( search forums )
amount of damage in weapon mods required to kill
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
rabidhamster
October 9, 2005, 3:59 am
everyone knows/understands that the formula for in-game damage in weapon mods is speed*(damage written in .ini). so,

speed*damage = instant kill

what's the magic number? the answer is...

hold your breath...

100,000. or 110,000. or something like that.

so, something with a speed of 200 and damage of 500 (or 550) would insta-kill (unless the bullet hit their legs, then their health would only be 10%).

by the way, what section should this thread have gone in? just wondering.

i hope this helped someone.

Captain Ben
October 9, 2005, 4:26 am
Actually the barret's bullet damage is 495, and it's speed is 700.
To tell the truth, you could put your barret's bullet speed at only 75 and it would still kill.

tRaQs
October 9, 2005, 5:59 am
But only closer range :P

Keron Cyst
October 9, 2005, 6:12 am
Multiplication does not work. A negative speed with a very high damage will still kill; I don't think they simply add, tho', and I'm not sure how strong a BV is either.

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 7:38 am
Well, there's two options I can think of.

Damage could be proportional to (the absolute value of) the bullet's momentum. Momentum equals mass times velocity (p = m * v).

OR

Damage could be proportional to the bullet's kinetic energy. Kinetic energy equals one-half times mass times velocity squared (KE = .5 * m * v^2)

Of course, there are many other possible damage formulas, but these are the two which are most significant in real-life ballistics. If you wanted a really sophisticated formula, you could also take the bullet's cross-sectional area into account.

BTW, Keron, there's no such thing as "negative speed", though there is negative velocity. Any formula would use the absolute value of the bullet's velocity, giving you a positive speed from which to calculate the damage. Even if the bullet's velocity were negative (meaning that its position on some axis was decreasing), no negative numbers would be multiplied.

DeMonIc
October 9, 2005, 8:13 am
Soldat's weapon settings are tricky, since if you'd give the same amount of damage and bullet speed to two different guns, their damage would still be different. That's why one has to tone the weapons one by one, although we did make a chart during the beta tests about how much damage certain weapons done on torso/head/leg hits with one bullet.

Lowhunter
October 9, 2005, 7:10 pm
of course!

Lowhunter
October 9, 2005, 7:11 pm
lowhunter-killer=killer desperados

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 7:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcSoldat's weapon settings are tricky, since if you'd give the same amount of damage and bullet speed to two different guns, their damage would still be different.
You test it at long range, right? Because my tests have shown that the only important thing is bullet damage*velocity, but I tested close range only (so the only velocity that could happen was the initial). Different bullets probably behave in different ways, I mean things like gravity, air viscosity, etc.

As for the thread topic, bullet damage*current_velocity = 68400 deals 100% of health to the torso in realistic mode.

SERIAL KILLeR
October 9, 2005, 7:48 pm
Yeah your right right.

And for normal mode its :

DAMAGE * BULLET_SPEED = 160000 deals 100% of health for normal mode
Or
DAMAGE * BULLET_SPEED * 0,000625 = Healthdamage in %

But this only applies at 0 range! Damage can drop a lot over distance.

Swarmer
October 9, 2005, 11:23 pm
why are chainsaws listed at doing an incredible amount of damage, but sometimes hitting someone will do only 99% damage?

xtishereb
October 9, 2005, 11:31 pm
...There's too many nonconstants to create a simple formula to explain the damage at all times. While it is going to work with the damage at 0 m (or ft), it's going to be too hard to determine how bullets lose speed over time.

T-Money
October 9, 2005, 11:33 pm
@Swarmer- I think it's because the speed is very low. I might be wrong.

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 11:41 pm
Screw the plain kill figures, Just pulverise them! Set the damadge to 11500, speed 500, no bink or move acuracy, fireinterval 0 and reload 10. Its a compete MASACARE!!!
Bulletproof vest is inefective also.

rabidhamster
October 10, 2005, 1:27 am
i think i'm just gonna forget that this topic ever existed... michal marcinkowski must've purposely made the weapon modding formula impossible to crack.

btw, the barret speed is only 550, captain ben.