( search forums )
Ctf Hill169, my first.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
TeRRoRinFANt
October 16, 2005, 1:48 pm
Hi. I'm new to the forums, as you can see, and the map is not that fresh - it's been out for a couple of weeks already, but since I decided to join the forums, I also thought about giving more publicity to this map.

It's not boted, includes lots of sceneries which I can't credit now because I don't know who made them (if I only knew, I would, believe me).

That's the overall screenshot, but it's from a previous version, there have been some changes to that...
http://www.soldat-lra.net/forums/files/ctf_hill169_177.jpg

And here's the map:
http://www.soldat-lra.net/forums/download.php?id=55

Obviously, thanx to Leo's for hosting it (AND including it in his mapcycle).
I'm expecting your feedback on the gameplay - I find it okay, there's a lot of what some would call spawning around the bases, it makes the map MP5 and Spas intensive...
Oh, BTW, the map has been made with realistic mod in mind, so I don't know how it works on a normal mod.
Cheers!

Silent Soldier
October 16, 2005, 2:22 pm
As I've played this map earlier in Leo's Real CTF, it still looks neat.

numgun
October 16, 2005, 3:33 pm
good, but the borders look too thin : /
so make em' more fat! : D

¤JOJO¤
October 16, 2005, 4:07 pm
i play this map on Leo's server too, and i like this map, great job

TeRRoRinFANt
October 16, 2005, 4:15 pm
Thanks for the praise, I appreciate it very much. And as for the thin borders, numgun, you are absolutelly right, they are too thin. But as of yet, they are not on the top of my list of priorities in Soldat mapping, so it won't be changed anytime soon... Besides, they're fat enough, small chance you'll go through them. Bullets can, but it makes no difference, does it?

solohan50
October 19, 2005, 6:00 am
Says I'm not authorized to download the attachment...

TeRRoRinFANt
October 19, 2005, 8:17 am
Err... Hmm, maybe... Yea, I think it's just that you should register on Leo's- which was not my point!
So: anyone know a place where I can rehost the map?

Sliker_Hawk
October 19, 2005, 1:54 pm
loox (please don't kill me) nice. Nice shading and such.
As unbalanced as it looks, it's actually quite good. Good job.

You can host it at ripway.com.. Although you need to sign up.

Leo
October 20, 2005, 7:11 am
quote:Originally posted by TeRRoRinFANtErr... Hmm, maybe... Yea, I think it's just that you should register on Leo's- which was not my point!
So: anyone know a place where I can rehost the map?

http://soldat-lra.net/uploads ? :)

dr.ON
October 20, 2005, 11:38 am
hmm, good for 1st :D

TeRRoRinFANt
October 20, 2005, 2:50 pm
:] Leo, that seems to be an appropriate place. I'll do that tomorrow, with the missing scenery file included in the zip.

[EDIT: Uploaded on http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/ ]

Keron Cyst
October 22, 2005, 4:13 pm
Is that your first map, or one of? Looks nice! I see you still don't know about scenery transparency, tho'. You see that cloud in the top-right? Select it, and drag that bar that says 255 down to 128 or so and get that adrenaline surge I did when I saw what happened. And play around with the width & height stretch functions, too :-)

I guess the BG colors are all right, if not a tad bright. The only real color on the polygons is in the top, tho'. You should keep it green 'til about the middle area, and darken the tunnels (to represent light striking from above), and leave the bottom polygons' color alone.

It has potential.

TeRRoRinFANt
October 22, 2005, 5:17 pm
Yes, Keron, it's my first-first ever. Used Polyworks (great, magnificent tool!), took me about 12 hours with all the updates and versions. I know about transparency, it just hadn't occured to me to use it on this map :] Stretch& height used to create a background (like in ctf_Xenonia - visually great map) are also cool functions.
I also know where you are driving at with the darkened tunnels, the white at the bottom was meant to represent rock layers under the ground layer. It obviously should be darkened, but let's leave all those nifty mapping tricks for later maps ;) I've tried that on the map I am working currently on (Kursk-themed, already two weeks overdue), though I admit - I need more practice on advanced shadowing.

Thanks for your input, guys :]