( search forums )
animals
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
zyxstand
October 9, 2005, 6:33 pm
wouldn't it be nice to be able to play around and come across a real, live animal?
like a deer or a bigger bear or fast running tigers*
something that just runs around and when a person comes across one of these animals, then the animal could also attack (prolly not a deer - it would jsut run away) or you can just take cover behind one. and when you run across a bear and he manages to attack you, then he should get a one-hit kill.

comments/suggestions?

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 10:07 pm
Hmmm... NPCs (outside of the bots, of course) could lend some humor to a game. It certainly isn't practical, but then again there's not much to Soldat that is. I've already got ideas stirring in my head...

You could make a zoo map where the animals have been released, or a safari map with packs of lions running about... An urban map with pedestrians that can get caught in the crossfire... Oh, the possibilities.

This would be icing on the cake, but it'd be pretty darned good icing. I'd rather see animations, gravity, and lighting first, though.

Keron Cyst
October 9, 2005, 10:27 pm
Just unleash some random Boogie Men on Delta team in CTF...

xtishereb
October 9, 2005, 11:20 pm
It's interesting, I like the idea about an urban map with pedestrians. Maybe you could lose points for killing certain types of NPCs, or create a new game type called "Hunt" where each team has to kill as many NPCs as possible.

Hoodlum
October 9, 2005, 11:38 pm
I'd like to see a new game mode called like Hunting or something.

F3nyx
October 9, 2005, 11:49 pm
Uh, WTF? This isn't My Big Soldat Adventure in the Woods.

I like Keron's idea, though... there oughta be a "fight off the zombies" game mode.

zyxstand
October 10, 2005, 12:33 am
it's not rly 'keron's idea' - they already have plenty servers with that
and a 'hunting' game would definitely be fun!
at the beginning, all players (les say 8) would be released into the woods from one side and their mission is to kill as many bears/lions/w.e animals without hurting other ppl - with rugers cuz they closely resemble hunting rifles. or maybe tranq-guns...who knows
and what about birds? or clay disks? could be good practice!
like a map where you're on a boat at ocean and just relaxing and having a good time - and clay disks (forgot what they're called) would be launched and you have to shoot them down...kinda like in super mario the duck hunting game lol

xtishereb
October 10, 2005, 1:30 am
Clay pigeons? They're more fun to shoot with shotguns. It would be nice to have target practice like this. But for now, you could make some bouncy polys and have the spawn point for some teams be above the polys, and set it up so that the players bounce at an angle over an island or something, and you have to blow them away.

To make a "zombie mode", go on Bravo team in an inf game and type /addbot1 Boogie Man (or whatever the name of your zombie bot is) and hit enter. Then, hit / twice and enter again. Repeat as nesicary, until you get as many zombies as you want (hit F1 to see how many you have). For even more fun, turn on Advance mode. Nothin' like bustin' some caps in a zombie so you can get the minigun and bust even more caps.

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 2:11 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyxUh, WTF? This isn't My Big Soldat Adventure in the Woods.

I like Keron's idea, though... there oughta be a "fight off the zombies" game mode.

That's the funniest thing I've heard today. Anyway, I kinda would like a 'hunting' style match.

Keron Cyst
October 10, 2005, 2:18 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandit's not rly 'keron's idea' - they already have plenty servers with that...
What? I have never played on a two-team server where members are on 3+ teams. Never...

zyxstand
October 10, 2005, 3:23 am
i've played on a few - they're often times called 'zombie server - join bravo' or sometrhing like that where they have like 30 boogie men running around with saws - and sometimes, they even put the sscc on them to make them look green like real zombies.

im Spicy
October 10, 2005, 4:51 am
BAH....npc's would just lag the game.

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 6:51 am
your right, but it would be fun, fightoing with pedestrians running around the map. they could just be bots that run from the players and bopts ratehr then follow

Swarmer
October 10, 2005, 6:51 am
I would indeed enjoy chasing down squirrells with a chainsaw. sounds worthwhile and useful.

numgun
October 10, 2005, 4:05 pm
animals!
let me suggest one: GODZILLA!!!!
a huge lizard cruching every1!!! cool huh?

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 4:52 pm
Yeah--imagine a huning mode where there are a bunch of dinosaurs/zombies/rabbits-from-Monty-Python/LOLs that the soldats have to eliminate... The enemy team would be said NPCs, which would have super health, regen, mad power and speed, etc.--Not your everyday bots by any means >:)

Have it take place on a dark map with lots of cover, and you'd have one mean game of Soldat.

Perhaps they could even be customized like normal bots, with the following settings as a start:

Size--Three sizes would exist: small (half-soldat-sized), medium (soldat-sized), and large (3 times soldat-sized). That way you could have a wide variety of beasts or whatever.
Primary--The primary weapon the bot would have.
Secondary--The secondary weapon the bot would have.
Speed--The bot's movement speed, of course.
Jetpack--The amount of jetpack fuel, a negative number would indicate infinite fuel.
Regen--The speed of health regeneration, 1 = 1%/0.1 seconds.
Powerup--Infinite powered-up status; 0 = none, 1 = berserker, 2 = predator. Wouldn't need flamer powerup setting since you can just use the Primary setting to give it the flamer, not to mention there's that invincibility issue...
Health--Amount of health the bot has, obviously.
Pickup--Whether the bot can pick up weapons, grenades, and powerups. We don't need dinos with miniguns... Unless it's a cyborg dino, of course.

Besides that, you'd need a gostek for every bot... I suggest each bot would have its own folder that contains its gostek, sounds, taunts, and settings. Just a few real generic/soldat-ish bots (dinosaur, bear, zombie, killer bee, etc.) would be need to be made as defaults, as I can't imagine anyone not having a blast with creating new ones.

Last thing I can think of that would be needed is a customized punch attack for each bot, to compensate for size and so on; a large dinosaur should have a greater range and more power than, say, a wolf, right?

Keron Cyst
October 10, 2005, 6:36 pm
*imagines 2D Dinosaur Hunter*

zyxstand
October 10, 2005, 9:19 pm
and maps should be waypointed such that they would hide behind bushes and when at close proximity, they attack an enemy - and wolves should like attack in packs, dinosaurs can have easy one-hit kills etc.

why not inifite health for one of those npc's with say a flamethrower - then whenever you see him you just run... you run your butt off.

a-4-year-old
October 10, 2005, 9:30 pm
atack dogs!!! being mauled by a dog would be like half the hurt of a hurt poly but like a flame that sticks to you, i can see the apps now SOLDAT ANIMAL MAKER v2.0
I LOVE IT!!! i hope it works, but will we need to have ANOTHER set of WAYPOINTS? or will they run around randomly. "Jetpack" you mean like birds n stuff... WE NEED ALAGATORS!!!!11!!1!!!1! CHOMP!

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 9:38 pm
Well, you could have birds, you could also set it to 0 and have alligators. And then there's everything inbetween.

Infinite health I suppose would be set by... Hmmm, a negative number wouldn't work, so... Maybe just an invincibility boolean (true/false) value?

zyxstand
October 11, 2005, 12:05 am
why? a negative number could easily work.
wow, i can see it now:
[zysstand] THERE"S A BIRD - GET IT!
[Hunter Supreme] He's so MINE!
*starts running*
[zyxstand] GET HIM BEFORE IT ESCAPES!
[Hunter Supreme] don't worry
*crouches down with ruger, waits 3 seconds and fires*
Hunter Supreme killed Bird-01 -- Ruger
*dog runs after dead bird to retrieve it*
[Supreme Hunter] hmmm... looks like we're gonna be cooking eagle tonight
[zyxstand] yum!

a-4-year-old
October 11, 2005, 2:41 am
lol... in age of empires II i remember a flying dog you could make in the campain mode he would just fly around not doing anything "like the hawks in the game" it was black and has an orange cape THAT is gaming at it's best,

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 4:14 am
If you didn't accept the military base in Sim City 2000, Maxis Man would show up for a quarter of your disasters to save the day. Also, if you were real lucky, you could catch a glimpse of Nessie near a marina.

As for health, negative numbers wouldn't work, because if they did you wouldn't die when you're hit with a barret or something and you're already wounded.

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 8:06 pm
This does sound very fun, don't know if it will ever happen though.

Da cHeeSeMaN
October 12, 2005, 6:45 pm
LOOK BOOGIE MAN A TORO IS CHARGING YOU
*brrrrrrrr*

a-4-year-old
October 14, 2005, 10:40 pm
omg i just realised! you could make veicles with this! you can't get im them but imagine a level where it is just blue aggenst a tank that respawns in inf!!! its got a minigun and a law type launcher that killz every 30 or-so seconds

Deleted User
October 14, 2005, 10:43 pm
Lol, not a bad idea.

Deleted User
October 14, 2005, 10:50 pm
That would be cool if Micheal made the sky more realistic. Also, like if a place wasnt disturbed for more then 10 seconds little birds would fly down and when you passed by theyd fly away, and yeah lol... But the idea od crazy man eating tigers running lose around the map is dumb. Lol.

tRaQs
October 14, 2005, 11:06 pm
Haha that would be great, imagine on parts of levels, where there is a pit, and if someones body falls in (dead or alive) the lion will rip your soldat apart, your head may go flying, or you could possibly kill it and hop out.

Could you imagine vultures picking at your body?

Shooting clay disks(really small and fast) would be fun too, and good aim practice.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 12:00 am
Vultures! Lmfao!

tRaQs
October 15, 2005, 12:59 am
So that's a yes? =D

xtishereb
October 15, 2005, 2:38 am
Hey, what about chainsaw hunting? You get a chainsaw and fly up to birds and prep it for the oven! Then you can switch to the flamethrower and cook it and eat it for a health boost (somehow).

Yeah, it's stupid.

Ambient animal actions would totally pwn. Just as they have in all other games (Diablo II, SSX3).

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 2:38 am
the naimals should come with the map.....so urban maps wouldnt have animals in them and woods maps wouldnt have poeple running around in them

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 2:40 am
Good ideas, but lets not make things too complicated here, Soldat is a simple game. Thats why it is so good.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 4:10 am
Although the possibilities for customization would be flipping crazy, I don't think it'd complicate the actual gameplay much... In the end, the way you would interact with these super bots would be the same--shoot them until they stop moving, and then shoot their corpses for the hell of it.

Also, I figured the super bots being a part of the map data would be a given, so that you wouldn't end up being eaten by mutant cyborg dinosaurs with laser eyes in a cornfield in Kansas. Well, unless you wanted it that way. Then you'd just stick it in the map data.

Lastly, while typing this post, I realized that if this were to be implemented, someone would have to set up an infiltration server with a bunch of those bugs from Starship Troopers making up the entire alpha team.

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 5:03 am
and think about it! you could actually pump BUCK full of BUCKSHOT! and barret an attack-dog and shoot at endangered species with an m79!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 3:44 pm
Hahahaha, were just pulling out ideas Meep, having fun. Well I though that maybe there could be a Desert Map, where it would be filled with a sandstorm in the background, cactuses that would hurt you if you came to close.. and vultures that picked at your body.. lol!

numgun
October 15, 2005, 4:41 pm
meh... if this would be implemented, i would make sentinels like in halo! i would be cool to shoot them down one by one when theres about 10 shooting lasers at u!

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 10:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascoothe naimals should come with the map.....so urban maps wouldnt have animals in them and woods maps wouldnt have poeple running around in them

stray cats??? or black cats and then you get ambushed by boogie man!

zyxstand
October 15, 2005, 10:16 pm
...so how would it look to see a wild animal span... would it spawn like other players? or would ther be a game mode called "extinction" in which your job is to go around and kill other animals before they 'reproduce' and overwhelm the map...and animals get born that way (full sized adults)...

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 11:02 pm
A good question! Throughout the topic I've imagined that the super bots would respawn like normal at their own spawning locations, and set them to whatever team for the team modes... So in a CTF game you could have a super bot on alpha team trying to capture the bravo flag, or vice-versa, or both... And if you wanted the bots to kill both alpha and bravo teams, you could just set it to delta team or whatever.

Yaknow, that'd be interesting... Alpha team storming into bravo base to the steal the flag, only it's not there because the Yeti or whatever ran off with it.

zyxstand
October 15, 2005, 11:16 pm
then maybe we should start to introduce a new type of team* (or teams) - a 'neutral' team. bots and animals can be placed in that team. some thoguhts about it: options that let you choose how neutral bot will react: attack back when getting attacked, stay neutral even when under fire (just run around), and always run away from any enemies, etc. ...

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 5:49 am
thats a good suggestion right there zyx, much like how empires had the gaia team, hmm yeah good work

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 6:05 am
Nice idea ZXY, that would work.
You'd have to add "netrual" spawns to the maps (Or at least the ones where you want netruals) though, but its hardly much work :)

Metatag
October 17, 2005, 9:12 am
Hehe, I want little pitfallish ponds full of floating gators ;)

My problem with this is the small scale Soldat has, I can't imagine the tiny levels being packed with minianimals or something.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 9:35 pm
Well, that would depend on the people making the maps, and if they're stupid and abuse the bots :P

a-4-year-old
October 17, 2005, 10:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taalthats a good suggestion right there zyx, much like how empires had the gaia team, hmm yeah good work

empires is great!
but really gaia is when you get close to them you can control them (like converting ppl with a monk) whitch should also be an option, like an intrepid-militia person that has a pitchfork and torch! that would be cool!

Deleted User
October 18, 2005, 6:13 am
hmm lets not make this too complecated yet, lets stick with non agressive animals and bots

zyxstand
October 19, 2005, 1:21 am
also, i'd say let there be an editor to create such animals/other things - and give it a HELL of a lot options...here are a few:
- instant kill on touch: if you touch it, you will die. of course you're gonna have to tell how it looks like (size, shape) to be able to identify collisoins, etc.
- special weapon(s): some special weapons that only the created things could use such as 'laser' or maybe have a customized weps (modded if you need (but none that reg. players can use))
- have various guns out at a time
- also control of weapon; locked or not - this means whether he can aim in all directions or whether it's just locked. this can help for creating a 'vehicle' that has chainsaw sticking out of it to make it look cool.
- etc.
- "flaming" so that anythng that touches it gets hurt afterwards?
- ALSO, look up the topic on options for bot editing (ie, adjust speed, etc.)
- customizable frames for everything; running, misc., death (like car make it explode for example), etc.
- gravity affected
- health!

have some that come by default with soldat and if it's customized, make it available for download (this includes everything that CAN be customized (frames, guns, etc.)

the only problem that can come from vehicles is that you couldn't make it rotate as it would when going up-hill or over difficult terrain.

Deleted User
October 19, 2005, 3:33 am
meh id just like a bot option to make it run away from you instead of be all agressive

zyxstand
October 20, 2005, 3:26 am
i want soldat to be more customizable with tiggers and a lot of crazy stuff...
but i think that Michal just wants to keep the game all to himself and not give it away and therefore the game will not get enough extensive work to enhance it to such an advance level...

~Vin~
October 20, 2005, 4:12 am
Dude imagine instead of animals there were people! Muhahahah
See how many people u can kill while they run away....that waould be sweet

Lord Boxtop
October 20, 2005, 4:19 am
Yeah, like GTA. It would also be pretty cool to, say, be able to have your own attack animals/robots/zombies/whatever that you can sic on other Soldats. All will tremble at my zombie minions!

rafterman
October 20, 2005, 6:22 am
good for a mod for soldat....

Deleted User
October 20, 2005, 7:24 pm
Heh, people was one of the applications for the bots that I mentioned early on. Would be neat to have civilians running around in an urban combat map.

Sk8er
October 20, 2005, 7:27 pm
This is a LOL

a-4-year-old
October 20, 2005, 10:06 pm
the npcs do a /victory and have a taunt that says DON'T HURT ME!!!!

Veronica
October 20, 2005, 10:43 pm
Can't you just go make Soldat RPG and add animals there instead? It's enough to get killed by red walls, floors and roofs besides the other players/bots allready...and Im sure some [CENSORED] would love to add in all cute pets just to kill them. I say no thankies :)

Chonoryoku
October 20, 2005, 10:54 pm
I don't really support animals, but NPC bots would be cool.

Lord Boxtop
October 21, 2005, 4:31 am
Why not, instead of having animals all over a map, add a new mode called Alien Hunt or something where you and a squad of your Soldat buddies go bound around a sci-fi themed map blasting at aliens for points? Or have two teams go at it and see who can kill the most Aliens in the alotted time?

Deleted User
October 21, 2005, 6:21 am
That'd be the same thing as the Hunting Mode mentioned earlier in the topic, except you'd be replacing the bears/deer/whatever with aliens. Or people. Or LOLs.

nfsjunkie91
October 21, 2005, 10:49 pm
quote:
Originally posted by zyxstand
- also control of weapon; locked or not - this means whether he can aim in all directions or whether it's just locked. this can help for creating a 'vehicle' that has chainsaw sticking out of it to make it look cool.

remember what happens with vehicles, if not, goto the fan art section and look for rise of vehicles

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 3:22 am
he didnt mean it like that, but the non aggresive npcs wouldnt use weapons. yeah zyx i wish soldat had triggers, im sure it will soem day

Deleted User
October 22, 2005, 3:04 pm
This is the Soldat Improvements Discussion board, dammit!

bond_james_bond
October 23, 2005, 2:28 am
Animals but they're part of the game. You can't shoot them or anything

Deleted User
October 23, 2005, 4:20 am
Im surprised this topic got this far. Lame idea, more better things to be implemented then animals.

Stern
October 25, 2005, 2:48 am
Animals would be the shiite. They could be either part of the scenery or an actual part of the game where they could kill you and you could kill them. Also, that hunting mode idea with rugers and knives would be awesome, and you would lose pts for killing ppl and get points for killing animals. The bigger and harder to kill the animal is, the more pts you get for killing them.

zyxstand
October 31, 2005, 5:31 pm
sry for having been away for an entire week - damn hurricane made me loose connection for an entire week. (You try to not use the internet for an entire 7 days - it'll drive you CRAZYYYYYY!!!)

if soldat could be modable (like half life) then ppl could come out with the coolest mods - like "Alien Blaster" or "Graveyard" with zombies coming out of old gravestones or the like*