( search forums )
1337 Uber Server
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
bja888
October 14, 2005, 1:35 am
I'm willing to do the work if I can get enough support financially and emotionally.

This is what I want to set up...

Server
- 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4
- 2 GB RAM
- 4, 100 GB SATA hard drives in a raid 5 array

Connection
- T1
- Speed (768K up / 768K down) or (1.5M up / 1.5M down)

Site
- The most complete stats available anywhere.
- Totals for all the basic items (captures, kills, favorite weapon, etc.).
- A improved ranking system where even assists are counted.

Renting
- Cheapest you will find. .50$ an hour, 5$ a day, 15$ a week, 30$ a month.
- 15 servers open to the public.
- Some you can only rent for up to 2 hours, guaranteed to be at least 1 available at all times (or I'll set up another server).
- Complete web based GUI for easy to use admin set-up available on all servers.
- Teamspeak server and remote admin access.
- Max players limit not yet calculated.

Public
- 2 always on public servers (1 ctf, 1 ffa or tm).
- 1 popular vote server. Game rules depend on what vote for.
- Small forum. Post as a registered user or anonymous.
- Contest events and play-off matches at least once a year.

(All information subject to change)

So, that?s mostly what I have in mind. I can maintain it all by my self and I want to make most of it automated. Can have a beta version of everything in one month. I have most of the technology already. All you have to do Is convince me it will pay off. So... start convincing

mar77a
October 14, 2005, 1:43 am
Location?

"- A improved ranking system where even assists are counted." - What do you mean with that?

PureGrain
October 14, 2005, 1:52 am
Sounds like a big adventure. Do you think a T1 is going to be enough BW?

We run all of our servers on 100Mbit drops from OC48's or larger pipes.

bja888
October 14, 2005, 12:58 pm
It will be a good start. My biggest consirn is the stats for public so I might have to cut down on rentable servers. Server will be located in central florida.

PureGrain
October 14, 2005, 1:05 pm
There is a nice data center in Miami Florida, why no Co-Locate your server there and get it on a GREAT connection? T1 is just not enough much less a partial T1. You need to research all options if you plan on this being a "for profit" venture. If you just want to do it for the "[CENSORED]'s and giggle's" then you would be fine with the T1, just do not expect to get 15 servers full of people running at once without some "lag".

FliesLikeABrick
October 14, 2005, 3:09 pm
how much does this datacenter charge for colocation? (1u server)

bja888
October 14, 2005, 4:58 pm
Well, I'm doing it for the programming aspect. I want to change all the options of a server from a web based platform. Also want create "seperior" stats system.

Also I want to see a well done soldat site. The offical sites work well but arnt visually appealing. And the "good" clan sites should just be one big image with a few flash plug-ins to screw up you computer.

PureGrain
October 14, 2005, 6:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickhow much does this datacenter charge for colocation? (1u server)

It depends on the data center adn the connection speed you want. Also the amount of bandwidth. You can get into a data center for about 300-400.00 a month for a connection of 100Mbits with about 1200GB BW. That of coarse is a rough estimate so do not quote me on that. ;)

Most of the time for smaller companies or smaller host's I would suggest leasing a server for around 149.99 a month to run their websites and maybe a few game servers from. That is a dedicated non-managed server. Again it would depend on the needs of the server.

bja888
October 14, 2005, 9:46 pm
Ok, wait. Idea! Insted of my doing my server thing and compeating aginst both of your respective companys how about I work for you? I have the skillz and I don't wanna turn you two into enmies. All that means is converting your sites to ASP.

Which knida sucks for u13 because they just went linux. No big deal, host the site on windows and the games on linux. I saw a linux C# compiler somewhere so the stats gathering program will still work :)

PureGrain
October 14, 2005, 11:28 pm
lol.. Just so you know, I did not feel as though either of us was competing against each other to sell you anything, i was just giving you optional advice. And sorry we are not hiring. I prefer LAMP myself, maybe you can find another company whom uses windows.

bja888
October 15, 2005, 12:44 am
Company? Your kidding right? Your site looks like a template and it bairly works. Have you hard of a web designer? You know these people are so good they actuall work for money!!

PureGrain
October 15, 2005, 3:13 am
Yeah my site may look like a template because I design templates. I do all my own graphics and ask nothing from no one. Besides who cares what my site looks like? It does the job and gets the information to my clients. Purpose served. Show me what you got!?!

Lets see this GUI Web Based control panel you have. Lets see anything you got before you decide to bash on others.

Keep in mind I only own about 10 sites that make sales for my company and I am part owner in another online hosting company. I do all of this myself and manage all the sales/service/tech support alone.

All I was "attempting to provide" for you was some help. Next time you post a thread asking people what they think, you should concider the chance of actually getting some help.

bja888
October 15, 2005, 5:12 am
My most recent of 6, I want to re-design the uper right corner but I'm pretty happy with most everything else.
[URL]
I just wish I wasn't pressed for time creating the first few layouts :
When I get time i'll create a demo (that works, unlike yours) of the control panel.

n00bface
October 15, 2005, 6:22 am
quote:Originally posted by bja888My most recent of 6, I want to re-design the uper right corner but I'm pretty happy with most everything else.
[URL]
I just wish I wasn't pressed for time creating the first few layouts :
When I get time i'll create a demo (that works, unlike yours) of the control panel.

First of all, his control panel works fine??
Second, why did you start this flame war for no apparent reason? He gave you some perfectly acceptable and unthreatening advice and you divebomb into a flamewar that was totally uncalled for, over the most untrivial things. Seems to me like more of an ego thing, why did you expect to get a response any better than a big laugh after proposing that two of the oldest, most trusted server owners in the soldat community convert their websites to asp so that a complete stranger (who gave no demonstration or example whatsoever of his superior programming skills) could create a statistics program that seems to do much less than what has already been made?
And last, I'd have to say both U13s minimalist layout and both of the websites linked in PureGrain's signature are both more eye-appealing and functional than the link you provided in your post above.

bja888
October 15, 2005, 8:07 am
"Just so you know, I did not feel as though either of us was competing against each other to sell you anything" I guess i took that the wrong way. After reading it over again it sounds less threatening.
I have yet to view their demo. I tried the username: demo and password: demo and it says wrong pass. Plus 90% the links are "#" and dont go anywhere. At least I have 404s up. I need to stop sleeping. Maybe then I can get cought up on my work. If you would like to see a demonstartion of some of my skills contact my privetly. I have a beta calender script I am testing and I don't wanna post it publicly.

PureGrain
October 16, 2005, 2:17 am
That is for a reason, due to the nature of the control panel. The demo has been taken down while upgrading the newest version.

yes the links are # because that part of the demo is either being worked or is not available yet. The "#" were to keep the roll-over effect working. :)

If you want to demo the Control Panel, I would be glad to set up an account for you to check out.

bja888
October 16, 2005, 3:34 am
Hello! Files? You out there?