( search forums )
P2P Filesharing
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Michal
October 9, 2005, 6:44 pm
Faced with the untimely demise of WinMX, I was forced to find a new P2P program.
BitTorrent is good for large files, but not for single mp3s. There are mostly whole albums, and if I want the whole album, I'll buy it.
So after about a days worth of trying out different clients I finally came across a program called Peanuts...
This program was made by the iMesh Light team (these guys took the spy/adware out of iMesh, another p2p proggie), I tried iML but peanuts is far better. Peanuts connects to all the biggest networks simultaneously: Ares (Ares Client), FastTrack (Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, K++, etc.), Gnutella (Limewire, BearShare, Shareaza, etc.), and a few others.
So you can search all these networks at the same time (or one at a time if you choose), and find pretty much anything. It's great for more obscure files.
And it's fast as hell compared to other clients I used.

These are the features listed at the official forums:

Peanuts 1.0

- No Spyware, ads and pop-ups
- Connect Ares, Fasttrack, Gnutella, OpenFT, OpenNap and iMesh2
- Search simultaneously on all networks
- Supports plugins
- Fully compitable with SP2
- Supports Sig2Dat and Magnet
- Tabbed searching
- Disabled webcontent
- Multi-language
- Simple Usage
- Cinema Visaluations

I had to do some tweaking to connect to all the networks (due to firewall restrictions, the forums were very helpful), but it was well worth it.
The only way it's lacking is visuals, but it works so damn well I just don't care ;9

Of course, like with any p2p program you have to watch out for fake files and viruses, but you should have anti-virus anyway, and fake files aren't too hard to spot :P

I did spyware checks with adaware, spybot, and MS antispyware, it's clean.

Peanuts Forum
Official Download Mirror

karmazon
October 9, 2005, 7:18 pm
wowowow that [CENSORED]'s fast

too bad it doesnt connect me to anything else than fasttrack network

Michal
October 9, 2005, 7:42 pm
When I first ran it I could only connect to FastTrack and OpenFT.
This is where you'll most likely have to do some tweaking, this thread explains everything:
[URL]
After doing everything in the previous thread if you still can't connect to gnutella (I had this problem) try this thread:
[URL]

It looks like a lot to do but it only took me about 40 minutes in total :p

karmazon
October 9, 2005, 7:46 pm
The search is fast but i have to wait years for the download to even start

DELETED

n00bface
October 9, 2005, 8:24 pm
Peanuts is horrible..sorry. But I find soulseek has way more than Peanuts does even when connected to all the other mediocre p2p networks. You should definitely try Soulseek. If there's something you can't find on soulseek, chances are that there is a discussion room dedicated solely to the genre of music you are looking for. If you join the room, you can search from all the users in the room and find more dedicated results.

b00stA
October 9, 2005, 8:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by n00bfacePeanuts is horrible..sorry. But I find soulseek has way more than Peanuts does even when connected to all the other mediocre p2p networks. You should definitely try Soulseek. If there's something you can't find on soulseek, chances are that there is a discussion room dedicated solely to the genre of music you are looking for. If you join the room, you can search from all the users in the room and find more dedicated results.

I agree with Soulseek being great, however it's unbelievably unstable for me. It just keeps crashing so I stopped using it.

I'll just try Peanuts :)

Michal
October 9, 2005, 9:36 pm
Peanuts does not have a specific search function like other clients (where you input bitrate, artist, etc.)
Instead it can use a filter, go to:
Options->Options->Search. Then check "Show filter tool for every search"
Now when you do a search in the upper right of the new search window is the filter.
Whatever you put in the field will remain in the results.

peemonkey
October 9, 2005, 10:22 pm
vinyl.

Deleted User
October 9, 2005, 10:29 pm
where do one find soulseek?

The Geologist
October 9, 2005, 10:32 pm
Torrent sites are the way to go.

Milkman Dan
October 10, 2005, 5:49 am
b00sta, I used to have a problem with slsk being really unstable but I updated it and it hasnt crashed in ages.

FliesLikeABrick
October 10, 2005, 7:32 am
DC++ > *

I've been using it for years and always found what i'm looking for

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 11:04 am
I bet none of them work on the proxy server I'm behind.

:(

Deleted User
October 10, 2005, 1:18 pm
I mostly use Kaza lite++ but I dont often find what im lookin for..

wait.. I tought it was illegal to discuss p2p here??

MOFO NOFO
October 10, 2005, 1:51 pm
go emule

i am ahab
October 10, 2005, 2:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFOgo emule

yeah i like being able to access my emule from another pc as it generates me html telling me whats going on ^^

Melba
October 10, 2005, 3:43 pm
Does peanuts have seperate directories for unfinished- and finished downloads?

?
October 10, 2005, 3:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAquote:Originally posted by n00bfacePeanuts is horrible..sorry. But I find soulseek has way more than Peanuts does even when connected to all the other mediocre p2p networks. You should definitely try Soulseek. If there's something you can't find on soulseek, chances are that there is a discussion room dedicated solely to the genre of music you are looking for. If you join the room, you can search from all the users in the room and find more dedicated results.

I agree with Soulseek being great, however it's unbelievably unstable for me. It just keeps crashing so I stopped using it.

I'll just try Peanuts :)

I feel your pain, soulseek works for some people and not others, my brother loves it but I in fact hate it, limewire is great I think, it has not let me down yet.

Michal
October 10, 2005, 4:25 pm
quote:Does peanuts have seperate directories for unfinished- and finished downloads?
Yes, it has an "incoming folder", and then a "completed folder".
(locations both customizable)