft drinks just don't hold any curiosity or appeal to me. The same goes for alcohol, cigarettes, and alcohol.

Lastly, as for the sig... While using the Internet as much as I do has, if anything, taught me that everyone around you holds secrets that you'll never know, I seriously doubt that the percentage of teens that have used pot is so high as 98%, and that it is especially ludicrous to take such a statistic seriously when there is no reference to support it. In short, it may easily be (and actually most likely is) some arbitrary number someone made up.

SuperKill
October 9, 2005, 5:19 pm
haro, note gateway drug, not getaway drug.

Famine
October 9, 2005, 5:50 pm
quote:
Perhaps I should have used a better word than constant..heat of the moment sort of thing. My own amount of experience in the matter is somewhat moot if I lack the "official" say, I think, and I can only attest to such things in an empirical sense.

Anything goes on the internet. Say what you will. I enjoy arguing with people like you, rather then someone giving in. When we are "debating" on this board, there really is not "official" say unless concrete sources are cited or documented cases are shown. All we are doing here is flexing our opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

SuperKill
October 9, 2005, 7:04 pm
FFS you people make "argueing" a [CENSORED]ing sport.
"ooh i love argueing with you"
"hey dont take offence from next arguement"
"i rather argue with you and not with others"
BLAH!
WTF is this bull[CENSORED]?

Famine
October 9, 2005, 9:32 pm
You are a [CENSORED]ing idiot. If you read my statement correctally, in implies that I would rather argue someone who is convicted than someone who isn't. I do not want to say one thing and the opponent given in because he wants to be "tolerant".

mar77a
October 9, 2005, 9:47 pm
"Harry Pothead & The Order of the Stoners"

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 10:11 pm
I thought it was Harry's a Pothead and the Sorceror's Stoned..

Outcast
October 9, 2005, 10:31 pm
I thought it was Harry and the escape from reality
But really, pot rocks, i had this sweet 18-filter-longer-than-cigare beast given to me for my birthday :D
17 of us smoked it and we were all so wasted. Twas nice ;>

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 11:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaI thought it was Harry's a Pothead and the Sorceror's Stoned..

Harry Pothead and the Party at Buckingham?

SuperKill
October 10, 2005, 10:20 am
quote:Originally posted by FamineYou are a [CENSORED]ing idiot. If you read my statement correctally, in implies that I would rather argue someone who is convicted than someone who isn't. I do not want to say one thing and the opponent given in because he wants to be "tolerant".

your point is?
the fact you people talk so much about argueing while you argue is the reason why i made that post.
but hey, i've damaged your online ego, so you gotta flame.

Outcast
October 10, 2005, 11:43 am
Let's rather argue about what's better; Hash or Weed!