( search forums )
Weapon pick up preference
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aegis
October 12, 2005, 2:23 am
Well I couldn't find a previous topic about this but I thought I remembered something about it previously. Anyway it's worth looking at again if there was.
There should be a way to set your weapon pick up preferences for when you're walking around with no weapon. Often I'm trying to grab the one knife in a group of like 20 M79s and it takes 4-5 tries, meanwhile I'm getting shot and naded by the enemy team, and it presents a bit of a problem.
Here's an example: You set a preference for each weapon, 1-14, never or always. Walking over a group of weapons, soldat would grab the one with the highest preference number, or if it has 'always', work like default.Each weapon only gets one rating so you cant have two 1's, two 14's or any other similar conflicts, though you can have as many 'Never's as you want. 'Never' means to never try and grab a particular weapon from the ground, even if there are no others around.

This sort of system has been around for awhile in shooters, so I don't see why soldat could not have such a helpful feature.

F3nyx
October 12, 2005, 6:28 pm
I've wished for something like this before. The main problem I can think of is that it might be hard to determine what constitutes a "group of weapons" -- how close together do the weapons have to be? Say you're trying to retrieve your knife, and there's an AK-74 lying in EXACTLY the same spot. That's no problem, the priorities mean you pick up the knife instead of the AK-74. But what if the AK-74 is a few feet closer to your Soldat than the knife... you might be within pickup range of the AK, but not of the knife, so even though you prioritize knife over AK you'd get the AK.

T-Money
October 12, 2005, 8:16 pm
Perhaps weapons lying one soldat-length apart could constitute a group. My 2 cents.

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 4:54 am
well the loosing is the downside to the knife so we kinda shouldn't get rid of it... i would think it would just clog up the options tab, besides you should join the LAW REVIVAL BRIGADE!!!! well so far it's just me... but eventually people will all use more uncomon/rarely seen weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SPARTAN_III
October 15, 2005, 6:47 am
^^you is a idiot.

or why not a "Press fire to pick up [WEAPONNAME] or [INTERFACE IMAGE] so that you can find the one you want among a group of weapons.

ok, maybe you didn't get that. what i mean is when you stand on top of a weapon on the ground while barehanded, the interface picture of that weapon should appear on the screen, maybe somewhere in one of the corners. you would then click fire to pick up the weapon.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 10:17 am
Or maybe you could click the weapon to grab it? I like this idea. Very helpful, especially in rambomatch.

Blue Devil
October 15, 2005, 11:37 am
quote:Originally posted by T-MoneyPerhaps weapons lying one soldat-length apart could constitute a group. My 2 cents.

T-Money said it.