( search forums )
Dead Bodies
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Morrowind_Fan
October 9, 2005, 4:22 pm
I sometimes get shot by someone with a shotgun or else,and fly with and icredible speed and hit someone...Than I came with this idea...
I think that the flying/falling dead bodies should do damage(above a certain speed) if it hits a player...:P
What do you think? XD

Silent Soldier
October 9, 2005, 5:55 pm
I don't know about the damage but the colliding corpses would be neat.

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 6:07 pm
That would rock... Kinda fits in with all the ragdoll ideas that were presented some time ago.

What happened to those, anyway? There were some neat ideas in there.

zyxstand
October 9, 2005, 6:31 pm
neh - it might seem like a really small and simple implementation - but the fact is, player-bodies are never meant to be converted into actual player-interacting objects - that would be rather hard to do - and if big M plans on doing this, then he would spent this new interaction on better ideas than this one*

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 7:43 pm
^^ Are you sure about that? Corpses already have a major affect upon gameplay -- they can cause grenades to explode, and they can massively slow down bullets (a corpse makes pretty decent cover).

This is a cool idea. The problem is that right now, in online games ragdolls sometimes move FAR faster than they should... they'll get killed by a low-energy bullet and go flying across the map for no apparent reason. If that were fixed, I would LOVE this idea, but until then it would be lame.

zyxstand
October 9, 2005, 8:57 pm
you're not entirely correct, f3nyx - ragdolls don't actually cause greandes to explode - it only appears on your screen (prolly only on dedicated servers) but the greande is actually still there... that's the cause of these 'invisible greandes' - and any other interaction with the ragdoll is exactly the same as with a live player - but player's cannot cause damage by merely running into an enemy - so neither can ragdolls (without extensive coding)

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 9:06 pm
I vote we don't fix the superman corpse bug and implement this.
Nothin' better than watching someone get beaned by a flying head.

Keron Cyst
October 9, 2005, 10:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by MuffinI vote we don't fix the superman corpse bug and implement this.
Nothin' better than watching someone get beaned by a flying head.

xtishereb
October 9, 2005, 11:14 pm
I don't think they should do damage, but they should bump into people.

Since they're already affected by bullets, maybe you could try playing ping-pong with a body sometime!

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 11:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandyou're not entirely correct, f3nyx - ragdolls don't actually cause greandes to explode - it only appears on your screen (prolly only on dedicated servers) but the greande is actually still there... that's the cause of these 'invisible greandes' - and any other interaction with the ragdoll is exactly the same as with a live player - but player's cannot cause damage by merely running into an enemy - so neither can ragdolls (without extensive coding)
Really? I didn't know that about grenades. I'm pretty sure they really do explode in LAN/offline games, though.

I think "extensive coding" is a huge exaggeration. Checking for collisions is NOT HARD, especially in 2D, and especially when you already have collision checking for bullets, ragdolls, etc.

I did just think of something, though -- having ragdolls do damage wouldn't really make sense as long as Soldats can still run right "through" each other, which is rather important to many fights... so I'm against this idea.

zyxstand
October 10, 2005, 12:36 am
yeah - if anything that we should implement that soldats can push each other (even against your teammates) by siumply running into each other... and if you run against someone proning then you trip over him and fall down and have to wait a like a sec or so to get up*

numgun
October 10, 2005, 4:01 pm
¨lol this could be funny:
im running forward and i suddenly see sumthing flying at me!
me: is it a bird? is it a barret bullet? omfg!! its a flying corpse!!!AAAR!!!... *pwned*

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 2:41 am
How about a solid corpse, that you have to walk over?

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 1:32 pm
What if the "rag dolls" just simply knocked the gun out of someones hand. I don't think that would be to hard, just flying corpses though, not real people running into eachother, that would be havoc.

Morrowind_Fan
October 11, 2005, 1:41 pm
Yeah,if the real players ran into eachother wouldn't be fun.:/
I haven't thought of this...But the corpses and real players could be seperated,couldn't they?

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 6:35 pm
So with barrets, their head flys off at super high speeds... DOBULE KEEL

I don't think it would make much of a difference, probably annoying, at any rate.

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 11:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by ZamorakSo with barrets, their head flys off at super high speeds... DOBULE KEEL

I don't think it would make much of a difference, probably annoying, at any rate.

Thats why I said, if implimented, your gun drops out of your hands. Cause I kill is unrealistic. But who wouldn't drop their gun if a 200 pound corpse hit you.

Deleted User
October 12, 2005, 4:48 am
I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the initial post.

Blue Devil
October 13, 2005, 9:48 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyx
I did just think of something, though -- having ragdolls do damage wouldn't really make sense as long as Soldats can still run right "through" each other, which is rather important to many fights... so I'm against this idea.

erh..? ok? You play a game were ppl are carrying miniguns and flies with jet that they got in their boots becaus IT SHOULD BE REALISTIC??? Now that is just awesome!

I am here to have fun!! And I think it is fun when having a 3v3 battle in ctf_run (all auto). And it would be more fun and intens and crazy and havocy if you could be damaged by the others corpse! that would be great!!
But im just afraid of that it may caus more lagg, and lagg isnt what we need. And MM should have this last on his to-do-list. other things are more necesary.

dr.ON
October 13, 2005, 11:40 am
Just guess how much time MM should kill for coding that :E, And actually for that moment Boddies falling in different way when they are being seen from unsameother pc's

warpo
October 16, 2005, 6:49 am
maybe the bodies shouldn't disappear when you spawn...like stay for about 30 seconds r less.
thinks....
Knife Man: HAHAHAHAHA CHAINGUN MAN..GOT 0WNED BY KNIFE!!!!!AHAHA
Chaingun Man: STFU NEWB
Knife Man *stabs dead body*
Chaingun Man:oh yeah im feeel so disrespected
knife man: *pulls out a spaz and shoots body*
*Body flies and hits chaingun man*
Chaingun Man:ow mother[CENSORED]er!!!!