( search forums )
Small PiP (just for fun)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Smeep
October 13, 2005, 6:31 pm
PiP: Picture in Picture.

I thought of this just now, It would be a nice little add on to the game, but nothing necersary, so if everyone votes no, then that's fine by me :)

But yeah, a small set of windows on the left, which are switch on/off able, that are very slightly (1 maybe 2 pix) bigger than a soldat. Then, all your team mates little pics are in there. When they get shot, it should flash red, so that team mates can respond accordingly. Their health could be displayed by the picture a pixel bar on the left or something.

It'd add to the team side of things (if you choose to have it turned on) and it'd definatly add to the commedy, seeing your mates get blasted through the air.

It may be a little distracting though.

bja888
October 14, 2005, 12:24 am
You gotta remember, some of the fun of the game is you don't always know what is in front of you.

The Geologist
October 14, 2005, 1:04 am
Meh..waste of time in my opinion. Your attention should be on your soldat, not the picture in picture. And ah...I don't know about you, but what kind of detail could you get from a picture that's practically the same size as a soldat? You could barely see anything. Sorry..but useless.

Smeep
October 14, 2005, 1:11 am
Well, I don't know if you read my post thoroughly, but I put forth 2 usefull features of it. (But these, ofcourse, could be seperatly implemented some how)

1. It flashes red when you team mate get's shot. Great for those that don't use team speak and don't want to press T to chat. Or Y for team or whatever it is.
2. It displays your team mates health level.

Sure, you might say, "but how do you know where they are" but hey, A good team stays together. So you know where they are.

Other than that, the only reason I suggested it is because I want to see my team mates get blown away! hehe

By the way, that picture in your signature is awesome.

Deleted User
October 14, 2005, 6:45 am
sorry meep, when the geologist disagrees with you, the majority disagrees with you. its not that were sheep its just hes so damn hot :P. jk, but he has a point, it would be good in other games like maybe GUNZ but in soldat it would be a waste of time

Deleted User
October 14, 2005, 7:20 pm
I could actually see this being used in a commander mode, where you could just select one or more of the soldats' boxes and then send basic commands to them using a small menu or hotkey. That way you'd be able to split your team into two groups, send them on separate paths for an attack from multiple sides, and give commands to each group without cluttering up the chat or confusing things for the other team. Or, you could send off most of your team along a route to act as a distraction while one or two single players sneak into the enemy base...

Soldat doesn't have a commander-type position in teams though, so really it's not something that's necessary or even helpful.

F3nyx
October 14, 2005, 7:50 pm
I would like something similar to this for regular, non-Commander players.

What I'm envisioning is a little row of small "pictures in picture" as they're called in the original post. These would be just large enough to show a real-time picture of each teammate at about one-half scale -- in other words, they'd be quite small, but large enough to see whether your teammate is injured, has the flag, is firing weapons, etc.

These could be arranged along any of the screen's 4 borders. So that they wouldn't obscure your aim/vision, they'd fade to transparency as the crosshair moves closer. And they would, of course, be optional.

edit: Just thought of another idea. You know how teammates' names currently move around the screen as a sort of radar? The images could move around the screen in the same way, so you'd get even more information.

xtishereb
October 15, 2005, 1:32 am
It's a cool idea, but it may be distracting.

But this would be totally awesome in specator mode or while waiting to respawn! Think about it, you could chose some options in the menu or hit some keys and now you can see how everyone else is doing! It could be divided into 4 screens and you could keep tabs on 4 people at the same time, or divided into 9, or little PiPs on the side of the screen.

So basicly, not while actually playing. If you're waiting, it would be great to wait without worrying about how your teammates are doing.

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 4:49 am
why??? To look cool? wow, it shur would be distracting having a flashing red thing in the corner of the screen

The Geologist
October 15, 2005, 5:01 am
lol..I do agree that it'd be awesome to see people getting blown away. Yet, if you're a good enough team player to be with them, won't they be on your sreen when they get blown up? Heh heh..whatever, just saying. A novel idea, but I've already spoken my mind on it.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 6:01 am
It might ruin rs, but if it is optional it sounds good.

SPARTAN_III
October 15, 2005, 6:43 am
yes, make it an option. i probably won't use it though.

Blue Devil
October 15, 2005, 11:44 am
quote:Originally posted by F3nyx
edit: Just thought of another idea. You know how teammates' names currently move around the screen as a sort of radar? The images could move around the screen in the same way, so you'd get even more information.

first idea in this idea that I may like. but not with pictures. keep the names, but let them fade to red as the soldats health is decreasing.