( search forums )
Help Your Flagger
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
T-Money
October 16, 2005, 9:39 am
I feel it's time for a darn good rant, because I haven't had one yet and I feel the need to stress this.

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of people who are willing to place all the blame on others while avoiding putting any blame on themselves. This became obvious to me when I went on U13 the other day and started rushing the opponent's base on CTF_Run. I grabbed it five or six times, and every time I lost it because I was double-, triple-, or even quadruple-teamed. Immediately after losing the flag, I would hear something along these lines:

"OMG lith, you suck at holding the flag."

or

"ZOMG GIVE ME THE FCKING FLAG NEXT TIME"

or

"I swear lith, if you lose that flag one more time..."

This is ridiculous. I'm not trying to say it's just this one guy, lots of people do it. If you're willing to blame your flagger for butchering the other team and stealing their flag, running it back to your base while killing off pursuers, and then dying under heavy fire, you should be just as willing to blame yourself for letting all those enemies through and leaving your flagger alone. CTF is a team game, and although it's necessary to retrieve your flag for the capture, you shouldn't just let enemies by and think, "oh, no problem, the flagger/somebody else will handle it." If you see an enemy and you aren't holding that flag waiting for the cap, it's your responsibility to make sure that enemy doesn't get through, or at least make an attempt to kill him. If you fail at that, the least you can do is resist the urge to scream at your flagger.

TheRelinquished
October 16, 2005, 7:06 pm
I dunno, sometimes it does frustrate me if a flagger can't defend himself. I mean, I, as a flagger, don't usually need protection against two or fewer soldats. I really prefer the team to kill the other players before they reach me while getting our flag back, rather than hanging around. However I like having at least one person nearby as a backup in case I die.

It's kind of a weird subject. But all in all, if you're not very evasive, you may consider passing off the flag. Some people are better at carrying, some are better at retrieving. The question is, which are you better at?

T-Money
October 16, 2005, 7:07 pm
Hey, I'm not saying I can't defend myself. I can handle two or sometimes three if they aren't really good, but I'm talking about people letting MARBIRE and a couple others through. That's just not right.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 8:24 pm
Yeah, in public servers it seems like you are on your own for the most part, even though you have a team.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 9:16 pm
I always try to help my flagger, whether it be leading the way back, covering him from behind, or sticking around the enemy base to stop chasers. I'm just telling you that you're not alone.

tRaQs
October 16, 2005, 10:07 pm
I hate it, then people with flag are like "z0mfG teh n00b can't get our flag rturnd so we cn c4p1" and instead if sharing the flag with a another player, they rush enemies base with flag, they're so greedy.

Deleted User
October 16, 2005, 11:31 pm
Well I do a couple of things to help out a friendly flagger.

1. Stick to him like glue, Kill anyone that gets near and try my best to absorb bullets shot towards him. I've been Law'd and M79'd a few times, getting in the way of enemy fire to protect the flagger.

2. Stand my ground. Sometimes I'll let the flagger pass me and attack any enemies that follows. What normally happens is that the enemy will sometimes focus their attacks on me first. before proceeding on to reach the FFC.

3. When I know the enemies are all at their base, I will go to their base and assult them, keeping them from leaving and letting our FFC score. I think its even funner to do with the Minigun :P

F3nyx
October 17, 2005, 2:45 am
I think this sums it up pretty well.

[IMAGE]

Metatag
October 17, 2005, 6:20 am
When I see the flag carrier, I go total secret service and stay right on his side. I shoot too, of course ;)

But yeah, I think that more people should actually work as a team instead of treating CTF as a free-for-all with allies.

GAMEOVER
October 17, 2005, 6:36 am
People wonder why I dont cap much in u13 and this is exactly why. Most of the time you have a team who dont know what their doing and/or just dont care. Nothing is worse to me then holding a damn flag. I hate it more then anything so when I do have it ill either throw it to another player and chase the efc or get very bored and pissed then just leave. B2B is the worst map for this to hate that damn map.

Captain Ben
October 17, 2005, 7:28 am
I hate the flag. Unless I can get it back and cap right away, I'll pass it off to someone else and try to get our lost flag back.

Deleted User
October 17, 2005, 12:22 pm
don't worry t-money just tell them how they are sad [CENSORED]s and they should shutip ;)

SPARTAN_III
October 17, 2005, 2:04 pm
if you have the flamer, you can push the flag around with it. this is good if you need to keep a steady amount of strong firepower and move quickly at the same time. plus if FF is off, your teammates can snatch the flag off the wave of fire.

i hate it when i get blamed for not capping, when half the team are camping and not doing anything.

my advice for ctf games: if you see an enemy, unload your weapon into him! it's not that hard.

Swarmer
October 17, 2005, 7:18 pm
good point f3nyx.

i always just toss my flag to the spawn, and go off and chop up more people. holding the flag is boring.

Ok
October 18, 2005, 3:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERPeople wonder why I dont cap much in u13...

They do? O.o

Keron Cyst
October 18, 2005, 6:59 pm
It really depends on what weapon I have, what kind of soldaten I'm facing, and what map it is. If the match has a flag stalemate and our flag-carrier has someone defending him I try to retrieve, but some flaggers run around stupidly and so I follow them to catch the flag when ("when," not "if" :-P) they die. Of course they don't need protection at all if they're clinging to the wall of ctf_Equinox or behind the map's end in ctf_b2b...