( search forums )
Need help with weapons-gfx
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Modding help
some_random_loser
October 15, 2005, 2:26 pm
Oki, I'm making a mod atm :)

I've been able to do most of the artwork myself, but I'm having real trouble with the weapons-gfx versions. They are just too small for my feeble mind to comprehend :p

If someone could give me some help it would be much appreciated :)

edit: I betcha can't spell as bad as me ;)

October 15, 2005, 3:46 pm
um... didn't u aleady make a topicc on this?

heres advice: don't shrink pics. Don't.

some_random_loser
October 15, 2005, 4:18 pm
uhhh, no, this is the first time I've posted this, I just checked my post history and there is nothing like this in there.

Besides, I don't shrink pics anyway...

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 5:27 am
Just post pics of the quake3 mod or your one, so we can see them, and then someone might voulenteer for the weapons gfx.

Meandor
October 17, 2005, 1:28 pm
Shrinking pics is ok, but you have to be careful. You'll have to remove the black outline, the semi-green pixels and fix lightning. I usually resize so I don't lose the proportions, then paint over it. You have to remember that the interface gfx pics are slightly trasparent, so the colours are slightly toned down - in weapons-gfx, they aren't. Which means you might have to reduce the contrast, the lights and the saturation. Watch the height; weapons over 6 pixels in height begin to have a different position depending on the way you're facing, not a good thing. Lenght, on the other side, doesn't affect positioning, though too long/big guns will simply look stupid. Remember that also the magazine affect positioning; to place the mag correctly, clear the original, make the image the same size as the gun's, paste the gun you're making, draw the mag where it is supposed to be and remove the gun (or just use layers if your program allows). Remember that there should be no mag on the actual gun gfx. This way you can also see how big your weapon will be. If you need to reduce the size, I suggest trying with the mag first because often it's not a very noticeable part.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 9:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by MeandorShrinking pics is ok, but you have to be careful. You'll have to remove the black outline, the semi-green pixels and fix lightning.

If that happens during resizing, then your graphics editing program is probably using a bicubic or bilinear method to resize. If you're using a decent program, then you should be able to specify the method--Paint Shop Pro, the graphics editor I have, has a pixel resize method that'll result in a nice, clean resize without any anti-aliasing to deal with.

Oh yeah, I'm also talking about resizing using a menu command for the entire image (for PSP it's Image --> Resize), rather than, say, making a selection and shrinking it.

Just thought I'd mention that.

some_random_loser
October 18, 2005, 11:18 am
I've been doing it like meandor suggested, but they still turn out crap :p
I'll try YoMammas' suggestion, but I don't have the skill for pixel art ^^

Here is my interface (Told ya I suck at pixel art. The Beretta isn't completed btw)
[IMAGE]

Here is what the beretta will be:
[IMAGE]

Sorry for the images if you are on 56K :p

Meandor
October 18, 2005, 1:50 pm
Well, I like pixel resize because for small images it screws up the shape <.<

Keron Cyst
October 18, 2005, 6:46 pm
You suck at pixel art? Actually, IMO that looks pretty good (unless you didn't make 'em :-P). Just put shading for 6, and on the wood for 3.

some_random_loser
October 18, 2005, 9:48 pm
Thx :D

some_random_loser
October 20, 2005, 10:55 am
Nah, I tried doing them and they look like crappy, badly sized plastic guns.

Can someone do them for me?

Keron Cyst
October 23, 2005, 2:22 am
Do what? The Beretta?

some_random_loser
October 25, 2005, 3:07 am
Everthing :p
I've done the interface work, but I suck at the weapons-gfx