( search forums )
Shaky Screen
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 6:15 am
I've talked to some people about this, and although a few people I know feel similar, most people don't seem to mind much. So this is practically a plea. :-p

I've been developing headaches lately; unable to play Soldat very long. I'm positive it's because of the shaky screen. Everytime a M79 or grenade goes off, the screen shakes, and it is really annoying for me to the point where I don't want to play Soldat just because of the screen shaking.

It almost feels like this has gotten considerably worse since 1.3, and that is when I really started thinking about the problem as a serious issue... I think this may be merely because people have been more fond of the M79 since 1.3, although it feels almost like the screen shakes for a longer duration now too.

As an alternative to the shaky screen, maybe the cursor could just shake, like a recoil action. Maybe even a selectable option between the two or something.

I hope it at least reaches consideration. I have to admit that this has gotten so frustrating for me lately that I even made a feeble attempt to search for some sort of hack to remove the shaking. Of-course, I found nothing :-p. I wonder how much it would cost to have someone build me a no-shake hack, or to bribe Michal into helping me disable it.... :-p

T-Money
October 7, 2005, 5:56 pm
Good idea. Maybe it could be an option to choose shaky screen or shaky cursor?

tRaQs
October 7, 2005, 8:49 pm
one would become better than the other, so it would have to be balanced, but yeah, a shaky cursor could work too.

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 7, 2005, 9:26 pm
Usually, the screen doesn't explode enough times to shake the screen to considerablly though, maybe you were playing on an WM server...

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 11:47 pm
Naw, it happens no matter where I play... :-( I never really used to notice it, but its slowly been bugging me more and more...

Alamo
October 8, 2005, 1:12 am
I don't notice the shaking at all... I don't see the necessity for an option to disable it.

i am ahab
October 8, 2005, 1:18 am
dude this is something i've never seen.....
and i've played on a 333 pentium 2, to a 2.6 p4....

can you elaborate more on the details? does it time perfectly with the deafening that occurs with a grenade or m79 shot?

it might be yr graphics card/drivers/etc...

(off topic) alamo are you the same person as boosta??!! i thought i saw something that said you were... apologies if not :/

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 10:01 am
Alamo, i am ahab: start a game, throw a grenade and stand still. The screen will shake at the moment of explosion. Just because you never noticed it doesn't mean it's not there. You could at least check it carefully in game before posting.
It wouldn't hurt to be able to choose cursor shake instead.

SERIAL KILLeR
October 8, 2005, 10:56 am
ehhh... you can disable it in the options tab : deselect "explosion effect"

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 11:16 am
"Explosion effect" tickbox is in the sound section, and controls only being deafened by nearby explosions (by playing humming sound and muting other sounds). It does nothing to shaking of screen.

SERIAL KILLeR
October 8, 2005, 12:02 pm
Oops..

i am ahab
October 8, 2005, 2:53 pm
lol it must be my battle harded wits that have learned to see through the shake. to ride the storm. to come out the other side screaming in a kilt.

or i dont pay enough attention. one of the two...

Chonoryoku
October 8, 2005, 4:37 pm
The only time I really notice is when I throw all my 3 Cluster bombs into the enemy base at once, or when 2 or more LAW missiles land next to me.

Koon
October 8, 2005, 5:03 pm
Ever played on a modded server where everyone is shooting fully auto cluster nade guns? The screen is constantly shaking and it pisses me off to no end.

Alamo
October 8, 2005, 5:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by QuantifierAlamo, i am ahab: start a game, throw a grenade and stand still. The screen will shake at the moment of explosion. Just because you never noticed it doesn't mean it's not there. You could at least check it carefully in game before posting.
It wouldn't hurt to be able to choose cursor shake instead.

Are you trying to piss me off? Read my post. I said I did not notice that effect. I did not say it's not there! I just said that it does not disturb me and that I don't see the necessity for it -.-

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 6:30 pm
"I don't notice at all" can mean both "not paying attention and ignoring" or "being unaware" of something, so i addressed my post to you as well. Shaking screen doesn't bother you, good for you, but it is there and disturbs other people.
I don't try to piss anybody off, and you shouldn't attack anybody because you didn't make yourself clear.

a-4-year-old
October 8, 2005, 8:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by KoonEver played on a modded server where everyone is shooting fully auto cluster nade guns? The screen is constantly shaking and it pisses me off to no end.

your still giving (WM)s a chance... i mourn for you

on topic: wow do you have medical issues, (sezures, other) take an asprin if you have a headace, and don't play with nade spammers or wms with crappy weapons mods. fixing the problem causes another one:

"As an alternative to the shaky screen, maybe the cursor could just shake, like a recoil action. Maybe even a selectable option between the two or something."

options options options... tisk tisk options like this give someone an advantage over someone else and we all know what happens when things are unfair
SPAMMINATION OF THE FORUMS!

here you go:
[IMAGE]

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 8:53 pm
The screen shakes?

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 9:19 pm
I was just playing to see if it really did, and I started of by nading myself and the screen didn't shake at all, so it's gotta be your computer or G-card

a-4-year-old
October 8, 2005, 10:08 pm
try the clusters, mabe somethings wrong with YOUR graphics card!!! O_O

xtishereb
October 8, 2005, 10:57 pm
The idea of this effect is to make it seem like the explosions are shaking the ground. In real life, you'd probably get a headache after a few 'nades exploded about 10 feet away from you, not that I've ever tried that. It hasn't gotten annoying to me at any time, but maybe I'm not being spammed hard enough.

On another note, the screen shakes when menus are up on my crap-tacular laptop from 2000. This is because the gfx card can't handle all that transparency, and starts flaking out. I actually thought this topic was about that kind of problem.

a-4-year-old
October 9, 2005, 3:47 am
how can you stand that mouse thing for soldat Ugg anything is better than my computer, but i don't have a crapola g-card (ha!) i just have some LAG on the forums especially the "lets try to post all the pics on my hard drive on one page!" topics

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 4:35 am
Wow, I just realized that the screen does actually shake... I hadn't noticed for a LONG time.