( search forums )
OS X
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Texas Ranger
October 10, 2005, 10:51 pm
Maybe you could make Soldat Mac OS X compatible? :) I used to play a looong time ago on my windows but had to stop when i switched to OS X, i still love the game but would like to play it on my new found glory of a computer

zyxstand
October 11, 2005, 12:00 am
eh, it's always best to have a spare windows computer somehwere... though most hated, many popular things run in it*

vash763
October 11, 2005, 10:40 am
I'm in the same situatin Texas.

So I only play everyother weekend at my dads. It's my anti-drug.

i am ahab
October 11, 2005, 10:43 am
does opengl run on os x?

just curious. think it would, as os x has its roots in linux. that'd allow you to write something...

michael won't be writing a linux client though im afraid. thats been said many times. i seem to remember something called the ouden project that was going to be multi os. you could go look that up....

Deleted User
October 11, 2005, 12:38 pm
Sory, but what is OS X?

m00`
October 11, 2005, 1:11 pm
Soldat is too good for macs

frogboy
October 11, 2005, 1:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by i am ahabdoes opengl run on os x?

just curious. think it would, as os x has its roots in linux. that'd allow you to write something...

michael won't be writing a linux client though im afraid. thats been said many times. i seem to remember something called the ouden project that was going to be multi os. you could go look that up....
OpenGL does run on OSX, however DirectX doesn't. Ouden was meant to be a Soldat clone written in C++ and OpenGL, but I think it probably died.

vash763
October 12, 2005, 5:06 am
Ouden?

Texas Ranger
October 13, 2005, 2:26 am
What is Ouden? Looks like a good project, but has it already been developed? and will be it be for the Mac Platform?

a-4-year-old
October 14, 2005, 10:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`Soldat is too good for macs

windows pwned you

tRaQs
October 15, 2005, 1:01 am

What he said.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 5:43 am
buy a real computer, with a mouse with more then one button

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 10:09 pm
im still waiting on my cnrl alt del keyboard!
[IMAGE]

slow delivery ^_^

solohan50
October 16, 2005, 3:02 am
Why don't they make soldat and other games for Apple? Because Apple games don't exist silly.

Koon
October 16, 2005, 3:35 am
Curse you mac users!

Aegis
October 16, 2005, 7:48 am
Macs crash just as often as PCs. There are just more people targetting windows platforms (i.e. malware) because it's used far more, and less intensive software to expose all the little cracks and flaws. Same goes for Linux. (Titanic Syndrome)

As for Soldat on OSX.. it requires too much work for too little return. Soldat is developed by one man, so it would be a fluke of god for something like this to be done.
Ouden does look very promising, if it ever gets done. Though it seems they've clogged it up with more complicated ideas than you can shake a stick at.. That kind of thing kills projects.

UGK
October 16, 2005, 8:20 am

quote:Originally posted by DezonusSory, but what is OS X?

Its a Machintosh comp.

frogboy
October 16, 2005, 8:30 am
quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldim still waiting on my cnrl alt del keyboard!
[IMAGE]

slow delivery ^_^
Ah, I guess they decided to copy Apple for once.

LUNATIC COW
October 16, 2005, 4:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by DezonusSory, but what is OS X?
Mac Operating System 10

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 5:27 pm
Aegis is absolutely, positively correct. In fact, we have a graphics lab at my high school that uses Macs with OSX, and those computers are always spazzing out and stuff... At least with Windows (which XP, by the way, rarely gives me any problems), you can take the error details and then use them to find a solution or whatever on the Windows support site. Mac OSX just gives me "The application Illustrator has unexpectedly quit." No explanations, no error reporting thingameboober--just a polite way of saying "ROFLTATO U R SKREWED."

When it comes to Soldat on OSX, it's quite simple; it will never happen. MM has never intended for it to be ported to any other OS from the beginning. How do I know? If he did intend to release for multiple platforms, he would have coded the game in Java, which is a platform-independent language (all Java code goes through an interpreter, there being different interpreters for different platforms). And yeah, you can make a game like Soldat using Java. They did it with Runescape, and in 3D even (the actual gameplay does suck like there's no tomorrow, but that has nothing to do with the coding).

Deleted User
October 18, 2005, 9:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by AegisOuden does look very promising, if it ever gets done. Though it seems they've clogged it up with more complicated ideas than you can shake a stick at.. That kind of thing kills projects.

Ouden was not supposed to be an exact clone of soldat, it was just supposed to have similar engine. Also it has been dead for like half a year already.

Texas Ranger
October 18, 2005, 10:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaAegis is absolutely, positively correct. In fact, we have a graphics lab at my high school that uses Macs with OSX, and those computers are always spazzing out and stuff... At least with Windows (which XP, by the way, rarely gives me any problems), you can take the error details and then use them to find a solution or whatever on the Windows support site. Mac OSX just gives me "The application Illustrator has unexpectedly quit." No explanations, no error reporting thingameboober--just a polite way of saying "ROFLTATO U R SKREWED."

When it comes to Soldat on OSX, it's quite simple; it will never happen. MM has never intended for it to be ported to any other OS from the beginning. How do I know? If he did intend to release for multiple platforms, he would have coded the game in Java, which is a platform-independent language (all Java code goes through an interpreter, there being different interpreters for different platforms). And yeah, you can make a game like Soldat using Java. They did it with Runescape, and in 3D even (the actual gameplay does suck like there's no tomorrow, but that has nothing to do with the coding).

Well first of all, how OLD are the macs that you are using? Look at the age of the macintosh you are usinga and then look at the Age of XP, granted i'll give you Windows XP is a nice, decently stable OS, however you can be on the internet without getting some time of spyware/malware/virus/trojan/ anything else thats not supposed to be on it. OS X, Operating System 10.2.8-10.4.2 (Jaguar through Tiger) are the 3 OS's i have used in my macintosh life, and they have never once gotten a virus or crashed or done anything, On aim i should have gotten some 4 viruses, but because i was on a Macintosh i was spared, Programs for OSX dont go to the Root of the OS like they do with windows, causing people to make better viruses that make more harm. So again, if the Mac you are using is old, give it some lee way, computers, (good ones) are fairly new. XP is new, and is constantly being updated, So, XP good, viruses bad, OS X Tiger, AWSOME viruses: none (that i or most other people know about)

Deleted User
October 19, 2005, 3:29 am
...I never mentioned malware in any form.

Since you seem to want to discuss the subject, though, I'd also like to note that malware is also completely irrelevent--Macs don't get viruses and malware (and/or whatever else you'd like to call it) because no one makes them for the OS. If Mac OSX was the most popular, I can guarantee you that it would be plagued with all that nasty stuff, and Windows would be clean as a whistle. The exact same goes for Linux, which would actually be even worse because it's open source.
When it comes to malware, viruses, and similar computer infections, it's not the level of security that each OS has; it's simply a matter of numbers. Bonzi isn't going to put forth the effort to make spyware that's compatible with an OS that is used by a minority of the computer population when it can focus on the most popular OS and get the most bang for their buck.

Now let's both of us shut up, because this is the wrong time and the wrong place to be having any kind of stupid argument, much less one that is over the Internet. Afterall, arguing over the Internet is like the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

headstone
October 22, 2005, 2:09 am
quote:Ah, I guess they decided to copy Apple for once.

lol

mac's don't even use ctrl + alt + delete

frogboy
October 22, 2005, 2:26 am
quote:Originally posted by Texas RangerXP is new, and is constantly being updated

XP was released three years ago. Since then, only two major service packs have been released.

i am ahab
October 22, 2005, 11:56 am
quote:
Since then, only two major service packs have been released.

well, if you believe that windows update app that screams for attention unless you shut the lil beggar up, then there are critical updates all the time.

vash763
October 28, 2005, 8:52 am
quote:Originally posted by headstonequote:Ah, I guess they decided to copy Apple for once.

lol

mac's don't even use ctrl + alt + delete

It's not like it opens the task manager, it deletes a whole word at once {which I just found out}. Way to know what you're talking about.

Echo_Trail
October 28, 2005, 9:10 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldim still waiting on my cnrl alt del keyboard!
[IMAGE]

slow delivery ^_^
Ah, I guess they decided to copy Apple for once.

dude.. that's funny! but guys, apple is in the end way better that win/mic.. windows is way to straight, and imac allows you to.. 'bend' the rules! though i do prefer to use windows, i can only suggest that loose users do mac.

anyway, i think they should make soldat for the gaming consoles such as ps2 and xbox :D

vash763
October 28, 2005, 9:23 am
imac is [CENSORED]

powermac/powerbook ftw