( search forums )
ctf_shaded
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 12:35 am
updated: sunday oct 16

ok i'm back again with my fourth map....i worked harder on this 1 because i added shading (hence the name) and some scenery (will finish if maps good enough)...i need some help though, i need someon to make me 2 bridges cause i dont know how (maybe like the 1 in b2b) thats all i need, unless the maps not good...in that case theres no need.

Screenies...
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]

places where you cant see the flag when you're holding it... if you can find em....
[URL]

Download...
[URL]

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 5:20 am
well it kinda looks like you took a few HUGE polys and baised the map around it but hey, thats probably what i would do, if it makes you feel any better my maps are badder (i know worse)than yours! Keep trying

headstone
October 15, 2005, 2:59 pm
Suggestions and comments before I download:

1. Much better, visually, but you could try shading to a darker color as you reach the tunnel, as there is a lot of repetative texture.
2. The tunnel is to straight... a berret could prone at one end and kill anybody in it. Put lots of bumps and at least 2 dramatic drops and climbs.
3. Add floaters in the tunnel (at wide points, like in Laos) and on the surface, for more ineteresting game play.
4. IMO, You should move the tunnel up. Too much wasted space.
5. The scenery looks decent on the surface, but try fooling with different transparentcies, like you see a lot in b2b. Make some in front of the player, and some behind. Add some coliders, and a bunker of some sort.
6. I haven't checked this, but don't make the players span right on the flag area, either above or below, to give the other team a chance of getting it.

Anyway, from the soldat's point of view, this map looks way better than anything you did in the past.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 3:46 pm
thanks i'll keep working on it

The Geologist
October 15, 2005, 7:36 pm
Don't release every practice map you make on here.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 7:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistDon't release every practice map you make on here.

Shaddup!!!
People give me help so i can make my maps better!!!

P.S. i updated my pics and download
P.P.S. i added a floaty-thingy heres the pic..tell me if you like it...theres one on each side of the bridge on the left...(i havent added the map with it yet)
[URL]

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 9:55 pm
Try streching the texture. It looks too linear. Making streches makes the map "flow". When you're doing curves, make them smoother.. You have some smooth mixed with some straighter curves, that doesn't look to good.

a-4-year-old
October 15, 2005, 10:20 pm
that part with the stat gun is too thin, can you say wallshot w/ barret?
keep trying

The Geologist
October 15, 2005, 10:56 pm
Jeez man..relax. It was a serious comment from another map maker. There are numerous ways to get criticisms on a map without releasing it, such as some of the IRC channels. I'm not trying to tell you to not release maps..just take some more time and practice when you do. Something more than a day perhaps? Trust me, you'll see better results if you settle in and really break down the shapes of your maps into a few more polys, and shading will be much much easier.

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 11:10 pm
ok i fixed it a bit..... see he pics:
1)barett shoots and it dsoesn;t go thorugh...
2)stat gun shoots and it does go through...ingenious
[URL]

Deleted User
October 15, 2005, 11:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistJeez man..relax. It was a serious comment from another map maker. There are numerous ways to get criticisms on a map without releasing it, such as some of the IRC channels. I'm not trying to tell you to not release maps..just take some more time and practice when you do. Something more than a day perhaps? Trust me, you'll see better results if you settle in and really break down the shapes of your maps into a few more polys, and shading will be much much easier.

ok, sorry bout spazzing, i was pissed off at me mam cause she was mad i was on the comp all day instead of doing work (yes i do have a social life :P) neways i dont know how to get this "irc" thing so if you tell me, it would be better

P.S. sorry for double posting

P.P.S. i still need sum1 to make me 2 bridges that actully look like bridges, please.

Belier13
October 16, 2005, 12:23 am
quote:Originally posted by soldier_playaok i'm back again with my fourth map....i worked harder on this 1 because i added shading (hence the name) and some scenery (will finish if maps good enough)...i need some help though, i need someon to make me 2 bridges cause i dont know how (maybe like the 1 in b2b) thats all i need, unless the maps not good...in that case theres no need.

Screenies...
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]

places where you cant see the flag when you're holding it... if you can find em....
[URL]

Download...
[URL]

oh my god, this map is very cool.

and this is so cool so I think this is cool, when I saw this map I was like 'omygod this map is very cool that cant be really cool' but yes it was cool. so I downloaded it and while it was downloading I said '[CENSORED] this is cool' then when the download finished I said '[CENSORED] this cool' again. Then I played the map and it was [CENSORED]ing cool, I was saying cool all the time damn cool you [CENSORED]er

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 12:50 am
quote:

oh my god, this map is very cool.

and this is so cool so I think this is cool, when I saw this map I was like 'omygod this map is very cool that cant be really cool' but yes it was cool. so I downloaded it and while it was downloading I said '[CENSORED] this is cool' then when the download finished I said '[CENSORED] this cool' again. Then I played the map and it was [CENSORED]ing cool, I was saying cool all the time damn cool you [CENSORED]er

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh wtf.........................................r u being serious or r u being sarchastic.............!?!?!?!?

Belier13
October 16, 2005, 1:30 am
what do you think?

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 3:09 am
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuum no??

warpo
October 16, 2005, 7:05 am
looks like b2b b3b....lol

headstone
October 16, 2005, 11:13 pm
Thanks for that helpful comment, Belier13.

Now you can go shoot yourself in the foot.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 10:48 pm
why isnt ne1 dl this map :( does it suck that much??

The Geologist
October 17, 2005, 11:05 pm
Meh...

Deleted User
October 18, 2005, 12:15 am
wtf....i now have 3 downloads who downloaded them??

GAMEOVER
October 18, 2005, 5:51 am
looks like an elf shoe

Deleted User
October 18, 2005, 8:57 am
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERlooks like an elf shoe

xD

Deleted User
October 18, 2005, 10:27 pm
lol

Sliker_Hawk
October 19, 2005, 1:50 pm
Oh I say.
Yeah... It looks a bit.. big.
Oh, and smoothness would be nice; at the curly bits it looks like you just stuck polys there. And I mean SMOOTHNESS, not just curving out the points. Like... Make it look like it's actually been cut from a circle, not a square with curved edges.

Soulsnipa
October 30, 2005, 1:39 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistDon't release every practice map you make on here.

That was a [CENSORED]ing dumbass comment

The Geologist
October 30, 2005, 1:46 am
How nice of you to ignore everything else I said after that. How's life with those blinders on?

As for something that's actually on topic...I suggested other means of getting plenty of help on what to do with his maps in my next post. If he would do it, that'd be great. There's definately been a decline in maps released lately, and if he would really practice and listen to the advice given instead of dogding it with stuff like "it's too hard, so no lolol", then I'd like to see more releases. I don't recall saying anything to the contrary.

Edit: Good job reviving this thread just to make a sentance long, off topic comment.

Edit 2: Save the drama for yo mama and follow your own advice.

Soulsnipa
October 30, 2005, 5:52 am
Im not refering to anything but that comment. I didnt say all ur comments with [CENSORED]ing dumbass. Theres something called a delete button too.

Deleted User
October 30, 2005, 6:40 am
soulsnipa, do you mind redoing you pictures in your link to you maps, i'm too lazy to dl all of em to c what they look like...

Soulsnipa
October 30, 2005, 7:51 am
i cant, the post is locked

Belier13
October 31, 2005, 7:32 am
quote:Originally posted by soldier_playawtf....i now have 3 downloads who downloaded them??

you and your 2 other account ?