( search forums )
THE N00B THREAD!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Dilo22
October 16, 2005, 6:30 am
Either you hate or ya despise 'em! They're the digbats who sit up that high ledge in storm with a barret and blow the living [CENSORED] out of everyone, scoring easy kills, while us normal people work hard on the ground, fighting for our kills. This is the thread to post anything about noobyness in general.

Are you one? Or you against them?
How may noobs have you killed in all your years of Soldating?
Do you ignore them, or slaughter them mercilessly at the very sight of them?

Thats the kind of stuff we're lookin' fer'. (Yep, I said it.)

Anyways... HAVE FUN!

Judge_Man
October 16, 2005, 6:36 am
Noobs are inevitable Mister Anderson.... hmm yeah
I Just hate when i have an ultra noob team on Ctf so it's like 5 vs me... anyway..

That is one great image breaking the signature rules you got there!

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 6:45 am
I am perpetually surrounded by them, it's like some kind of curse. I've given up on relying on my team at all. Dying and dropping the enemy's flag in front of five teammates, only to have them continue to camp and it be returned about fifteen seconds later is an experience that can break anyone.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 7:23 am
Well, you were a noob once, therefore they should grow out of it.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 10:09 am
Just amazed today...the amount of newbies I played with...its...unbearable...I just want to play soldat, but you cant play it when you're killed instantly upon walking 2 steps.

Social Poison
October 16, 2005, 10:53 am
Newbies as you define them regularly suffe the full brunt of my wrath.

CheeseGrater
October 16, 2005, 11:20 am
Big difference between "noob" and "newbie"

Newbies are new to the game, noobs are arrogant little punks that are usually the ones calling others "noobs" when they think they've done something great, or killed by someone better than them. I don't think I need to go into more detail than that.

Internet Slang 101, next class we'll discuss "pwn".

As for the topic, apparently I am one according to some angry Soldat players that I kill often. How many "noobs" that have been killed is impossible to calculate. I just ignore them and kill them as I kill anyone else, sometimes flaunting their stupidity if they try to make a witty remark.

Campers dont bother me as long as they're contributing to the team. If they're doing a good job guarding that flag, good. It lets me not worry about our flag so much, letting me go on the offensive. Fighting campers with barrets is another story... But that's the game, and it's a valid tactic, and it would be hypocritical to yell at the other team's campers when your own team has just as many.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 3:14 pm
quote:As has been said before, "noobs" are people who actually use the term "noob". And yeah, I don't get why people say it, or really any kind of derogatory language. When I make like a sailor, it's because I mean it.

That being said, I do have criteria that separates "novice," "average," and "experienced" players. In fact, it's kind of a theory of mine regarding the evolution of a player's "status" as a player in Soldat:

Novice players use instakill weapons exclusively, regardless of map, opponents, whatever. They are constants, a coefficient in a function that has no variables. My theory regarding the majority of these players is that they believe the "best" weapons overall are the ones that kill in one shot, simply because everything else takes more than one shot (and thus must be better by default), and/or they lack the creativity and sensibility to identify a situation as being better handled with a different weapon. Since they don't know any better, they generally keep on using their one choice over, and over, and over.
This happens to many, many players (especially casual ones, most likely), and once the numbers swell large enough, you end up with them comprising the majority of the population in many public servers. This ultimately creates a gameplay nightmare that consists of players rarely accomplishing more than spawning, firing one or two shots (that don't necessarily hit, of course), and then being killed in one hit, only to respawn and repeat the process. The process often doesn't take as long as ten seconds to cycle through. This is what I consider to be the Instakiller Loop that is the bane of Soldat. Thus, while generally not a real threat to higher level players when encountered alone, in numbers Novice players are capable of effectively ruining the gameplay experience through the Instakiller Loop.
Beginners at Soldat typically start at this level (myself included), and so the number of people entering this level generally exceeds the number of people ascending to the next step.

Average players are those who come to realize for themselves that, in one way or another, the Novice style of play is an inferior way to play the game; I myself graduated to this level when I realized I was trapped in the Instakiller Loop. It is at this point that the player starts to experiment with the other weapons, until they become accustomed enough to one of them to use it with some accuracy; not as easily done as said, considering the exclusiveness of weapons in the Novice level means that they are not accustomed to using the autos or other non-instakillers. However, although the scope of the weaponry utilized by the player widens, it is not by a truly considerable amount; the habit of exclusively working with one gun almost all the time still remains, but the instakilling factor has been removed, effectively ending the player's contribution to the Instakiller Loop. I myself used the ruger almost exclusively when I was at this level.

Experienced players are those who personally come to realize and accept the idea that no weapon is truly suitable to be used exclusively. At this point, the player begins experimenting again, this time taking note of what maps and situations are best for certain weapons when combined with their personal style of play. Embracing all the weapons, the Experienced player becomes far more versatile and dynamic than than players in lower levels, making them generally better players overall.
However, this does not mean that the Experienced player is a "pro" or "leet" soldat. Due to the very wide scope of weaponry used, in addition to varying play styles and overall amount of time spent playing and how it is played (clan member or not, casual or hardcore, etc), the range in skill among Experienced players can vary greatly. I consider myself to be at this level.

It is by these criteria and these alone that I categorize players by. Camping (which I happen to condone) and other strategies/tactics that are considered controversial have nothing to do with it.
Lastly, my theory is one I constructed from my personal experiences as a soldat player, which consists of playing entirely on public servers, and going as far back as when the USSOCOM was the only secondary (whatever that version number was).

Finally, if you actually read all of that, I sincerely thank you for putting forth the time to do so. This thing took me around an hour to type up and revise to my liking, so along with my thanks you can at least be assured that you didn't waste as much time on it as I did.--My own thoughts regarding what constitutes a player's "status" in Soldat.

Off topic: Is it just me or did all the text throughout the forum shrink to a smaller size than normal? It would appear my browser set my text size to smallest for no conceivable reason. :P

mickle89
October 16, 2005, 3:26 pm
hmmm...guess i am an experienced player then :P

Elemental
October 16, 2005, 3:56 pm
Mm..I dont think most people realize it, but those Majors and Soldiers out there were just like you and me. In that I mean, when i was a wee lad of Soldat, I kept my name to Soldier until i thought i was much better. This was so that I could just practice with anonymity. Then, I changed my name. Worked for me ;d

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 4:42 pm
Are you one? Or you against them?

I dont care, they wont listen to me when I tell them to stop. XD
How may noobs have you killed in all your years of Soldating?

Omg, hahahahahaha.. HAHAHAHAHA.
Do you ignore them, or slaughter them mercilessly at the very sight of them?

I ignore them, they cant touch me, but I enjoy seeing them miss and i run up to them while their still proned like idiots, and i smack the weapon away and grab it and shoot them with it. Hahah how fun.

a-4-year-old
October 16, 2005, 7:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by ElementalMm..I dont think most people realize it, but those Majors and Soldiers out there were just like you and me. In that I mean, when i was a wee lad of Soldat, I kept my name to Soldier until i thought i was much better. This was so that I could just practice with anonymity. Then, I changed my name. Worked for me ;d

1:wasn't that milkman's old avatar?
2:i imediatly changed everything, i wanted to do everything i could to not be called a noob newbie nOOb newb NoOb!1!!1!1 or anything else it worked! played with bots on deathmatch n stuff

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 9:42 pm
This topic sucks and is now about trains.

karmazon
October 16, 2005, 9:51 pm
[IMAGE]

T-Money
October 16, 2005, 11:55 pm
wow.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 12:48 am
trains, fast, ninjas, fighting on the top of it, one falls off. the end.

F3nyx
October 17, 2005, 2:05 am
quote:Originally posted by ZambinoThis topic sucks and is now about trains.
[IMAGE]

hay guyz am i doing this rite????

edit for on-topicness:

In Deathmatch, I don't mind noobs at all -- yay, free kills. In CTF, I usually tolerate their presence but wish they'd go away. Given the opportunity, I slaughter them mercilessly, no matter what the gametype. Too many to count.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 3:31 am
I am a noob, and I love it.

Dilo22
October 17, 2005, 4:35 am
:/

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 5:33 am
SPAM ALERT, yeha well if you dont like noobs go on the u13 servers

Captain Ben
October 17, 2005, 7:29 am
quote:Originally posted by S4RI am a noob, and I love it.

b00stA
October 17, 2005, 11:59 am
CHOO CHOO! NEXT STOP: LAMERVILLE
        . . . . o o o o o
             _____      o       _______
    ____====  ]OO|_n_n__][.     |lamer|
   [________]_|__|________)<    |ville|
    oo    oo  'oo OOOO-| oo\\_  ~~~|~~~
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+-+-+--+--+--+--+