( search forums )
The Return Of 234235345 Is Not A Valid Integer
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Spas-Tard
October 8, 2005, 3:16 pm
Surprise surprise, there we are at work ready to fire up our lunchtime soldat killfest, and every one of us suddenly comes across the "nnnn is not a valid integer value" error.

Again.

What precisely is it in Soldat that makes this regularly happen to everyone, at the same time? Why has our erstwhile programmer still not managed to figure out what the hell he's done wrong?

I wasn't going to post, just grumble and forget, except that when I got home I felt like blowing the frogs up on DarkCats pub server again and I GOT THE SAME FECKIN ERROR. Grrr.

End rant.

Cas :)

KiKAzz
October 8, 2005, 10:59 pm
quote:"'XXXXXXXXXX' Is not a valid integer" error

This is usually caused by a bad installation of Soldat. To solve the problem, you need to reinstall Soldat following these steps:

1. Uninstall Soldat.
2.Delete the Soldat folder to remove any leftover files.
3. Restart to make sure no Soldat files are in use.
4. Install Soldat.
5. Restart to finish the installation.
6. If you still recieve the invalid integer error, then download Soldat from a different location and follow the above steps.

Some players report that a memory managment program called 7-max helps with this problem and the above "Access violation" problem. For more details please visit: http://www.7-max.com/

That could fix your problem?

i am ahab
October 8, 2005, 11:37 pm
lol no hiding the brit in you is there ;p

go look up the marcinowski interview on selfkill. he doesnt answer your question. but he does say that he's become a much better prgrammer since then. and that his code is.... erm... improvable and distinct.

yeah that not valid integer is a memory issue. you wanna see another go make a c program and assign an int a value of 3278937298739821739821789. basically its trying to hold/access something that it cannot store due to its decalred type. for another more worldly instance you have person bob. you fill bob up with battery acid. he wont like it. if you tried to fill bob up remotely using your pc it would tell you error: bob is not a valid battery acid container.

i can also explain ddr vs sd ram in the medium of gnomes and knives if necessary?

Spas-Tard
October 9, 2005, 5:05 pm
Haaa, no need to tell me how to code! I've already released several games. (Go play Ultratron!)

Firstly: reinstalling Soldat is a pain, and it happened to all of our installations on the same day. Independently at home as well. This leads me to suspect it's a time/date related bug caused by an integer overflow in a long. It shouldn't happen. It's not caused by a bad installation as the installations were all working the day before, and had been for about six months. We've been playing for a few years now (beware any server with Get Falg and Spas-Tard! on :D) and this problem keeps cropping up regularly without us otherwise doing anything.

I suspect Marcinowski is reading a date of a file perhaps and subtracting the current date from it and unexpectedly getting a negative number when it wraps around. It'd be nice if he fixed it eh?

Cas :)

Michal Marcinkowski
October 11, 2005, 3:03 pm
I got an error like this while browsing this topic with Opera, seriously.
It's a common error in all programs caused by bad memory managment or something random. I don't know what might be wrong here, if you could specify the exact time when this error happened it could help.

Denacke
October 11, 2005, 3:52 pm
I only managed to get this error in soldat. There must be a work-around :)

BManx2000
October 11, 2005, 11:19 pm
AFAIK the only time I've gotten this error is when I had very few "System Resources" left (whatever those are). Usually this happened when I was running and quitting Soldat a lot (when making maps/mods).