( search forums )
Lucid Dreams
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
SuperKill
October 7, 2005, 10:03 am
anyone ever had them and can tell something about it?

Captain Ben
October 7, 2005, 10:14 am
As described in Astral Odyssey by Carol Eby: A rare type of dream where the dreamer becomes aware that the experience is a dream as the dreaming mind understands its true condition. The dream continues and the waking mind gains control. Lucid dreams can typically lead to an astral projection.

Google be your friend.

Reading through the definition, I've realised I've had these before.
they're basically the same all the time, but I get dumped into water, stop breathing, realise its a dream, continue breathing, swim around for a while, and then wake up.

SuperKill
October 7, 2005, 11:05 am
um, i know what lucid dreams are, i just wanna hear some words from people who managed to have them. (exactly how real does it feal.. etc)

Milkman Dan
October 7, 2005, 11:15 am
I've heard about them. Apparantly there is a way to teach yourself to have them.

FliesLikeABrick
October 7, 2005, 12:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillum, i know what lucid dreams are, i just wanna hear some words from people who managed to have them. (exactly how real does it feal.. etc)

He wasn't telling you, he was putting the definition there because he had to look it up, and so that other people could see the definition

my roomate and i did a lot of reading about this last year and we both taught ourselves how to do it. He spent most of his time flying, and I don't remember most of what I did, except that I would wake up knowing i was in control

It feels just like a normal dream, which is obviously pretty realistic... I'm sure you've dreamt before, so there's really nothing special to explain.

If you google for "lucid dreaming" and "teach yourself to lucid dream" and other similar things, you'll come up with a lot of things about it, and I'm sure there are all kinds of books out there for it as well

DeMonIc
October 7, 2005, 1:20 pm
I've had quite a lot lucid dreams as a younger lad (like around ten, or even younger). The thing is, I had lucid dreams come in nightmares, but usually around halfway I noted "Wait, this is stupid.." and then took control.. I also remember a trick, that always the exact opposite happened of what I wanted, (must be connected with your sub-counsiance) so I achieved manipulations of my dreams by thinking "backwards". Felt real good, I was sad to note that it was only a dream.

Captain Ben
October 7, 2005, 1:29 pm
I always hated waking up and realising I didn't win the lottery.

MOFO NOFO
October 7, 2005, 2:17 pm
I always hate waking up and realising i didnt have sex with a pirate.

Captain Ben
October 7, 2005, 2:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFOI always hate waking up and realising i didnt have sex with a pirate.

Don't we all?

b00stA
October 7, 2005, 4:17 pm
I've read a few things about lucid dreams and I talked about it on IRC some time ago too..
Anyway, check out http://www.lucidity.com especially their FAQ. It's really good imho.

As for lucid dreams themselves.. I can't really teach myself to have them often, but then again I haven't been trying that much either.
Basically it's a normal dream but you're aware of the fact that you're dreaming, thus you can take control of things and do whatever you want. You could tell yourself that a person is standing around the corner. Walk around the corner and talk to that person. Ask the person to tell you a poem :)
You will end up listening to a poem you just made up without actually "doing" it.

Definitely worth looking into imho.

n00bface
October 7, 2005, 5:28 pm
I can't teach myself to have them, but I've had them loads of times. When I was young, I used to be able to wake up whenever I wanted, it was cool. And sometimes when I realize I'm dreaming, I have sex with lots and lots of people.

Swebonny
October 7, 2005, 5:36 pm
Yes i had 2 Lucid dreams :D And have tryed to learn how to makeĀ“em come more.

In the first dream i was like OMFG!!! I could walk where i wanted and i could talk and think. I realized i was sleeping then. Lol the first thing i did was many backflipes. Then i woke up and felt WTF. I Was like, was it a dream that i controlled? ROFL

In the second one ( alomost 1 month ago) I just walked and tryed to make my dream girl appear. But it didnot work and more i dont remmeber.

I have read Lucid lessions but its very hard to make thoose strange dreams.

But its fun( if you know what i am talking about ) :P

peemonkey
October 7, 2005, 6:38 pm
i tend to kill folk. i know it's a dream but i dont have real control over it. but it's rare, as i dont dream much. not that i dont remember them, i dont have em.

Rune
October 7, 2005, 7:11 pm
I used to have those when I was a kid. It was being able to control everything and being able to stop the dream at anytime. Now I don't dream at all

Swebonny
October 7, 2005, 7:29 pm
OMFG YOU ARE DEAD PPLS!!!

fcpidolo
October 7, 2005, 9:03 pm
i normally only have lucid dreams when i dream with the same thing twice (sometimes i actually remember on the dream that ive already done this, and know wat will happen next), making me able to do other stuff, according to wat i want. i cant change the way of my dream (like imagine a bfg in my hand), but i still know that in that place, something will happen, so i better get away from that place. resuming, i have lucid dreams after dreaming the same thing again, but i just cant change the will of them, just like being ina different world.

papasurf31
October 7, 2005, 9:35 pm
Yeah, I have sex with tons of my classmates, except that once my actual conscious mind takes over, the dreams very quickly deteriorate and I find myself awake. I think that once you realize what's happening is impossible, your mind forces the dream to dissappear.

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 10:16 pm
I know that Coast to Coast show thing talks about Lucid dreaming all the time.

Michal
October 7, 2005, 10:45 pm
I've always had lucid dreams and sleep paralysis...

I first started having lucid dreams in nightmares... I would dream that some monster was coming after me and then when I thought it could get me, it did. That's how I realized what I thought would actually happen. So later I developed some abilities other than just being conscious, like waking up on command, and changing the subject of a dream. But usually after gaining complete lucidity I would wake up, this would also lead to sleep paralysis...

Sleep paralysis is very freaky, I'll describe it for those who have never experienced it.
First, you come out of your dream and you are in your bed. You can look around but you can't move, let me make it clear that you are not awake, and most of the time you know it. Sometimes you are stuck in an ackward position, on your side or on you back, and sometimes it feels like you are stuck in a wall or sunken into your bed. I remember the first few times I would try to scream for someone to wake me since I thought it was real, but no one ever came. It's very scary. To actually awaken you have to rip yourself out of it (it is unpleasant, so you want to wake up), it's kind of hard to describe, you have to try to move your actual body but it's very difficult, sometimes you move in the dream state very slowly and strangely. I remember being stuck for what felt like hours, but over the years it becomes easier.

I always thought it was just a different kind of dream, but recently I've had an experience that has convinced me otherwise...
It was a few months ago, I dreamed I was in England walking by a highway. There was a small stream near the road and I waded into it, I was lucid by this time. On the water was a water strider or some other bug, I was staring at it and slowly I realized that I was staring at my wall, the insect was on it. I was in sleep paralysis but I didn't panic. I looked around a little, then pulled myself out of it. When I actually awakened I looked at the same spot on my wall, and I saw what I thought was the same insect, but actually it was an odd mark that really looked like a bug. I never noticed this mark before, there's no way in hell I could remember such a thing, I'm sure I was actually looking at it during the paralysis. So now I think sleep paralysis is more than just a dream. I strongly believe that it's an out of body experience.

karmazon
October 7, 2005, 10:52 pm
NO ITS ALIENS TAKING OVER EARTH

Deleted User
October 7, 2005, 10:59 pm
Holy crap Michal, I used to get that sleep paralysis. It did freaking suck. A few nights ago I was in that almost asleep but not quite yet stage, and then I just couldn't move. It was different this time because my eyesight was all shaky, and I could here something talking in my head. Now there werent any tvs on or anything and it was night time and i'm very sure I am not crazy. After I got out of it it happend 2 more times :/

karmazon
October 7, 2005, 11:06 pm
the coolest experience I got was when I took a nap but i wasnt dreaming about anything i wasnt even aware that of my existance then slowly i came to my senses, it felt like i was dead and all of a sudden i lived again

and then the world exploded

STEELIX
October 8, 2005, 1:35 am
Ah blah, after having heard ten presentations on it by every girl in your class, you'd be sceptical about it too.

T-Money
October 8, 2005, 1:52 am
One time I was real sick and I was awake but it felt like dreaming, it was [CENSORED]ing awesome. Never had this lucid dreams [CENSORED] though.

SuperKill
October 8, 2005, 2:31 am
quote:Originally posted by Michal
Sleep paralysis is very freaky, I'll describe it for those who have never experienced it.
First, you come out of your dream and you are in your bed. You can look around but you can't move, let me make it clear that you are not awake, and most of the time you know it. Sometimes you are stuck in an ackward position, on your side or on you back, and sometimes it feels like you are stuck in a wall or sunken into your bed. I remember the first few times I would try to scream for someone to wake me since I thought it was real, but no one ever came. It's very scary. To actually awaken you have to rip yourself out of it (it is unpleasant, so you want to wake up), it's kind of hard to describe, you have to try to move your actual body but it's very difficult, sometimes you move in the dream state very slowly and strangely. I remember being stuck for what felt like hours, but over the years it becomes easier.

[CENSORED] those things are scary as hell.
i've had those aswell, and reacted exactly as you did.. nobody came to my rescue aswell ;p
the best way to snap out of those sleep paralyzes is just to fall asleep again. you'll (fully) wake up after a minute or two in a normal way.

fcpidolo
October 8, 2005, 2:34 am
to me its quite easy to dream about wat i want, at least for some time. i simply think about it, until i finally fall asleep. most of the times, ill dream about it, until i wake up in the middle of the night. the only prob is that i never had a lucid dream when i tryed this (or at least i dont remember one). this mostly works when ur in love with a gal, and uve done something that might have changed...lets say a lot between u and her (for example, telling her that u love her). it will make u dream about her for some days actually, since u just keep thinking about it before u sleep.

of course, im talking about my experiences, and i actually dunno if it will work with everyone...but it worked with me <.< the dream part though, not the telling her everything part :|

Aquarius
October 8, 2005, 2:33 pm
I had lucid dreams many times. There are some simple exercises to make lucid dreaming happen more often, though my first lucid dream was spontaneous, I didn't even know about lucid dreams in the first time...

The problem is if you stop the exercises, you stop having lucid dreams. I got bored and stopped it, so now I don't have lucid dreams, well I rarely remember my dreams at all. It's not that great in my opinion.

m00`
October 8, 2005, 2:39 pm
i sometimes feel like im running and then i feel like i actually trip over i dont know how the hell but i wake up straight after that, what kind of dreaming is that? it actually feels so real that i wake up because i feel like i've hit somthing when i trip over

Melba
October 8, 2005, 4:00 pm
I tried to think about what i wanted to dream about yesterday, but i was too tired to consentrate so i dreamt about all my friends going around with medieval swords for some reason. And i remember i was jealous of some of the others, cause i couldn't put my sword in some kind of scabbard because of the shape of the sword handle. (wtf?)
Lots of my friends were there and my mom and i was dreaming about taking the drivers license.
The sword thing is weird, cause i don't remember looking at swords yesterday or in the last couple of days.
What i really wanted to dream about that night was me flying...

Maxx
October 8, 2005, 4:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`i sometimes feel like im running and then i feel like i actually trip over i dont know how the hell but i wake up straight after that, what kind of dreaming is that? it actually feels so real that i wake up because i feel like i've hit somthing when i trip over
I've had the same thing happpen, except I dream about falling off a cliff.

Very,very friking scary.

fcpidolo
October 8, 2005, 4:20 pm
lmao, i used to dream about falling off a building when i was like 6 or so, and it used to be the same dream over and over again. nowadays im afraid of highs and elevators :|

Captain Ben
October 8, 2005, 4:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Maxxquote:Originally posted by m00`i sometimes feel like im running and then i feel like i actually trip over i dont know how the hell but i wake up straight after that, what kind of dreaming is that? it actually feels so real that i wake up because i feel like i've hit somthing when i trip over
I've had the same thing happpen, except I dream about falling off a cliff.

Very,very friking scary.

I hate the waking up, feeling like I've slammed into my bed at a million miles an hour.

Famine
October 8, 2005, 7:26 pm
quote: So now I think sleep paralysis is more than just a dream. I strongly believe that it's an out of body experience.

I have had countless events like this. As well as two "OOBE", which I really don't believe that is what there are. I use to, until I did it. It probably is just a self induced trip and nothing more. It could be true, but if you want to prove it, do it with science. Don't just say you can see things that you couldn't if you were just dreaming. The only reason I still "OOBE" is because of the feeling. I seriously doubt I am floating around in different astral dimensions and will continue to do so until it is proven.

Deleted User
October 8, 2005, 7:54 pm
I don't see how sleep paralysis is an out of body experience. Whenever I had it I would also be in an ackward position that really hurt and i'd be stuck like that, but because this happend when I was smaller my parents were very close by. Most of the time it happend they would come if they woke up, and it seemd that I was awake while it happend.

a-4-year-old
October 8, 2005, 9:58 pm
alot of the time i am dreaming about something (always dreaming of standing normally) and just fall an have a total weightlessness... (not like slamming into my bed at 1million miles an hour) than normal almost like someone lifted me off my bed and droped me. (just a little bit)

This only happened like 2 times:
i wake up hot, really really hot. so hot i can't move, just sitting there until something happens,
there is nothing i can do, and i think when i could finally pull myself out i was still just as hot, one time i was lucky and there was a fan in my room, when i got to it, i turned it on, it was kind of like a shock of normal flowing through me, i went cold, and went to bed, it was like 45degrees outside that night (farenhight it was cold!)

b00stA
October 8, 2005, 10:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyi tend to kill folk. i know it's a dream but i dont have real control over it. but it's rare, as i dont dream much. not that i dont remember them, i dont have em.

You DO dream, you even have several dreams a night but you just don't remember the dreams. Trust me :)

If you really didn't dream (doesn't matter if you remember it or not) you'd become crazy after some time.

lastpatriot
October 8, 2005, 10:16 pm
I recall having 1, where I assaulted a bunch of kids I hate, then I made them fly around and do things of that nature. Then I woke up.

I wish I could have more of them, but they never seem to come. And I have bad memory, so I can't really do the dream recall.

Michal
October 8, 2005, 10:34 pm
Oh yeah, I forgot to say.
Sometimes I gain complete lucidity in a crappy dream. I want to wake up, but I can't. So I figured out an interesting method to get out of it...

The first time, I was dreaming that I was stranded outside a police station by a busy highway, the dream wasn't really going anywhere. I was just sitting in the grass thinking of waking up, but I couldn't. So I remembered that in most nightmares when I die, I wake up. So then I started trying to kill myself in the dream.
I ran into the highway and got run over by a truck, then I woke up.

It works pretty well, whenever I can't get out of a dream that takes place in my apartment I just run to the balcony and jump X)

Hitman
October 8, 2005, 10:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalI've always had lucid dreams and sleep paralysis...

I first started having lucid dreams in nightmares... I would dream that some monster was coming after me and then when I thought it could get me, it did. That's how I realized what I thought would actually happen. So later I developed some abilities other than just being conscious, like waking up on command, and changing the subject of a dream. But usually after gaining complete lucidity I would wake up, this would also lead to sleep paralysis...

I always thought it was just a different kind of dream, but recently I've had an experience that has convinced me otherwise...
It was a few months ago, I dreamed I was in England walking by a highway. There was a small stream near the road and I waded into it, I was lucid by this time. On the water was a water strider or some other bug, I was staring at it and slowly I realized that I was staring at my wall, the insect was on it. I was in sleep paralysis but I didn't panic. I looked around a little, then pulled myself out of it. When I actually awakened I looked at the same spot on my wall, and I saw what I thought was the same insect, but actually it was an odd mark that really looked like a bug. I never noticed this mark before, there's no way in hell I could remember such a thing, I'm sure I was actually looking at it during the paralysis. So now I think sleep paralysis is more than just a dream. I strongly believe that it's an out of body experience.
Interesting read.

Famine
October 9, 2005, 1:43 am
Interesting Read?

For fiction maybe, but fact? I see no real proof that would and should convince Michal to believe in OOBE's. I am not calling him stupid because I use to believe in pseudo-science and paranormal, but humans are impressionable.

quote:I never noticed this mark before, there's no way in hell I could remember such a thing, I'm sure I was actually looking at it during the paralysis. So now I think sleep paralysis is more than just a dream. I strongly believe that it's an out of body experience.

The human ability to see pictures out of randomness is called pareidolia. The fact that you had seen this "bug shaped" mark on a wall only shows that you formed evidence after the occurrence without any predictions. In fact, if you had been watching porno, you may have a seen something as a sexual reference. Even if the mark is connected to the mark, then it won't prove any OOBE occurrence. It just shows that you look at the mark before you go to bed. Even if you do not realize it, it is a much more logical explanation then your soul separating from your resting body. Your connection between two vague and unconnected instances is called apophenia.

Sleep paralysis is a section of sleep when your body is resting and your mind is still conscience. It is easy to "trick" yourself into sleep paralysis. Being in a deep relaxed state and maintaining concentration can give you a similar effect.

The absence of evidence does not debunk "theories", but a total lack of evidence does not give any support. Feelings are just that and are hard to justify. Your point of view is your own as is mine. I am trying to put it out there to see if you will gain any beneficial knowledge from it.

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 3:14 am
This thread is making me want to look at porn before I go to sleep.

Michal
October 9, 2005, 3:41 am
quote:Originally posted by FamineInteresting Read?

For fiction maybe, but fact? I see no real proof that would and should convince Michal to believe in OOBE's. I am not calling him stupid because I use to believe in pseudo-science and paranormal, but humans are impressionable.

quote:I never noticed this mark before, there's no way in hell I could remember such a thing, I'm sure I was actually looking at it during the paralysis. So now I think sleep paralysis is more than just a dream. I strongly believe that it's an out of body experience.

The human ability to see pictures out of randomness is called pareidolia. The fact that you had seen this "bug shaped" mark on a wall only shows that you formed evidence after the occurrence without any predictions. In fact, if you had been watching porno, you may have a seen something as a sexual reference. Even if the mark is connected to the mark, then it won't prove any OOBE occurrence. It just shows that you look at the mark before you go to bed. Even if you do not realize it, it is a much more logical explanation then your soul separating from your resting body. Your connection between two vague and unconnected instances is called apophenia.

Sleep paralysis is a section of sleep when your body is resting and your mind is still conscience. It is easy to "trick" yourself into sleep paralysis. Being in a deep relaxed state and maintaining concentration can give you a similar effect.

The absence of evidence does not debunk "theories", but a total lack of evidence does not give any support. Feelings are just that and are hard to justify. Your point of view is your own as is mine. I am trying to put it out there to see if you will gain any beneficial knowledge from it.

Sure, it's very possible that it was just my brain playing tricks. I'm not exactly sure what happened and I'll probably never know. But there are some other facts that compell me to believe that it's not just a dream...
In the paralysis, my room was in the exact state as it was when I woke up. The exact same weather (my bed was by a window), and exact same lighting. It could have all been a lucky guess by my brain.
It's wierd.. I don't have the answers, but I can think of possibilities.

Famine
October 9, 2005, 4:01 am
You aren't always aware when you wake up. Sound, small hints from sight, smell, and other factors could have been collected before you actually had enough sense to realize what state your room was in.

n00bface
October 9, 2005, 4:21 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalOh yeah, I forgot to say.
Sometimes I gain complete lucidity in a crappy dream. I want to wake up, but I can't. So I figured out an interesting method to get out of it...

The first time, I was dreaming that I was stranded outside a police station by a busy highway, the dream wasn't really going anywhere. I was just sitting in the grass thinking of waking up, but I couldn't. So I remembered that in most nightmares when I die, I wake up. So then I started trying to kill myself in the dream.

It works pretty well, whenever I can't get out of a dream that takes place in my apartment I just run to the balcony and jump X)

This used to work for me a couple years ago, but then suddenly whenever I tried doing it, I ended up "Waking up" into another dream :p If you know what I mean...Like, I would die..and then I would think I woke up, but it's really just another dream. The way I am able to wake up without killing myself now is "rotating my vision". I spin the whole dream upside down and even if I don't wake up the first time, I just do it over and over until I finally come out of my dream :o

Oh and about that "falling" thing - That happens to me too, but not in a dream. Usually RIGHT when I fall asleep (like within a minute) it will feel like my body just fell off a cliff and I will slam into my bed and shake the whole frame. It's actually kind of fun for me, since I get to feel weightless for 2 or 3 seconds. I wish I knew how to trigger that whenever I wanted..

Cookie.
October 9, 2005, 4:54 am
Heh the falling thing is weird :P You trip or something in a dream and try to break your fall but you wake up right when that happens and you like slam into the bed as n00bface said. Otherwise my dreams end up with lots of kinky sex ;) ;) ;) Bwahaha

DeMonIc
October 9, 2005, 8:41 am
I read about that making dream journal's thing, thinked about it for a moment, but then I realised that some of my dreams are.. better not to be remembered, especially written down.

And the falling thing.. I had like five dreams in my lifetime where I actually dreamt about falling, but countless others where I felt falling down like n00bface described. I'm terribly afraid of heights, I get dizzy when I look out the window of a building's third floor. Blah.

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 12:57 pm
Demonic, just for my entertainment, I'd pay for you to go skydiving!

fcpidolo
October 9, 2005, 1:41 pm
eh, today i had a really weird dream :| i dreamed that a thin stick (a normal, wood stick) was installing windows server 2002 (does that even exist oO?) on my pc. then i went to my gramma and asked her to burn it with a lighter, and she did (i saw it burning xD). i dont remember any other dreams today <.< and sadly it wasnt a lucid dream, or id test the pc with windows server 2002 :P

a-4-year-old
October 9, 2005, 5:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalOh yeah, I forgot to say.

well that doesn't really work for me cus i end up going to Heaven for a few minutes, i think onetime god was laughing at me and said i got dreampwned or something, it was pretty cool, the north where the ruby gates, south the pearly gates east where the saffire gates and west where the diamond gates, figures west is best :/
geologist will love it in heaven.

i don't usually try to kill myself in dreams, its like heaven is too sacred for me to go to every night after the "graphic" dreams i have.

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 11:50 pm
Does sleep walking count?
At camp I woke up, after slamming my face on a glass window. The teachers were laughing, saying they watched the whole thing. Apparently I was talking as well.

Rhombus
October 11, 2005, 8:15 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalI've always had lucid dreams and sleep paralysis...

put a camera in your room, pointed at your face... you make me believe sleep paralysis is sleeping with your eyes open.

m00`
October 11, 2005, 8:35 am
my mum said one night i got out of bed and got a knife and stood next to the door and kept repeating the word 'spread' then went back to sleep :D

The Geologist
October 11, 2005, 8:45 am
Huh..I wonder if I should be wondered after reading some of these posts, lol.

My lucid dreams have been rare. One in particular is clear in my head. The world was made of 3D shapes, like really old crappy 90's and early 3D stuff. Anyhow..I "spawned" on top of a building in the middle of this city, then ran of the edge and jumped..and fell to the ground. I hit the ground every time. My heart was racing up until the moment I hit, and then it was..calm. Very odd. I'd "respawn" and jump all over again. Sometimes in diffrent buildings, sometimes inside offices, jumping through glass, with people on the ground when I land..each time to stand up and walk away to do it again.

Other dreams were less controlled..as though I were part of a game. I could control my actions, but not totally..less lucid than others, but still interesting none the less.

n00bface
October 11, 2005, 9:16 am
quote:My heart was racing up until the moment I hit, and then it was..calm.
Something like that happens to me sometimes...Whenever I dream about water or anything similar, I usually end up jumping in the water and forgetting how to swim or something..and then I sink under and think I'm going to drown, but I end up being able to breath in the water lololol.